• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On April 5th, the Playstation 2 finally drops to $99

Flakster99

Utterly fucking pointless, but good for the non-BC PS3 owners, or those stuck in the fucking past unable, or simply do not have the fucking needs to get with the program. It's all good, baby, it's alllll good.

Hero

How much is this really going to help Sony? They've gotten all they needed to from the system. Concentrate on selling PS3 and PSP, jeez.

snake1.jpg

Somnid

I didn't have a PS2. I had a GCN, Xbox, PC and GBA, I had all the games I could afford with my budget already. That and my friend had one so we swapped consoles sometimes but I never got to play everything I wanted because he didn't have it. Unfortunately, it took so long to drop, even here I'm rather unwilling to buy it. Maybe $50 if it ever gets there but probably used. It kinda sucks because I was interested in BC on PS3 because I didn't have a PS2 and would have put money toward that because it would be a value to me but that's not really an option anymore.

AniHawk

Somnid said:
I didn't have a PS2. I had a GCN, Xbox, PC and GBA, I had all the games I could afford with my budget already. That and my friend had one so we swapped consoles sometimes but I never got to play everything I wanted because he didn't have it. Unfortunately, it took so long to drop, even here I'm rather unwilling to buy it. Maybe $50 if it ever gets there but probably used. It kinda sucks because I was interested in BC on PS3 because I didn't have a PS2 and would have put money toward that because it would be a value to me but that's not really an option anymore.

What kind of games are you into? There are probably tons that are worth spending $150 to play (system + memory card + tax)

szaromir

Banned
Somnid said:
Buy a used one. PS2's library is overrated, but there still might be a few gems you'll enjoy.

AniHawk

szaromir said:
Buy a used one. PS2's library is overrated, but there still might be a few gems you'll enjoy.

What? The PS2 was pretty great man. The one genre it really lacked was FPS.

szaromir

Banned
AniHawk said:

What? The PS2 was pretty great man. The one genre it really lacked was FPS.
I don't know about that. I vastly prefer werstern games to Japanese games and Xbox/PC had much better support from the great western studios.

Or perhaps I simply didn't have a chance to play PS2 games that I'd potentially enjoy.

Somnid

AniHawk said:
What kind of games are you into? There are probably tons that are worth spending $150 to play (system + memory card + tax)

I just don't have a lot of money and I'd rather spend my money on new games. Right now I'm pretty much DS and digital downloads. I'd love to own more it's just not in my budget.

AniHawk

Somnid said:
I just don't have a lot of money and I'd rather spend my money on new games. Right now I'm pretty much DS and digital downloads. I'd love to own more it's just not in my budget.

Well that's all right, I guess. I haven't really paid attention to the DS in ages, myself. Now I feel like I'm behind with Henry Hatsworth and Soul Bubbles now flying under the radar.

szaromir

Banned
Didn't you write something about great platformers (or was it my imagination)? Any worth recommending? I played Jak 1 which I loved (Jak 2 turned out to be a terrible non-platformer :/), and R&C are shooters for me (and I don't like them). I know that Sly games are supposed to be fun, but any others? I'll try to get my hands on them.

Balb

szaromir said:
Didn't you write something about great platformers (or was it my imagination)? Any worth recommending? I played Jak 1 which I loved (Jak 2 turned out to be a terrible non-platformer :/), and R&C are shooters for me (and I don't like them). I know that Sly games are supposed to be fun, but any others? I'll try to get my hands on them.

You should try Klonoa 2

AniHawk

Balb said:
You should try Klonoa 2
Everyone should try Klonoa 2.

szaromir said:

R&C and Going Commando had more of a mix of platforming than the rest of the series. GC was basically half-action, half-platformer while the first was a platformer with some shooting thrown in. Klonoa 2 was a great game and totally overlooked (and if you have a Wii, the remake of Door to Phantomile's coming out for $40 real soon). Haven't played any of the Sly Cooper games. Well, I did play 2 or 3, but there seemed to be a big focus on stealth. More than I cared for, really.

I guess that's pretty much it. Last gen wasn't very kind to platformers. It only started picking up again in 2005.

Zoc

AranhaHunter said:
All the Singstar and Buzz games if you like Karaoke and trivia games and also MLB The Show 09 if you like baseball....I'm sure there are more but I can't think of anything else right now off the top of my head.

