• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGMOKU

I like the Wii boxart becuase it rids itself of that horrid Clover logo. Nice and clean now, with just the Capcom logo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TheWolf said:
looks like IGN will have coverage tomorrow.

Yup, Matt confirmed it on the IGN boards. Looks like they'll touch on it during the podcast as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Snaku said:
There's no actual proof. Dunno why it would be.

Oh, sorry, misinterpreted your original post. But hey, with the wii-remote you can play any which way you like, right? maybe even with your feet?!!!

Innotech

Banned
Snaku said:
Same here, but instead of moaning over it...I've adapted. It's a righty's world, and I'll be damned if I can't play me some TP or Okami.
Ive adapted just find. Was just mentioning it thats all. I played Zelda TP like everyone else with no difficulty.

morningbus

Some clarifications from Christian Svensson, Vice-President of Strategic Planning & Business Development:

I predict you'll see on Friday somewhere, some more real stuff... IMO you're not wrong and some of that [ed: better/more vibrant color in the wii release] is a function of the Wii image quality versus the PS2 image quality of the hardware.

Also... don't judge anything by the screens on the store. I just saw those screens today and I was sort of shocked they weren't showing a couple "key" things. I just pinged our store manager about them (I'm in Japan atm of course so he's not awake .

And yes, I believe that is the nearly final (but not quite final) box art. Or at least, I hadn't heard it was completely final. It might be.

What else could the screenshots be missing besides showing off the 16:9?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
AceBandage said:
Why would they need to mirror Okami?
The attacks are from the middle....
People fall for the oddest jokes...
I guess it's because Amaterasu is just like Link.

She's a...
SOUTH PAW

b9is6c.png

morningbus

AceBandage said:
Why would they need to mirror Okami?
The attacks are from the middle....
People fall for the oddest jokes...

I fell for nothing sir! I thought someone else had fallen for it.

Either way, I'm exclusively playing this game while looking into a mirror.

StevieP

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
the wii version doesn't have that paper look with it.
no parchment paper filter no buy

This is why the world loves GAF.

why would they do that

I dunno, cause it's a low budget port and Ready At Dawn has no Wii experience? (i.e. they don't have the budget and time to learn how to program that filter and extra bloom into the graphics chip?). On the bright side, it's literally brighter and more vibrant, and almost 16x9.

Jesus why the heck even bother

oh right incremental waggle waggle changes

Because this good game sold like shit on the PS2, and they want to give it another chance?

Amir0x

Banned
We suspect this is a filter that Ready at Dawn was unable to accurately translate to Wii. In a side-by-side visual comparison with the PS2 incarnation, we also noticed that the original title sports more subtle bloom work. However, to its credit, the Wii update to the game runs in progressive-scan (480p) and a quasi-16:9 widescreen mode -- we call it "quasi" because it's not full resolution; thin black bars remain on each side of the screen.

Jesus why the heck even bother

oh right incremental waggle waggle changes

You simply waggle the Wii remote left and right and Amaterasu will dart forward and attack enemies. You can chain together combos very effectively by motioning left and right with Nintendo's controller and you can even combo in mid-air by leaping up and then gesturing with the Wii remote.

haha they changed the battle to full waggle. just abandon ship

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
No I love Okami, I actually purchased it when it came out. In now undeniably superior fashion.
So did I, except our version had worse graphics and controls.

I'll get right on that side-by-side in a sec.

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:
No I love Okami, I actually purchased it when it came out. In now undeniably superior fashion.

You just like stirring shit with undeniably erroneous comments like these. I will watch and laugh as people fall for it.

_leech_ said:
Does anyone have a side-by-side with the PS version? I don't remember what that filter looked like.
it looks like everything's drawn on paper.

okami's dodge moves are mapped to the nunchuck, so that's like you'll never be able to dodge the entire game!

Firestorm

Ok. Just found out about 16:9, good news.
Why does IGN have such shitty image compression.
What is this parchment effect and at what point during the first two hours of the game (all I played) was it used?

Amir0x

Banned
Hey, there's nothing to fall for.

Okami loses much of its visual punch and total camera control for QUASI 16x9, 480p and full blown waggle waggle battle. Which even IGN admits is more difficult to handle for combos and the like than the PS2's already expertly crafted controls. And they have yet more issues with the controls as well, mentioning those mapped to the nunchuck.

About the only thing that is superior in their estimation is the brush strokes are quicker - and that was already blazingly quick on the PS2 version. It's genuinely hilarious! It's probably something that flies over your head though StevieP, red marks ever apparent on your knees.

Firestorm said:
What is this parchment effect and at what point during the first two hours of the game (all I played) was it used?

Every...moment?

Yikes, I'm still getting this but some of those changes sound unfortunate.

And many, too many in fact, Wii games use that fake 16:9 with thin black bars that happen to look like absolute shit on my DLP. Widescreen Gamecube games do the same thing which still makes me wonder if some Wii games are developed in a GC environment and then "ported" to Wii.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think I prefer the richer colors over the parchment effect.

Amir0x

Banned
jetpacks was yes said:
Why would they take away the paper overlay? It's a cinch to implement.

how would you know if it's a cinch? Genuine question - do you have programming experience?

IGN speculates that they couldn't properly emulate the effect (at least in this time period) on the Wii... but that's IGN. Flark should comment.

Linkhero1

Good thing they're releasing it on the Wii. I haven't actually followed it on the PS2 and never actually played it, but now I'm really interested in it.

Crushed why are you posting screens of different situations and comparing them? Wii screen is taken at day, PS2 screen is taken at night.

Amir0x said:
how would you know if it's a cinch? Genuine question - do you have programming experience?

IGN speculates that they couldn't properly emulate the effect (at least in this time period) on the Wii... but that's IGN. Flark should comment.

I'm working on a game, not as programmer though. We've used similar overlays. What Okami did was literally just stick a transluscent texture to the screen. If they took it away it was probably because they prefered how it looked without the overlay. Or because they just haven't gotten around to it?

I'm just wondering why it's not there is all. I'm glad that Okami is going to be getting a second chance.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Ynos Yrros said:
Crushed why are you posting screens of different situations and comparing them? Wii screen is taken at day, PS2 screen is taken at night.
Those are the closest I could possibly find. They are valid comparisons.

Zeed

Banned
Aw shit that paper thing might be a dealbreaker for me.

As someone who was only ever interested in the artwork, that filter was a really subtle and nice touch. The Wii version just doesn't...look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom