• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

svenuce

nubbe said:
I was thinking of yoghurt for some reason when I saw the picture.

Yogurt.jpg

D-X

As far as I know UDON are just updating each frame to HD rather than adding more fps to each animation so that explains the 3fps jibe. As for people saying UDON are botching this job - **** off if you've seen the comics you'd know that they actually care about the series. I personally think they're doing a great job.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Man...

I think they revealed it in black and white on purpose so weirdos can live out their fantasy.

edit: Why is... how come her hand is not by her eyes to dry her tears? Its as if shes grasping something in her hand and putting it on her mouth...

Xtyle

That's funny.
Comics is one thing...there are many things that can make a comic book wonderful (such as story) while still being faulty in other areas. I don't think they are that awesome in art (we are talking more about believeable BGs and *character drawings for this game). It might have worked in the comics, but this is a different case here. Being in HD is certainly attractive, but the quality of the work doesn't impress me.

Oh and while related, comics and animation are still 2 different animals.

Not only do I LOVE the more angular/anti-anime art style but i am COMPLETELY ****ING ENAMORED with the fact that it's getting geeks angry although looking more lovely than it ever has.

Xtyle

"Not only do I LOVE the more angular/anti-anime art style but i am COMPLETELY ****ING ENAMORED with the fact that it's getting geeks angry although looking more lovely than it ever has."

nothing's wrong with loving bad art:)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looking hot - and this is even before my pervy-mode kicked in a split-second later...

Expected the full-body sprite, but I'm not complaining...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Abominable Snowman said:
Not only do I LOVE the more angular/anti-anime art style but i am COMPLETELY ****ING ENAMORED with the fact that it's getting geeks angry although looking more lovely than it ever has.

Ken, Akuma, and (so far) Chun Li look great. I just wasn't a fan of what they did with Guile, and it looks like they got TONS of feedback expressing that same opinion. Clearly, enough that they addressed the issue on the blog.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Bad art?

Or "It's not Anime so it sucks!"?

Besides, it still looks a million times better than any other iteration of Street Fighter II, the EX series included ;)

Euh, it IS anime. At least the style is inspired by it.

I'm digging the Chun-Li look, much better than Guile so far. Also, Im pretty worried about a 3rd Strike re-make. I mean, it would be cool if they kept the same style as SF III just higher res, but if they redraw everything so that its classic UDON style, then no thanks. The art for 3rd strike is better, no matter the res (again, from what Im seeing so far)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
How is any of the art for any of this not anime inspired?

What is wrong with you people.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
hehe this will have the original music then? and it will play like turbo? wuwahahahah ryu rockets back to the top of tier charts >:) .

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
this is hilarious i go to check the "feedback" from when guile was posted on the blog and the first negative post is from neogaf ...everyone else was loving it till Sarin pans it and calls it middle school notebook doodling art :lol .

Why is she smelling her fingers? If they simply traced the original frames and add detail I think they would be doing a better job, imo.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
trejo said:
Fixed it for ya.
Sharp? *sigh*

Anyway, can't wait until they trace and color in all the sprites so people can shout "unacceptable!" a bit more. (Only possible outcome since they're still retaining the origional art style of the sprites.)

Christopher

I think this is perhaps the coolest, unique, and innovative thing done in ahwile...atlhough it essentailly is Street FIghter II...again, it's with comic hand drawn sprites, and putting gloss on a classic.

God damn there are haters for everything, shut up.

Jirotrom

Christopher said:
I think this is perhaps the coolest, unique, and innovative thing done in ahwile...atlhough it essentailly is Street FIghter II...again, it's with comic hand drawn sprites, and putting gloss on a classic.

God damn there are haters for everything, shut up.
QFT

Xtyle

"Bad art?

Or "It's not Anime so it sucks!"?"

It is funny that anyone that knows me knows that I am not a fan of anime.

