• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok Microsofts refund policy has turned to shit and I need to call them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Has been fixed.

I got in touch with an agent on the chat service and got it sorted out.

I bought Ghost Recon Future Soldier november 30 november.

I wanted to refund the game under my order list, but couldnt get it to work, so I talked with the virtual assistant, where I tried to refund the game.

I played the game for 37 minutes trying to make it work, but the servers are offline so I cant play it.

I got denied with the following message:

Thanks for contacting Microsoft support for Xbox

I understand you're requesting a refund. Here's what I found out after looking into your request:
It’s been longer than our refund policy allows for digital game products. Thanks for understanding.
For more information check out the Digital Game Purchase Refund Terms.

But when I click the link it says:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/subscriptions-billing/buy-games-apps/refund-orders

efunds are typically issued for requests meeting the following criteria:
  • Requests are made within 14 days of the purchase date
  • Requests are for games in which you haven’t accumulated a significant amount of play time

When I click the link I see following criterias:

I fill both those criterias, but Microsoft doesnt apply their own criterias.

I know I paid 3 bucks for the game, but it's still bad service to have criterias that's a straight up lie, and you cant contact support.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned

I wanted to refund the game under my order list, but couldnt get it to work, so I talked with the virtual assistant, where I tried to refund the game.

I played the game for 37 minutes trying to make it work, but the servers are offline so I cant play it.

I understand you're requesting a refund. Here's what I found out after looking into your request:
It’s been longer than our refund policy allows for digital game products. Thanks for understanding.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/subscriptions-billing/buy-games-apps/refund-orders

• Requests are for games in which you haven’t accumulated a significant amount of play time

I know I paid 3 bucks for the game, but it's still bad service to have criterias that's a straight up lie, and you cant contact support.
I always try to contact Xbox support through chat with fine success. Try that...

The_Mike

Buy a Playstation and move to Europe. They give games away over on that Continent.
I live in Europe, but that is not relevant.

Whats relevant is Microsoft are talking about their refund policy when they literally have none.

Tangerine

Don't talk to a virtual assistant. Find the route to message a real person.

If you have zero or few refunds made recently on your account, chances are you will get the refund. Kick up a stink if a real person tells you no. I reckon they'll do it, especially at $3

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've had multiple refunds work easily. But I've heard two people have issues so it's not a total slam dunk.

They should fix that. It's a great policy. Should just be universal 2 hours or less playtime, 2 weeks ownership refund.

Kilau

Don't talk to a virtual assistant.
E4CG3oOVcAA9JQz

Beechos

Servers offline as in multiplayer? I dont believe this was a live service game back in the day so single player shouldve work. I wouldnt be surprised if multiplayer was down since its an old ass game and the servers are prob shutdown.

graywolf323

I think they treat 360 games differently? I feel like I had something similar happen a while ago

don't quote me on that though, I'm not 100% sure, but yeah send an email like others have suggested

You just triggered your fellow rat Hendrick's Hendrick's

Banned
I live in Europe, but that is not relevant.

Whats relevant is Microsoft are talking about their refund policy when they literally have none.

I never had an issue with it neither did anyone I know.

just recently a friend of mine refunded a game to get the PC version instead and it was no issue

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They refunded me Cyberpunk after I finished playthrough, it can't be that bad.
I promptly rebought it.

Why would you buy a game that has servers offline in the first place? Don't you think it's a good idea to do a bit of a research before purchasing a specific product? It's only 3 dollars dude lol, you won't become more poor or more rich. It's almost nothing.

You wasted 5 or more minutes trying to get a refund on a 3 dollar game because you didn't spend the time to see if the game is still playable. Yeah, you deserve to lose the $3. And then you are blaming the company because of your laziness.

That's funny dude.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

$3 purchase man... you gotta know what your time is worth at some point too lol
All of the people here are wasting time here as well responding to the op. We shouldn't let big companies get away with it just because it's a few bucks... multiply that by XXXXX copies sold and suddenly it can become a nice sum. And if the game's servers are actually offline there should be a mention of that in the store... is there?

Last edited:

sainraja

Why would you buy a game that has servers offline in the first place? Don't you think it's a good idea to do a bit of a research before purchasing a specific product? It's only 3 dollars dude lol, you won't become more poor or more rich. It's almost nothing.

You wasted 5 or more minutes trying to get a refund on a 3 dollar game because you didn't spend the time to see if the game is still playable. Yeah, you deserve to lose the $3. And then you are blaming the company because of your laziness.

That's funny dude.
If their policy states that someone can return a game after playing it (within the 14-day window) then they should just refund it because that is their policy, no matter the actual cost is. However, their policy simply states that they will return a game within the 14-day window — when going through the refund form, there is no option that acknowledges you can play it for X amount of time or you just want a refund.

I was denied a refund with only 27 minutes of playtime and I can see why their automated system denied it, they said play time is significant but others have been able to get a refund after playing longer so they are just not consistent with everyone or it just depends on what you tell them your reason for getting a refund is and they likely have criteria that they use to approve/deny.

It is $3 dollars though, so they should have just refunded it lol.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I don't know what you're talking about as I've refunded Cyberpunk 2077 approximately two weeks ago. It was an automated process, I went to their site, filled whatever was required and 5 minutes later I got an email message that I've got my refund. I played it for circa 30 minutes.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Apparently I couldnt talk to support because I tried through the american one and not through my native site. Should really have changed it for me through the search.

Trying to contact a guy tomorrow through the chat and put up a update in here.

But no matter what, I still think it is a BS answer I got from that guy.

I dont know why, but I cant select the game even though I bought it november 30, and that dudes respond was I have exceeded the time to refund it.

Theres 14 days for refund, and I only played for under 40 minutes so I dont see why a support guy declined me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You paid 3 bucks for it and it would cost them 4 in total card processing fees for the purchase and refund. 😂

That or they won’t refund a game on sale.

Idk I’ve never had an issue with a refund. I’ve never had to talk to anyone. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

sainraja

I don't know what you're talking about as I've refunded Cyberpunk 2077 approximately two weeks ago. It was an automated process, I went to their site, filled whatever was required and 5 minutes later I got an email message that I've got my refund. I played it for circa 30 minutes.
There is no guarantee so you could have been denied, even if lucky in that instance. If you have been able to do it multiple times, like a few others, what are you telling them about the game? I went through the same automated process and was denied. Out of curiosity, what did you select for 'Reason for Request' and 'What happened?'. There is no option for a simple 'I want a refund'.

ly7AMDQ.png

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned

I honestly don't remember. Is there any way to see what I chose? I'd do it so you can benefit too.

Last edited:

sainraja

I honestly don't remember. Is there any way to see what I chose? I'd do it so you can benefit too.
I just went back to the refund status page and there does not seem to be a way for me to check what I had selected so looks like not.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Same exact thing happened to me with 80's Overdrive. Purchased it yesterday for $3. Game is not playing well and went for refund. Got denied instantly and the response was that cause I had played the game, they cannot offer a refund! This never happened before...

sainraja

Same exact thing happened to me with 80's Overdrive. Purchased it yesterday for $3. Game is not playing well and went for refund. Got denied instantly and the response was that cause I had played the game, they cannot offer a refund! This never happened before...
Hmm, so don't ask for a refund during the holiday times is what this is telling me lol.

You asked for a refund, actually spent time and effort on a chat link... for a $3 purchase???
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max
yeah, i'd say that we're in serious 'but it's the principle of the thing!' territory here, op. & a bit short of 'policy has turned to shit' territory, as well...

Warablo

If you talk to someone in the chat, I am sure you can get them to refund you. Especially if you bring up the playtime thing.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, never go through virtual assistants. They're never helpful and they're annoying AF in most cases, lol. A company the size of Microsoft isn't going to list details like that and just not deliver, they'd put a target on their head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom