• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami : Wii or PS2?

Innotech

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
I have to disagree.
"Buy it for the wii to support the game" can also be translated to "buy for wii and support half assed shoveled ports"

Most reviews seem to lean to the PS2 version also.
If you can get the PS2 version (or already have it) stay with it, love it and molest it daily.
If you can not find the PS2 version or do not have a PS2 get the wii version.
The most important thing is no matter which you get you MUST get Okami.
It is one of those games that five years from now people on message boards will still be talking about fondly and pulling out to play.
havent you figured out yet that it doesnt matter whether half assed ports sell or not, thats what the wii gets? It doesnt matter if we buy high quality games, low quality games, support the companies or not, we will get whatever they have planned at this point. no amount of support seems to be changing publishers minds.

Ironballs

I'm less interested in supporting the Wii than I am supporting good games. And Okami is undoubtedly a game that deserves at least one good run.

I'm not going to bother with the "support 3rd parties on Wii" stuff either. But if people are seriously interested in seeing more ambitious products of such high quality in any capacity (not just Wii), this game needs to be bought.

In fairness, it's too bad Ready at Dawn didn't include GCN/CC options, as well.

Gwanatu T

Thanks all, you've convinced me to just finish the PS2 version. Somehow I haven't completed this incredible game, what I would consider the best game of the year that it came out in (2006?). 40 hours in and still not even close, it's quite an incredible, huge, amazing game.

Picked up the Wii version today.

okami.jpg

okami2.jpg

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. They sort of ruined the cover though by putting a freaking REVIEW SCORE on it. Should have put it on the back, Capcom. =\ At least they colored the manual this time.

I'll probably give my impressions on the new controls when I get a chance to play it after class.

Mirimar

Heh, it's sad that the official thread was buried 3 pages deeper than this thread. Seems nobody really cared for the re-release, eh?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mirimar said:
Heh, it's sad that the official thread was buried 3 pages deeper than this thread. Seems nobody really cared for the re-release, eh?
I would but I have read too many bad things about this port. I have the PS2 version too. Hope this sells well.

witness

baka kitsune said:
Picked up the Wii version today.

okami.jpg

okami2.jpg

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. They sort of ruined the cover though by putting a freaking REVIEW SCORE on it. Should have put it on the back, Capcom. =\ At least they colored the manual this time.

I'll probably give my impressions on the new controls when I get a chance to play it after class.

Interesting, the copy I picked up today has a "Grade: A"-1up/EGM red score sticker on it.

ScythD

^^
Sad, but true ;)
Since the new staff took over, NP has been a lot harsher with their reviews. I guess thats a good thing though, less sugar-coated.

EDarkness

LiquidMetal14 said:
I would but I have read too many bad things about this port. I have the PS2 version too. Hope this sells well.

Bad things? I haven't read much bad stuff from people who have actually played it.

I'll bump up the official thread just to get something going there. Heh, heh.

Does make me wonder if Capcom listened to "the fans" and got burned like Sega did with NiGHTS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EDarkness said:
Bad things? I haven't read much bad stuff from people who have actually played it.

I'll bump up the official thread just to get something going there. Heh, heh.

Does make me wonder if Capcom listened to "the fans" and got burned like Sega did with NiGHTS.
No it's not that bad a burn. This game holds up well. The controls kill it a little. You won't feel bad for buying the Wii version though. It's just no worth my monies considering I have the PS2 version. If it had a little more that made it worthwhile then I would have pre-ordered it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright, I've put about an hour into it, and so far I'm torn. The presentation is as amazing as ever, but the graphics look pretty damn rough to my eyes. I wasn't brilliantly impressed with the execution on the PS2, but I haven't played that version since it came out, so maybe I just remembered it being prettier than it really is. I'm running the game via component, on the same 480i 4:3 SDTV as I did when I was playing it on the PS2 (also via component). I've seen the comparisons between the PS2 and Wii versions, and the blur filter is definitely in and visible. The effect looks intact. Framerate seems to hitch more than before, and even slowdown occasionally! I could be wrong on that last part. I need to play more.

I'm guessing that Ready at Dawn figured that at least a few of us would be double-dippers, and so they mercifully allow us to skip each and every cutscene, individually. But it seems like we still can't speed up the text, and it's still as frustratingly slow as ever. It doesn't help that the gobbledeegook speech effects are as bad as before. At least for the opening narration.

As to the controls... I have a problem. I'm one of the rare fools that preferred the controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess over the GCN game (and I bought both!) A large part of what made that work was the surprisingly excellent automated camera and the much, much improved archery. It was enough of an improvement that for the first time in a 3D Zelda game, I had felt that the bow and arrow was a viable weapon, and not just a puzzle-solving tool. I felt that the waggle was inoffensive enough to not offset the archery gains.

That said, maybe I just don't recall how the weapons work in Okami, but I can't seem to pull off any combos with the default weapon. I waggle, and maybe I get one hit, but maybe I don't. And I can't chain at all. This was NEVER an issue at any point in the 80+ hours I put into TP. I know different weapons for Amaterasu later on allow different chaining opportunities. But didn't even the first one allow at least a basic 3-hit combo? What the hell? If it's not the weapon, then it must be the controls.

TP's archery is this game's painting. So the painting feels WAY better now than it did on the PS2. But one thing I'm not digging is the camera. It doesn't feel like they changed the camera at all, and the Wii-mote's top-size dpad is merely a servicable replacement for a second (camera) analog stick. It's not particularly comfortable... and it's digital. I would NOT want to play the GCN version of TP without a second analog stick... and the same is true here. The Wii version of TP had an adjusted camera that worked really well most of the time. Something of that sort should have been attempted here.

I put 30 hours into the original Okami before getting bored of the adventure and turned off by all of the game's little problems, which kept on mounting the longer I played. I'm shutting the game off for now, and I'll return to it tomorrow, but if I'm already this annoyed with the Wii version, I'll have to give this one a pass, put it back on the shelf, and give the nod to the PS2 game as the "definitive" version. Which is a shame, because I was hoping to finally be inspired enough to finish this game. We'll see.

Edit - The 9.5 stamp on the box is fucking lame. And to make it lamer, it was actually covered up by a same-sized sticker on the wrapping seal. I was happy to see that sticker go when I unsealed the game, but once that stamp on the box was unveiled, I could only stare, aghast.

Edit 2 - My recollection may be flawed, but I'm pretty damn sure that the load times are significantly diminished, especially when saving the game!

Truelize said:
I've read a couple of different opinions on the controls too. 1up said that the controls weren't as good with the Wiimote. But IGN only makes a negative remark about a dodge move.

If I start the PS2 version I'll just keep playing that one. But if the Wii version looks better on my HDtv then I would have to put that into consideration.

Oooh: no 480p in the PS2 version???

480p and widescreen increases the image quality on a HDTV very considerably, I reckon you'd notice that a lot more than a subdued paper filter and lack of bloom.

Mejilan

akachan ningen said:
Why fumble around with imprecise wii controls when you can get the ps2 version for cheaper?

If you're talking to me, I already have the PS2 game, and dropped it like a bad habit after ramping up 30 hours on the clock!

Mirimar

Mejilan said:
If I can find it. *snicker*

It's buried at like page 9 or 11..forget which one.

Also, about your combo problems, apparently there's a learning curve here. They're all timing based. No idea why they went with that.

Mejilan

Mirimar said:

Also, about your combo problems, apparently there's a learning curve here. They're all timing based. No idea why they went with that.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. All I know is that button mashing worked fine in the PS2 game, and the Wii equivalent of idle-waggling was doing shit. I'd get maybe one hit, and then Ammy would just continue by running (rubbing) against the enemy I was trying to shmoosh. Not fun.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
I'll give it another shot tomorrow. All I know is that button mashing worked fine in the PS2 game, and the Wii equivalent of idle-waggling was doing shit. I'd get maybe one hit, and then Ammy would just continue by running (rubbing) against the enemy I was trying to shmoosh. Not fun.

Wait until you have to fight some of the quicker bosses.

