• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

cilonen

Basically every game featured on the cover of Next Generation magazine in the 90s

nNYlRmX.jpg

(Pictured, Messiah by Shiny)

Wow, I remember the hype for Messiah was through the roof. Did it even release?

III-V

Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg

Before release: OHMYGOD this looks so good, and dark, and it's the sequel to the best game ever!

During release: Eh... It's alright, I guess. Pretty good game.

After release: OHMYGOD Bloodborne looks so good, and dark, and it's the spiritual sequel to the best game ever!

The worst part was that the hype was natural, so it hurt so many people, so hard.

The hype was validated. Excellent game as a standalone and an good entry into an excellent series.

GamerJM

Banned
A lot of Rockstar releases from gen 6 qualify. In addition to State of Emergency, there was stuff like the Warriors and Smuggler's Run.

Jaeger

Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg

Before release: OHMYGOD this looks so good, and dark, and it's the sequel to the best game ever!

After release: OHMYGOD Bloodborne looks so good, and dark, and it's the spiritual sequel to the best game ever!

The worst part was that the hype was natural, so it hurt so many people, so hard.

... naw.

Dunkley

Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg

Yeah, no.

Souls games in general are all far from completely forgotten, already due to their difficulty alone.

If any game of that had to be applied to your logic though, it would be Demon Souls if at all.

Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg

Great game, oustading DLC still play it from time to time. So nope I don't think this one would be in this list.Killzone 2 on the other side, hell yeah, bleh game that was overhyped to the heavens and beyond, wish Sony'd have stick with Resistence instead of this franchise.

Best answer I can think of:

GDz1rLS.jpg

Ion Storm's first game, produced at the height of their hubris. Dominion was a partially finished game Ion Storm bought solely to burn off part of their contractual obligations with Eidos, which is something you normally hear about happening at the END of a contract, not the beginning. Then they brought in an expensive team to produce the shit out of it because one person at Ion Storm thought it could sell half a million copies; meanwhile the rest of Ion Storm, when they managed to pay attention to Dominion at all, are basically saying "dude, we just need to make sure it costs less than $3 million to make and we'll turn a profit, don't be an idiot."

Long story short, the game got a few splashy pieces in the gaming magazines of the day (including at least one cover story, I think), but Dominion died on release and it wasn't very good. Nowadays it doesn't even get remembered as one of Ion Storm's big failures because it turned out that Daikatana was even worse (and Anachronox didn't do so hot either). Really, if not for Ion Storm Austin (makers of Deus Ex and Thief), the Ion Storm name would be in the dictionary beside "schadenfreude."

This 1999 Dallas Observer article about Ion Storm is great reading, by the way, if you're curious about this period of history.

Great call! Certainly more valid than most of the entries here.

Sami+

Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg

This would have killed me if I hadn't been apprehensive about the new director and team in charge of it.

Competent game, I guess. But I hate it. Never seen a sequel miss the fucking point as badly as Dark Souls II did.

Hellgate_London.jpg

Having a ton of the original Diablo team members on this game gave it a ton of publicity. This game was Borderlands before Borderlands existed, just without the humor. It came out and tanked. I want to say the game had some massive server issues at launch. But maybe I'm wrong. I didn't pick it up until a year or so later, when it was already $9.99 at Gamestop.

Isurus

OK.

Not necesarily hyped but they seem to be largely forgotten...those Strike games:
Desert Strike
Soviet Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike

Jungle_strike_cover.png

I went down to my local used games shop a few months ago to pick these up for SNES. Definitely a set a gems there.

Chris1

How can people say Titanfall lol? There's monthly topics here about the game, clearly not forgotten that much.

Watch dogs for me.

I recall a little mmo called Majestic that all the magazines and web sites proclaiming it to be a mind-bending merger of games and reality that would send you emails and call your cellphone to advance the plot. Nobody cared. I got to wonder if something like that would go over a lot better now that smartphones are so prevalent.

Deathtrap Dungeon was another one that was EVERYWHERE before release because it was published by Eidos who was riding high in the reputation Tomb Raider got them.

Ha! Just remembered Iron & Blood Warriors of Ravenloft. Seemed like every month the mags would have that same set of pics of a green goblin guy fighting some generic warrior, metal bikini lady, or dwarf. They used mo-cap with real weapon experts! You could find items and equip them on characters and save it on a memory card and take that character to a friend's house with that equipment! I was probably the only PlayStation owner that was excited about it because it was Ravenloft, and I was probably the only dope that bought that piece of crap.

Allow me to take you on a stroll down memory lane:
250px-Floigan_Bros_boxart.jpg
To be fair, I made a thread about it in recent times and even contacted Andy Ashcraft (War of the Monsters on PS2) for details about his involvement.

Anyone remember this PowerVR game NEC was touting back around '96?

K3P2Kdfl.jpg

ReVolte has almost no details running around on the Web now, but it featured in many hype reels advertising the PowerVR architecture that never caught on. Game looks decent, if run-of-the-mill.

The scream of 256 players fighting at once. It was a complete load of baloney. the most you will ever see is 64 because of how massively divided the players are on the map. I literally tried to run to another section with other people. After 5+ minutes of straight running, I got sniped out in the open when I was almost there and sent all the way back to my starting base.

MAG_(video_game).jpg
MAG is that game where you have to know exactly what you're doing with a quality squad or you're not gonna have much fun with it. I thought it was an incredible game sometimes, when it clicked.

ultra7k

I've got all of you beat.

Global Operations.

Was supposed to dethrone Counter Strike and had decent magazine coverage.

Global_Operations_cover.png

LMAO! My brother worked on this game and did a lot of the frontend/UI stuff. This was of course before Barking Dog Studios got bought out by Rockstar.

That being said, I think it had an online community that went on for far longer than anyone had expected. At least that's what he told me.

What about classic games like the original Dynasty Warriors for PSX (you know, the fighting game before the series turned into a beat'em up) and Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi.

Top Bottom