• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) Import Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Well I caught up to you guys. I'm level 58, around 40 hours in (demon book ~55% complete) and midway through dungeon 7. The difficulty definitely got fun and exciting at the dungeon 5 boss and feels like proper SMT from that point on. Dungeon 7 enemies have gotten to the point where I'm hesitant to just hit X and auto-battle through every normal fight like I did dungeon 1-6. That's a good thing (more challenge) and bad thing (battles take 1 min instead of 10 seconds).

One thing I just learned about today which will either make the game broken or just easier for bosses (maybe it was like this in all SMT games? If so I never noticed):

Flame seirei = makes any demon into the next demon in their lineage
Water seirei = makes any demon into the previous demon in their lineage
Flame + Water seirei = little red drop
Little red drop = makes any demon into the same demon +1 level (4 stat points higher) and let's you add a demon source. Whooops :p This little guy only costs 14k which is nothing and now on bosses I can instantly add any spell from my collection of sources to my current demons or any stock demon I pull out of the book. :eek:

And flame/water being 12k/9k respectively means it's super cheap to fill out your book for any missing demons, yay! I'm pretty sure I have more book completion here than in any other megaten game I've played. Now it feels super pokemony; gotta catch 'em all!

Doctor_No said:
Man, some of these bosses are insanely hard.

Haven't had too much time this weekend so I haven't gotten that far, so I'm still currently at the 6th level boss, reconfiguring my team to match this boss, but the mid-level boss
Jack
really did a number on me. I could not for the life of me beat this guy, he had no weaknesses to attack, constantly healed himself, took me forever to find a strategy that works.

One strategy I've found for bosses with no weakpoints is to just physical it. DEF down the boss, ATK up your party and have everyone do multi-hit attacks. Some of those ones that hit 3-5 times can be deadly if they're doing 100+ damage each hit.

I dunno if it's just me but I find it really :lol in this game how useless your PC. My PC does nothing besides heal with items or occasionally hit a weak point to start a coop. He always does the least damage of the whole party.

Bebpo

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
So does someone want to tell me, in a non spoilery way if
Lucifer
has shown up yet? :D

yeah, but he has a much more minor role than say, Raidou 2

ethelred

Bebpo said:
One thing I just learned about today which will either make the game broken or just easier for bosses (maybe it was like this in all SMT games? If so I never noticed):

Flame seirei = makes any demon into the next demon in their lineage
Water seirei = makes any demon into the previous demon in their lineage
Flame + Water seirei = little red drop
Little red drop = makes any demon into the same demon +1 level (4 stat points higher)

This is more or less how mitamas and elements have functioned before now.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
This is more or less how mitamas and elements have functioned before now.

haha, well I never used them in previous megatens. I always wondered why the elements were so low level! Plus the mitamas are only abusable now because of the source system.

Llyranor

Doctor_No said:
Man, some of these bosses are insanely hard.

Haven't had too much time this weekend so I haven't gotten that far, so I'm still currently at the 6th level boss, reconfiguring my team to match this boss, but the mid-level boss
Jack
really did a number on me. I could not for the life of me beat this guy, he had no weaknesses to attack, constantly healed himself, took me forever to find a strategy that works.

The subsequent bosses I haven't had too much of a hard time with, but the more I play this game the more I'm appreciating that these bosses can't be beaten merely by grinding and merely leveling up, the strategy of building your team, the skills you use, are what this game is all about. Discovering a tactic that works is incredibly enjoyable.

Game design decisions of allowing passwords, and allowing you to fuse demons everywhere, and removing some of the randomness goes a long way to remove the tediousness. But after playing these bosses I'm beginning to appreciate exactly why they choose to implement the system that they did. The old system would have been entirely too cumbersome given the play-style of this game especially with the alignment-Devil Co-op, but more so because the boss designs are entirely strategy based.

I'm also impressed that the bosses get better and better as the game progresses, they are still fresh after all these hours, and I actually look forward to fighting them. The bosses really make this game.
Really liking the sound of this!

ethelred

Bebpo said:
haha, well I never used them in previous megatens. I always wondered why the elements were so low level! Plus the mitamas are only abusable now because of the source system.

Oh, that's not true. Mitamas are always super useful fusion components. I created some amazing demons in Nocturne and Devil Survivor with them.

duckroll

7Th said:
Are you guys far enough into the game to tell how much of a difference your stance makes?

Sure. I think I'm almost at the end of the game.

TheChillyAcademic said:
So the PC is essentially useless?

Odd, given how in SMT 3 you were able to make your PC nearly god like.

Useless? What gave you that idea?

7Th

duckroll said:
Sure. I think I'm almost at the end of the game.

So, huh, how much of a difference does your stance make in the storyline of the game? Something vague would be enough, nothing too detailed is required.

duckroll

7Th said:
So, huh, how much of a difference does your stance make in the storyline of the game? Something vague would be enough, nothing too detailed is required.

The main storyline? Probably not that much. It has a stronger impact on the actual ongoing gameplay for most of the game, because of the way Devil Co-Op works. Your alignment will determine partly how you decide to build a party, and what demons you might want to use or not use.

As for the impact of the alignment on the actual storyline, like most megaten games it is pretty much end-loaded. Most of the story will play out in the same way regardless of what you personally choose to agree with or do, but reactions from certain characters and dialogue will certainly change depending on your responses and reactions.

I can't really speak for how different certain parts of the game could be for someone of another alignment, because I'm personally playing a hardcore Law run. I've seen other story options recently which suggests different paths but I can only speak for the one which I've personally taken. There are also EX Missions and equipment which are restricted to Law or Chaos though.

Bebpo

Banned
Your stance makes a HUGE difference in gameplay because it determines which demons will even talk to you (I think; maybe some just don't talk to you regardless of your stance; dunno) and because like duckroll said the COOP.

As for story, well um slight spoilers in structure not plot
The last dungeon is split into 3 different versions, LAW/NEUTRAL/CHAOS
so by the end it does make a difference.

This is the first megaten where I'm playing as neutral (I always play law) because I stand for humans kicking ass and not depending on angels/demons. Unfortunately this blocks me off from certain areas only open to Law or Chaos and certain weapons only equippable for Law or Chaos and I'm pretty sure the final boss rush will be very hard since everyone hates me :lol

BUT I think the balance is that you get the best demons in neutral. Since I went neutral I haven't had much of a problem finding super powerful all neutral parties as the best demons I can even make tend to be neutral alignment.

Oh and as a side the final dungeons have MUDO/HAMA spamming normal enemies. Something that has been missing in the easier P3/P4/DDS/Raidou games. The catch here is if you don't have a high level armor with mudo or hama block, you're forced to gamble or use armor with very low DEF that does block them. Evillll

Bebpo

Banned
Dungeon 7 boss was a bitch. Have funnnnnnn guys.

If you're someone like me who came into SMT with Nocturne and only played the post Nocturne games & Maken X/Persona1psp, the amount of new demons or new artwork for familiar demons is staggering. I'd say 1/4th of the demons in the game are completely new to me and of the 3/4 familiars, a handful have a picture/design I've never seen for them before. For example I'm used to Dominion looking like this:
DominionP4.png

But in SJ his design is some S&M type bellish design:

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

The point is just that those who aren't old-school SMT players will see the most new demons of any megaten with SJ that they've seen since they first played Nocturne. Probably 50-100. Which is pretty cool. Old school players will have seen almost all of them as duckroll pointed out there are really very few "new" demons made just for SJ. Even some of the dungeon bosses are old demons.

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:

The addition of the source system pretty much changes everything. Never thought about exploiting it this way. I'm going to have to try this out.

Bebpo said:
The point is just that those who aren't old-school SMT players will see the most new demons of any megaten with SJ that they've seen since they first played Nocturne. Probably 50-100. Which is pretty cool. Old school players will have seen almost all of them as duckroll pointed out there are really very few "new" demons made just for SJ. Even some of the dungeon bosses are old demons.

I've played most of the SMT games, including esoteric iAppli ones like SMT 20XX, SMT Tokyo Requiem, and to me most of the sprites look completely redrawn to me. Though, a handful of them look like they came directly from Soul Hackers.

Regardless, I agree, the demon artwork is especially wonderful in this game. Especially the portraits of the demons. The unique designs of the demons, and interesting interpretation of those mythological creatures/deities is something that has always drawn me to the series. They didn't skimp on it for this game.

duckroll

Oh fuck yeah! I finally got to level 60, and not only did I map out a good part of the 7th dungeon, but I finally completely a major EX Mission quest line. The final reward is a pretty awesome armor! I no longer free mudo! YESSSSSS! :D

Dungeon 7 is really a nightmare to navigate, but I gotta say, I -like- it! Maybe I'm just a masochist for teleporters and stuff, since I kinda liked dungeon 5 too. :lol

I almost totally fucked myself up earlier, thanks to some awesome "advice" from Bebpo. I was asking him the best way to level up really quickly, and he said to just slap on the sub-application which raises the encounter rate by a ton. He was right! Except... I kinda got lost in the dungeon and ended up going deeper and deeper without any sign of a save point. I would have totally kicked myself in the face if I ended up dying and losing the 3 levels or so I gained in 20mins. It almost happened a few times too, because the enemies got tougher and more unfamiliar as I got deeper, and I started getting fucking annoying status effects, but I survived!!! LOL!! :)

I also had Green Grass equipped, so not only was I getting tons of money and exp from the high encounter rate, but I was also getting a lot of demons joining me of their own free will. Did a good amount of fusion on the move, and now my compendium is about 42% filled. Feeling good about my progress today. I think I'm going back to the previous two dungeons to clear up a few more EX Missions before I continue on in this dungeon though, I have a feeling I could use all the help I can get in the battles ahead.

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
I almost totally fucked myself up earlier, thanks to some awesome "advice" from Bebpo. I was asking him the best way to level up really quickly, and he said to just slap on the sub-application which raises the encounter rate by a ton. He was right! Except... I kinda got lost in the dungeon and ended up going deeper and deeper without any sign of a save point. I would have totally kicked myself in the face if I ended up dying and losing the 3 levels or so I gained in 20mins. It almost happened a few times too, because the enemies got tougher and more unfamiliar as I got deeper, and I started getting fucking annoying status effects, but I survived!!! LOL!! :)

I also had Green Grass equipped, so not only was I getting tons of money and exp from the high encounter rate, but I was also getting a lot of demons joining me of their own free will. Did a good amount of fusion on the move, and now my compendium is about 42% filled. Feeling good about my progress today. I think I'm going back to the previous two dungeons to clear up a few more EX Missions before I continue on in this dungeon though, I have a feeling I could use all the help I can get in the battles ahead.

The 'Enemy Lullaby" & 'Enemy Koi Koi' are incredibly useful, and add an interesting dimension to this game. Through several sub-appli the game essentially allows you to adjust your encounter rate. This game gives you such a large degree of freedom in so many things- I mean, nobody can justifiably complain about the encounter rate in this game because they give you an easy way to adjust it yourself, and these skills are available relatively early in the game.

The fact that they can maintain balance while giving the player so many different exploitations (passwords, encounter rate adjustments, frequent heal/save points, demon fusion anywhere, etc.) really says a lot about the the design of this game.

I've been having trouble with the 7th area boss, so I'm going back and doing the EX missions and building up my team again. For an jRPG gamer its been such a busy (and great) month, between this and 3D Dot Game Heros, P3P, and 4 Warriors of Light- I'm seriously drowning, and to think FF13 is out in around a month.

Bebpo

Banned
If you play on neutral SJ is the hardest megaten game from Nocturne until now. The extra bosses you fight are FINAL BOSS level boss fights except since they aren't the final boss you can't use all your rare "heal all party full MP/HP" type items which makes the fight insanely difficulty. I'd say it's almost unbeatable without the perfect team which would take a lot of effort to create, but it is doable, just barely and expect frustration and hours down the drain if you plan on doing neutral.

And the final dungeon is ridiculously huge and mazey. I'm guessing if you wanted to map the whole thing it'd be 10-15 hours just for that one dungeon.

Hopefully I can beat the game tomorrow. I have 3 bosses left and I have no idea how hard they will be, but I hope not harder than what I've already faced!

Bebpo

Banned
Beat the next neutral path specific boss after 90 mins of retries and using lots of sources. In the end just reflected them to death by making reflect demons and then trying to have my PC survive.

I'm going on record and saying I think making your PC horrible is a major problem, especially when you get to the final dungeon. On attack he is horrible because all he has is a generic slash (does like 80-90 damage, lol), or gun magic which tends to be FIRE SHOT/WIND SHOT/GUN SHOT and that's it! On defense because none of the armors block any elements besides mudo, the most you can be is strong to an element and like I said earlier the armor that is strong to that element you need might have 1/2 the DEF so your DEF will be shit against any other attack. It's really like playing as the PC in SMT3 if you only had 2-3 slots to fill with attacks, couldn't fill with buffs/debuffs/support, couldn't put any blocks/reflects in, and couldn't put on physical hitting special attacks. So basically your PC is super fucking gimped. This is on top of the auto-stating which makes it worse.

Here I am at the end of the game and I have like LUCK 60 which is my highest stat while my DEF is 42 and my lowest stat. That is fucked up!

Basically end game boss battles are "HOW DO I NOT GET MY PC 1 HIT KILLED ANY TURN WHILE MY AWESOME DEMONS FIGHT?". I'm at the point where I'm just blocking every round with my PC while the demons fight the battle. That way I only take 50% damage at won't be 1 hit killed ending the battle 5-10 mins in. Unfortunately because of MP usage and stat effects you're going to need to spend some rounds using items since your demons can't. This gambles life or death of the battle because you can easily get hit by an attack that'll kill you in 1 hit. Right now my PC dies in 1 hit from any attack by a boss if I'm not strong in that element. Unfortunately there usually aren't armors covering ALL the elements the boss attacks with, so yeah....

All I've got left is the final boss now I think, so hopefully I'll get through it and be done with this game. IMO the difficulty balance is pretty bad for a megaten. Dungeons 1-5 are easy, the boss of 5 is bullshit, dungeon 6-7 is easy, and then the boss of dungeon 7 through the end of the game is insanely and cheaply harder.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and you can get sources more than once. I was using a demon that I'd already gotten and used the source from and I got it again. This may be really useful if you put some time and money into it because along with the alamitama you can make your demons have any six skills from any of the sources you've gained. So you can take a demon that already blocks/reflects a few important elements and give them blocks/reflects for a few more + mediaramahan + buff/debuff + an attack. Costs a bit of money and takes time though.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Oh and you can get sources more than once. I was using a demon that I'd already gotten and used the source from and I got it again. This may be really useful if you put some time and money into it because along with the alamitama you can make your demons have any six skills from any of the sources you've gained. So you can take a demon that already blocks/reflects a few important elements and give them blocks/reflects for a few more + mediaramahan + buff/debuff + an attack. Costs a bit of money and takes time though.

HOW?! :eek:

NichM

Banned
duckroll said:

Same way as the first time. The chances of it happening during a level up go way down after the first one, though. I think this is mentioned in one of the tutorial documents.

7Th

Bebpo said:
If you play on neutral SJ is the hardest megaten game from Nocturne until now. The extra bosses you fight are FINAL BOSS level boss fights except since they aren't the final boss you can't use all your rare "heal all party full MP/HP" type items which makes the fight insanely difficulty. I'd say it's almost unbeatable without the perfect team which would take a lot of effort to create, but it is doable, just barely and expect frustration and hours down the drain if you plan on doing neutral.

And the final dungeon is ridiculously huge and mazey. I'm guessing if you wanted to map the whole thing it'd be 10-15 hours just for that one dungeon.

Hopefully I can beat the game tomorrow. I have 3 bosses left and I have no idea how hard they will be, but I hope not harder than what I've already faced!

HELL YEAH!

I love fucking hard neutral paths. :D

duckroll

NichM said:
Same way as the first time. The chances of it happening during a level up go way down after the first one, though. I think this is mentioned in one of the tutorial documents.

Oh okay. Yeah the Devil Source document says "After the first extraction, it becomes harder to extract again." I tried it ages ago with Pixie when I was in the first dungeon, which explains why it would seem like the source would never extract again. :lol

duckroll

Btw while you're here, was the decision to use Schwarzwelt instead of Schwarzverse made because -verse is not German? :)

NichM

Banned
duckroll said:
Btw while you're here, was the decision to use Schwarzwelt instead of Schwarzverse made because -verse is not German? :)

Yes. In the game world, the term was coined by a German professor, so we thought it would be better to go with an entirely German word.

duckroll

NichM said:
Yes. In the game world, the term was coined by a German professor, so we thought it would be better to go with an entirely German word.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I was actually wondering myself while playing it why the word itself was like, half-German when they were explaining it. I chalked it up to Japanese-writers-trying-to-be-cool-syndrome. :lol

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
Beat the next neutral path specific boss after 90 mins of retries and using lots of sources. In the end just reflected them to death by making reflect demons and then trying to have my PC survive.

I'm going on record and saying I think making your PC horrible is a major problem, especially when you get to the final dungeon. On attack he is horrible because all he has is a generic slash (does like 80-90 damage, lol), or gun magic which tends to be FIRE SHOT/WIND SHOT/GUN SHOT and that's it! On defense because none of the armors block any elements besides mudo, the most you can be is strong to an element and like I said earlier the armor that is strong to that element you need might have 1/2 the DEF so your DEF will be shit against any other attack. It's really like playing as the PC in SMT3 if you only had 2-3 slots to fill with attacks, couldn't fill with buffs/debuffs/support, couldn't put any blocks/reflects in, and couldn't put on physical hitting special attacks. So basically your PC is super fucking gimped. This is on top of the auto-stating which makes it worse.

Here I am at the end of the game and I have like LUCK 60 which is my highest stat while my DEF is 42 and my lowest stat. That is fucked up!

Basically end game boss battles are "HOW DO I NOT GET MY PC 1 HIT KILLED ANY TURN WHILE MY AWESOME DEMONS FIGHT?". I'm at the point where I'm just blocking every round with my PC while the demons fight the battle. That way I only take 50% damage at won't be 1 hit killed ending the battle 5-10 mins in. Unfortunately because of MP usage and stat effects you're going to need to spend some rounds using items since your demons can't. This gambles life or death of the battle because you can easily get hit by an attack that'll kill you in 1 hit. Right now my PC dies in 1 hit from any attack by a boss if I'm not strong in that element. Unfortunately there usually aren't armors covering ALL the elements the boss attacks with, so yeah....

All I've got left is the final boss now I think, so hopefully I'll get through it and be done with this game. IMO the difficulty balance is pretty bad for a megaten. Dungeons 1-5 are easy, the boss of 5 is bullshit, dungeon 6-7 is easy, and then the boss of dungeon 7 through the end of the game is insanely and cheaply harder.

I'm going down the NEUTRAL path and am at the last dungeon right now as well. All the bosses are insanely hard. I would say that the end-game is the hardest in recent SMT memory. As you say, each of those bosses are 'final boss' level in difficulty. In fact, I'd say its probably harder then final bosses of most games.

For the player-character(PC) I've been using lots of items, especially to hit weaknesses. But most of my healing I've designated to my demon. But keeping your PC alive is indeed frustrating for these end-game bosses.

Right now, I'm level 65, and my LUCK is only 40, my DEF is 46, and my highest stat is SPD which is 54, oddly enough my MAGIC is a mere 41; I am "Magic-type" character. I haven't used any of the "香" permanent stat boosting items. I'm having enough trouble where I think I might apply them soon.

Also, I really didn't think any of the bosses past 5 where particularly 'easy' per say. Half the time I think it comes down to the party you have and the skills you have. If you're lucky enough to get characters that are offensively well matched to the bosses (and their weakness) then the boss is usually easy enough to tackle. Most of the time I've been playing this game out and about, away from my computer, so I haven't had the convenience of being able to check the Wikis for player dialog choices to match you alignment/stance and boss weaknesses (most of the times the choices seem easy enough). Sometimes I'd come to a boss, my PC would be totally different stance then the demons I built up, and I'd struggle with a boss. Towards the end, the game spams you with bosses, there really isn't time to build up a new team to take up a new offensive/defensive strategy; you're stuck with what you had with the last boss for the most part, and you probably haven't saved up enough money in the mean time to fuse more. This contributes to the sudden feel for difficulty I think.

duckroll

I'm still in dungeon 7, I'm a Law character, and I'm lvl60. My stats are Str 33, Mag 47, Def 48, Spd 44, Lck 33. It makes no sense either because I'm an ATTACK character. I guess it really is sort random after all. :lol

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
I'm still in dungeon 7, I'm a Law character, and I'm lvl60. My stats are Str 33, Mag 47, Def 48, Spd 44, Lck 33. It makes no sense either because I'm an ATTACK character. I guess it really is sort random after all. :lol

My Strength is 50 :/

You're a slightly lower level then me and you have better MAGIC then I do even while being an Attack character and me being a Magic character. And the opposite situation for the STR stat. :lol ...It must random.

Bebpo

Banned
My guess is that even though they give arbitrary "types", in actuality it just goes by the answers to those 5 questions. I figure each answer had stats associated with it like "Stealth answer = Luck+1, Defense+1" and that it tallies them up and you have something like this by the end of the questions:

Atk+1
Mag+3
Def+1
Evade+5
Luck+4

And then gives your stats based on the percentage of the total points that that stat got.

Then again, on 2nd though I think it's just random :lol I'm a "magic" type (how can they even get magic from those answers when none of them involved using magic) and my magic and luck are high, atk is medium, and def+speed are low.

Also if you level up and then you reset and level up you'll get completely different stats given each time. I guess if you really care about your stats you could try to stay near save points when you level in dungeons and then just do resets until you get the stats you want. Though I'm guessing it'll go more and more against you as you stack the odds away from a balanced character.

Bebpo

Banned
Beat the game last night. Even with the best equipment for my MC the final boss, unlike the rest of game, requires grinding which is a bit of a shame and something I'm not used to for SMT. Since the boss is about 20 levels higher than the demons in the final dungeon, just playing normally, even with a lot of encounters you're not going to be anywhere near the level of the boss and the main issue is that demons 10 levels or below the boss simply can't survive a single hit and you need them to. Grinded for about 6 hours from level 73->85 and beat it without too much hassle after some party modifying.

In retrospect I think levels are pretty important in the endgame here. If you are underleveled for the final boss rush, the endgame is the hardest in recent megaten history and one of the hardest set of boss in any rpg. If you are overleveled or on the same level as the bosses (which you won't be unless you are grinding) the bosses are pretty fair and approachable by just making the correct team. There's only 1 boss where I'm not sure if being at a higher level would have helped.

Anyhow here's my review now that I'm done (60 hours, 75% book completion, 80-90% of EX missions done):

Review of SMT Strange Journey if you go in expecting SMT4:

Graphics: Great. Very good job on the animated sprites of hundreds of demons. Lots of good art. The boss style is really cool and smart to show the detail and overpowered feeling of the bosses. One nitpick is I wish the bosses animated like the normal enemies. It's like you are fight a giant jpg, lol. Spell effects are good, dungeons look good though the budget most definitely was lacking and there just aren't many dungeon textures.

Music: On the plus side the music is very good. On the minus side there are about 5 songs in the entire game. There are slight variations, but basically every dungeon other than the last has the same dungeon theme. Battle music is always the same. Story music is 2-3 tracks. Boss song. etc... again the game seems surprisingly underbudgeted and doesn't provide the soundtrack you expect for an SMT successor.

Story: :lol The game starts off full of promise. You have a mysterious universe, a handful of interesting characters and later in the game other NPCs get mixed in. But then...nothing happens. The narrative is about as deep and involved as Doom. You go in, you kill bosses, the end. Even the ending was like 2 mins long at most. The main couple of characters are completely one dimensional and just play out their cliche paths,
Lucifer
has no point, other NPCs have no point, the plot is really non-existant for the most part. Which is kind of ironic considering there is a ton of dialogue from your ships AI (though 90% of it is just explaining "you need to go to the dungeon and kill the boss") and that the opening to the game is 60-90 mins long like P3/P4. But that's because all the plot is just in the premise of the game! The actual game has no more plot than an NES era rpg. Horribly disappointing for the next big main SMT game; has nothing on SMT3's interesting NPCs and philosophical discussions. Still better than the terrible Persona 1 plot though!

Gameplay: The core of the game and it's very good. Take the best parts of EO (the dual-screen dungeon crawling) and the best parts of SMT (demon talk/demon fusion/demon party) and you have an addicting game that always is giving you two incentives, getting further in exploring the dungeon (EO) and building up your demon book and party full of all kinds of cool demons (SMT). Being able to fuse anytime, pull stuff out of your book at anytime, use accesories to change encounter rates, drop rates, how easy it is to talk to demons, etc... works great and makes every minute of the game enjoyable. The boss encounters are fairly easy for the first half of the game and then quite hard for the 2nd half of the game and require good strategy and building teams to counter the boss fights. That's what makes SMT great, not being stuck to any specific skill set or character build and being able to modifying your team to counter boss abilities. The EX missions are fun little sidequests, and feature some very good and essential rewards making a certain amount of them almost required to progress. The only negative about the core gameplay is the auto-stating of your character and lack of skills for your character. It makes the game more balanced since you can't create a skewed but awesome character, but it also makes your main character suck pretty badly and for boss battles simply become the item boy who throws out items every round. Not being able to give your MC buffs/debuffs/heal spells gimps him pretty badly. Still, despite the few negative points, the gameplay is ace and lives up to the SMT franchise with enough changes to make it feel like the next SMT.

Overall: With no world map, no interesting locations to explore and only
*8*
dungeons along with a very simple and generic plot, the game does not live up to previous main SMT titles even if the gameplay is very good. B

Review of SMT Strange Journey if you go in expecting a spinoff like SMT...If:

Graphics: See above. Lack of dungeon variety is fine considering it's a low budget spinoff.

Music: See above. Lack of music is still inexcusable. They really dropped the ball here.

Story: The game is a spinoff dungeon crawler. It gives you a good reason to go into the dungeon and that's all you really need since the experience is really about the gameplay. The story isn't full of questions and won't leave you thinking about it, but it's perfectly fine as a background for a "we're in a dungeon the whole game, let's keep going deeper" game. The characters although having very predictable paths are likable.

Gameplay: See above. Very awesome though you'll wish your main character could equip skills beyond a few elemental attacks. You don't need to explore a world when you are exploring the DUNGEON WORLD one square at a time. The dungeon designs are great and big and tricky and full of secret areas and treasures. So much fun to explore. The boss fights in the 2nd half are killer but fun when you beat them. Lots of content to last a good 50-75 hours.

Overall: An excellent spinoff that merges the best SMT with the best of EO. Lots of content, totally addicting gameplay, and very challenging in the later half; the game is the perfect title for for playing on the go. A

Final Thoughts: the reason I split my review is I feel the team split their game making somewhere along the way. The game is weird and 'almost' feels like they were making SMT4: They had a good premise, they had lots of demons, they had new gameplay ideas for the traditional SMT systems, they had some good new art designs by Kaneko, etc...then it seems that somewhere early on they had the rug pulled out from under them. Maybe they lost their budget? Who knows. But at some point the game became a low budget affair (the spritework is fantastic, but duckroll says the sprite team was all of 3 people) and it's like the team gave up on their inspirations and went nowhere with the plot devise they I had thought up, went nowhere with the soundtrack after the first few tracks were made, didn't do much dungeon work after a handful were made, etc... The first half of the game when you're first hearing the new music tracks, following the movie-length story intro, going through interesting dungeons makes you think this is SMT4. Then after about 30% in when the story drops out, the music repeats, and the dungeons become less impressive looking, you realize your playing a low budget spinoff which is an awesome game, but it's not the next SMT you felt like you were playing at the start. I have no idea what the behind the scenes was with this game, but there must have been something as the game feels very conflicted as to if it's SMT4 or not. As long as you don't go in expecting the former you'll find what's possibly the best rpg on the DS.