EDarkness

Mirimar said:

My guess is to stop button mashing (or waggling). This can cause a problem since our natural tendency is to mash buttons or waggle like crazy.

Phthisis

Jswanko said:
So for someone who owns a ps2 and a wii but never played it the first time, whats the verdict?

Personally, I would go with the PS2 version. They're almost identical except despite the 16x9 and progressive scan on the Wii version, but the PS2 version just plays tighter, IMO.

Mejilan

I do love the cover art though, and the light purple disc is pretty nice.

So far, I'm leaning towards the PS2 version over the Wii one, from a purely gameplay standpoint. But I'm going go give the Wii game another shot tomorrow.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ugh sorry for the necrobump, but I have a question about the ps2 version - is it just me or does it kinda have slowdowns? I'm still only at the tutorial stage but once every now and then it slows down a bit without anything particular happening on screen.

Corky

PS3 HD Version.

If you can Corky, play one of the HD re-releases.

Can't :( sold off my ps3 and don't own it for the wii. Hell can't even find it for the wii...

∀ Narayan;49429023 said:
Holy Hell. This thread was made in 2008. Time flies.

How does it feel to suddenly be 5 year older :'(?

Anyways, was just a random thought - haven't touched the ps2 in aaages and had kinda suppressed how games performed back in the day - maybe the slowdowns were always there.

I'd say the Wii version is better overall. The motion controls do take some getting used to and they aren't perfect but do bring a lot to the game. The 16:9 support is nice even if it doesn't quite look as nice as the PS2 original overall. The fighting mechanics on the Wii version have been described by a lot of people as a waggle-fest but they're not, you have to have good rhythmic timing and once you wrap your head around this it's great fun.

-KRS-

The bigger issue with the Wii controls I thought was the fact that it doesn't take into account that you're twisting the remote. So even if you hold the remote upside down and swipe upwards, it will draw downwards instead. This confused me a little in the beginning, but I quickly learned that just holding the controller straight made it MUCH better. Sometimes it could also be hard to draw some shapes because it seemed that the Wii Remote didn't pick up the sensor bar properly even though it should, but that wasn't very a common problem.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Wii version is Widescreen yes, but it's not true widescreen. It's anamorphic widescreen or whatever it's called if I remember correctly. And the canvas filter has been subdued as mentioned, but I actually prefer that.

Oh and yeah, you can't just waggle to win. There has to be some kind of rhythm to it. It takes some getting used to, but after a few hours I felt totally in control of fighting with the Wii Remote. Dodging is a little... dodgy, as mentioned. But it's usually not a huge problem. You usually dodge out of harms way anyway.

Control wise, I'd say the PS2 version would work better due to a camera that is much easier to rotate. Also, brush stroke are very easy to do anyways.

But then, 480p, widescreen, a more subtle canvas filter...I might go with the Wii version. Not sure if it's worth trading in the PS2 version and paying like $30 more though.

The wii version is more expensive than the PS2 version?

Corky

The wii version is more expensive than the PS2 version?

I'm not sure you're aware... but he wrote that 5 years ago.

Anyways thanks for the answers. I can live with the interlaced ps2 image for now in lieu of better options. Just wanted some insight in how the game run/ran.

Frodo

I played it on the Wii, and the controls are good enough, to be honest. Haven't played it on PS2, so can not comment on the controls. But I always thought the paper filter makes such a big difference... PS2's version looks way better than Wii's, in my humble opinion. But it is up to you, OP. Se what aspects you think are nor important and look for those on the version you want to play. The differences between then have been explained in this thread, so...

Edit: Wow! That is a major bump! Didn't check the date of op. Good lord! =P

amardilo

I do have a PS3 but the thing that bothers me the most about it is that it is NOT backwards compatible with my PS2 games. Thanks for bringing that up. :p

If you are OK with buying a new copy of the game have you thought about getting Okami HD on the PS3 via PSN?

-KRS-

I'm not sure you're aware... but he wrote that 5 years ago.

Anyways thanks for the answers. I can live with the interlaced ps2 image for now in lieu of better options. Just wanted some insight in how the game run/ran.

Oh shit, no I was not aware. :D

Top Bottom