• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PlayStation "SCUF Vantage" Controller Announced

JP

42217351302_11e5d41c61_b.jpg

42217351062_b87778e3e5_k-755x425.jpg

• Side-mounted right and left ‘Sax’ buttons – designed to fit the natural placement of a player’s fingers and provide additional configurability
  • Removable faceplate – makes it easy to change thumb sticks & personalize the controller
  • Advanced audio control for wired connection – a simple swipe of the audio touch bar adjusts the volume while players can keep their hands on the controller
  • Removable vibration modules – players can reduce the weight of the controller and lessen hand fatigue
  • Paddle control system with four removable back paddles
  • A quick-access remapping switch
  • Customizable thumb sticks with 3 different heights in either a concave or convex configuration
  • Adjustable Hair triggers
  • Trigger stops and extenders
  • Choice of D-pads
  • Interchangeable magnetic faceplate
Launching in the U.S. during late summer 2018, the Vantage is now available for pre-order at scufgaming.com or gamestop.com, in a wired-only (USB) model for $169.95 USD (MSRP) and a wireless (Bluetooth)/wired (USB) model for $199.95 USD (MSRP).

More info and images if you follow the links.

PlayStation Blog (USA)
PlayStation.com

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Interesting that these 3rd party PS4 controllers gravitate towards the Xbox controller design...it's almost as if the market is saying something on which design is better...

I will never understand why didn't sony jump on the bandwagon for these pro controllers. There's obviously a market for them

Vawn

Banned
Interesting that these 3rd party PS4 controllers gravitate towards the Xbox controller design...it's almost as if the market is saying something on which design is better...

But the market is 10x more likely to buy first-party controllers over third-party controllers.

I personally prefer the DualShock over the Xbox One controller, though last gen I prefered the 360 controller.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Scuf already made PS4 controllers, what is the difference?

I don't like the look of that dpad. Looks mushy or hard. Unsure whether interchangeability will impact that depending on how it's done.

Droxcy

Might ask the girlfriend to buy me one since I just bought her 2 brand new controllers for V-Day. Always preferred the Xbox 360 & One controllers.

Tarkus98

Options are nice. I would take the wireless/Bluetooth with asymmetrical stick placement so I have the option to switch between controllers depending on the game. I just really can’t see shelling out $200 clams for one. I’d do it for a buck fifty though.

Fbh

Looks good but there's just too many other things I'd rather spend $200 on

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Options!!! Scuf Impact.
sapphire-impact.png

Not a fan of the design of that controller. The design of the grips seems like it wouldn't "feel" right like the base PS4 controllers do. Same issue I have with the Sony Pro controller posted here. All I really want is a slightly heavier version of the base-ps4 controller with good rubber grips and back paddles that can be removed/changed. The diagonal control stick is also a major turn off.

Not a fan of the design of that controller. The design of the grips seems like it wouldn't "feel" right like the base PS4 controllers do. Same issue I have with the Sony Pro controller posted here. All I really want is a slightly heavier version of the base-ps4 controller with good rubber grips and back paddles that can be removed/changed. The diagonal control stick is also a major turn off.
Like this?

4PS-Infinity-pro-landingpage-1.png

Oh hell yes asymmetrical!

Edit: oh fuck no, not for $200 just for wireless
170 and 200 US Dollars.

HOLY SHIT
I want one but it's too damn expensive.
Looks good but there's just too many other things I'd rather spend $200 on

Unless their pricing has changed in the last several months, and you mainly care about replicating the X and O buttons underneath the controller, you can get a Battle Beaver Customs modded PS4 controller for literally about half the price. Should cost right around $100. Since it's a modded controller, it's also wireless.

$200 seems especially insane when you consider that full PS4 consoles have been sold for that price.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
At least they got the stick placement right
Millions who love the DS4 and all the DS4's that keep selling truckloads as the best accessory every month, beg to differ.

Still, $200.00 for a controller, that can break just the same, is all types of NO SIR, that's half the price of a PS4 PRO with a perfectly great controller.

I'd rather buy the madcatz pad as an alternative with 6 buttons than to buy this for $200.00, but great for those who feel the need to have one of them..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HT2TSSQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

LucidFlux

The stick layout doesn't really bother me after many years playing both configurations and even Nintendo's inverse symmetrical layout, but that price... I've been using the collective minds strike pack paddle add-on thingy for a couple years now but it needs to be wired and likes to disconnect on occasion. I'm actually on my second one but when it works it's fantastic and it was only 35 bucks or so. I keep telling myself I'll never spend that much money on a custom controller but now I cannot live without paddles. When this one inevitably dies I might bite the bullet and snag one assuming there is a decent warranty.

