• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"One Hit Wonder" is a dead concept, right?

belgurdo

Banned
I can't think of any non-2D, non-shooter games in the last five or so years that didn't give you some form of health system (other than Crash.) Or am I not looking hard enough?

Several games - mostly by Capcom - have included one-hit-kill modes as unlockables. (PN03, DMC, Chaos Legion...) I can't think of any games that meet the criteria on default difficulty. Single-hit kills are best suited to games that involve a lot of repetition, memorization, and skill-building, which are not in vogue these days. Also required is very strong, fast, action-based gameplay with absolutely deterministic controls, which hasn't really been present in 3D games until recently - hence the health-bar workaround.

mac said:
Every hear of a little game called Rainbow 6?

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (PC version only) has a "health circle". It's either full, halved (injured), or empty (dead). Most of the time it goes empty in one hit though.

Xbox version has a more traditional health bar, and lets you get shot multiple times.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Uncle Dukey said:
Xbox version has a more traditional health bar, and lets you get shot multiple times.

Who have you been playing with on Live? haha, unless you get hit in the back in which case you seem to be invincible.

way more

Uncle Dukey said:
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (PC version only) has a "health circle". It's either full, halved (injured), or empty (dead). Most of the time it goes empty in one hit though.

Yeah, that was bullshit.

LakeEarth

Last small bit in Resident Evil when you are holding that nuclear energy tank or whatever. Someone touches you, there goes you, the guy who hit you, and half the building.

Bog

Junior Ace
Musashi Wins! said:
Who have you been playing with on Live? haha, unless you get hit in the back in which case you seem to be invincible.

Unless you're zoomed in on the guy with a G3A3 or M16, it's usually more than one shot.

Top Bottom