• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Tain

Tried Otogi last night after really briefly trying it back in like 2004. Seems like a much weaker Shinobi 2002 mechanically but the aesthetics are great and the destruction tech is really impressive.

Idk if I was feeling it. I might give it another shot later but it mostly reminded me that I wanted to start Onimusha 2.

Tried Otogi last night after really briefly trying it back in like 2004. Seems like a much weaker Shinobi 2002 mechanically but the aesthetics are great and the destruction tech is really impressive.

Idk if I was feeling it. I might give it another shot later but it mostly reminded me that I wanted to start Onimusha 2.
It's definitely one of those games where the sequel improves on the game in pretty much every respect, kind of like going from Zone of the Enders to The 2nd Runner. Things like dashing while locked on and having it actually move to the exact position as the target is one of the bigger significant changes in 2 and I think makes the concept much more mechanically sound.

Still, first game has its merits that's at least worth seeing to the end. Raikoh being the only playable character and the Princess as his only contact does create an atmosphere of loneliness that the sequel lacks. Though whether you want to see it to the end on 2nd Play may be difficult if you still struggle to maintain interest on the first playthrough (2nd playthrough of the game does provide minor differences, most significant being the end of the final mission)

Raldoh

Played through most of Metal Wolf Chaos, not really having too much fun playing it. The gameplay of Metal Wolf Chaos is quite shallow, and the later boss fights can be pretty frustrating. It feels like something a team at FromSoftware quickly put together in a game jam session as a protest during the post 9/11 Bush madness. But it's a really interesting game for what it is and represents, especially in times like these. I'm glad for experiencing it.

Well I opened this up to clean the laser. Yeah pretty dusty in here. Cleaned it out. Fingers crossed.

No Love.

Well I guess plan B. On the plus side I can probably steal the O ring to fix the drawer on another X-Box.

Timu

Just got Spider Man 2 for Xbox, I played this back on Gamecube when it was 1st released but was a rental so I finally own it now. Screens I took.
armarec20160314_014949.png
armarec20160314_020414.png
armarec20160314_020944.png

televator

Got my copy of Psychonauts today. That's another game migrated from the PS2 side of my collection. Might go for the Battlefront games next.

Finished splinter cell for the first time. I think I had a lot more patience for it these days than I did back then.

It was really good. A few frustrating parts but overall I loved it. I kind of want to play the whole series now. And I got a couple of the ps2 ports to compare because they're just a couple bucks each and have extra levels.

It's weird because I've been playing the division as well. I played splinter cell using the big duke controller on a crt. The other night I played that about 90 minutes then jumped into the division.

Playing with the 360 pad and the huge graphics leap gave me a really weird feeling. Like almost made me dizzy at the amount of detail in the modern game, and the modern controller felt like holding a single playing card compared to the Duke.

Coda

Played through most of Metal Wolf Chaos, not really having too much fun playing it. The gameplay of Metal Wolf Chaos is quite shallow, and the later boss fights can be pretty frustrating. It feels like something a team at FromSoftware quickly put together in a game jam session as a protest during the post 9/11 Bush madness. But it's a really interesting game for what it is and represents, especially in times like these. I'm glad for experiencing it.

It does have some annoying/hard moments but I still love the game for the pure chaos and destructiveness that the game shows off. When you see a tank flip in the air or a whole building get decimated I can't help but have a shit eating grin on my face. It is a lot more fun once you beat the game and start unlocking the joke weapons.

It's definitely not the most polished game but I just love that it's a game that doesn't care and just throws in everything and the kitchen sink in terms of explosive gameplay. I can't even imagine how amazing a Metal Wolf Chaos 2 would be on PS4.

After putting it off for so long, I finally went and replaced the Thompson drive in my current Xbox with the Philips drive from my busted, old one. Was as smooth and easy to do as expected, and I dealt with the clock capacitor at the same time, so right now none of the components are in noticeable danger of failing any time soon.

I've actually been thinking about getting back into playing some of the games I own for this thing mostly to rebuild some of the save data I had failed to back up prior. Since getting my current one I had played through JSRF and both Otogi games to completion, but right now I'm wanting to replay Ninja Gaiden Black to get back to where I was end of last year (part way through Very Hard difficulty). Same for DOA2 Ultimate with all the costumes I had unlocked.

benzy

Otogi gets considerably better once you obtain stronger weapons and level up.

