• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, what do I do with my life/iPod situation... I hate Apple and my undecisiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

as you know I had ordered an Ipod mini...

well, my fickle self saw the original iPod photo (that included all the accessories the new ones don't after the price cut) for $450, the same price as the new ones, except it's got all the stuff...

I'm like, hmm, $250 more for a bunch more space and accessories so I don't have to lug around a computer to charge...

apparently, the recent price cuts consist quite a bit of a reduction of inclusions, so if I wanted the stuff that came with the original $250 iPod mini, I would have had to get $50 worth of accessories...

I was leaning ULTRA heavily on the 60gb photo version. Even though I wouldn't get the student discount, I figured it wasn't such a raw deal with the accessories and stuff, plus I'd be able to fit a high number of language lessons, pretty much everything I can get off torrents... also, the little extra blessing from buy.com would be having no tax, which pretty much cancels out discount + tax from the Apple store...

anyway, Apple never delivered my mini cause they had shipping problems to a dorm (and wouldn't ship to PO Box), and I ordered the $450 photo from buy.com and had it delivered where I was home for Spring Break.

Apple is going to refund the mini's $193 (after discount + tax)... One thing though IS THAT I FEEL BAD CAUSE I PERSONALIZED IT. I hope they don't lose too much money reassembling and throwing out the casing :(

anyway, so like do I return this iPod photo, which is still sealed ($450, but came w/ dock, AV cables, Fireware cable + case, stuff not included in the new one)?

also, what do I do about using it...

I mean, I have this "don't have people think you're right or have good stuff" complex, probably because I grew up in a not-to-well-to-do neighborhood and my friends were not, um, well off, and basically my parents were teachers, so when you compare ok living, to more poor, "less fortunate" I guess I grew up not wanting to feel different, or for them to think I'm rich...

like I seriously never wanted them to find out I had a computer, and I love it when they had stuff I didn't cause I wouldn't feel so "more fortunate"...

either way, I think I'm going to HATE telling people how much it cost... should I lie about it? I'm thinking I could in my own weird mind rationalize a way to give them a lower cost number if I subtract what I would have paid for those accessories (I think $20 cable, $40 dock + AV I think, $10-$15 case, maybe a tad more I'm not sure if the AV cable came with the dock)... either way, I could knock down $80 and say it cost me a little over $350, should I do that...

what do I do?

I know there is probably a video iPod coming up, and actually if I return it I could easily afford all the seasons completely of Hercules and Xena I saw them being sold all packaged now, but hey, I still have almost $300 coming in from the iPod mini return plus an EBgames order EB screwed up and I'm getting a refund instead...

decisions... decisions...

that said, I'm really excited I downloaded some Latin Language help files using stream converter, then used another program to get them from Real Media to MP3, and I can't wait top go around listening to that 24-7 and kicking ass in class from now on (currently I do about B-level on quizzes/tests)...

I think I'm going to keep it, but I think I have trouble people seeing it cause it's so iconic... If I had a shuffle, I would have NO PROBLEM using the white headphones, cause I'd be like "yeah, I got a shuffle, it rocks, I love apple, the design, blah, blah, blah", but as it is, I'm planning to use some crap headphones so nobody asks what I'm listening to and how...

:( :/ :|

Alcibiades

aim_kiss.png

3rdman

gmini400.jpg

Recently picked up this bad boy...great sound that surpasses the iPod, video (loaded at the moment with Family Guy and The Incredibles.), photo, CF card reader, plays mophun games, and requires NO software. It simply shows up as an external drive. Only 20 gig, but with driver technology always getting smaller, an upgrade is possible.

If you want an iPod, wait another 6 months...theres always a better model. When it arrives, wait another 6 months for the better model. :p

AntoneM

1. keep the ipod photo and don't worry about Apple.
2. Stop feeling guilty for being succesful or for having parents who are succesful.

Alcibiades

It's not really an iPod issure per se, it's a how do I deal with having one...

I really like Apple, have since like Middle School, so I definitely want to support them, and I really liked it when I handled my friend's iPod, plus I think the deal I got with the old package w/ new price (including stuff the new $450 one takes off) isn't too bad, and the storage is great, I just have conflicting feelings about something so expensive...

COCKLES

being watched
3rdman said:
gmini400.jpg

Recently picked up this bad boy...great sound that surpasses the iPod, video (loaded at the moment with Family Guy and The Incredibles.), photo, CF card reader, plays mophun games, and requires NO software. It simply shows up as an external drive. Only 20 gig, but with driver technology always getting smaller, an upgrade is possible.

If you want an iPod, wait another 6 months...theres always a better model. When it arrives, wait another 6 months for the better model. :p

Spread the Archos love brother 3rdman.

:D

COCKLES said:
Spread the Archos love brother 3rdman.

:D

Dude, Archos would totally rule the portable world if they got better industrial designers and software writers. That thing is so damn cool (played around for almost half an hour at Frys, thanks to my having my CF card full of media on me) yet so damn ugly!

They are a great bargain though, and function pretty damn well (too bad for the Windows 3.1-eque interface).

goodcow

Alcibiades said:
I was leaning ULTRA heavily on the 60gb photo version. Even though I wouldn't get the student discount, I figured it wasn't such a raw deal with the accessories and stuff, plus I'd be able to fit a high number of language lessons, pretty much everything I can get off torrents... also, the little extra blessing from buy.com would be having no tax, which pretty much cancels out discount + tax from the Apple store...

anyway, Apple never delivered my mini cause they had shipping problems to a dorm (and wouldn't ship to PO Box), and I ordered the $450 photo from buy.com and had it delivered where I was home for Spring Break.

Um...

Buy.com $449.99
Amazon.com $455.05, but $447.91 after a9 discount, and $434.47 with Amazon.com VISA, plus a fuzzy feeling of helping GAF

Alcibiades

I didn't realize amazon.com had that same price until just now when you mentioned that, though I wouldn't have gotten those deals but still to help GAF for the same price I would've but oh well...

also, I think I have a new plan to sort of justify it (not including how this will go down w/my family who will wonder why I'm not paying off college loans instead)...

It's kinda true anyway, I have a bunch of PS2/XBX/GCN/GBA games I've gotten over the years through those cheap-ass deals Wario and others link to, and I'm actually making a profit when I sell over 90% of them (especially the ebgames.com $5 deals and a few Toys 'R US 90% off crap), so I'll just tell them I sold off a bunch of games (over 20-30)... I'm only now getting rid of quite a few of them I've decided I didn't want, also I finally and have to try ot get rid of as many while I still have a post office a 30 sec. walk from my dorm (when I go back home I'll actually have to go miles I think)...

I just won't tell them they were mine, even though I guess they were, I just didn't have the intention to keep most, maybe just some of the GCN/GBA ones, but at this point who want Capcom vs. SNK or Black and Bruised just for the sake of upping their 3rd party collection (most of the games are still sealed, maybe 1 or 2 open)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
your parents probably wont' notice, and if they do, just say its a walkman (which it is) - they'll have no idea how much its really worth.

You made the right call with the photo 40 - you get everything you need for home use (hook up to a stereo), charging on your computer and charging when you are out of the house. So you can persuade yourself you saved money :)

as for the Archos, I agree with shog. They need some better designers, and a better screen on that thing, and I'd be interested.

Alcibiades

I think my dad will notice, I mean I'm sure he's heard of those things, and when they see it they'll definitely ask how much it costs, though you are right they probably won't go around checking or noticing which version I have...

actually I got the 60gb version ($450, but like I said it has the AC adaptor and all the accessories)...

also, I think I have a new plan to sort of justify it (not including how this will go down w/my family who will wonder why I'm not paying off college loans instead)...

It's kinda true anyway, I have a bunch of PS2/XBX/GCN/GBA games I've gotten over the years through those cheap-ass deals Wario and others link to, and I'm actually making a profit when I sell over 90% of them (especially the ebgames.com $5 deals and a few Toys 'R US 90% off crap), so I'll just tell them "I sold off a bunch of games, over 20-30 to save up for it, even if I'm saving up retroactively"...

I just won't tell them they were mine, even though I guess technically the games were in my hands, I just didn't have the intention to keep most, maybe just some of the GCN/GBA ones, but at this point who want Capcom vs. SNK or Black and Bruised just for the sake of upping their 3rd party collection (most of the games are still sealed, maybe 1 or 2 open). Time to sell off my backlog of mediocre-to-good games, and keep stuff I repect, like, or is a masterpiece.

Kingpen

I impulse bought an Ipod photo 30 gb and recently had to take it back to the store. The reason being was that my government job won't allow it because they think I will store documents and photos from work on it and take them home.... Bummer cause I really wanted one, but can't justify having one to use solely at home since I work 40 hours a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom