• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 5 design revealed

demented

Disappointed, huge bezels, 500+e cost (I'm fine with 500 but not over), only full hd screen, smaller battery etc.
I'm thinking about going for s8+ can get it for 700e new which is still pricey for me but I don't know if there's anything around the corner.. Skipped on 3T because I was waiting for this and it seems like I just keep waiting and waiting and nothing ever comes lol, been almost a year since I started looking for upgrade.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My OnePluse One is still trekking along just fine. Still don't really feel like I need to upgrade at all.

I do like the Essential a lot, but it's super expensive. I can't see myself spending more than 500 on a phone, if not significantly less. I spent $299 on my Oneplus One.

oti

Banned
Are they not competitive hardware/software wise? If I could save a few hundred bucks on the same specs, I would. But that design is just a turn off.

They are. And you could totally save a bunch of money. But if you want to pay an additional 400 bucks because the design is that important to you, that's not really what OPO is about.

They are. And you could totally save a bunch of money. But if you want to pay an additional 400 bucks because the design is that important to you, that's not really what OPO is about.

The sass.

I thought OnePlus was about standing out and not following the rest of the crowd, but you're right, maybe I'm wrong. The other makers, in designing the same style of tech, still manage to put half a thought into distinction. That OnePlus seemed happy to completely ripoff another company (yes, yes, they all steal from each other blah), it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence or make me want this phone, not to the same degree that I'd wanted to OnePlus one or any of the other models.

So yes, a "few" (two) hundred dollars might not be a huge difference to me- not that anything is set in stone, of course.

At this point, complaining about design rip off in a Chinese gadget thread is like pointing out spelling errors over the internet. It's a waste of electrons.

Falchion

Looks good. I'm still rocking my Note 4 but there's a very real possibility that I'll just be buying my next phone outright so this will most definitely be a contender.

Looks good. I'm still rocking my Note 4 but there's a very real possibility that I'll just be buying my next phone outright so this will most definitely be a contender.

Note 4 owner here. I might get another Note 4 or wait for a phone that has removable battery I like. Maybe V20 down the road. I don't like LG that much personally.

AppleBlade

I could never support something that was such a blatant rip off. I would almost feel like I'm dissing the art of industrial design by buying something like this. I mean, getting inspired by a design language is one thing this just feels like they started out with the goal of just stealing Apple's design.

demented

I don't have a problem with it being a ripoff, I mean how much variety can you have, that order and position works and they went with it, if they moved it to opposite side or middle it would have been fine?

I know where OnePlus saves money, their design department. Everything about this company is generic. They first copied the HTC One, and now they are ripping off the iPhone. Even if the specs are good, I don't care for buying a rip-off version of another company's phone.

the biggest surprise is that One Plus is a chinese company, I thought they were an indie american start up with a billion dollar idea.

Erv

I like it since I like look of iPhones but I don't like ios. I wonder if it will have a notification light.

Lupercal

Banned
Phone looks great,specs are awesome and quality of OnePlus surpasses most other brands.
Who cares if it looks like an iphone (which apple also copied the design from etc etc ..)

People being so superficial about the look of a phone these days.

I was looking at either the One+ 5 or the Honor 9 as my next phone but the bezels on both are so "2015" looking. I don't think I can pay $500 and use either phone for 18 months.

I'll likely happily pay more to get the Essential phone for its updated design.

These companies have no shame in copying designs like this? I thought that One Plus was already over doing this. Their first ever popular phone from them had a unique design that looked great. Now apart from the logos, it's identical to the iPhone 7.

oti

Banned
The Verge visited OnePlus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onBiCn963XM

The sass.

I thought OnePlus was about standing out and not following the rest of the crowd, but you're right, maybe I'm wrong. The other makers, in designing the same style of tech, still manage to put half a thought into distinction. That OnePlus seemed happy to completely ripoff another company (yes, yes, they all steal from each other blah), it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence or make me want this phone, not to the same degree that I'd wanted to OnePlus one or any of the other models.