I can understand how dashing and aerial maneuvering remind you of Shinobi, but it Otogi is more of an experience than the kind of action game you use to push your skills like Shinobi. There are some parts that'll push you though.

It also keeps getting better throughout the first game and then the sequel takes everything in the first game and triples it. It's kinda nuts how much more they fit into the sequel. Still not a skill-pushing action game but very interesting to play. The last boss in Otogi 2 is something everyone should see!

Finished Normal on Ninja Gaiden Black, once again unlocking Mission Mode and getting back on track to where I was on my last system. Unfortunately, my controller has been running into an issue with the left stick where it'll trigger a right direction input even if I don't actually push it that way (wiggling it around in the center seems to cause it). Normally this wouldn't surprise me since my PS2 controller does the same thing but that's only when I haven't used it in months. However, this Xbox S controller has been getting regular use, and it deciding to move me right when I don't want to has screwed me up a couple of times during some sessions of Ninja Gaiden (the platforming specifically).

Oh well, gonna ride this controller out as long as I can before I have some money to spare on a new one. I have a Duke, but that face button layout screws me up super hard that I'd rather not bother.

Anyway, on to re unlocking all that bonus content from DOA2 Ultimate that also was lost. Maybe this time I'll just go for the collection method in survival mode instead of arcade mode several dozen times.

Successfully replaced my Thompson with the Phillips. Also pulled the clock capacitor while I was in there. Holy dust bunnies Batman.

Well I will need to do the clock capacitor on my other two X-Boxes as well.

huh, one of my X-Boxen (MFG 8/16/2003) doesn't have the clock capacitor. Does that mean I have nothing to fix?

REDSLATE

So, after extensive stress-testing, I'm happy to report that there are no I'll effects of using the third-party (non-branded, Chinese) power supply.

The only noticeable difference is a slight (talking ms, here) delay between pushing the power button and booting up. Considering that this is the only alternative to the POS FoxLinks (found in 1.0/1.1 Xboxes), and that, furthermore, it's a one-size-fits-all solution for ANY version Xbox, this is an easy compromise to make.

Build-wise, the soldering is a little sloppy, but the design itself appears to be of higher quality that its predecessor. It also appears to have more fail-safes built in, so it shouldn't spark/catch fire like the FoxLink.

Peltz

I remember really thinking it was lame, trying it after I'd just finished Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. I bet I'd have a better appreciation of it today.

REDSLATE

I don't know the manufacture date but yes some later model of the Xbox doesn't have the leaking capacitor so no need to remove it.

Version 1.6 (around 2005)
It's worth noting that this revision has problems playing a few early Sega games (Panzer Dragoon Orta being one such example).

Drippy

I'm just playing Midtown Madness 3 for the first time and it's surprisingly fun game. Great driving, crazy missions and totally unrealistic physics (in a good way) make this game great. Graphics looks pretty dated, but at least game supports 480p. Finished all missions in Paris and half of them in Washington. I'm definitely going to beat this title.

Glowsquid

Version 1.6 (around 2005)
It's worth noting that this revision has problems playing a few early Sega games (Panzer Dragoon Orta being one such example).

To be more precise, some games on 1.6 Xbox display a garbled image when the console is set to display 480p, but will play fine on 480i. Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta*, the standalone version of Jet Set Radio Future and Fable: The Lost CHapters are the best-known examples, but an handful of other less popular games like Wreckless, Artic Thunder, and Battle Engine Aquila also have this issue.

It seems there are hacks to fix this if your system is modded, but I might just be totally misunderstanding what I read idk.

*Orta has a workaround on an ummoded system: After you unlock the original Panzer Dragoon in the Pandora box, selecting it and exiting it will fix the display.

Teknoman

So i've got an issue with an Xbox I just picked up. When turning on, after getting past the boot screen, it just gets stuck on "Xbox live is not responding, please try again later". Of course I dont have the system connected to any networks, and it seems to say the same no matter what disc is inside.

Did I just pick up a bricked xbox?

EDIT: After some messing around and swapping parts with my earlier xbox, frankenbox lives and works perfectly!

IrishNinja

i was super LTTP with OG xbox, and sadly sold a few titles when i got em on steam...still, working on it, and my 360 collection ain't bad! also featured: handheld stuff, which i should find the thread for

enewtabie

Just got into the OG Xbox this past week. I had one at launch,but decided to start collecting some games for it. I also got the first Kotor not pictured.

