• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) Import Thread

duckroll

~15 hours now. I just cleared another major boss. I'm digging the scenario a lot, especially since it uses demons as the driving force behind the story. It's something that is usually lacking in the spinoffs, and even though Devil Survivor came pretty close, this is definitely more like it. Just like in SMT3, dungeons are filled with demon NPCs at various spots you can talk to, and they flesh out the nature of the dungeon and their role in it, as well as who's the big boss man in the area, etc.

One thing I didn't quite expect is how many people are actually alive in the mission. The game doesn't feel like you're all alone in a failed mission at all, but instead you definitely feel like you're part of a larger operation and there are many other people who are also taking part it in.

Aside from the major human characters with Kaneko art, there are many smaller bit roles - all of whom have names and roles in the game. It's also cool that while exploring in dungeons you sometimes run into other nameless crew members who are also exploring the dungeon, and they might give you items, or offer a bit of advice, or thank you for helping unravel a locked door, etc.

Each major area in the game has it's own semi self-contained story, just like the major dungeons in SMT3. The second area in particular reminded me a lot of the Thor story arc in the Mantra HQ in SMT3. The dungeon design itself is pretty solid, and I would say overall, the design in each of the dungeons are up there with the final story stratum of EO1. They're pretty imaginative, and the events and "puzzles" are cool.

What should also be of interest to SMT fans is that the game seems very much balanced like a Megaten game, instead of EO. There's a pretty big difference. In EO, every new area is designed to be pretty tough no matter how much ass you kicked in the last area. It keeps scaling up and you won't be able to do single runs in most of the dungeon floors.

SJ is definitely designed like a Megaten game in the sense that while it starts off pretty tough, as you familiarize yourself with the fusion options, and the combat mechanics, you will start to build really good demon teams, as well as backups, and it becomes much easier. On a whole the game is much "easier" than EO, and rewards the player significantly for building a party which is good at attacking weaknesses, as well as keeping in the same alignment to take full advantage of Devil Co-Op.

The game is definitely designed such that as story events change the main mission, you can keep playing and experience the scenario without turning the game into a draggy grind of going back and forth between the dungeon and the ship just to make small steps of progress.

That's not to say you won't die every now and then, especially if you're careless or you encounter new foes your party build might not be equipped to handle. But such deaths are not something you have to grind to overcome, but simply requires a change in strategy. There are quite a substantial number of save points throughout each dungeon, so that's another thing that really helps the pacing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
did you ever figure out if the fusion results were fixed?

what about EX missions have you try those? if so what they said about them fleshing out the worldview true?

Llyranor

duckroll said:
The game is definitely designed such that as story events change the main mission, you can keep playing and experience the scenario without turning the game into a draggy grind of going back and forth between the dungeon and the ship just to make small steps of progress.

That's not to say you won't die every now and then, especially if you're careless or you encounter new foes your party build might not be equipped to handle. But such deaths are not something you have to grind to overcome, but simply requires a change in strategy. There are quite a substantial number of save points throughout each dungeon, so that's another thing that really helps the pacing.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm all for a challenging game, but the pacing should always be good.

duckroll

Error said:
did you ever figure out if the fusion results were fixed?

what about EX missions have you try those? if so what they said about them fleshing out the worldview true?

EX Missions are very, very good. There are a few generic ones which just require items, those are boring. But most of the 10 or so EX Missions I've done so far have not only given certain demons more personality, but were also pretty fun.

There are several EX Missions where a demon will ask you to go talk to another demon to either get something, or to pass a message or something. So you'll have to remember where that demon can be found in a random encounter, and literally talk to that demon in a battle. It's cute. There are also EX Missions with special boss fights

Many EX Missions also have pretty good rewards, because bringing the reward back to the Lab in the ship will allow new Sub-Applications to be created.

And yes I figured out quite a bit about fusion. Here's what I've figured out:

- Fusion results between demons are fixed. This means, fusing Duckroll with Y2kev will always result in Error inheriting Duckroll's first skill. A base Duckroll's first skill is Agi. So a normal fusion will always result in Error inheriting Agi.

