• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Makes sense, I wan't particularly hopeful. At least a lot of games had system link support. Which is cool. How's the lag using a tunnel?

One, that game night sounds awesome.

Two, yeah you can tell the BC was ROUGH, and was only done to keep XBL players going as well as compete with the Wii and PS3. It really is shit though, so few games actually play as they were supposed to. Which is a hell of a shame.

It depends on the game. Some games are better at handling the latency than others. Ive played Halo 2 without issue (other than many of the people being foreign causing some lag) and Rallisport 2.

And glad game night sounds good, while you could play Halo 2 at any point the other games are usually empty. I want to play some Midtown Madness 3, never really played it online.

It depends on the game. Some games are better at handling the latency than others. Ive played Halo 2 without issue (other than many of the people being foreign causing some lag) and Rallisport 2.

And glad game night sounds good, while you could play Halo 2 at any point the other games are usually empty. I want to play some Midtown Madness 3, never really played it online.

Yeah, question, do you need a modded XBox to do the link stuff? Or can you tunnel it via a PC program? I thought that was how it worked in the pre XBL days.

Rich!

Yeah, question, do you need a modded XBox to do the link stuff? Or can you tunnel it via a PC program? I thought that was how it worked in the pre XBL days.

I have no idea, but I assume it just spoofs the XBL server. No modding needed.

I'm hoping the guys in town do have a xbox. Will head over there in a few hours - I've got a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein here waiting to be played.

Borman

No modded Xbox needed. It just makes the Xbox think you are connected to LAN. Nothing fancy like spoofing XBL, that is much more difficult like I said :) You need to run a client on your computer though.

RTCW would be wonderful as well.

Shaky

I'd be up for some gaming nights. The only Xbox games I have right now are Rainbow Six 3 and Halo but I plan on getting some more. Does Pandora Tomorrow have system link?

Still have yet to get XBC or XLinkKai working lol

I was pretty late to the party with the og xbox. Didn't get one until Christmas of 2005 and was so excited to finally have one. Had a nice set of games to start of with: Forza, Halo, Unreal Championship 2, NBA Live, and Fable. Being able to finally play Halo was so good.

I didn't own many games for the Xbox but the few I had ended up being some of my all time favorites; Unreal Championship 2 and Chaos Theory in particular. Lots and lots of hours playing UC II. Looking back, I really wish I had a chance to play Xbox live at the time but never had the chance too. :(

rrs

I had a Xbox back in the day, here's my thoughts on a few games I played:

Rallisport Challenge 2 is still the best semi-sim rally game ever made and worth getting if you own an Xbox. The fact you could use any vehicle on any map just added to the fun (hill climb monsters on rallycross anyone?)

JSRF is an experience unlike anything else, and is one of the best looking games ever made. Tag, grind, jump, disrespect authority, and do it all to an OST of legendary quality.

PGR2 took the fun PGR and made it so much more. Awesome racing, wondering through garages, and Geometry Wars gave a sneak peek to where the series would go on the 360.

Rich!

Hows the component output on the xbox?

I've just found a component cable for it that came with my component to vga box. I heard it doesn't work with PAL systems, but I'm modding it for xbmc so that should be alright, yeah?

Borman

Hows the component output on the xbox?

I've just found a component cable for it that came with my component to vga box. I heard it doesn't work with PAL systems, but I'm modding it for xbmc so that should be alright, yeah?

Yep the lockout is all software, easily gotten around. Component is nice, I capture most things at 480p for my sites.

Rich!

Yep the lockout is all software, easily gotten around. Component is nice, I capture most things at 480p for my sites.

sweet

hoping that the £10 crystal xbox is still at the store im heading to in a bit. Can't remember if it comes with a duke or controller s though. Hoping to hell that it doesn't come with a third party pad.

witness

I have such good memories of this console. I was in college during its heyday. My first memory playing it was 2 months after it was released, it was my first semester in college and I made a friend who had one. He asked if I wanted to play Halo. I ended up playing it for 3 hours straight. I ended up getting one that summer with money I made working at my dorm. I remember my neighbor in my dorm would play Sega GT with me and we would just controller swap turns playing whatever the main mode was. We were obsessed.

I remember Christmas 2002 being insanely hyped for Splinter Cell with how amazing it looked. I played that demo over and over until I got it. It was the console for gamers, that huge black box, and the console, they just so imposing. I carried that heavy ass system in my messenger bag through airport security so many times when I would fly to and from school. The other standout memory for me is the insane build up and hype for Halo 2. I watched those E3 videos so many times and all the Bungie docs. It was the first game I ever lined up for, I remember we had a car full of people came with me even though most weren't gamers. They had about 400 people lined up inside of a mall in a small college town to get it. So many people crowded around a shitty 19" tube TV after we got back to watch me play this game. Thinking back I can't believe how many non gamers (girls) were there.

Xbox was a great pure gaming console and MS should look back at their first console. They will learn a thing or two.

Rich!

Right, so

I got my xbox the other day. Went into CEX and was amazed that they were selling pretty much all of their xbox OG games for 75p each! I got:

- Timesplitters 2
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Timesplitters 3
- Splinter Cell
- Tony Hawk's 3
- Riddick: Butcher Bay
- Project Gotham Racing 2
- Super Monkey Ball Deluxe

I also got a mint condition controller S which looks like it's never been used. Altogether, the console, extra controller and the games above cost me the grand total of £24. I've also installed the unleashx dashboard (I already had a xbox-usb adapter lying around), and fitted a 250gb HDD . Ripped the games above to it, and filled it with simpsons, south park and blackadder.

fucking amazing. Just need the component cable I ordered from ebay to arrive and it'll be complete!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on a quest to get most of the Sega Xbox games. Don't care if they are good or bad. Most of them seem average at best which is still okay by me.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Sonic Heroes
Spikeout: Battle Street
Spartan: Total Warrior
Sonic Riders
Soccer Slam
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Iron Phoenix
Headhunter: Redemption
Gunvalkyrie

Borman

So the long ago leaked XDK doesn't help with pc emulation?

The XDK has some minor things that can help (the symbols and such), but it doesnt document that much. And each XDK version adds different features, which have to also be implemented. They didnt include anything that would be handy with emulation (there is the DVD emulator, but that isn't really an issue and is meant for use with the PCI card + a HDD to emulate the various disk drives).

Phreaker

How well does Phantom Dust play on 360? If at all

I'm playing through single player right now myself on 360 (doing a let's play, ha). It's fine. There is some nasty slowdown when pieces of the environment are being destroyed though. It only lasts for a second or two, but there is no missing it. Hasn't really hampered my gameplay enough to play it on the original Xbox. There is also some odd static/popping at times in the audio. It looks better then it ever has though using 360's BC mode. There's even people still playing it on Xlink Kai (the software that allows system link Xbox games to be played over the Internet).

It is beyond me why there are not more games using a hybrid card/action battle mechanic. It's genius, like Heathstone or MTG in realtime. This game was way ahead of its time.

ih6DdFTTscTOA.png

ibwFmZBD17OvF1.png

I'm playing through single player right now myself on 360 (doing a let's play, ha). It's fine. There is some nasty slowdown when pieces of the environment are being destroyed though. It only lasts for a second or two, but there is no missing it. Hasn't really hampered my gameplay enough to play it on the original Xbox. There is also some odd static/popping at times in the audio. It looks better then it ever has though using 360's BC mode. There's even people still playing it on Xlink Kai (the software that allows system link Xbox games to be played over the Internet).

It is beyond me why there are not more games using a hybrid card/action battle mechanic. It's genius, like Heathstone or MTG in realtime. This game was way ahead of its time.

ih6DdFTTscTOA.png

ibwFmZBD17OvF1.png

Looking forward to finally trying this game out this week. Got my OG and my 360, so OG for me. Looks quite great.

Borman

I just got another Xbox to fix up in the mail, havent even opened the package. Should contain an X3 chipped kit though, which would be nice.

rrs

I'm on a quest to get most of the Sega Xbox games. Don't care if they are good or bad. Most of them seem average at best which is still okay by me.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Sonic Heroes
Spikeout: Battle Street
Spartan: Total Warrior
Sonic Riders
Soccer Slam
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Iron Phoenix
House of the Dead 3
Headhunter: Redemption
Gunvalkyrie

Your list is missing the original OutRun2 (it had the first arcade game in it), Jet Set Radio Future (THE reason to buy a Xbox other than Shenmue 2), and SEGA GT (Quite good Gran Turismo clone with some good gimmicks)

Thread title should have been OG Xbox Appreciation Thread of SMILEBIT.

Or SEGA in general.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Your list is missing the original OutRun2 (it had the first arcade game in it), Jet Set Radio Future (THE reason to buy a Xbox other than Shenmue 2), and SEGA GT (Quite good Gran Turismo clone with some good gimmicks)

Or SEGA in general.

Why would I list things I already have? Of course I should have said that before but you get the idea.

Borman

Fixed up the X3 Xbox. Needed a new flash of a bios (and locking the harddrive to use it when the chip is off, not that it is necessary now). 160gb HDD in it too, and a sticky, but working, Samsung drive. Not bad for 5$ :)

Fixed up the X3 Xbox. Needed a new flash of a bios (and locking the harddrive to use it when the chip is off, not that it is necessary now). 160gb HDD in it too, and a sticky, but working, Samsung drive. Not bad for 5$ :)

i bought a game, splinter cell, the original game, for a buck. it got my og xbox softmodded.
... only a buck!

Borman

So what games would you guys want to play first if we were to try and do on online game night? Would it be easier to have someplace to organize things? Or an easier way of doing so. Hmm.

wanders

ih6DdFTTscTOA.png

ibwFmZBD17OvF1.png

I just got the game but it won't wont work on my Slim since I need hard drive grrr

But I eventually played it on my brothers Xbox and its such an amazing game so far. I really wanna play 4 player multiplayer on it.

So what games would you guys want to play first if we were to try and do on online game night? Would it be easier to have someplace to organize things? Or an easier way of doing so. Hmm.

I hear Phantom Dust had great MP, so that could be cool. Crimson Skies is also a ton of fun.

Those would be my ideas.

Borman

I hear Phantom Dust had great MP, so that could be cool. Crimson Skies is also a ton of fun.

Those would be my ideas.

Works for me, I went and installed both onto the HDD. Should be interesting to see what games support dedicated servers. I know RTCW did for XBL anyway.

Borman

Crimson Skies: No Dedicated
Phantom Dust: No Dedicated
CS: Yes Dedicated
RTCW: Yes Dedicated
Star Wars Battlefront II: Yes Dedicated
Star Wars Republic Commando: yes Dedicated

Rallisport Challenge 2: No Dedicated
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: No dedicated for Coop, didnt play through the Exam to test versus
Conker: No dedicated
Rainbow Six 3: Yes Dedicated
Rainbow Six Lockdown: Yes Dedicated

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: No Dedicated
Halo 2: No Dedicated
MechAssault2: No Dedicated
Project Gotham Racing 2: No Dedicated

Just tested these hah. So I can easily have an Xbox or two running the server, could even use a dev unit for possibly better performance, not that itll make a big difference if at all.

Edit: We need to play Timesplitters: Future Perfect as well!

Gun Valkrie and Halo LAN parties ... some of the most fun I have had with console gaming.

Steel Battalion ... how I miss it. I had to move for school and could only carry what I could fit in a 91' Shadow Beater. Gave it and my Xbox away to a friend.

As much as I loved the Xbox though, it marked the beginning of throwing money at all problems (need studios, buy them, sell hardware at a major loss, money-hatting exclusives left and right) which has upset the industry into an unbalanced satte it has yet to recover from (losing money making video games that is).

EDIT: If anyone is interested in the internal history of how the Xbox came to be check out the book "Opening the Xbox." Fascinating read.

Top Bottom