• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oldies stations are playing 80s music now

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why there are 60s, 70s, and other time genre catch all stations. Oldies isn't specific. 60s is. If you just want 60s music listen to a 60s radio station. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Machine

What disappoints me is that the stations playing 80s music tend to play the crappy stuff from that era. They need more Cure, Smiths, and New Order and less Cyndi Lauper and Bon Jovi.

Biske

It's these kind of things that really force you to take a look at your sense of time and how old you are.

I find its easy to just coast along and know in the back of your head that you were born 30 or 30+ years ago, but you don't really connect it to anything so you can feel like, oh I was playing Zelda on SNES not so long ago and that music I liked isn't that old, just a few years ago really.

But then after seeing stuff like this, you realize "ooooooooooh stuff I like is 20 to 30 years old, and I am also getting to hate age"

I can only imagine what a ton of bricks it is when you are like "boy when I was a teen.... 60 years ago!"

.JayZii

Banned
What do you think older generations said when this happened to them lol.

Same thing happened.

Also see Nick At Night. From I Love Lucy to Welcome Back Kotter.
I have bad news for you. Nick at Night shows Friends and The George Lopez Show these days. The oldest shows they play are Full House and Fresh Prince.

Rend your garments in despair.

The "classic rock" station in Vancouver has been playing everything from the 60s to the 90s for a while now. It's mostly an excuse to play Nickleback (fun fact, they formed in 95).

Oh and by "everything" I mean the same fucking singles you've heard 5 billion times by now. Because Led Zeppelin never did anything other than Stairway to Heaven didn'tyaknow.

norm9

K Earth 101 in LA has been playing 80's for years
It's an oldies station that used to play 50's

This was the station I was talking about. The big change happened when they started playing The Eagles and then the Police and now they're totally don't play stuff like Chubby Checker etc.

stuminus3

Banned
I heard Enter Sandman on the "classic rock" station and I damn near cried.
Enter Sandman has been on classic rock stations for years.

Classic rock Q107 here in Toronto started playing Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve last year. From 1997. It's barely even rock.

NFrntr.jpg

This image is perfect, the Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd posters behind Grandpa Simpson only added to the message. They are bands that Homer listened too when he was a teenager that became classic rock when this episode was put into production back in the '90's.

stuminus3

Banned
This image is perfect, the Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd posters behind Grandpa Simpson only added to the message. They are bands that Homer listened too when he was a teenager that became classic rock when this episode was put into production back in the '90's.
Homer was in a grunge band in this teenage years.

In an episode that aired in 2008.

Hale-XF11

I can live with that. I just wish classic rock stations would stop playing 90% '80s hair metal and start playing more '90s alt/grunge rock. Most stations completely ignore anything released after 1989.

Homer was in a grunge band in this teenage years.

In an episode that aired in 2008.

Well yeah, that's because the Simpson's don't age. Their back stories constantly change to reflect the current time period that they live in. The episode "Homerpalooza" is where that image came, and it was produced in 1996 when Grunge was still a mainstream thing (though this is also when Grunge started to die). The episode itself was about Homer coming to grips with the 'modern' music of the '90s such as grunge and alternative and how he is now out of touch with pop culture. Homer is in his 30's and would have been a teenager in the 1970's for that particular episode.

In the current episodes they depict Homer as being a teenager in the '90s now.

It is pretty funny that Homer was like this n 1996:

eiEZXeb.png

But in 2008, his flashbacks to the '90s are like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Scary fun fact: When The Simpson's first aired in 1989, I was about the same age as Bart Simpson and would have been born roughly around the same time frame. Now my date of birth is getting closer to Homer Simpson's.

Cranster

Banned
Oldies stations have been playing 80's music sine the 90's. Growing up in the 90's Q107 was playing Def Leppard, U2, Guns N Roses and other 80's rock music throughout the 90's.

styl3s

Oldies stations have been playing 80's music sine the 90's. Growing up in the 90's Q107 was playing Def Leppard, U2, Guns N Roses and other 80's rock music throughout the 90's.
Yeah the oldies station here has been playing 80s since the 90s. I can't remember when they started playing 90s but i hear Nirvana and Pearl Jam all the time of the time on the oldies now.

For years, I had never heard of Grand Funk Railroad outside of the time Homer talked about it.

rec0ded1

At first I was kind of bummed about this but also realized all the historic shit we've lived and are living through. We have a pretty dope soundtrack.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Switched it over to an oldies station because I was sick of listening about Trump on NPR and they were playing "Girls just wanna have fun"

This is what getting old feels like.

Lol, here in New York, they've been doing this since the 2000s.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
As long as cars exist radio will too.
I think we will mostly be using our phone for music then in the far future.

I'm sure there is a spotify playlist of music from the 00's-10's that you can listen to right now. What a dream come true
I got Apple Music and it just isn't the same.
Radio will be even more prominent as the world transitions to driverless vehicles.
Hmm i don't know

brian577

Banned
The problem I see with the transition from Pop to Oldies and Rock to Classic rock is that nobody is filling the void. With the rise of the digital age and the state of music being entirely throwaway trash, we are going to need a miracle to see some truly strong movements in music because all our heroes are dead or dying or still out there doing their thing.

297.png

Switched it over to an oldies station because I was sick of listening about Trump on NPR and they were playing "Girls just wanna have fun"

This is what getting old feels like.

You must be listening to K-EARTH 101 like Ryutaro said

They play 80's on that station now. I feel old

This has been a thing for at least 5 years. KEARTH 101 in the LA area has been nothing but oldies from the 50/60s until 5 years ago. Its 90% 80s New Wave now. KEARTH is maybe the quintessential oldies station as far as LA culture has ever been considered. Also, they played Ace of Base this week.. so they're already bridging into 90s music as "oldies" now.

Welcome to being old. Start setting goals, next thing you know you'll be 50. *blink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom