• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Sakaguchi's Mistwalker to develop two Xbox 2 exclusive RPGs

GhaleonEB

Gaia Theory said:
Yes, that's what I was implying by asking for a source and link. You sir, are a genius.

It's a press release. It's on the front fucking page of Gaming-Age. (Yes, there is more than just GAF here!) It's not hard to find.

Prine

Banned
:D

MS making all the right moves.

Serriously, MS are brilliant to their fans. I cant be happier with the way they've handle themselves. As a publishers/developer/console manufacture MS keep pleasing me with thier operations. Sending me free games for signing up people onto Xbox Live, introducing XBL into gaming, funding games like Fable, Halo, Conker, Perfect Dark Zero, Jade Empire etc The whole concept of Xbox 360 sounds awesome, i dont think i've been this content with a console manufacure ever!

GO MS! 2005 and beyond!!

madara

Great news I just hope actually feels like jrpg. I may actually have buy Xbox 2 but there still a great chance this get screwed up. I fear they will go with high tech gloss look with animation as stiff as movie and worlds with bleak end of world atmospheres to match the xbox usa feel.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
putting my sakaguchi hate aside, i hope we finally get to see some screen shots of a next gen game that doesnt have tons of awful looking bump mapping and shit.

android

Theoretical Magician
At the very least it will make Square/Enix fans in Japan take a look at Xenon. If the games are of a high quality, which is entirely possible, along with other titles (especially Square Enix who have expressed interest) MS could do well in Japan.

AssMan

Banned
One of MW's rpgs is supposed to have a different kind of leveling up system based on each character's emotions.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Blimblim said:
Do you really think MS would get new exclusive games for a completely dead system in Japan? With Xbox 2 they have a tiny chance to sell some games.
Japan is the only place where these games would sell?

Yeah, I'd tend to assume that they mean Xbox2/Xenon/Xbox360 but the fact that they continue to play cagey about an official hardware announcement combine with their previous PR tactics bites them on the ass in this case.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kaching said:
Japan is the only place where these games would sell?
One would argue that there is currently no market for JRPGs on the current Xbox.

kaching said:
Yeah, I'd tend to assume that they mean Xbox2/Xenon/Xbox360 but the fact that they continue to play cagey about an official hardware announcement combine with their previous PR tactics bites them on the ass in this case.
Hu. Yeah. If you say so...

Pimpwerx

ManaByte said:
Uematsu and Amano are both with Mistwalker, yes.
Well THAT would be news IMO. If three of the creative guys between the FF "feel" are there, that's different. Sakaguchi by himself didn't do anything for me. Uematsu doesn't really interest me either. But I like Amano. Is he really with Mistwalker? And wtf happened at SE to drive those two away? PEACE.

Prine

Banned
Its MS published so the 2 games are MS property right?

IF it does sell well in Japan, and IF the series gains a loyal fanbase, i expect MS to go the extra mile and buy them, or at least keep them exclusive

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Prine said:
:D

MS making all the right moves.

Serriously, MS are brilliant to their fans.

What are you talking about? 95% of the Xbox owners won't give half a shit about these games.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Microsoft's trying to have their cake and eat it too. They're not upping production on the current Xbox to meet demand, and they've shifted all 1st party products still in R&D over to Xenon (Conker should be their last Xbox game in June) but they're waiting until the absolute last second possible to unveil Xenon so as not to kill Xbox momentum.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RevenantKioku said:
What are you talking about? 95% of the Xbox owners won't give half a shit about these games.
Indeed. The main goal here is to create a new market, get more gamers to buy the system, not to please the current fans of the system.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Well THAT would be news IMO. If three of the creative guys between the FF "feel" are there, that's different. Sakaguchi by himself didn't do anything for me. Uematsu doesn't really interest me either. But I like Amano. Is he really with Mistwalker? And wtf happened at SE to drive those two away? PEACE.
Amano and Uematsu are both freelance. Uematsu's working with Mistwalker on their DS Simulation RPG. It's possible all 3 will be on one of these Xenon RPGs, in fact I'd imagine it's pretty likely given what Microsoft's going for.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pimpwerx said:
IIRC Amano was said to be working with Mistwalker by Sakaguchi in a Famitsu interview. I could be wrong though, try googling it.

android

Theoretical Magician
I never thought I'd see the day when the creative force behind one of the biggest game series in gaming history would be casually dismissed because of a movie that failed at the box office. IMO Sakaguchi is up there with Miyamoto and Suzuki and shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Blimblim said:
Indeed. The main goal here is to create a new market, get more gamers to buy the system, not to please the current fans of the system.

Lets not even consider that this is nearly 100% a "Save ourselves in Japan." move. If these games don't come out outstanding, I doubt we'll ever see US release.

Good move? Hell yeah, but there's no way this is going to save MS in Japan unless this is just the beginning.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
teruterubozu said:
New Market = Japan
Or JRPG fans around the world ? They are just a few millions...
RevenantKioku: Yup, like I said in the other topic, unless MS gets the exclusivity on something as big Winning Eleven, Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy they will always have a very hard time to get even decent sales.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
android said:
I never thought I'd see the day when the creative force behind one of the biggest game series in gaming history would be casually dismissed because of a movie that failed at the box office. IMO Sakaguchi is up there with Miyamoto and Suzuki and shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant.

He's making an Xbox game. So it doesn't matter, 95% of humans don't care, etc. etc. Welcome to your day at GAF :)

RevenantKioku

Blimblim said:

All of which whom aren't going to throw out the bones for 2 games.

Odnetnin

Banned
I think a lot of you guys are over blowing the importance of these 2 rpgs. If RPGS on a console like PS2 with that huge a userbase in the US can still have rather crappy sales - how can a JRPG on Xenon (which will start with a much smaller userbase) actually manage to trump most of those mediocre sales and become a megaimportanttitle as you guys seem to suggest. Lineage aside, I reckon the average Xenon gamer would be like Saka who?

As for Japan, I really doubt this will make a dent. DOA only made that big a dent and the Japanese gamers have shown their rather obtuse brand loyalty.They love their FF + DQs. They don't go out and buy titles like Baiten Kaitos and Phantom Brave. There's a glut of JRPGs in japan. Why would these 2 titles matter? Just cause they're on Xenon or by Sakaguchi?

* great victory on MS' front but you have to wonder what this is going to cost them and Mistwalker in the long run. Xbox certianly didn't help SEGA

RevenantKioku

Musashi Wins! said:
He's making an Xbox game. So it doesn't matter, 95% of humans don't care, etc. etc. Welcome to your day at GAF :)

Hey, give me a break. Look at Japan Xbox sales, and look at the top game sellers for Xbox in the US. Simple fact is, the common Xbox owner either has a PS2 for JRPGs or doens't like them.

Blimblim said:

Yes true, but with Sakaguchi on board you can bet a lot of Japanese developers are suddenly paying attention to the "ugly Gaijin box".

Prine

Banned
Odnetnin said:
I think a lot of you guys are over blowing the importance of these 2 rpgs. If RPGS on a console like PS2 with that huge a userbase in the US can still have rather crappy sales - how can a JRPG on Xenon (which will start with a much smaller userbase) actually manage to trump most of those mediocre sales and become a megaimportanttitle as you guys seem to suggest. Lineage aside, I reckon the average Xenon gamer would be like Saka who?

As for Japan, I really doubt this will make a dent. DOA only made that big a dent and the Japanese gamers have shown their rather obtuse brand loyalty.They love their FF + DQs. They don't go out and buy titles like Baiten Kaitos and Phantom Brave. There's a glut of JRPGs in japan. Why would these 2 titles matter? Just cause they're on Xenon or by Sakaguchi?

Stepping stones. I doubt this is the only Japanese devloper to sign onto Xbox 2. I reckon MS are bending over backwards to gain more Japanese support to help strethen Xbox 360 Library. I honestly belive we will see some major announcements soon regarding Japan from MS

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mj1108 said:
Whatever happened to the XBots that said "Japan doesn't matter"?
I'm not one of them, but a lot of the current Xbox fans couldn't care less about a japanese rpg, or the latest quirky game ala Katamari Damacy. They want FPS, war games, and they will get them on Xenon too.
The fact that the first games officially announced by MS for Xbox 2 are 2 JRPGs should be a big enough sign that MS wants people to stop thinking that only violent occidental games can be done (and sell) on their platform. Only time will tell if they will ever manage to do this or not.

Odnetnin

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Yes true, but with Sakaguchi on board you can bet a lot of Japanese developers are suddenly paying attention to the "ugly Gaijin box".

more likely to the money hats Sakaguchi received and for any publishing potential deals. As stated in an article posted by someone, the ball is largely in developers court next gen. All 3 console houses will be dangling their carrots.The onboard thing would NOT be a pull factor

Now if MS can get GTA... then we have a story.

Link316

Banned
Odnetnin said:
I think a lot of you guys are over blowing the importance of these 2 rpgs. If RPGS on a console like PS2 with that huge a userbase in the US can still have rather crappy sales - how can a JRPG on Xenon (which will start with a much smaller userbase) actually manage to trump most of those mediocre sales and become a megaimportanttitle as you guys seem to suggest.

less RPG competition on Xbox2 = easier to stand out, its not much different from what happen with ToS on the GC, in any case, getting 2 games is still better than getting nothing at all

android

Theoretical Magician
mj1108 said:
Whatever happened to the XBots that said "Japan doesn't matter"?
These games aren't for them. Microsoft is hoping the Japanese pay attention (which they will if they are of a high quality) thereby opening up a new market. It's not that hard to figure out.

Odnetnin

Banned
Prine said:
Stepping stones. I doubt this is the only Japanese devloper to sign onto Xbox 2. I reckon MS are bending over backwards to gain more Japanese support to help strethen Xbox 360 Library. I honestly belive we will see some major announcements soon regarding Japan from MS

SEGA (confirmed) + TEAM NINJA (pretty much confirmed)

thorns

Banned
For sure these are going to be very big budget with high production values, ala Final Fantasy games. One of the games should better be well into development if they want a 2006 release though.

This suits perfectly with Kim's strategy to have bigger but less titles. It's obvious which is going to sell more consoles : an oddworld fps or a huge rpg from the final fantasy creator? This move underlines MGS' new strategy. I expect them to announce a few big titles from Rare as well.

bitwise

Banned
Odnetnin said:
more likely to the money hats Sakaguchi received and for any publishing potential deals. As stated in an article posted by someone, the ball is largely in developers court next gen. All 3 console houses will be dangling their carrots.The onboard thing would NOT be a pull factor

Now if MS can get GTA... then we have a story.

ah, shaddap. You aren't interested in these titles?

Malakhov

Banned
GA: Do you have any involvement in Hironobu Sakaguchi’s studio, Mistwalker?
NU: [laughs] I'm involved, deeply. I'm supposed to create music for his studio.
Sakaguchi and Uematsu together on this, this is pretty big.

bloke

Some other info from Quiter
- MistWalker does script, music and art/design, MS develops it and publishes the games
- Famous music game producer is working on it ...like guess who
- 150 ppl working on each game (or both? damn webtranslators)
- online technology will be used, whatever that means

Celicar

Banned
Is this good news? I thought FF went down the pooper. I haven't touched one since FF7. Well I guess any Japanese support is better than none at all! :lol

Top Bottom