Meh... that's it? I think I'll pass.

spwolf

Hero said:
How much is this really going to help Sony? They've gotten all they needed to from the system. Concentrate on selling PS3 and PSP, jeez.

lol, what does that even mean? :lol

nny

I guess I'll finally buy an American PS2 for my imports then. Hm...the only way of getting a white one is by buying the SingStar bundle? Bah, I don't need that.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well I'll be picking one up, I haven't had a PS2 in years but have always been temped by one of those sexy slim ones, so SLIM PS2 and GOD2 for me as soon as the price drop hits Europe.

inner-G said:
Question: Do the slims in the USA right now have the internal power supply, or is it still a power brick?

The packaging between the two slim models is different. The one with the system in a dynamic angled position with two panels on the surface is the latest slim model with an internal power supply.

I've been waiting all this time for this! Got pretty well caught up with all the PS2 games I could think of back when I went through my GC catchup binge.

Just need to figure out the best big memcard(suggestions?), get a pair and another controller---and the good times will eventually roll as per my backlog! :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Everyone owning a PS2 is like everyone in Japan owning a DS. Who doesn't have a PS2 at this point anyways?

Me, but I have a PS2-backwards-compatible PS3, so it's not like I'm missing anything...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Machado said:
does it have the power brick inside???

Is it that important for people that it has an internal power brick? I just generally stick a console some place and leave it there. Sure, with many consoles it'll be a huge mess of wires and power bricks, but eh.

Zoe

Tempy said:
Is it that important for people that it has an internal power brick? I just generally stick a console some place and leave it there. Sure, with many consoles it'll be a huge mess of wires and power bricks, but eh.

Power brick == more surface area for my cat to puke on

Some of us would like to have some semblance of order behind their entertainment systems :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Quixzlizx said:
How are there people who post on gaming forums that have never owned a ps2?
I don't have a PS2 and never owned one. It's because I have a GameCube which offered enough games for me next to a Dreamcast which I bought a few years after its dead until 2005 where I've got an Xbox 360 and could play all the games of last generation that were not exclusive to PS2 (minus a few which aren't bc). So I didn't buy a PS2 until now, as the exclusive games weren't so interesting to me, that I have to buy one. I could buy one soon, though, as I'm quite sure that I won't have to wait too long until a used PS2 in a nice condition can be bought for 50-60€. Then, this cheap PS2 is sure to fill any gap my Wii, 360 and DS might possibly leave 'till next generation.

Yoshi said:
I don't have a PS2 and never owned one. It's because I have a GameCube which offered enough games for me next to a Dreamcast which I bought a few years after its dead until 2005 where I've got an Xbox 360 and could play all the games of last generation that were not exclusive to PS2 (minus a few which aren't bc). So I didn't buy a PS2 until now, as the exclusive games weren't so interesting to me, that I have to buy one. I could buy one soon, though, as I'm quite sure that I won't have to wait too long until a used PS2 in a nice condition can be bought for 50-60€. Then, this cheap PS2 is sure to fill any gap my Wii, 360 and DS might possibly leave 'till next generation.

yoshiavatar2vv.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Wiki entry implies it works... I think
In response to the limitations of HD Loader, a number of independent programmers have developed patches which extend the functionality of HD Loader to improve game compatibility. These include a fix to improve dual-layer support, one to implement a non-aligned data buffer (which allows Gradius V to be played from the HD), one to defeat newer copy-protection measures (popularly known as the God of War fix), one to support the new "slimline" SCPH-70000 series PlayStation 2 hardware and one to implement 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (which allows HD Loader to take full advantage of hard drives larger than 137 GB; or 128 GiB, as reported by HD Loader) as of 0.7c hard drives of up to 2 Terabytes can be used.

Can anyone confirm this?
How does it work?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
akilshohen said:
I never had one at all. Went from Dreamcast to XBOX.
I would have done this but I liked JRPGs so I stuck with PS2. My one regret is never getting to play Shenmue II. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Wiki entry implies it works... I think
In response to the limitations of HD Loader, a number of independent programmers have developed patches which extend the functionality of HD Loader to improve game compatibility. These include a fix to improve dual-layer support, one to implement a non-aligned data buffer (which allows Gradius V to be played from the HD), one to defeat newer copy-protection measures (popularly known as the God of War fix), one to support the new "slimline" SCPH-70000 series PlayStation 2 hardware and one to implement 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (which allows HD Loader to take full advantage of hard drives larger than 137 GB; or 128 GiB, as reported by HD Loader) as of 0.7c hard drives of up to 2 Terabytes can be used.

Can anyone confirm this?
How does it work?

Forget about the five people who never bought one before. PS2 pricedropping is relevant for (a) people whose PS2s break and need to be replaced and (b) how it drops the price of a "backwards-compatible PS3" (i.e. buying a PS3 and a PS2 at the same time) by $30.

lulz as always to the tiny but reliable "PS2 was overrated" brigade.

Top Bottom