Last edited:

Calibos

Millions who love the DS4 and all the DS4's that keep selling truckloads as the best accesory every month beg to differ.

Still, $200.00 for a controller, that can break just the same, is all types of NO SIR, that's half the price of a PS4 PRO with a perfectly great controller.

I'd rather buy the madcatz pad as an alternative with 6 buttons than to buy this for $200.00, but great for those who feel the need to have one of them..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HT2TSSQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At this point, you should just get a job at Sony man. You ARE the ultimate warrior for them.

On topic, I was excited to see this. If it's made as well as the Elite controller, I am in 100%. The first Scuff I bought for PS4 has a battery drain issue now and has to be wired constantly. Good on Sony for sponsoring this and promoting choice and accessibility.

Oh, and that Madcatz controller was hot garbage...

This one is a better option/replacement for the "Vantage" if people don't want to sell the farm completely. I own it and have had good luck with it. Only real downside is that it is wired and the under buttons are a bit too flush with the controller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746PN4PZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For those that missed it (based on some comments) there are 3 products for you

Scuf P4S. The DS4 you love modded
4PS-Infinity-pro-landingpage-1.png

The Scuf Impact
sapphire-impact.png

Same layout as DS4 just a bit wider and bigger overall

And Scuf Vantage
42217351062_b87778e3e5_k-755x425.jpg

Very Different to the DS4.

You may not like the entry price. But there are many options to choose.

Codes 208

Lol like they have a choice.
Indeed. I would take an aysemmetrical controller over the base model.

Plus iirc the 360 and xb1 controllers still dominate the pc world and even nintendo based the switch's pro controller after xbox (technically the wiiu was also a 360 design controller with reverse symmetrical analogs, but changed it to asymmetrical for switch)

Plus during last gen, there were a ton of third party controllers for ps3 with asymmetrical designs

Lone Wolf

I may just spring for this. I continue to play my X over my Pro because I hate the PlayStation controller. I can grab this and hit the PS exclusives hard. The $200 price is a bit ridiculous, but I want it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Indeed. I would take an aysemmetrical controller over the base model.

Plus iirc the 360 and xb1 controllers still dominate the pc world and even nintendo based the switch's pro controller after xbox (technically the wiiu was also a 360 design controller with reverse symmetrical analogs, but changed it to asymmetrical for switch)

Plus during last gen, there were a ton of third party controllers for ps3 with asymmetrical designs

I mean, it's not hard to see that Sony has done little to no ergonomic research on their controller design given it's still just a continued iteration of the Super Nintendo controller they copied back in the 90s.

People forget that the original PS1 controller is literally a SNES pad with handles.

WaterAstro

I mean, it's not hard to see that Sony has done little to no ergonomic research on their controller design given it's still just a continued iteration of the Super Nintendo controller they copied back in the 90s.

People forget that the original PS1 controller is literally a SNES pad with handles.
Nah, it had two more shoulder buttons and the dpad is way different.

thelastword

Banned
I don't like the stick layout, it was one of my favorite things about Sony controllers.
Lol like they have a choice.

Yes, they do have a choice, they always did. Do some research first at least.....

The Hori Pad has been out for a minute and also the Nacon, even with the preferred stick placement for you xbox fans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106XFCPI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXJF056/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

petrus91

Yes, they do have a choice, they always did. Do some research first at least.....

The Hori Pad has been out for a minute and also the Nacon, even with the preferred stick placement for you xbox fans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106XFCPI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXJF056/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Hori pad quality is really terrible, it's not even an "official" third party product. Nacon Revolution is not even wireless and had tons of troubles with Destiny 1, which was the most popular shooter out there.
Comparisons are simply not well placed.
I've grown up with a Playstation controller in my hands and, aside from the stick placing, which is simply a preference, the ergonomics always sucked. DS4 is by far the best controller they've made but it's really behind in terms of ergonomics. Hope next generation's DS gets a little more love from Sony.
And, again, us PS4 players don't have a choice except XIM4 and other similar stuff. That is why the most famous third party producers like Scuf and Razer are always leaning towards different ergonomics. Actually Scuf has every sector covered, they've got the 4PS, the Impact and now this. I was about to drop my money on the Impact, I may wait for this one.

Top Bottom