I think this wouldn't be criticized as much at a message board like gamefaqs..I think the reason that people here are more critical is because 1) they are usually adults (unlike other game boards), 2) there are more than a few artists around. 3) The original had a nice style and no amount of this bad art. Look at their hands, I haven't seen one that's not awkward looking.

now look at SFIII. every one has big feet and chun li has huge hugh thigh...some may not like it, but they were still well drawn (good anatomy within the SFIII style etc.)

bad art is when you draw things that are supposed to represent real life off.

if I draw a square table that is supposed to represent a table we see daily...but I give it 9 legs, and they are all crocked and tilted. do you think I have done a good job of illustrating what a square table looks like? It hurts my eyes looking at those joints and what is supposed to be muscles.

I would probably care less if it is not capcom and is not SF, but SF deserves much better...only thing worst I have seen is the mega man 1 cover art lol (ok this one is just a joke).

Orobi

Meh. Her face looks not too good for me :( I don't want to say bad art, but...
I still prefer the old art, it was more "japanese" and more "VG related".
This kind of art seems coming from a comic, I don't really like it.
So, I will buy this remake, beacuse I love SF and I hope one day, to see Street Fighter 4 coming from Capcom.

GrayFoxPL

Sapiens said:
Also, the new Chun Li lose pose portrait is the first thing that has come out of this Udon mess that I've liked.

lol, I was going to say the same thing(apart the "mess" ).

I didn't realise they were going to do their own artwork for loosing portraits. The aren't redraw, it's something new - cool.

I'm thinking Blanka will be the final test for Udon.

Who's with me on this?

Hopefully it won't look as bad as in Alpha/Zero series. Ugh.

My sentiments exactly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Let's just get something straight real quick

Udon does not specialize in "american" art styles. If you have read any of their books it's basically manga in color with an American style binding. UDON IS A JAPANESE FOOD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. It didn't get any more or less "anime."

Please for god's sake find another ****ing word to describe this shit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Let's also not forget that the original Super Street Fighter II artwork is from 1993, people. The "anime style" was different back then, and I think that Udon is doing a good job keeping the flavor of the original art combined with their own style.

RavenFox

Banned
Srider said:
I'm starting to think Capcom really made a bad decision in their choice of art house to do the HD sprites.

Now that the coolness of the HD remix has settled in, people are looking at it with a more critical eye now. The result isn't pretty.
yup

karasu

sp0rsk said:
Let's just get something straight real quick

Udon does not specialize in "american" art styles. If you have read any of their books it's basically manga in color with an American style binding. UDON IS A JAPANESE FOOD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. It didn't get any more or less "anime."

Please for god's sake find another ****ing word to describe this shit.

Yeah!!

Jesus.

These are a definite improvement over those ancient sprites, and while they do need a bit of work, they aren't ****ing horrendous. Geez. Anime is a cartoon that's been drawn and animated in the Japan. Guess where Street Fighter was drawn and animated?

Please, please give SF3 the HD treatment. This Chun art is good, and I'd like to see more like it in SF3.

aoi tsuki

FlightOfHeaven said:
Jesus.

These are a definite improvement over those ancient sprites, and while they do need a bit of work, they aren't ****ing horrendous. Geez. Anime is a cartoon that's been drawn and animated in the Japan. Guess where Street Fighter was drawn and animated?

Please, please give SF3 the HD treatment. This Chun art is good, and I'd like to see more like it in SF3.
Honestly, i'd rather have SF3 with scanlines and filtering than give it the Udon treatment.

Dali

aoi tsuki said:
Honestly, i'd rather have SF3 with scanlines and filtering than give it the Udon treatment.

+1

The old SF2 style didn't really have any special place in my heart because it is so average. Darkstalkers, the Alphas, and SF3 all have an awesome style of sprites that is superior to Udon's work. I'm not against the sprites being redrawn, but hopefully it would be done in the same style or one that looks better (if that is possible).

Top Bottom