• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online petition to bring Women's Football to FIFA

Sure, if all they want to do is slap 'Womens League' on the back cover and appease the people who are complaining. I would argue that is even worse than not having it at all, though, as it would not be done properly - there would be no player likenesses, no proper stats, no motion capture etc. You might as well just create your own players in the Pro mode.

I think there's a fair middle ground. You don't need to sink millions into this feature to do it right - the content wouldn't even have to be as encompassing as the main game. Just a side mode focusing on the women's leagues, with accurate rosters, and decently recognizable likenesses. It's foolish to expect an experience on-par with the main game, for a league that isn't aware close to the same scale.

For all of the pointless details that EA does focus on year-to-year, this seems like one pointless detail that could net them more sales than most others.

Syntsui

I'm gonna be honest, I never cared about women's football. Always found it boring as hell when it aired on Band/Globo/SporTV (brazilian tvs). There is no demand for it, people don't care about it, people don't go to the stadiums to watch it and people don't invest in it (this may not be the case in Canada, USA or Germany).

I think it would be a waste of resources and would not sell well.

TheCloser

Banned
Honestly, if they did this, i would be pissed off. It would be a giant waste of time and resources. Fifa already has enough issues with its gameplay. Fundamental core issues that have not been addressed since fifa on 10 on the ps3. If they wasted time doing this, I would not buy the game. When the gameplay is perfect, then they can spend time worrying about this. Talk about misplaced priorities.

I want it! They could make FIFA Women's World Cup that will be held next year. But I really doubt they will do anything.

Speaking of which, why there's no volleyball game?

Who are you, and why does your inability to name a female player mean it's pointless to give this a try?
Probably a pretty big futbol fan, the actual target audience of the fifa series. If he/she can't even name a single female player the inclusion seems kind of weird, and doesn't benefit anyone but a semi-vocal minority.

The Llama

I want it! They could make FIFA Women's World Cup that will be held next year. But I really doubt they will do anything.

Speaking of which, why there's no volleyball game?

That's actually a really good idea. Make a separate WWC game. Would probably sell well enough to make it worth their time too.

Anticol

Banned
If they add it for free to the current Fifa game, like an additional option, sure why not. But if I have to buy it as a new game or DLC, I will not be interested at all.
In my humble opinion there is no market for it.

I'll be honest, I think from a business perspective they'd be better off polishing up the teams they have and adding some of the missing male domestic leagues like Greece and Japan.

However, I'd love to have a women's side to the game, even if only the women's national teams to start out!

Mory Dunz

I don't think there would be a market for this. Football is typically a male dominant sports around the world.

And more importantly IMO, the majority of the women's national team fans are men anyway...and they're probably already buying FIFA.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They should. Women's Soccer seems to be one of the most popular women's sports (in the US at least) - and it's really only a matter of additional character models.

It's not like there's much else for them to add into the base game.

So fucking wrong. They have been capturing male player motions for years. They would have to capture hundreds of hours of female players motions. Perhaps even create a new fucking engine. The investment in creating a female version of the game would be equal to creating a game for a new sport from scratch or even worse since it would somehow match the quality of the male soccer spot considering the comparisons would be inevitable. There just isn't a demand for the investment.

Fifa (as in the actual Fifa) could sponsor a free standalone DLC for the womens World Cup to promote women football.

Of course they never gonna do this because they prefer to take money over spending it.

I'll be honest, I think from a business perspective they'd be better off polishing up the teams they have and adding some of the missing male domestic leagues like Greece and Japan.

However, I'd love to have a women's side to the game, even if only the women's national teams to start out!

Kinda difficult, since Konami has the deal with them... but certainly it would be great.

They shoud also add more stadiums... or at least improve the generic ones...

I think there's a fair middle ground. You don't need to sink millions into this feature to do it right - the content wouldn't even have to be as encompassing as the main game. Just a side mode focusing on the women's leagues, with accurate rosters, and decently recognizable likenesses. It's foolish to expect an experience on-par with the main game, for a league that isn't aware close to the same scale.
While I'm no game developer, I really doubt the leagues and rosters that are the barrier to entry here, it's likely the player models and game flow logic that require significant development time. EA couldn't just do a palette swap (well, they could, but they'd get horrible PR for it.)

Absolutely do not care, and it would be a huge waste of development money & resources

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't want to see the resources of the team diverted. FIFA 15 is incredible; it's honestly one of the best games I think I've ever played. And if there's even the tiniest of chances that there could be improvements as big as what took place in FIFA 15 coming from FIFA 14, then I want them to be all hands on deck for the next game. Not like I don't respect women's sports, but the FIFA games are something I anticipate pretty heavily each and every year. I don't want anything getting in the way of the game's quality and continued progress.

And a simple tacking on of female players onto the existing male roster without the proper care and attention to detail would be even more insulting. You'd need commentary, you'd need to account for enough leagues and international play, you'd want the uniqueness of the stars to be present and accounted for in the game. If you're going to do it at all, you have to do it right, and that means resources being taken away from the core game. And, no, I'm not someone who doesn't know exactly who the stars in female football are. I know them all.

skalidindi

Neo Member
This petition won't do anything let alone get anywhere close to the 20,000 goal that it set for itself. As many others have pointed out, unless you can show EA that there is a definitive market for women's FIFA (let's not shit ourselves, there isn't), they won't do anything. The amount of money, time and resources going into it would a fucking waste.

This petition won't do anything let alone get anywhere close to the 20,000 goal that it set for itself. As many others have pointed out, unless you can show EA that there is a definitive market for women's FIFA (let's not shit ourselves, there isn't), they won't do anything. The amount of money, time and resources going into it would a fucking waste.

There's definitely a market, just not a big enough one to compromise the quality and progress of the main FIFA game franchise by diverting resources. However, if they can manage to do it in bits and pieces, slowly building up over time while maintaining that quality, then I'd be for it.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Please no. I would rather have them working on improving the base game than spending resources on this. Not many give a shit about this anyway.

I'm sure EA has done some sort of research or inquiries on how well received adding women teams/players to FIFA would be, and they likely found that it would make zero difference to their bottom line or to the game's sales projections. There probably just isn't a market for female sports games.

Cat Party

They put women in the NHL series. They added a few licensed players, and put a few head models into the player creator. Minor investment of time/money. They didn't record new audio or animations. In most respects, it comes across as half-assed. But it can mean the world to little girls.

Very sad how so many of the men/boys on GAF don't seem to care at all. Only thinking about themselves and (for some reason) EA's bottom line. It is definitely a niche, but that's nothing special for GAF.

To those people who proudly announce that they don't know any women players, the FIFA series is where a lot of people learn about players and leagues outside of their own country and area of interest. If they added women into FIFA, guess what? You'd learn about some of them! Amazing how that works.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
EA isn't in the business of social change

Ultimately, the game of football is changing - whilst i don't envisage a unisex league in the next 10 years, there's definitely a sea change in the UK, USA, Germany and Japan where the general public are starting to realise that, gasp, womens football is pretty high standard.

Putting the women's game into Fifa , regardless of any other angles, gains Fifa yet another angle over competitors - the womens game is gathering pace and the inclusion of womens leagues doesn't seem like -that- big of a burden : player modelling aside, you are adding modes that are most likely 1-2 days of xml fiddling to control how the system works. Not sure about commentary but i can't imagine it adds that much $ burden.

This all brings in new players who may not have touched Fifa in the past - EA "not being in the business of social change" or -any- company for that matter taking the same line is largely unlikely to change across the board. Flexibility and adaptability to the market are massively positive traits - wonder if we'll see people morph to the changing climate?

They put women in the NHL series. They added a few licensed players, and put a few head models into the player creator. Minor investment of time/money. They didn't record new audio or animations. In most respects, it comes across as half-assed. But it can mean the world to little girls.

Is there any evidence that adding female characters will interest women/girls? Or even that they care about the women's league (from an entertainment perspective) over the mens' league?

Draxal

I'm sure EA has done some sort of research or inquiries on how well received adding women teams/players to FIFA would be, and they likely found that it would make zero difference to their bottom line or to the game's sales projections. There probably just isn't a market for female sports games.

Tennis video games are crying at this comment.

Ultimately, the game of football is changing - whilst i don't envisage a unisex league in the next 10 years, there's definitely a sea change in the UK, USA, Germany and Japan where the general public are starting to realise that, gasp, womens football is pretty high standard.

Putting the women's game into Fifa , regardless of any other angles, gains Fifa yet another angle over competitors - the womens game is gathering pace and the inclusion of womens leagues doesn't seem like -that- big of a burden : player modelling aside, you are adding modes that are most likely 1-2 days of xml fiddling to control how the system works. Not sure about commentary but i can't imagine it adds that much $ burden.

This all brings in new players who may not have touched Fifa in the past - EA "not being in the business of social change" or -any- company for that matter taking the same line is largely unlikely to change across the board. Flexibility and adaptability to the market are massively positive traits - wonder if we'll see people morph to the changing climate?

Is it really? The WPS folded in 2012 and the NWLS field capacity caps at 3,000 for most teams. Anyway, while I'm not one to force it down EA's throat, it would be cool if they did, but not the end of the world if they didn't.

The NWLS would probably benefit a ton from it.

Sentenza

Ultimately, the game of football is changing - whilst i don't envisage a unisex league in the next 10 years
You won't see it in 100 years either, because separate leagues for different sexes is something that has nothing to do with issues of social perception and everything to do with males and females being extremely uneven in terms of physical capabilities.
That's why pretty much every single sport makes them compete in distinct leagues.

Honestly, a cool new feature like women's team/leagues/etc... is the type of thing market trailers use to disrupt the market and try to displace the market leader. Is Pro Evo up to the task?

Draxal

I also want to state how much the O'Bannon NCAA law suit fucked things up for non revenue sports.

EA probably could have made separate game for collegiate soccer in the States, and added the women college sports team for that game.

This is never going to happen. Sports games, particularly football, are probably the most male-dominated pastimes imaginable. I doubt a lack of women's teams is the barrier.

Mononoke

Banned
Would be all for it. But I think this is an issue of, the sport itself not being very popular. So it might not make sense to make that investment. So on a personal level, sure. That would be great. It would mean more people could play these games and get better representation (and diversity).

Very sad how so many of the men/boys on GAF don't seem to care at all. Only thinking about themselves and (for some reason) EA's bottom line. It is definitely a niche, but that's nothing special for GAF.

To those people who proudly announce that they don't know any women players, the FIFA series is where a lot of people learn about players and leagues outside of their own country and area of interest. If they added women into FIFA, guess what? You'd learn about some of them! Amazing how that works.

Is it really that selfish to want time and resources put towards things that improve the game itself as a whole rather than putting in content that would likely only appeal to a very small minority. Ironically, it's the latter that seems selfish to me.

Think about how many issues are still unresolved in Fifa. The graphics are consistently poor compared to other games. The servers are still crap and even on xbox one there are no dedicated servers for online matches. A lot of players outside of the top 100 players or those who aren't in the top leagues look like generic create-a-players. Stadiums outside of the BPL and a few others look like hastily designed crap. The list just goes on and on.

Dang there is a lot of anger in this thread at the mere suggestion of adding women to the game. I can understand the economic side (although I think a lot of people are just repeating "it would cost too much" without any actual knowledge of the costs involved or the potential market AKA pulling numbers out of their ass) (not that those numbers don't possibly exist somewhere).

But people suggest economically impossible things all damn day long on this message board that don't provoke this kind of reaction. You don't see Sonic fans saying "I would hate it if Sega localized the newest Yakuza game because then they would have less money to spend on Sonic."

Why do you think this suggestion gets this kind of hate, then?

indivisible

Neo Member
Gonna take a lot of time unless its a limited just female game models with no names or generic names. It'd be way easier to add WNBA teams into NBA 2K the fifa rosters are literally world wide i'd imagine a lot of countries have women leagues.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can't name a single character in any anime show, so why bother making anime based video games or continue making anime at all?

That's some pretty awful logic*.

*That's if it can even be called logic at all.

No, it's a sound logic. If anything, you're the one being illogical here.

Anime is a very popular thing, enjoyed by perhaps hundreds of millions around the world. You can't say the same with women football.

Hahaha he's not coming back here. At least not with his integrity intact.

Dang there is a lot of anger in this thread at the mere suggestion of adding women to the game. I can understand the economic side (although I think a lot of people are just repeating "it would cost too much" without any actual knowledge of the costs involved or the potential market AKA pulling numbers out of their ass) (not that those numbers don't possibly exist somewhere).

But people suggest economically impossible things all damn day long on this message board that don't provoke this kind of reaction. You don't see Sonic fans saying "I would hate it if Sega localized the newest Yakuza game because then they would have less money to spend on Sonic."

Why do you think this suggestion gets this kind of hate, then?

You shouldn't beat around the bush and just directly say that people that refused the idea or think it unfeasible as sexist--I mean, it's clear as day that's the angle you're trying to pursue here.

Also, the same reason why Sega wouldn't localize the newest Yakuza game is most likely the same as why EA most likely wouldn't add female soccer in their FIFA games: why bother with so little potential market?

That said, there's nothing *wrong* if EA wants to add female soccer in their FIFA games, but we're here to discuss possible reasons *why* EA most likely wouldn't do that, right?

FuturusX

Hahaha he's not coming back here. At least not with his integrity intact.

That said, there's nothing *wrong* if EA wants to add female soccer in their FIFA games.

Integrity is won and lost in threads on Neogaf each day...great point.

And yes you are right - Nothing *wrong* with EA adding female players and teams to their game.

I think it would be cool. Maybe just have a Women's World Cup mode with a dozen nations or so. Maybe it would make girls more interested in playing FIFA if them and their boyfriend could both play against each other as a women's team. I know I would suggest playing women's mode to my girlfriend
If I had one right now.

EA could then monitor how many games are played and then look to include women's league after a few years or something.

Tagyhag

As someone who watches Women's soccer here and there, it just makes no sense financially to include this.

Yes it would be cool and progressive, but I'd be straight out lying if I said I believe this would bring out an untapped market of hundreds of thousands of female soccer fans.

That and personally, I'd play a few matches and then just switch back to the faster, harder hitting men. It's why most people don't just play the lowest rated teams in the first place.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Integrity is won and lost in threads on Neogaf each day...great point.

And yes you are right - Nothing *wrong* with EA adding female players and teams to their game.

Well, you were caught in a classic pot calling kettle black situation there, so yeah :p

Anyways, yes, nothing *wrong*, but like I said, they most likely wouldn't do that, because of reasons numerous people already stated in here.

I mean, it'd be great if they do it, but pretty unlikely. But we'll see, I guess?

FuturusX

Well, you were caught in a classic pot calling kettle black situation there, so yeah :p

Anyways, yes, nothing *wrong*, but like I said, they most likely wouldn't do that, because of reasons numerous people already stated in here.

I mean, it'd be great if they do it, but pretty unlikely. But we'll see, I guess?

Not really. My point was that very few in here possess intimate knowledge of what it would cost and the requirements and resources needed, that we are ALL guessing (some better than others). Which renders arguments of cost on both sides estimates... I don't profess to know how EA development process works. There was at least one poster in here suggesting that the entire game engine would have to be re-worked - I just feel the barrier lies elsewhere.
Hardly a gotcha...

Having worked on large scale IT and Media projects ( non gaming ) I have a reasonable idea of ways to do it and save on cost. (Yes that's a clue at my experience - now I have to kill you all)

Regarding the chances of seeing this happen - Never say say never:

It was done in NHL - http://www.ea.com/news/female-players-join-the-nhl-13-roster

Who knows. FIFA is already King and there is little demand for it....so yeah probably not.

You shouldn't beat around the bush and just directly say that people that refused the idea or think it unfeasible as sexist--I mean, it's clear as day that's the angle you're trying to pursue here.

Also, the same reason why Sega wouldn't localize the newest Yakuza game is most likely the same as why EA most likely wouldn't add female soccer in their FIFA games: why bother with so little potential market?

That said, there's nothing *wrong* if EA wants to add female soccer in their FIFA games, but we're here to discuss possible reasons *why* EA most likely wouldn't do that, right?

If you'll read my post again you'll see that I'm fine with people saying that it doesn't make financial sense, although it would be nice if more people used actual numbers instead of just treating it as a foregone conclusion. What I was pointing out was the anger accompanying some of those assertions that the market doesn't exist, saying "I would be so pissed off if they did this" or "it would be a waste of money." What I'm pointing out is that while in other economically unfeasible suggestions like Yakuza, people will make the same arguments that it would cost too much or would lose money, they do so without the anger, and often with sympathy.

Mory Dunz

As someone who watches Women's soccer here and there, it just makes no sense financially to include this.

Yes it would be cool and progressive, but I'd be straight out lying if I said I believe this would bring out an untapped market of hundreds of thousands of female soccer fans.

That and personally, I'd play a few matches and then just switch back to the faster, harder hitting men. It's why most people don't just play the lowest rated teams in the first place.

Quickly, well if the women were in their own confined game, I assume the stats would be relative to them. So Alex Morgan would be a 90 and not a 40. It'd be weird to have them scaled to the men. The game would be bad to play.

But yeah, as I've mentioned, I watch women's soccer. People are firstly assuming:

1) That most of women's soccer fans are women/girls. They're not. Especially the more hardcore fans who could name starting lineups in a game for example. They're guys. Discussions about USA games, whether in ESPN comments, USA website, in person, or anywhere really, are mostly dominated by males. Guys who probably already play FIFA if they play soccer games.

Now, that's not to say the ratio of female viewers to men of soccer is not higher in in the women's game. It definitely is. However, it's hard to extrapolate sales potential from that.

FuturusX

“The EA SPORTS NHL franchise took a big step last year by including female characters to create a more inclusive experience for female hockey fans,” said Hayley Wickenheiser. “I’m excited to be a part of NHL 13 and hope that the addition of women’s hockey legends will encourage greater participation in hockey from young women everywhere.”

Well perhaps there is hope....in EA we trust. There I was thinking it wasn't their job to push agendas.

Top Bottom