• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One cannot buy an Xbox One power brick w/o sending faulty one in.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I just saw this on Reddit, and I think it's somewhat concerning and needs some visibility to spread around. Major Nelson mentioned that he will check why the power brick cannot just be bought straight out, no hassle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3j9huh/its_actually_impossible_to_get_an_extra_power/

I think it's a pretty big issue. What if you lost it? Microsoft won't sell you one because you can't send it in. Why would they even require this, it's just an accessory.

Hopefully we hear soon from Larry. Hopefully other Microsoft people who can do something about this will see this thread.
———————————————
Update 1:

You can, just talk to someone in the chat/ on phone and they take care of everything for you.

I had a us power supply, got a new aus one a month ago, still have both.

you can, but the option to directly buy the PSU is only calling to Xbox support phone, for some odd reason the page only sells you an exchange of the PSU, which is really weird

even in the console warranty period, the page might not be giving you the option to replace your PSU under warranty, so better just call them for anything to do with replacements / repairs unles the page gives you options in warranty correctly

Right. I ditched my US power brick when I came to Australia 7 months ago and called custom service. They asked for 70 AUD which was totally fine. Got the new one a few days later.
———————————————
Update 2: Some report that they have succesfully gotten a new power brick by telling Microsoft they have moved countries.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's strange. I'm sure it's just an oversight. Microsoft has nothing to gain by forcing customers to ship them their old, faulty power bricks.

HUELEN10

Wow, that is some bullshit if true. Yeah, MS is usually good about hearing legit causes out if enough noise is made, you should always have the option to buy one.

hwy_61

Banned
Seems really odd, not giving people a way to buy an integral part of a console.

Hopefully they rectify this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nintendo will not sell you a new gamepad for the WiiU either, they force you to send the original in.

Some guy had his stolen in here, and Nintendo made him send them the police report to prove it.

What the hell is up with that?

Yoday

That is really strange. Sending the old one in should only be necessary is you are getting a refurbished one back at a significantly reduced price.

Nintendo will not sell you a new gamepad for the WiiU either, they force you to send the original in.

Some guy had his stolen in here, and Nintendo made him send them the police report to prove it.

What the hell is up with that?

Are you serious? that is ridiculous. Business Rule #1: dont make it difficult for people to give you money!

big_z

back in the 360 days some people figured out Microsoft would send you a new brick for free if you told them yours made noise. they expected you to ship the faulty one back in the box the replacement came in but many didn't and instead abused the system to sell them for parts.

I don't see why they cant sell you a new one though. my guess is that they don't have the part in their system so customer service has no way of placing the order.

You can, just talk to someone in the chat/ on phone and they take care of everything for you.

someday

Banned
I had this happen to me with my 360. They wouldn't sell me a new one until I sent the broken one to them. I didn't want to wait for the shipping delay so I bought one from ebay for really cheap. Pretty sure I was going to have to pay for shipping as well.

This is a good thing. If you have stolen an Xbox one without the cables you are gubbed.

Of course you need to show proof of the cable is actually broken. I expect Nintendo and Sony do the same thing a well

LiK

Always bizarre when important accessories like this can't be bought easily. At least offer it through MS Store. What the hell is their store for if it doesn't offer that.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well that's stupid.....

Nintendo still doesn't offer replacement Wii U pads here in the US (they do in Japan IIRC) and now Microsoft wants you go through them to get a replacement brick? What's with these companies making a consumer jump through hoops just to get a replacement part.

I'm so glad that Sony continues to use off the shelf parts that players have been using since 1994

k2-_c4066540-89dd-4cad-9db8-49958d378514.v1.jpg

I expect Nintendo and Sony do the same thing a well
Well Im glad that's not the case for Sony at least and I can just plug my PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/PS VIta Power Cord into the system if I ever need to replace the one on my PS4.

El Sabroso

you can, but the option to directly buy the PSU is only calling to Xbox support phone, for some odd reason the page only sells you an exchange of the PSU, which is really weird

even in the console warranty period, the page might not be giving you the option to replace your PSU under warranty, so better just call them for anything to do with replacements / repairs unles the page gives you options in warranty correctly

And Ebay failed him in that Reddit thread?
*Takes off sunglasses*
Mother of God. I hope he gets his issue resolved and fast, because that's bologna (thanks Oscar Mayer) if he can't replace such an essential part of the system.

Grazzt

Right. I ditched my US power brick when I came to Australia 7 months ago and called custom service. They asked for 70 AUD which was totally fine. Got the new one a few days later.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If you don't feel like buying from ebay, did you try calling in?
No, I do not yet need to change my power brick. I created the thread to give the issue visibility. However, it appears that phone support will help you, but not chat support.
Larry said he will look into it as well.

Madness

I will disagree with the OP it's a pretty big issue. I mean how many people lose their power supply brick? For the overwhelming majority I'm sure their consoles are never moved beyond day one. If they are, most move with the console. I would think it's a small minority who lose their power brick, or that they cannot produce the old one. I would think a lot of consoles without power bricks are also due to break and enters where a console is stolen but the wires are left behind.

That all being said, they should allow you to purchase what you want if an accessory or external part is needed and I think you call in Xbox Support who will provide one for you.

8bit

Knows the Score

They wouldn't do this for me, I spent almost 3 hours in chat/phone sessions before I gave up and just chopped the plug off to replace with a local one.

Sounds like Australian support might do this, European will not. And I've tried in 4 languages.

I'm so glad that Sony continues to use off the shelf parts that players have been using since 1994

Are you kidding? Sony are the king dicks at proprietary stuff like memory cards or cables that can only be used with their systems. it's the reason i never bothered to get new games with my Vita as the memory cards were so ridiculously overpriced.

MCD

They stopped selling power bricks on their support site due to stolen Xboxs or something. I had to buy a used one from Amazon for my other room. :(

They wouldn't do this for me, I spent almost 3 hours in chat/phone sessions before I gave up and just chopped the plug off to replace with a local one.

Sounds like Australian support might do this, European will not. And I've tried in 4 languages.

Australian support in general seems a cut above. Sent me a new xbox free of charge sent mine in later, got a free game and controller. Never even asked for that stuff.

US wouldnt ever do that for me.

lherre

Accurate
I bought a new one from MS Customer Support here in Spain for my "I made this" Xbone that had a US power brick (unusable here in Europe).

I didn't need to send my US power brick to them. They only asked the machine serial number to register it.

sonto340

This thread reminds me, my power brick is obnoxiously loud and I've owned my Xbox for maybe 9 months so it's still within warranty.
Can I just get a new one sent and trade out my old one or do I have to purchase one?

GVA1987

To echo what has already been mentioned before but my brother lost his and got a replacement here via phone support in Australia. They just wanted the serial number. Hopefully it is just a simple fix and something they may not have thought to implement across all channels before.

This thread reminds me, my power brick is obnoxiously loud and I've owned my Xbox for maybe 9 months so it's still within warranty.
Can I just get a new one sent and trade out my old one or do I have to purchase one?

Within warranty a call to support should enable a replacement without the need to purchase. I had my Kinect die after an update ages ago and they arranged a replacement via an EB games here in Aus within the same day.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I will disagree with the OP it's a pretty big issue. I mean how many people lose their power supply brick? For the overwhelming majority I'm sure their consoles are never moved beyond day one. If they are, most move with the console. I would think it's a small minority who lose their power brick, or that they cannot produce the old one. I would think a lot of consoles without power bricks are also due to break and enters where a console is stolen but the wires are left behind.

That all being said, they should allow you to purchase what you want if an accessory or external part is needed and I think you call in Xbox Support who will provide one for you.
Fair enough. Not many people will lose stuff while moving, I moved about three times in my life and haven't lost anything in the transition. Regardless of that, it's pretty weird that Microsoft won't, outside of Australia so far, sell you an accessory that costs $35. I mean it probably costs them $5-10 to make, this isn't some HoloLens prototype.

zoobzone

Back in the 360 days I just called Microsoft, told them I moved to a different country with different power and they would just offer to sell me a new one.

RoKKeR

This, to my knowledge, is not true. I left my power brick in storage one summer and simply ordered a new one from their support site. Cost me $50 or so.

MCD

This, to my knowledge, is not true. I left my power brick in storage one summer and simply ordered a new one from their support site. Cost me $50 or so.

They had the option but removed it sometime last year or so.

Teletraan1

Banned
Power bricks will be addressed on a case by case basis like the exclusivity clause. Seems like an unnecessary hassle for their CS reps. Unless there really is a second GPU in that brick it should hold no value for having to send in. My mother has had 2 defective coffee makers sent to her without having to send the defective ones back and they run $150.

FWIW, if your power supply failed inside your WiiU or PS4, you'd have to send the whole console in or void your warranty to fix it. Obviously due to internal power supplies in both.

That said, silly policy by MS. My Kinect died ~9 months after getting the console and I had to send it in for repairs, although they sent it back pretty quickly, about 10 day turnaround.

This is pretty stupid however, the power brick is the size of a dog, how are you losing it?

You've never seen a "LOST DOG" sign before?

alterno69

Banned
I had to replace mine a month ago and it would take too long and just bought one off ebay, the piece of shit fan never stops working even when the consile is on standby.

I will have to "replace" the original one with MS now 😒

FFMafia

I just saw this on Reddit, and I think it's somewhat concerning and needs some visibility to spread around. Major Nelson mentioned that he will check why the power brick cannot just be bought straight out, no hassle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3j9huh/its_actually_impossible_to_get_an_extra_power/

I think it's a pretty big issue. What if you lost it? Microsoft won't sell you one because you can't send it in. Why would they even require this, it's just an accessory.

Hopefully we hear soon from Larry. Hopefully other Microsoft people who can do something about this will see this thread.
———————————————
Update 1:

———————————————
Update 2: Some report that they have succesfully gotten a new power brick by telling Microsoft they have moved countries.

Mine was very noisy two months after launch and I decided to call them about repairing it but I didn't want to be without a way to play so I offered to just buy one outright and they sold me one for 50$. They being Microsoft support. Wasn't even an issue. Maybe it's situational?

Edit: I see they removed that option a while ago. My bad.

Top Bottom