• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year ago today, the Nintendo Switch was announced

One year ago I gazed upon the new Super Mario tech demo for the first time.

One year ago I gazed upon the new Super Mario 3D auto runner for the first time.

I will never forget.

Dad

AfmNiG2.png

SalvaPot

It's done so much better than I had anticipated. I was there day 1, but I thought the gimmick wasn't that good. It's too expensive for a portable, too weak for a console. But then Nintendo launched what I think is their greatest software year in history. And in practice, the concept of really really nice. So I'm loving it.

2018 is the real test. After Xeno I think we're headed for a drought, and what's announced won't top Zelda or Mario not even close.

We have the new Yoshi and Kirby confirmed, and my money is on a Smash port in April.

We are probably getting something minor on January.

Ravelle

I've never seen random people sitting on the ground at train stations with a switch though, nor do we have roofs for roof parties and that many friends with Switches. ;p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think we should have a weekly thread for this topic. "74 weeks ago, the Nintendo Switch was announced."

Mr Swine

Banned
One day early birthday present I won’t forget :) I was sooo impressed on what they revealed and i’m Honestly glad that Switch is selling well.

I’m glad it came out in the middle of the generation since it’s usually a period where console sales start to slow down and that probably benefited Switch.

ZugZug123

I was excited by the review but the Jan presentation is what made me jump in and pre-order. Really glad Nintendo is back in top shape.

Yeeepp. Just have BotW. But cool that it was announced a year ago, I guess?

It's very, very cool. And even a little nostalgic (not sure if that's the right word for what it instilled) for me, for various personal reasons.

20th October 2016 will go down in history!

Or maybe not. Still cool though.

Newline

I still think this thing looks awesome.
I was completely team real. I remember in the thread people even started the analyse the trees in the background of the fake leaks. Crazy times. God i'm glad with what we actually got though.

Edit: wow this post is now edited!

phanphare

Banned
I'm pretty sure more Nintendo fans say this in a joking manner than actual people who say it seriously. At least on GAF and reddit.

well it's been a meme for over a decade so it makes sense that it would be used more today to mock the sentiment (being over a decade old) rather than when it was originally used to legitimately predict Nintendo's demise

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That first video was incredible, it totally blew my mind. After watching it I wanted to get the console day one. Then the January presentation happened, and my hype deflated a lot, only to rise up again like a phoenix when the first Zelda reviews and opinions started appearing. Nowadays I'm a proud Switch owner who's eager to play Mario Odyssey next week.

Man, what a ride it's been. It's day and night compared to the Wii U.

The video was great, the messaging was on point.

Checking my post, I see I made good on my promise, no crow to eat here lol:

They had one job: communicate clearly what it is and why it's good. They knocked it out of the park.
Fantastic marketing. This is like anti-WiiU.

Day 1 if this is sub-300 and batteries don't suck.

HyGogg

Banned
I remember being kind of lukewarm on it. I recognized it was a good market position for Nintendo, but didn't see any reason to add it to my existing pile of devices.

A year later, I want all my games on Switch.

HyGogg

Banned
My initial thought was, "well, RIP 3DS."

Ironically, this doesn't seem to have happened. I initially thought unifying under a single platform was kind of the point for Nintendo, but it's become obvious that there's still a large market of (mostly) kids who need a rugged, inexpensive handheld, that can be tossed in a bag and treated irresponsibly.

It seems inevitable we will get a cheaper, more kid-friendly model of the Switch (a la 2DS) at some point, maybe without the detachable controllers and dock, and that will be the nail in the 3DS coffin, but for now, they oddly enough do seem to have distinct markets,

LOLDSFAN

Yeah I was really disappointed during the reveal that the "hybrid" rumor was true. I figured it'd be too expensive for a portable, too weak for a console (ergo too weak for 3rd party games).

I still feel to this day that long-term 3rd party support is an important aspect for a console's success. EA sport games, COD, etc... Not that I play those. I don't. Other people do though, and it's important the system has those games.

Early signs indicate that the Switch is swinging in the right direction with NBA2K, FIFA, etc... Hopefully 3rd parties continue to develop.

Jubenhimer

We've come a long way from the flurry of NX rumors. Even I started getting a bit ridiculous with my predictions. Turns out the Switch is a much better concept than whatever crazy shit any on us thought it'd be. It's success should also vindicate Nintendo's blue ocean philosophy, and may finally shut up those who think they should just make a carbon-copy PS4 clone with Mario games.

Nintendo's wasting no time propping the Switch up with hits, and let's hope they keep coming next year.

HyGogg

Banned
Yeah I was really disappointed during the reveal that the "hybrid" rumor was true. I figured it'd be too expensive for a portable, too weak for a console (ergo too weak for 3rd party games).

I still feel to this day that long-term 3rd party support is an important aspect for a console's success. EA sport games, COD, etc... Not that I play those. I don't. Other people do though, and it's important the system has those games.

Early signs indicate that the Switch is swinging in the right direction with NBA2K, FIFA, etc... Hopefully 3rd parties continue to develop.

In the end, the real game changer for third party was not so much how capable the hardware was, but how energized the audience was. Third party support is going to be strong because Switch owners are buying third-party games.

Even when Nintendo had rough parity with the other systems back on GameCube, third-party support was (comparatively) weak, just because the audience didn't buy a lot of third-party games. But Switch seems to have a very high attach rate that is enthusiastic about buying games on this platform over others. That changes everything.

We have the new Yoshi and Kirby confirmed, and my money is on a Smash port in April.

We are probably getting something minor on January.
I'm really looking forward to those, but they just don't compare to new Mario or Zelda. I don't think those games will sell hardware to people who didn't budge with Mario and Zelda and Splatoon. It would be awesome if people bought Switches en masse just to play the new Kirby game, but I don't think that's ever happened. Kirby and Yoshi are the secondary games you buy after the main course.

well it's been a meme for over a decade so it makes sense that it would be used more today to mock the sentiment (being over a decade old) rather than when it was originally used to legitimately predict Nintendo's demise
I've been hearing a variation of "DOOMED!" since high school (N64 era), and to me it never gets old.

GoldStarz

You mean the design where you can play super chill like Wii+Nunchuk or just get a Pro Controller which is one of the best controllers ever made?

Wow, it's almost like opinions are a thing?????

I can't stand that the thing isn't symmetrical both from a visual standpoint and because I'd never want to hold it as it is. It's just something that drives me crazy to the point where I honestly can't stand that thing.

It's strange how it feels like this was forever ago. More than one year ago today we were comparing reflections of goddamn trees in a fake "NX" screenshot. Holy hell.

I've never been as hyped for a new console as I was for the Switch. It honestly made me feel insane at times. I'm insanely happy with the final product and still remember watching this reveal video dozens of times. Now I find that the song from the ad plays at my second job and it always brings back fond memories.

phanphare

Banned
man, so I just watched the reveal again

and that opening with Zelda, I actually got nostalgic for the music when Link gets on the horse

like, I felt nostalgia for a game that's not even a year old

BotW is something else. I remember being so engrossed in that world but when I stopped playing (around 80 hours) it was a cold stop. but as more and more time passes I've grown so much fonder towards that game and what it meant. what an experience. I wish I could mind wipe myself and do it all over again.

also we all laughed at that dude for pulling an all nighter and neglecting his dog and even when he walks his dog he brings zelda along with him. turns out that game is just that damn addicting. I haven't pulled an all nighter with a game since I was a teenager and sure enough there was one night with zelda where I just kept "ok just this last thing" and before I knew it it was 6am. that turned out to be awesome though because it was the only time we got snow this year and it was over early in the morning so I got to watch it come down before going to bed.

I'm pretty sure more Nintendo fans say this in a joking manner than actual people who say it seriously. At least on GAF and reddit.

I mean in an area where a few people saying that they don't like Crash Bandicoot led to dozens of "b-but I thought no one liked Crash Bandicoot and it was going to bomb!" or when one user posted one word (Scorpio) and that word has been since used in dozens upon dozens of threads, I think all bets are off as to what memes are overused or beating a dead horse.

I really didn't see anything untoward that should offend Crash fans but they really took it personally that some people didn't like those games.

But neither of us are the 'Meme Regulators' so I guess it's much-ado-about nothing.

javac

I was sitting in a McDonald's connected to the WiFi during my lunch break, refreshing the page on my phone waiting for it to go live, I was utterly blown away with the video. YouTube video loads and I see the title, "Switch?! That's interest...HOLY SHIT BOTW FOOTAGE" Needless to say I had an ear to ear grin the whole way through.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I knew I'd buy it because of Zelda. However, I had no idea it would eclipse my PS4 Pro, Xbox One, and PC as my most-played console just by having all these amazing games I can play in the shitter closet and hanging out on the couch watching baseball/futbol.

man, so I just watched the reveal again

and that opening with Zelda, I actually got nostalgic for the music when Link gets on the horse

like, I felt nostalgia for a game that's not even a year old

BotW is something else. I remember being so engrossed in that world but when I stopped playing (around 80 hours) it was a cold stop. but as more and more time passes I've grown so much fonder towards that game and what it meant. what an experience. I wish I could mind wipe myself and do it all over again.

BotW is nostalgic for me in a way I haven't felt for a game in well over a decade and it's not even eight months old. Imagine how kids who play the game will feel about it in 10-15 years.

Realeza

Banned
One year ago I gazed upon the new Super Mario tech demo for the first time.

One year ago I gazed upon the new Super Mario 3D auto runner for the first time.

I will never forget.

There was some joker who came with illustrations and everything about how the game will be like Mario 3D Land. Stubborn motherfucker wouldn't budge lmao.

Top Bottom