- Now as you level Duckroll up, there's always a chance his Agi skill will mutate. If you let it mutate, it could change into Poison Needle. If this happens, then fusing this Duckroll with Y2kev will result in an Error with Poison Needle inherited. It's fixed.

- Fusion results between demons with Devil Source added, is fixed up until you maximize the skill slots. This means if I fuse Duckroll with Y2kev, and add in a Charlequin Source, it will result in an Error inheriting Agi (or Poison Needle) as well as all the skills inside the Charlequin Source.

Let's say the skills in the Source are Bufu, Mahabufu, Ice Booster, and Media. Let's say Error's base skills are Bufula and Dia. So normally, you will get an Error with Bufula, Dia and Agi. That's 3 out of 6 slots. By adding the Devil Source, you're inserting 4 more skills into that. This means 1 skill has to be left out.

The skill that is left out is RANDOM. But you don't have to confirm until you have the set up you want. So it's xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo time again. It's not that bad though, since it shuffles quickly and there's only 1 possible skill that gets left out.

The interesting thing is, the skill that is left out is not just chosen from the Devil Source skills, but all the possible skills the demon can have. So it's even possible to shuffle out Error's original base skills. That means you can create an Error with Bufula, Bufu, Mahabufu, Ice Booster, Agi and Media. Shuffling out his original base Dia skill.

- Next up, some odder news. Yes, you can only get each Devil Source once in the entire game. But it gets weirder. There are a fixed set of skills for each Devil Source in the game program, but every Devil Source you extract can have a "bonus skill". What is this bonus skill? It is a random skill out of all the skills that particular demon that is giving the source has. This might sound a little confusing so let me clear it up a but.

Let's say a Pixie Source for example is Dia and Media. These two are fixed. It doesn't matter that your Pixie does not have Media, a Pixie Source will always have Dia and Media. Now, if you had somehow fused a crazy Pixie -before- ever getting a Pixie Source, which has Megido. When you get your Pixie Source, there's a chance that the Pixie Source will contain Dia, Media and Megido. With Megido being the bonus skill.

- So how does extracting a Devil Source work? When you max out the Analyze Bar for a demon, the next time you have that demon in your party and it levels up, it will give you that Devil Source. This basically means if you want to create a specific Devil Source, it will require you ensuring that you never level that demon up once the demon's Analyze Bar is maxed out, until you have a particular build of that demon that you want to create a source with.

It's a bit of a headache for players who are usually a bit more OCD about perfecting stuff like this. The other problem would be that you would need to save just before leveling that demon up, and reset and reload over and over until the bonus skill is the one you want. Seems too much of a bitch to me, so I'm just playing the game normally. x_X

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
DUCK STOLE MY RESEARCH.
I experimented and figured out all the Devil Source shit and passed it along to him!
:lol

Anyways, everything he mentioned has been verified by the both of us. The new system is pretty interesting and will really kill OCD players. Devil Co-op system is awesome too; a full team of Chaos-aligned demons smacking a boss around is simply delightful. SJ is my GotY. :D

duckroll

Kyouji said:
DUCK STOLE MY RESEARCH.
I experimented and figured out all the Devil Source shit and passed it along to him!
:lol

Anyways, everything he mentioned has been verified by the both of us. The new system is pretty interesting and will really kill OCD players. Devil Co-op system is awesome too; a full team of Chaos-aligned demons smacking a boss around is simply delightful. SJ is my GotY. :D

Yes I did. That's what you get when you don't post on GAF enough! :lol

On another note, your Chaos party is really pissing me off. I'm having nightmares of actually being STUCK on Neutral the entire game. Need to get into Law asap so I can create an ANGELIC party! Grrrrrr. Hope the next story event happens soon! :)

So, tell me about alignment.

How hard is it to tell a demon's alignment before you fuse it? How about your own alignment? How many choices are there and how strongly do they seem to incline you?