Glowsquid

I want to get the first Star Wars Battlefront for some quick nostalgia fun, but it's surprisingly expensive online. Can't justify to myself dropping more than 20 bucks on it when Battlefront2 so throughously outclass it.

televator

i was super LTTP with OG xbox, and sadly sold a few titles when i got em on steam...still, working on it, and my 360 collection ain't bad! also featured: handheld stuff, which i should find the thread for

I like that you have Ghostbusters. Excellent game! I have a feeling it may become semi rare later on since Atari kicked the bucked mid gen and Gb went out of print.

REDSLATE

I want to get the first Star Wars Battlefront for some quick nostalgia fun, but it's surprisingly expensive online. Can't justify to myself dropping more than 20 bucks on it when Battlefront2 so throughously outclass it.

The first one's better. The second did a decent job balancing some of the classes themselves, but the removal of aircraft, the altered game atmosphere, and the ultra-linear nature of "space-battles" made the game far worse than the original.

Glowsquid

The first one's better. The second did a decent job balancing some of the classes themselves, but the removal of aircraft, the altered game atmosphere, and the ultra-linear nature of "space-battles" made the game far worse than the original.

I'll hold off commenting on the mechanics since it's been such a long time I've played the game (I remember the air combat being not great... but I was 10-years old so maybe something didn't click.), but my favourite mode to play in Battlefront is Galactic Conquest. The one in the first game is *really* lame in comparison.

REDSLATE

I'll hold off commenting on the mechanics since it's been such a long time I've played the game (I remember the air combat being not great... but I was 10-years old so maybe something didn't click.), but my favourite mode to play in Battlefront is Galactic Conquest. The one in the first game is *really* lame in comparison.

Nah, Galactic Conquest is much better in the first. The intro really sells it. You don't have to fiddle with "buying" your units and the gameplay isn't interrupted every other turn by a useless space battle. Plus, the ability to straight-up wipe a planet off the map as the Empire was awe-inspiring.

Granted, this is largely opinionated, but space battles and BattleFront II as a whole offered nothing worthwhile over the first outside of a unique campaign.

Timu

Here's a list of 480i only Xbox games:

Agent Under Fire
Antz-Extreme Racing
Bionicle
Broken Sword The Sleeping Dragon
Catwoman
IndyCar Series
Madagascar
Manhunt
Metal Slug 3
Motocross Mania 3
MX World Tour Featuring Jamie Little
NFL Blitz Pro
Over the Hedge
Real World Golf
Shellshock NAM67
SpongeBob SquarePants Battle for Bikini Bottom
Star Wars Republic Commando
Starsky and Hutch
Stolen
Street Racing Syndicate
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
The Thing
Top Gear RPM Tuning
Ultimate Spider-Man
Vietcong - Purple Haze
WinBack2 - Project Possidon
XGRA - Extreme-G Racing Association
Xyanide

shanafan

Very good condition for only $6.

I told myself the highest I would go if I ever found it was $15.. maybe $20. I saw it once awhile ago, but it was pretty beat up. Guess I never really researched the price, so when I saw $6, it was a done deal.

pjbrIwB.jpg

JLynn

I'm slowly but surely getting my Original Xbox back in shape. I got the HD AV pack on sale for $3.15, which was a fraction of the $40-50 it goes for on ebay. Are there any reports of these packs breaking? I haven't tested it out yet.

Very good condition for only $6.

I told myself the highest I would go if I ever found it was $15.. maybe $20. I saw it once awhile ago, but it was pretty beat up. Guess I never really researched the price, so when I saw $6, it was a done deal.

pjbrIwB.jpg

that's a good price. You'll be surprised at how fun the volleyball can be! the rest is a grindfest that's a bit awkward to play--hovering in some weird zone that's part playing with barbie dolls, part voyeur.

televator

That's one thing that popped out to me. Not just the music, but everything sounds very clear and the 5.1 audio is well mixed. It's quite stunning compared to other consoles of that generation having more compression and/or faux surround sound.

I bought this game at launch and had fun with it. Wasn't there a boss battle with a Tornado? I can't remember.

Haven't gotten that far yet. I'm just about to finish the balloon. My only complaint is the lack of a map. It's difficult navigating blind towards some objectives. Namely, the skulls. Luckily the areas aren't too big and you'll find whatever you're looking for in short time.

Top Bottom