So yes, a "few" (two) hundred dollars might not be a huge difference to me- not that anything is set in stone, of course.

I don't know. I'm a person who reaaaaaaaaally doesn't care about brands to a degree to think about whether they follow others or not. All I want is good enough hardware for a low enough price. Design is not that important. The OPO was great, my OP3 is even better and I don't see a reason why to upgrade for a couple of years. It's that good (for me).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Why does every phone look like a 3 year old iPhone? It's crazy. I'm not even trying to be smug it's just that everything looks an iPhone. Even chromebooks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DBze2ObXkAArUqf.jpg

It looks like they didn't copy the main thing that makes the shape of the iphone (and other Apple's products) cool - its corner curvature continuity.

TCRS

Banned
man that is off putting. I liked the originality combined with the cheap price but such an obvious rip off.. eh. still happy with my 3T.

ty_hot

Im glad I got the 3T a few months back. wonderful phone, cheaper price. Any flagship killer in 2017 isnt a flagship killer with bezels this size.

I wonder how is the camera, though

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
My 3t sent a global notification that this live event was starting soon. I said to myself, I'll see it later. Jist is 2 cam.

I already watched the design making of it on the verge yesterday. The imaging director made the video worth it. He had to have lost a bet or something.

afroguy10

Posting from my OP1 the now, cracking phone but I've had it around 2.5 years now, feeling like a change could be quite nice now. I'm gonna look into the OP5 a little but I'm not blown away, might settle for the OP3, heard its a great phone.

illamap

Posting from my OP1 the now, cracking phone but I've had it around 2.5 years now, feeling like a change could be quite nice now. I'm gonna look into the OP5 a little but I'm not blown away, might settle for the OP3, heard its a great phone.

I had oneplus one till now, but i bought redmi note 4 global, not bad for 160 euros including taxes.

Pejo

Just got the 3T a few months ago when I lost my OPO. I'm not upgrading this soon, but Oneplus is definitely my brand of choice. The bang for the buck is ridiculous.

Reallink

Bezels, 1080p ,$500+, LOLGoodluck One+. Who would buy this when the S8 and G6 are cheaper with all the bogo and $300 off trade in promos they've been running?

Audioboxer

Looks like they're going to do a Google with the pricing. My S6 is on its last legs and my 2 year contract finishes in like 2 months. My next phone is going to be something like this or a Google phone (maybe last years Pixel if refreshes this year still cost an arm and leg).

I just want to get away from TouchWiz and Samsungs absolutely abysmal software support/update timeframes. AOSP it is, or at least a phone with a manufacturer that releases all phone sources, not just kernel like Samsung (leads to shitty dev scene). The only thing keeping me with Samsung the last few years has been AMOLED but thankfully most manufacturers are using it now. LCD is shite in phones.

Tagyhag

I think I'm just going to wait for reviews. I originally wanted a 3T but this is only $40 more...

And yeah I'm not happy about the continued increase of pricing.

kharma45

I think I'm just going to wait for reviews. I originally wanted a 3T but this is only $40 more...

And yeah I'm not happy about the continued increase of pricing.

It's not a surprise. Each iteration has seen a significant bump. Myself and many others guessed it'd be the case again.

Audioboxer

The less pressure Google put on manufacturers the more we'll likely see prices go up across the board. When Google were firing out the Nexus 4/5 it was shaking up the Android market a bit. Now that they've gone full Apple pricing it eases off the pressure to offer really good value for money.

The Chinese/Asian manufacturers still do good priced phones, but Google doing it directly meant easy international reach for buyers.

ZOONAMI

For the money I honestly don't know why you wouldn't just get a G6 or S8 and run nova.

Design on both of those android flagships is leagues ahead of this, and apple.

Vuze

Wow, the leaked iPhone 7 knock-off design was really it lol. Their... rendition... of it looks pretty cheap though. Also looks way too last year for a 500$+ phone. gl

JaggedSac

Love my 3t, only got it a few months ago, maybe should have waited for this guy to come out. I sure as hell am not paying $800 for a smartphone.

Top Bottom