Doctor_No

Bebpo, I think you hit the nail of the head. If you're coming in expecting SMT4 then you're going to be disappointed, if you're expecting an awesome dungeon-crawler it meets its expectation. This is the best dungeon crawler I've played in recent memory.

BTW, I'm at the last boss right now, Lv71, so as you say, I'm going to spend some time leveling up. The end-game is the first place I started grinding, before it was small grinding just to build necessary demons to configure your party, but towards the end you really need to raise your level or you get your ass handed to you.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I never felt forced to grind until the final boss. I think you need to at least have lvl.76-80 demons to stand a chance.

Doctor_No

Finished the game several days back. Lv 90 and around 62 hours. I've challenged some of the after-game stuff but its pretty sparse compared to previous SMT games- you really have to go through the game again to get everything.

There is little to add on what Bebpo has already said on the positives of this game, and taken within its context its an excellent game, however, one major issue I do have with this game is that the stance/alignment system does discourage you to play around and experiment with demons that aren't in the same alignment as you.

The real issue is that the main player character gets locked into an alignment (Chaos, Neutral, Law) throughout certain points in the game, and gets locked in for the most part in the end-game. For the most part, this is game that affords you a good deal of freedom, and towards the end I'm not convinced that this restriction adds any level enjoyment to the game. I would have liked to be able to change out my entire party to different alignments without worrying about my main player character. Changing your team to a different stance isn't an easy endeavor upon itself, I don't see why this system has to be any more inflexible.

Regardless, while I do have some reservations about certain areas of the inherit system, it still is an amazing dungeon crawler. It challenging as well as engaging.

Bebpo

Banned
Haha, wow. How'd you get up to 90? ^^; Everything post 80 was slow grinding even fighting with 2 person parties in the last part of the final dungeon with xp+ subaccessory on.

You must've had some awesome demons for the final fight :) I was using Metatron, Thor and Amaterasu. And using the tamas and sources I gave them 6 great skills each.

I don't mind the alignment stuff because while the first half of the game I concentrated on same alignment parties and hitting weakpoints for coop, for the 2nd half I realized that just having a great team of 3 demons with excellent buffing/debuffing, healing & STRONG attacks was dealing far damage on bosses than my coops so for the 2nd half of the game I didn't go for same alignment teams and just used demons with good stats and skills and immunities. For normal battles, honestly I just hit "x" and let the autobattle do it for 99% of the fights. Lazy, but it made crawling much more enjoyable and quick. The only times I wouldn't use autobattle is when I first encountered a new enemy and I saw they weren't taking much physical damage or when I fought enemies that were strong/blocked/reflected physical. Otherwise if I had a good strong party, they finish up the normal battles in 2-3 seconds with autobattle on.

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
Haha, wow. How'd you get up to 90? ^^; Everything post 80 was slow grinding even fighting with 2 person parties in the last part of the final dungeon with xp+ subaccessory on.

You must've had some awesome demons for the final fight :) I was using Metatron, Thor and Amaterasu. And using the tamas and sources I gave them 6 great skills each.

I don't mind the alignment stuff because while the first half of the game I concentrated on same alignment parties and hitting weakpoints for coop, for the 2nd half I realized that just having a great team of 3 demons with excellent buffing/debuffing, healing & STRONG attacks was dealing far damage on bosses than my coops so for the 2nd half of the game I didn't go for same alignment teams and just used demons with good stats and skills and immunities. For normal battles, honestly I just hit "x" and let the autobattle do it for 99% of the fights. Lazy, but it made crawling much more enjoyable and quick. The only times I wouldn't use autobattle is when I first encountered a new enemy and I saw they weren't taking much physical damage or when I fought enemies that were strong/blocked/reflected physical. Otherwise if I had a good strong party, they finish up the normal battles in 2-3 seconds with autobattle on.

I gotta admit grinding was pretty slow, I actually wanted to get to level 91 for this Shiva, but the grinding was slow and I knew it wouldn't carry over to the second play through so I went ahead with it (not to mention it was insanely expensive).

Most of my demons I got directly off the Atlus page via passwords, I wanted to summon the invincible
マンセマット
that would reflect every attack(except 万能) but I couldn't afford the 600k+ maka. Ultimately, no matter what effort I put in, the people online was already a step ahead of me so I gave up trying to out-do them on creating better demons.

Auto-battle was definitely useful, I would use it for all melee characters, and it was easy to get the timing right to turn it off if you needed healing. The very vast majority of my grinding was done with auto-battle. At a certain point, after a degree of grinding, you pretty much know what enemies to do auto-battle with and what enemies to not do it with. Sometimes I wished the AI was smart enough to use the gun based attack if the enemy would reflect/negate sword attacks.

Doctor_No

I've managed to max out my team Lv.99. My team consists of
Demiurge (デミウルゴス)
, Shiva, and Vishnu.

After you get Shiva at Lv91 leveling up is pretty easy. Since you have the Jihad spell and Victory Cry (勝利の雄叫び) which allows you to wipe out all enemies and then heal yourself after the battle. If you put the PC and Shiva only as your team, leveling up becomes fairly quick (obviously with the right sub-appli that increases encounter rate and increases exp gained). Leveling up from 80-90 took at least thrice as long as 90-100. Also while grinding I figured out that I had a ton of forma I could sell off. When I went back to the ship I realized I could sell off some of my unneeded forma where I was able to get around 2 million maka (the forma from the last dungeon sell for a lot). So I went ahead and summoned a Lv94
Demiurge
via password which cost me a cool million.

One issue I do have with the password system is that it makes the after-game conquests kinda pointless. I've always loved SMT secret dungeons and secret bosses, but in SJ it's somewhat sparse (granted, the regular bosses are hard enough as it is). The silly thing is that you can summon the secret bosses via passwords, there really is no effort necessary, and hence no satisfaction to confront them. Its a small gripe that really won't matter to most people that don't bother with the after game stuff...

MechaX

Bebpo said:
The game starts off full of promise. You have a mysterious universe, a handful of interesting characters and later in the game other NPCs get mixed in. But then...nothing happens. The narrative is about as deep and involved as Doom. You go in, you kill bosses, the end. Even the ending was like 2 mins long at most. The main couple of characters are completely one dimensional and just play out their cliche paths,
Lucifer
has no point, other NPCs have no point, the plot is really non-existant for the most part. Which is kind of ironic considering there is a ton of dialogue from your ships AI (though 90% of it is just explaining "you need to go to the dungeon and kill the boss") and that the opening to the game is 60-90 mins long like P3/P4. But that's because all the plot is just in the premise of the game! The actual game has no more plot than an NES era rpg. Horribly disappointing for the next big main SMT game; has nothing on SMT3's interesting NPCs and philosophical discussions. Still better than the terrible Persona 1 plot though!

Boo. I was hoping that SJ wouldn't pull a Raidou 2 in the story department (Spends over half the game with buildup to a seemingly extremely epic plot, only to... well, go absolutely nowhere with almost all of its ideas). Hell, after Raidou 2 and Persona PSP, I was sure wishing to a return to form in the storyline department for future SMT games (Devil Survivor was probably a fluke. An extremely well-done fluke, but a fluke nonetheless). But I'm glad to see that they succeeded on everything else mostly.

Doctor_No

7Th said:

Your stance gets locked in at the end-game; you can't change it. That's when the difficulty ramps up and you start wanting to experiment with different demons.

Also, that trick can be a little tedious at times, and obviously won't work later in the game. Every conversation doesn't always lead to that stance-changing conversations so you have to keep talking (sometimes it won't come up for around 5-10 times), once you get it, one time is usually not enough. I wouldn't say its excessively time consuming, but it can take a while sometimes.

If SMT: Nocturne is one of my favourite games of all time but I couldn't get past the first half hour of Etrian odyssey because of the first person aspect will I like this game?

Kishgal

Banned
lucablight said:
If SMT: Nocturne is one of my favourite games of all time but I couldn't get past the first half hour of Etrian odyssey because of the first person aspect will I like this game?
Possibly. Try playing SMT3 in first-person mode on a new cycle! That's my favorite way to play it.

C.T.

Can someone help me? I'm stuck.
Im at "bodies" and fell into the room with Zelenin but can't escape the room. Naga prevents me from doing so. On top of it I still can't scan the other door. Feels like I cant do shit? What to do? Reload?

Edit: Okay I'm stupid. Had to trigger something.

Edit 2: In the events of the second dungeon I changed from neutral to law even though I choose neutral answers. Could be, that I dont understand everything 100 procent, but when asked
Which life is more important, akumas or humans, I choose both are equally important. And when asked why humans are the dominant race on earth I said because of their intelligence.

Now I'm fucked with my neutral demons too.

But one question to those with better japanese skills:
I didn't get why he spared my. Can someone elaborate?

C.T.

sorry to bump this thread again, but I'm stuck at the 4th floor, 4th dungeon. I don't know how to advance and get the mission objective. someone care to help me?

Top Bottom