I feel predisposed to go for a strong Law path on playing this game, but seeing how far that got me in Raidou 2 I'm not so sure that'll work out. :lol

NichM

Banned
duckroll said:
- Fusion results between demons are fixed. This means, fusing Duckroll with Y2kev will always result in Error inheriting Duckroll's first skill.

I found your examples hard to follow because I kept thinking you were talking about fusion accidents. :lol

duckroll

charlequin said:
So, tell me about alignment.

How hard is it to tell a demon's alignment before you fuse it? How about your own alignment? How many choices are there and how strongly do they seem to incline you?

I feel predisposed to go for a strong Law path on playing this game, but seeing how far that got me in Raidou 2 I'm not so sure that'll work out. :lol

Alignment is straight forward and totally transparent in SJ. Simply by looking at the names of anything, you can tell the alignment. White = neutral, blue = law, red = chaos. You'll now when your alignment has changed simply by looking at the color of your name.

There aren't a ton of choices in SJ, certainly less than Raidou 2 in terms of frequency. There's also no immediate way to tell which choices affect alignment and which don't, expect the really obvious ones. It's obvious when you're given a decision and there are 3 choices.

Anyone who is familiar with the series should be able to tell that it is an alignment choice (moral question), but which alignment the choices result in may not be that obvious. So far though, they kinda are.

NichM said:
I found your examples hard to follow because I kept thinking you were talking about fusion accidents. :lol

I don't want to turn into a Yawee! >_<

Doctor_No

I'm starting to have a change of heart on in regards to the story- currently at the boss for the 5th dungeon.

Taken in relation to the context of the game, being essentially a dungeon crawler and a spin-off, its very good. To me at least, my motivation for doing anything in this game, still has no relation to the the characters or overall story- but its well fleshed out. There are some twists, and there's always something happening.

duckroll said:
EX Missions are very, very good. There are a few generic ones which just require items, those are boring. But most of the 10 or so EX Missions I've done so far have not only given certain demons more personality, but were also pretty fun.

There are several EX Missions where a demon will ask you to go talk to another demon to either get something, or to pass a message or something. So you'll have to remember where that demon can be found in a random encounter, and literally talk to that demon in a battle. It's cute. There are also EX Missions with special boss fights

Many EX Missions also have pretty good rewards, because bringing the reward back to the Lab in the ship will allow new Sub-Applications to be created.

I absolutely agree with this- so much. The EX missions are incredibly well done in this game. Much like DQ9, and unlike 7th Dragon, completing most of these missions has a long-lasting benefit in the form of sub-appli. One example is, completing a certain EX mission allows you to dramatically increase or decrease you encounter rate. You can beat the game without it, but its a huge help.

Part of this is that the dungeons are also effective and well-designed. It has that Metroidvania-esque quality where after you receive new skills and keys that allows you to backtrack and receive EX quests from areas previously inaccessible that you have passed before. Going back, most of the time, is entirely ancillary to the main quest, so its not a chore. Combine this with EX missions that well-reward your efforts, and you start appreciating what a well thought-out game this is.

duckroll

I'm almost 20 hours into the game now, and most of today has been spent on EX Missions. I must say, this is probably the best aspect in the entire game. It's something that totally shines through and through. Everything Watanabe said about his philosophy in designing the EX Missions seems to carry through in execution and I'm really loving it.

Not only are the various missions usually unique and different, but they definitely build on many things that add to the player's enjoyment. They either flesh out the mythology/origin of a demon in the game, or build on relationships between different demons in the game, or help flesh out parts of the main scenario by tying up some loose ends in previous missions, etc.

The rewards themselves are awesome, as previously mentioned, but it's really the entire structure which I feel is outstanding. In general most EX Missions feel like a self contained level on their own. There's an introduction as you first accept the mission, giving you a good premise and motivation to actually carry out the task. Then there's the mission itself, which is often pretty fun to do, or something that requires a bit of thought and/or effort, so when you actually accomplish it you feel a sense of satisfaction instead of just doing a mundane task. Then there's the conclusion, where you gain an actual reward for accomplishing the task, and sometimes you also get a sort of mini-ending to the self contained story in the mission.

The rewards are very often unique, as opposed to something you can get elsewhere, which makes doing the missions all the more meaningful. Aside from Sub-Applications, I've also encountered missions which reward with good equipment (weapons, armor, or accessories), as well as unlocking demon fusions. For a SMT fan, the EX Missions in SJ will not just be some optional part of the game, but something that shouldn't be missed out at all.

I think I've had the most fun playing the game today, out of all I've played previously. Both in terms of story and the main mission activities, and in the EX Missions, the game is definitely picking up more and more as I progress. There's more of everything I loved about it before, and they expand the scope to make it even more enjoyable as you play. :eek:

Yaweee

Is there a limit as to how many EX missions you can be on at a time?

Regardless, good rewards and fun objectives seems like a huge break from quests in previous Atlus games (I eventually stopped doing them completely in EO2 and P4).

The Metroidvania aspect of backtracking also sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm still skeptic about the fusion system. Eliminating OXOXOXOXOXOXOX is a huge improvement, but only being able to use the Demon Sources once each seems like a significant change for the series. Unless I'm mistaken, pretty much everything fusible in the previous in previous SMT games could be gotten again, either from enemies or through the compendium.

On another note, I've read that there's an infinitely repeatable dialog option with an NPC that changes your alignment at will. Is this just a bug, or is it meant to be easy to switch?

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Is there a limit as to how many EX missions you can be on at a time?

No, there's no limit. As you accept missions they just appear on your EX Mission log list. When you complete it, the dot next to the mission lights up. There are missions which definitely require you to be at a further point in the game before they can be completed, so limiting the number of active missions would hinder the fun in the game.

I'm still skeptic about the fusion system. Eliminating OXOXOXOXOXOXOX is a huge improvement, but only being able to use the Demon Sources once each seems like a significant change for the series. Unless I'm mistaken, pretty much everything fusible in the previous in previous SMT games could be gotten again, either from enemies or through the compendium.

I definitely feel the fusion system is a huge shake up, and that it's deliberate. The fusion system in SMT3 was quite a significant shake up too, compared to previous games. The new concepts take some getting used to, but it's still very fun and totally functional. Just... different.

On another note, I've read that there's an infinitely repeatable dialog option with an NPC that changes your alignment at will. Is this just a bug, or is it meant to be easy to switch?

I don't know anything about that. It's not easy to change alignment around at all right now, since it's limited to basically 1 choice you can make in each major area, and some rare EX Missions which have an effect on alignment. I haven't been reading spoilers so I'll rather not know.

Llyranor

Can you switch demons in and out of your active party at will outside of battle (or even within?), or do you need to be at a specific location to do so?

Is there a limit to how many demons you can have?

Doctor_No

Llyranor said:
Can you switch demons in and out of your active party at will outside of battle (or even within?), or do you need to be at a specific location to do so?

Is there a limit to how many demons you can have?

You can switch demons in and out at will. During battle you can change them in/out but it takes the players turn to summon them.

There is a limit to the number of demons you can have, you start off with 8, and it expands as you progress through the game.

duckroll

It's pretty normal to be able to swap demons in and out of the active party anywhere outside of battles or even inside of battles for megaten games though. What SJ does differently than normal is the ability to use fusion and the compendium anywhere and at any time. Since the fusion system is an application on your suit, as long as you have the Macca, you can recall any registered demon from the compendium back into your current stock. You can also do fusion at any time while playing. This makes it helpful if you're trying to fuse something on a Full Moon, because you don't have to time it so that you enter a fusion location on a Full Moon, but instead just jump into the menu when you've moved around until it's a Full Moon. It also means that while inside a dungeon, if you encounter new enemies which prove to be troublesome and you need a demon with a set of skills you don't current have, you can just fuse it right there and then.

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
It's pretty normal to be able to swap demons in and out of the active party anywhere outside of battles or even inside of battles for megaten games though. What SJ does differently than normal is the ability to use fusion and the compendium anywhere and at any time. Since the fusion system is an application on your suit, as long as you have the Macca, you can recall any registered demon from the compendium back into your current stock. You can also do fusion at any time while playing. This makes it helpful if you're trying to fuse something on a Full Moon, because you don't have to time it so that you enter a fusion location on a Full Moon, but instead just jump into the menu when you've moved around until it's a Full Moon. It also means that while inside a dungeon, if you encounter new enemies which prove to be troublesome and you need a demon with a set of skills you don't current have, you can just fuse it right there and then.

Its definitely an interesting dynamic to be able to immediately fuse/register/recall demons directly from the menu. For this game it makes a lot of sense because you can be deep within the dungeon, and be at a save and heal point, and the only point of returning to the ship is to buy/sell things at the lab. I have to admire that SJ goes out of its way to remove tedium from this gaming experience. Another aspect I've noticed is that there are short cuts after you've completed a certain area of the dungeon, this is especially noticeable in the sixth dungeon. The more I play this, the more I appreciate what a streamlined experience this is.

Bebpo

Banned
If there's one thing I have to give this game, it's that it's giving me a whole new SMT experience.

My game decided my personality was LUCK-based. Luck is now my highest stat. Last level up it put all 3 stat points into luck. I never put stats into luck in SMT games outside of Raidou 2 (for unique reasons there), so this is my first SMT playing as a HIGH ROLLER. Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens!

I really do love having my fusion chamber and fusion book with cheap low-cost demons available at any moment while crawling. I just keep making demons. Might as well since when I save up my money I get ROBBED for thousands of makka by evil enemies >_<

Oh and I like how this game doesn't eat up my battery because it's 2d. On Blue Dragon with it's awesome 3d xbox360 pixelated graphics I got maybe 2 hours of playing before the battery went red. It was awful since I don't have a plug nearby. Here I haven't seen a red light yet!

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
If there's one thing I have to give this game, it's that it's giving me a whole new SMT experience.

My game decided my personality was LUCK-based. Luck is now my highest stat. Last level up it put all 3 stat points into luck. I never put stats into luck in SMT games outside of Raidou 2 (for unique reasons there), so this is my first SMT playing as a HIGH ROLLER. Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens!

I really do love having my fusion chamber and fusion book with cheap low-cost demons available at any moment while crawling. I just keep making demons. Might as well since when I save up my money I get ROBBED for thousands of makka by evil enemies >_<

Oh and I like how this game doesn't eat up my battery because it's 2d. On Blue Dragon with it's awesome 3d xbox360 pixelated graphics I got maybe 2 hours of playing before the battery went red. It was awful since I don't have a plug nearby. Here I haven't seen a red light yet!

Those Macca robbing enemies are annoying. They don't rob you of a little to, its a huge heist, and there are several of those types of enemies :(

I've also noticed that recalling enemies can get insanely expensive. Probably because there is an obvious loop-hole in this game. Since you can have passwords that gives you exact demons with exact skills, and since you can apply Devil Source once to any fusion, then you obviously can make your special fusion using your Devil Source and get the password for your fusion. Hence, allowing you to reset and enter then enter that password- thus not using your demons or your Devil Source.

I'm assuming that the developers knew of this obvious loop-hole (and the fact that PWs can be dissipated throughout the internet), so good skills have an insanely expensive premium to them. You can have a well-skilled demon that can cost thrice its normal equivalent.

Bebpo

Banned
yeah I'm not using the password system at all because I don't want to enter those long passwords.

demons with good skills costing more than stock demons has always been the norm. When I'm crawling I just stick with making stock demons. My goal for now is just make as close to 100% of the stock demons and then I can pick and choose when I want to fuse great demons for specific bosses.

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
yeah I'm not using the password system at all because I don't want to enter those long passwords.

demons with good skills costing more than stock demons has always been the norm. When I'm crawling I just stick with making stock demons. My goal for now is just make as close to 100% of the stock demons and then I can pick and choose when I want to fuse great demons for specific bosses.

Yep, those long passwords are annoying, but some of the 'secret' passwords are pretty short. And they give you characters like Bugabo, and otherwise unattainable characters.

I think the cost premium is a lot higher in SJ then previous SMT games relative to skilled-demons, I've had demons that are otherwise a few thousand Macca cost in the tens of thousands of Macca merely by adding some higher level skills via Source.

Bebpo

Banned
Well I haven't used any sources yet, that may be why haha

I hate using one-time only items in games, so I'm just stockpiling them until I get stuck or to endgame. I have about 20-30 right now ^^;

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
Well I haven't used any sources yet, that may be why haha

I hate using one-time only items in games, so I'm just stockpiling them until I get stuck or to endgame. I have about 20-30 right now ^^;

I'm the same way, I can't get myself to sell the seemingly redundant forma...

Right now, the Sources come with relatively low-level skills so I'm not to afraid of using them. Primarily because I know I'll be getting better skills later in the game.

I know my personality, and I know I won't be able to use the high-level, much rarer, sources later in the game. For that I may end up using the Source->password->reset loop-hole. Which may become more tedious then the repetitious xoxoxoxoxo :(

TheChillyAcademic said:
Duckroll and Doctor No. are making the wait for this absolutely horrid.

Aye, starting up a True Demon Nocturne file and hoping that tides me over. Will need the help when P3PSP is announced before SJ. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
why would you need D-sources that give low tier spells for end-game?

Why would you use them on low-tier demons who have the spells already?

I dunno, I mean I'm not having any difficulty surviving so far so I don't see any reason to use them up. Adding low tier spells wouldn't really improve anything at this point. But who knows maybe I'll get to a boss that is weak to agi spells and use d-sources to give all my best demons agi at that point.

Bebpo

Banned
I like the coop system but there are definitely drawbacks.

Like when you've built the ultimate 4 entity LAW party and then mid-dungeon your PC changes to NEUTRAL and your party now sucks and you have to start from scratch and rebuild a new one. >____<

In some cases it's not suuuper important to have all the same alignment, but it sure does make things go faster!

duckroll

Didn't play too much today, went to the beach instead. But, I did manage to find some time on the train to...... CONVERT TO LAW! :D

Now I have an awesome law party! I used 2 devil sources as part of the plan, but having stocked up a good amount of sources it didn't take long to make a pretty awesome new party. :D

Unfortunately it meant I had to say good bye to Jyaku Frost... ;_;

Oh and Bebpo, I dunno, but I don't see how likely it is that you will SUDDENLY change alignment without you actually intending to. Sure, it sucks if it accidentally happens, but that's not something that usually occurs unless you're a flip-flopper in the game too!

I kid, I kid! :)

Given how text heavy this game seems to be, I wonder how long it'll take to come over to the West. Has it even been "officially" announced for the West yet?

duckroll

TheChillyAcademic said:
Given how text heavy this game seems to be, I wonder how long it'll take to come over to the West. Has it even been "officially" announced for the West yet?

Nope. But the new Blue Dragon DS game has been announced for Europe in English! :lol

Edit: Looks like it's been announced for the US too! :lol

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
Good God! The boss of the 5th area is a pain in the ASS! :lol

Took me well over an hour to beat him, luckily you can save in between. I actually really enjoyed that boss, kinda broke things up a bit, made things a little interesting. The 5th area itself was kinda a pain in the ass, so I guess the boss was kinda fitting.

Mid-way through the boss fight, I accidentally challenged that EX boss in the back and got my ass whopped. So I had to start all over :lol

duckroll

Doctor_No said:
Took me well over an hour to beat him, luckily you can save in between. I actually really enjoyed that boss, kinda broke things up a bit, made things a little interesting. The 5th area itself was kinda a pain in the ass, so I guess the boss was kinda fitting.

Mid-way through the boss fight, I accidentally challenged that EX boss in the back and got my ass whopped. So I had to start all over :lol

If you mean the room at the back, I've already beaten that! It was a nice surprise too. :)

I'm at the final part of the fight now and the heavy physical damage is really screwing me up. I think I might need to rearrange the party a little and insert some sort of defense buff. Argh!!

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
If you mean the room at the back, I've already beaten that! It was a nice surprise too. :)

I'm at the final part of the fight now and the heavy physical damage is really screwing me up. I think I might need to rearrange the party a little and insert some sort of defense buff. Argh!!

:bow:

Still can't beat that damn EX boss and I'm at the beginning of the 6th area. For some reason my main character keeps getting killed; the rest of characters are fine. Goes to show you how important strategy in this game, can't beat enemies just by rushing into them (or else you can play the whole game on auto-battle).

I'm going to level up, get some new demons and try for that boss again later. I'm also going to go back to previous areas and open all the C gates.

duckroll

BEAT THE MOTHERFUCKER! Sweet Jesus. I ended up beating the battle with just me and Valkyrie. It became pointless for me to keep reviving demons which would die again. I think I'm going to do a ton of fusion and exploring previous maps before progressing further in the next new area.

ethelred

Oorah.

... Amazon.ca [...] lists Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey’s release date as March 10, 2010. That seems about right. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor took around six months to localize. Strange Journey came out in October so the time line fits.

duckroll

It's weird that it shows up when you search, but you can't actually click on it - the product page doesn't actually exist yet.

duckroll

40 hours clocked now. Just beat another major boss. That was SO FUCKING SATISFYING. When I first got to the boss, my party configuration was totally off, and I was totally destroyed. So I spent 20 minutes tinkling with fusion to create another party. Almost won, but one misstep at the end of the battle got my MC killed and that was that. :lol

I got really mad, and went back to a previous area to farm some demons for more fusion. I was actually trying to max out the analyze bar of a certain enemy in a random encounter, so the summon cost for that demon would be halved. Why? Because I was planning on using a fucking password from the Atlus password forum to summon a variation of the demon with Ice reflect.

But while farming demons in the pervious area, I ended up fusing another demon which gave me a different tactical idea. I ended up tackling the boss with a completely different strategy in mind, and instead of attempt to protect myself against the attacks by nulling or reflecting them, I used a strong offense party and attack/defend buffs myself.

I actually ended up using healing items in the battle which I normally wouldn't bother with at all, just so the demons could keep attacking without having to cast healing spells. It worked really well, and I pretty much destroyed the boss without too much stress. I was really glad the strategy worked, and it was super satisfying! :D :D :D

Tamanon

Banned
duckroll said:
It's weird that it shows up when you search, but you can't actually click on it - the product page doesn't actually exist yet.

And now it's been taken off the search itself!

That's a pretty good sign, IMO.

Doctor_No

Man, some of these bosses are insanely hard.

Haven't had too much time this weekend so I haven't gotten that far, so I'm still currently at the 6th level boss, reconfiguring my team to match this boss, but the mid-level boss
Jack
really did a number on me. I could not for the life of me beat this guy, he had no weaknesses to attack, constantly healed himself, took me forever to find a strategy that works.

The subsequent bosses I haven't had too much of a hard time with, but the more I play this game the more I'm appreciating that these bosses can't be beaten merely by grinding and merely leveling up, the strategy of building your team, the skills you use, are what this game is all about. Discovering a tactic that works is incredibly enjoyable.

Game design decisions of allowing passwords, and allowing you to fuse demons everywhere, and removing some of the randomness goes a long way to remove the tediousness. But after playing these bosses I'm beginning to appreciate exactly why they choose to implement the system that they did. The old system would have been entirely too cumbersome given the play-style of this game especially with the alignment-Devil Co-op, but more so because the boss designs are entirely strategy based.

I'm also impressed that the bosses get better and better as the game progresses, they are still fresh after all these hours, and I actually look forward to fighting them. The bosses really make this game.

Top Bottom