• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Septimius

Is there a Comedian GAF? This needs solving

Just use something simple, it's just to captivate those who start reading. Just be spontaneous about it :)

All I can think when I hear heart of gold is Zephod Beeblebrox references.

My jokes tend to go ...used to be gold, fuck you don't judge me. or something aggressive because I am an asshole.

That's not being an asshole.

Is it wrong that I like this?

Just a bit of spicy aggression. I feel it would be perfect if followed with a Phoenix Wright TAKE THAT!

It's great for tons of things, but not for the beginning of your dating profile :D It'd be great later in your profile, when you've established your first impression.

I messaged someone yesterday that had all kinds of sports stuff in her profile something like this, "The Sandlot - the best baseball movie or are you are an awful person? Please choose" She did write back saying it is a great movie. Doubt it will go further, but sometimes teasing that they could be a bad person works. Just think they couldn't take a joke.

It's hit or miss. But I'd rather fail some attempts at a cheesy joke than be one of the swarms of "hi how are you" messagers. You win some you lose some.

etrain911

Hey Online Dating GAF, I was wondering if you could check out my OKC: okcupid.com/profile/xFortunatesonx

I intend to add some more pictures to it, especially since I just dyed my hair recently. My photographer friend and I are gonna meet some time next month, I think. Also, I know the name is totally on some xboxlive levels of unoriginal, but I don't want to have to pay to change it. I average about 5 visitors a week and maybe a couple messages, but I always like to improve.

E92 M3

I love it. Whatever I'd say would just be nit-picking and taking away from the style you followed through with. I'm a coder, but I didn't get the "morphed"-joke, and since that's relatively early, perhaps review that? I'm sure a lot of people just read the first few lines, so they should be great. The first few lines had me a bit like "hmm, maybe this could be different", but the more I read on, the more I just loved your profile. I guess it's long, so just be sure to captivate people early. Maybe review if there's something you can consider fluff?

Great job.

Meh. When you throw such a ballsy first-liner out there, "buffering" it with that would just have you not stick to you convictions. The only way a line like that works is by saying it with a straight face. The bonus is that you weed away these people that don't get humor, so it worked great. And, please, never throw "lol" at the end of.. anything. It should only be used as a response. It just reminds me of those people that throw a quip at you, then say "I'm kidding!" - I always just want to go "shut up and let me quip you back!"

Text does not demonstrate tone, doesn't show a smile on a face and it's hard to understand what the person is trying to achieve. In fact, it's difficult to even detect it as humor right of the bat. Buffering texts to strangers is a sure way to not get misrepresented.

y2dvd

So let me get this straight, I get on the app and swipe right to every profile right and then check out the match section on the pc web version of the site?

You can do everything on the phone app. Use Quickmatch to swipe right until you can't swipe no moessss. Use Match to actually look into people's profiles. If you like them, send a message relating to their profile or pics. If you can't find something to relate to, send them a message anyways (I send a cheesy pick up line). Hide them, and move onto the next profile. Even if you hide them, if they respond, you'll see it in your Messages. I sound like a broken record lol.

jasonng: I do agree that I find detailing yourself is a bit odd. I even stated that in my profile until backslashbunny pointed out that I should remove it. To me, the details should come out of the date, but online is a different ball game and you have to sell yourself. I still keep my details at a minimal though.

Septimius

Text does not demonstrate tone, doesn't show a smile on a face and it's hard to understand what the person is trying to achieve. In fact, it's difficult to even detect it as humor right of the bat. Buffering texts to strangers is a sure way to not get misrepresented.

The problem is that this was a quip, and not a joke. If you make it into a joke, by adding such a smiley, it's a half-assed one. Having it as a quip sets up a great opportunity to throw quips back and forth, which is a fun way to start off a conversation. If I went up to someone in real life and went "you can't seriously tell me you think those shoes go with that dress", I couldn't be joking about it. Because that's a terrible joke. As a serious remark, it opens up witty comebacks. That's what that's meant for. That's why a buffer just makes it more of a quip you couldn't stand behind than a joke.

Why not just leave it as "heart of code" without any reference to gold? Most people would overlook it and someone who actually notices the pun will ask you if it's deliberate or a Freudian slip, thus starting a conversation.

I used to have "conservation" in my "six things I can't live without" but was never called out as a tree-hugger.

cabot

Why not just leave it as "heart of code" without any reference to gold? Most people would overlook it and someone who actually notices the pun will ask you if it's deliberate or a Freudian slip, thus starting a conversation.

I used to have "conservation" in my "six things I can't live without" but was never called out as a tree-hugger.

That's a good idea. I like the idea of it just being there for someone to pick up.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We're doing the whole profile judging thing? I'm down. I'm putting mine in email tags though so please quote to reveal! :)

<------- quote to reveal what it says to the left of this!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Smiley90

Would you like it done publicly or here? I'm not sure if you're not revealing it because you would like it to be private, so let me know.

When someone PMs me their profile, I assume they want private discussion, but when it's posted in this thread I assume they are okay with it being quoted here. Don't want to do that if you're not, so let me know~

Oh it's fine to discuss it here, I just don't really want my profile out there haha. I've posted my pic on GAF before too, so I really shouldn't care... but here's fine :) thanks!

(also please tell me if there's something wrong/bad about the pics I guess?)

Smiley90

Alright, I won't quote it like I do for the others, but my impressions...

1. What hockey team? (Say anything but the Canucks and no Asian will date you. lololol)
2. What you're doing is fine. Sounds interesting.
3. The talking before thinking is a little ?_? to me, but the other part is alright.
4. Your favorite x part is good. I like the neatly broken down sections and occasional commentary. Puts voice into your profile.
5. Six things- the coffee twice part is good for other coffee drinkers, but non-drinkers may not understand.
6. The rest of it is okay.

Your profile is normal. The jellyfish part is cute. Your kind of profile will probably hinge more on your pictures, since there's nothing on there that are overt red flags but there wasn't anything that super jumped out at me (sorry, just being honest).

Again, though, with my disclaimer:

THESE ARE JUST MY THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS, BUT MY OPINIONS MATTER LESS THAN YOUR OPINIONS IN YOUR OWN LIFE SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT ANYTHING I SAY AS A COMMAND OR GUARANTEE THAT I SPEAK FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT MYSELF.

1. LOL. I don't get it. Why? I mean, it IS the Canucks 'cause I live in Vancouver, but why?!? LOL. I'm sure there's Asians that cheer for other teams as well? I also wear a Canucks jersey in one of my pics so... uh... I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

5. GOOD because seriously who'd wanna date a non-coffee drinker anyway. (I'll consider it, but my profile is already limited with humour...)

My profile will hinge on my pictures? oh god no wonder it's not working. What would you recommend changing then, if no specific changes? Like what would you add? I appreciate the feedback!

I sent an interesting and witty message to a seemingly awesome girl the other night.

Her response?

"Dang! Long message lol"

It was only 24 sentences. This site, I fucking swear

Smiley90

Sooooo I need to add/change something, okay okay. :p I'll... Uh... Think about it haha.

And hey, EVERYONE in Vancouver loves the Canucks... That's not an Asian thing. :p

Luigi87

Just had a coffee date. It was very nice. She drove me home afterwards (knowing that I don't drive, and saving me the bus trip home), so I was plenty grateful. Exchanged numbers. I'm hoping we'll get to see each other again (though I'll be in Japan for two weeks come this Saturday, so I'll probably text her something about hoping to meet up after I get back).

stn

I'll post mine since I often get messages finding my profile funny or just fun in general.

Self Summary
I'm a tall, dark, European. Sexy, I know.

(Women have triggers that activate when they see this. I put it since I fit the description.)

What I'm Doing
Working towards a job that will allow me to sue countless amounts of people (including you).

I'm Really Good At
Being Harvey Specter.

First Thing People Notice
My butt is really cute.

Favorite Stuff
Seinfeld is my favorite book, show, music, and food. It tastes great, by the way.

Six Things
Soul food. Straight to my thighhhhhhssssss.

I Spend Time Thinking About
Why do hot dogs only come in packs of 6 when they know I'm going to eat 8 at once?

(I stole this from a member in this thread. Thank you, its worked wonders.)

Friday Night I Am
Suited up. Other days I'm naked.

Most Private Thing
I have a man-crush on Stephen Amell (not that there's anything wrong with that).

(I'm straight, lol. I just figure girls can relate to this.)

You Should Message If
You think I'm a sexy hunk...duhhhhhhhhhh.

Eh, she could just be joking.

Or, she could be one of those people that hates reading / takes pride in hating to read. Is that your type? Do you care? One of my best friends is like that, and while I love her, I could never date her (I'm a lit snob.)
My entire career involves writing and editing and having mastery of the English language. A woman who responds to zero of the clever and specific points I made about her profile is not a woman I'm interested.

As somewhat of an aside, I rarely read -- ever. I love words and I love writing and grammar, but I read about one book a year. I wonder how big of a turn off THAT is for some girls? Probably a big one, especially since I'm only compatible with nerdy chicks.

Jhoan

Well got home from the date. Jason, the High Line was cool so thanks for recommending it. It's really chill and has nice views. Will definitely be going back there for future dates.

On to the break down of the date. I met up with her and talked. We got lost trying to find the place since I'd never been to the place before. She looked just like her pictures if not much better. Unfortunately I kept apologizing for no stupid reason which she was coo about. She seemed genuinely interested.

There were a few moments of tension about opinions; nothing serious. I noticed she's really reserved as she said she was shy that she didn''t initiate physical contact but proximity wise we were walking close. I tried to make out with at some point but failed after over thinking about it and quickly changed the subject to get rid of the awkwardness. At some point we went to a restaurant which I was trying to avoid going to at all costs since she didn't eat all day and didn't want ice cream. Thankfully, we went Dutch. In the end I noticed that as I was about to get off the train, I was gonna go for a handshake but she gave me a hug instead which I guess was a good sign.

As a whole, I thought it went well and got the sense that she liked me that she was watching me ink a drawing I did of someone in the train. But I think from here on out, going forward with future dates, I'm not going to attempt to kiss on the first date because it's the initial date of getting to feel the person out. I think trying to go for the kiss has felt like a forced thing for me instead of a natural one which I can now see why it's turned off girls I've dated in the past. Unless of course the signs are blatantly obvious and the physical contact is strong. I think I like her that I want to see her again and plan on taking her to a park near my house for date number 2 but that would be next week. I'm texting her now, plan on going cold for a few days, then hit her up again some time on Sunday.

I think I have a few more dates waiting in the wings and just got more Tinder matches. But honestly, I think I need to stop spending money on dating for a while since I need money for bigger things besides going out. There's plenty of cheap/free dating ideas to do though without blowing through my wallet going forward until my financial situation stabilizes. Definitely have growing pains to do with prioritizing/saving money since my money is only so finite.

Smiley90

I wasn't sure, haha. My ex from Vancouver told me that everyone in Vancouver loved the Canucks. Hell, I love the Canucks (and yes, I saw that riot with shame). However, he also said that Vancouver is all a bunch of Asians, so I wasn't sure if it was just an Asian thing haha.

... Yeah that sounds about right... I was at that game... -sigh-

I am most definitely not Asian though, so there's AT LEAST one non-Asian in Vancouver. Science!

Also, in response to the bolded part

uLVEt.gif

geestack

As a whole, I thought it went well and got the sense that she liked me that she was watching me ink a drawing I did of someone in the train. But I think from here on out, going forward with future dates, I'm not going to attempt to kiss on the first date because it's the initial date of getting to feel the person out. I think trying to go for the kiss has felt like a forced thing for me instead of a natural one which I can now see why it's turned off girls I've dated in the past. Unless of course the signs are blatantly obvious and the physical contact is strong.

I think that's pretty sensible, forcing the kiss on a first date can be mad awkward (as you found out), so going with the flow is always the best way to proceed, I've found. I don't believe in that rule that if you don't kiss on the first date, there's no romantic interest as past experiences have proven that wrong many times. If she's not into kissing on the first date, then forcing it will definitely turn her away. If it happens, it happens, you should be able to feel out if it's right.

Jhoan

You sound like my dad :p. I don't disagree with you though...I think cheap dates are better for the first few dates.
This made me lol. I hope that's a good thing since I'm Captain Oblivious! ;p I gotta hang in there strong since my financial situation tied to my mother's income who's currently out of town.

I do have a work-study job that I more or less got but I need to fill out the employment forms and wait for the supervisor to get back to me regarding trying to get my college's work-study person to let me work now. I guess I'll keep at it with the cheap dates and split the bill because once the semester starts up again, I'm abandoning the dating scene again to focus on my studies; being an art student is expensive but thankfully it's my final semester.
I think that's pretty sensible, forcing the kiss on a first date can be mad awkward (as you found out), so going with the flow is always the best way to proceed, I've found. I don't believe in that rule that if you don't kiss on the first date, there's no romantic interest as past experiences have proven that wrong many times. If she's not into kissing on the first date, then forcing it will definitely turn her away. If it happens, it happens, you should be able to feel out if it's right.
In retrospect looking at past dates, I think I came off as desperate/creepy trying to force it. I learned that not kissing on the first date actually creates tension for the second date if anything so I definitely agree that it's not the end of the world. Different strokes for people. I'm no Rico Suave at making smooth moves since I'm still relatively new to dating; I got my first kiss while my date and I were drunk.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In the end I noticed that as I was about to get off the train, I was gonna go for a handshake but she gave me a hug instead which I guess was a good sign.

A handshake?! Dude, it's one thing if you don't want to go for a kiss, but there's really no need for a handshake. Even the worst dates I've been on ended with at least a hug.

Smiley90

Handshakes? Damn. I OPEN a date with a hug. Nobody has ever jumped back from that oO.

stn

Always hug. If the girl OFFERS a handshake first, make a joke about it and say something like "I don't know where you're from...but we HUG over here." Or something like that. It shows her you're not intimidated and opens up casual flirting for later on. Also, a handshake is wayyy too business-like. The only time I might do that is when I meet a girl I don't know and am not on a date with.

y2dvd

lmao, me!

Now kiss O_O

I'll post mine since I often get messages finding my profile funny or just fun in general.

Self Summary
I'm a tall, dark, European. Sexy, I know.

(Women have triggers that activate when they see this. I put it since I fit the description.)

What I'm Doing
Working towards a job that will allow me to sue countless amounts of people (including you).

I'm Really Good At
Being Harvey Specter.

First Thing People Notice
My butt is really cute.

Favorite Stuff
Seinfeld is my favorite book, show, music, and food. It tastes great, by the way.

Six Things
Soul food. Straight to my thighhhhhhssssss.

I Spend Time Thinking About
Why do hot dogs only come in packs of 6 when they know I'm going to eat 8 at once?

(I stole this from a member in this thread. Thank you, its worked wonders.)

Friday Night I Am
Suited up. Other days I'm naked.

Most Private Thing
I have a man-crush on Stephen Amell (not that there's anything wrong with that).

(I'm straight, lol. I just figure girls can relate to this.)

You Should Message If
You think I'm a sexy hunk...duhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm biting this style lol!

Most girls don't mind a hug. I had one yesterday that did though lol, but it was her first time doing an online date. I joked there was a lot of pressure on me to leave a great first impression for her first online date. You can tell she was nervous. She was also new to America from Korea and a Christian. She hesitated in the hug greeting and good bye and actually turned me down when I offered to walk arm and arm to her car. Not sure if it's a cultural thing lol. Anyways, she gave me her number and said she wanted to do this again.

Tonight's date bailed. I always make sure the date is still happening before heading out because I've had a few flakes before. She responded saying she got out of yoga class late and she apologized. We haven't exchanged numbers yet, so I told her if she's if she's really wanting to reschedule, let's exchange numbers, otherwise let's just go about our merry ways. Kinda put her on the spot. She gave me her number and now we're trying to reschedule. Oh well, it happens.

Wat! How can you claim mastery over the English language if you don't read >=o. /angryEnglishLITmajor.

But seriously, reading is more than books :). Articles, blogs, opinion pieces, news, briefs, PhD candidacy papers... all of those include reading. I love reading, and I love novels, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a turn-off if someone preferred other mediums.

I am talking about the people that take pride in their ignorance. That never is good for a date, for me.

Your perception must be skewed! It is entirely possible to be intimate (figuratively AND literally) with the English language without being an avid reader. Knowledge of grammatical laws isn't dependent on the amount of text consumption. I DO read an absurd amount daily (thanks to my job), but outside of word my reading is typically relegated sites like GAF or Cracked instead of traditional books/novels. After staring at a computer screen all day, I don't want to KEEP staring at words in my free time. Plus, I listen to dozens of hours of podcasts every week (I have three hours of commuting every day, plus I can listen to whatever I want on the job). Interesting podcasts are similar enough to books, right?

The downside is that reading is absolutely awesome, and there are tons of badass fictional worlds I'm missing out on -- thankfully, there are plenty of fictional worlds built within the realms of movies/television/games/heavy metal that I don't feel like I'm missing out.

But sure, anyone who takes pride in ignorance shouldn't be a good date for ANYONE above the IQ of a toddler. There's a specific question OKC though -- "Does your partner have to be an active reader?" The only options are "Yes" and "No". Plenty of intelligent women have "No" marked on their profile.

This is way too long of time to spend on a post about OKC when I'm drunk and have to get up in seven hours, but alas!

Smiley90

I'm going to paste something on FaceGAF JUST FOR YOU.

Yeah you don't want to come off as desperate. It sucks that sometimes you have to "play it cool," but I prefer to think of it as matching pace as your partner. It's possible you and your partner will both be like OMIGOD SOULMATES, but it's also possible it will take time for it to grow for them. Or, even vice versa!

That's why generally I don't date strangers. I enjoy growing in love with my partners.

Yeah a handshake is... eh. Worse than nothing at the end, imo.

niiiiiiiiiiice. How did you get your hands on that? Present from your ex? (Given that hockey isn't THAT popular in.... cali? texas? I have no idea and the Canucks for sure even less)

Also, Online Dating always reminds me of this picture and I just wanna post it again in case some of you guys wanna "fake" your online profile to make it "more appealing" to girls:

Personally I'm not into online dating but do have an OKCupid profile. I message chicks I have no compatibility with just because I like saying random stuff and seeing if anyone bites. It's kind of like comedians who show to a small audience before they do it for real. I keep what works and use it in the street.

Yeah I actually feel more awkward shaking hands with a woman than I do going for a hug or kiss on the cheek, unless its in a professional setting. Although even in a professional way it still feels weird. I guess in some way I am "hard wired" to shake hands with men and go for more intimate contact with women.

etrain911

You spelled sophomore wrong. Other than that, you should explain what KGLRC is, as well as STUORG.

So far you know what you want. I actually think this is really good...I have a pretty clear idea of what kind of person you are, and that's always appreciated.

:)

This is fine as well.

I think this is a great list. Well-written and thorough.

<3333

Also fantastic.

Also fine.

That's not private :<. haha, this is fine :). Relatable to most.

Dislike the "hella," and you misspelled recommendation.

Other than that, I like your profile. I'm not poly, but if I came across your profile I would definitely, definitely want to be your friend. Like, definitely.

I think whoever you're trying to attract will definitely be attracted to your profile. Haven't seen your photos so that might change things, but either way I think you will get the sort of people you are looking for.

I appreciate all of the thorough criticism. :) I went back and edited all of the bits that needed editing. If anyone wants some sort of critique of their profiles, feel free to let me know or send me a PM. I'd only be happy to share in the complete and total annihilation of every word, punctuation mark, and paragraph break that you have worked so hard to build.

Az987

all good things
Geesh how did I get blocked in 3 replies on Tinder when she messaged me first and opened with, "You're cute, where are you located?"

I guess if her profile says she cosplays star wars don't make a joke about dressing up like chewbacca? Gosh damn.

I've always greeted girls with a handshake... maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. Next time I'll act like Howie Mandel and say I'm germaphobic ("can we just hug instead?") or I'll say "what is this, a job interview?"

We're doing the whole profile judging thing? I'm down. I'm putting mine in email tags though so please quote to reveal! :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Took a quick look at this. I think there was a typo somewhere. Regardless, it's a good profile, but safe. Some suggestions: when you mentioned your beard and hair don't match in terms of colour I thought of "carpet and drapes" but not sure how you would spin that into a joke without sounding creepy/pervy. Also your choice of sports can probably fit in a "racket" joke ("I like rackets, no not the noisy ones").

Also the indecision (I don't know where I'm going, not sure where my degree will take me) may be a turn-off to some. You're in school so you don't really need to say where you're going, except maybe "I hope to one day cure cancer, or barring that create a super-serum, test it on myself, then destroy the formula lest it fall into the wrong hands".

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Backslashbunny on a helping spree, I see. Very nice of you. I may post my profile later on, though I'm afraid fo the reaction now :/.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That girl you guys kept telling me not to focus solely on is awesome and the 6 different girls I had been talking to stopped talking to me which I think is good because it gives me a bit more attention to focus on "good match girl". Anyways she's pretty awesome. We've been chopping it up and vibing very well. Thinking about asking her out soon (I say soon because I'm busy this weekend and she lives a bit far at the moment).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dear Tinder ladies (and dudes?): don't swipe to the right if you don't even intend to respond to your matche's messages.

I mean, what's the point?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You can always PM me your profile if you want private conversation about it :).

What does swipe right mean? I've never checked out Tinder (not into that kind of thing), but I'm curious what this means.

"I like this bro/sis and I would like to make contact with him/her".

Basically, one person marks another as attractive in hopes they get the same reaction, in which case there's a match and you can send a message. One of the good things about Tinder is that matches people who blindly and reciprocally say "I like this one". It's superficial, since you are basically judging people from their looks, but it helps to cut to the chase pretty damn fast. However, as vicissitudes say, some people are just looking for an ego boost.

Swiping to the left means you toss her profile into the shitbin and you never hear from her/him again.

PS: I swear my message was a fairly polite and standard "hello there". No DTF questions.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ah, okay. Thank you for the explanation, that was really informative.

Yeah Tinder is so not my thing, then. I hate it when a guy goes for me because of how I look ><

Well, there are also shared interests taken from Facebook and a short description where you can explain who you are and what do you want.

Alas, plenty of people leave that last one blank. Why, I'll never know. I personally try to keep it short, concise and funny. Whenever I see a girl with a huge ass introduction I'm like "lady, this is Tinder".

Dear Tinder ladies (and dudes?): don't swipe to the right if you don't even intend to respond to your matche's messages.

I mean, what's the point?

Maybe she didn't like your message, maybe she accidentally swiped right, maybe she's swamped with messages from others, maybe she really likes someone else.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maybe she didn't like your message, maybe she accidentally swiped right, maybe she's swamped with messages from others, maybe she really likes someone else.

The thing is, this seems to be a rather damn common issue with Tinder. People matching just to get their jollies.

Not saying that my flowery prose couldn't fail to impress her, mind you. I was surprised enough when I saw a match.

freshair

In retrospect looking at past dates, I think I came off as desperate/creepy trying to force it. I learned that not kissing on the first date actually creates tension for the second date if anything so I definitely agree that it's not the end of the world. Different strokes for people. I'm no Rico Suave at making smooth moves since I'm still relatively new to dating; I got my first kiss while my date and I were drunk.

I like to think of the "first" date as the 0th date. You're just there to get to know the person and get a feel for them / if they're like their pictures / personality. If a first kiss happens because of crazy chemistry, then it happens. If it doesn't, that's fine too.

Once everything checks out and you're both comfortable with each other and agree on a second date, that's where things are a bit more comfortable and natural. It's where a kiss is expected (or so I've heard) if things are planning on going anywhere. Preferably you shouldn't wait until the very end because then you're just going to build up this unnecessary anxiety.

Smiley90

I've always greeted girls with a handshake... maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. Next time I'll act like Howie Mandel and say I'm germaphobic ("can we just hug instead?") or I'll say "what is this, a job interview?"

Took a quick look at this. I think there was a typo somewhere. Regardless, it's a good profile, but safe. Some suggestions: when you mentioned your beard and hair don't match in terms of colour I thought of "carpet and drapes" but not sure how you would spin that into a joke without sounding creepy/pervy. Also your choice of sports can probably fit in a "racket" joke ("I like rackets, no not the noisy ones").

Also the indecision (I don't know where I'm going, not sure where my degree will take me) may be a turn-off to some. You're in school so you don't really need to say where you're going, except maybe "I hope to one day cure cancer, or barring that create a super-serum, test it on myself, then destroy the formula lest it fall into the wrong hands".

Go straight for the hug, I'm telling you. Establishes physical contact right away and makes you seem way more friendly than a handshake. Never had anyone recoil.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try "spice" it up a bit. Somehow, haha. I like your ideas a lot!

Five

Banned
Go straight for the hug, I'm telling you.

I'm going to echo this. If you're comfortable getting together in public, you should be comfortable with a quick hug. It says you're friendly and comfortable, which are things you should be communicating. Just don't make it weird.

Top Bottom