• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per Month

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178294

Perlman also revealed a price point for the service's monthly fee: $14.95. This is the month-to-month rate -- different pricing options will be available for people who sign up for longer term commitments. He also mentioned that the first 25,000 people to register for the service will get the first three months of charges waived. However, it was a bit unclear as to what the service fee would buy you -- it's obviously access to OnLive and to all of its features (gamer tag, friends, spectator viewing, free demos, etc.), but in terms of the actual games there will be charges for buying and renting them, and we don't yet know what those rates will be.

So $15 for 1 month and cheaper if you buy a yearly subscription.

I think I'll probably try it out for a month just to see if I like it.

mbmonk

I might try it out for one month just to see how well it works, but I can't imagine doing a long term subscription currently.

VideoMan said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178294

So $15 for 1 month and cheaper if you buy a yearly subscription.

I think I'll probably try it out for a month just to see if I like it.

As stated in the other thread, this pricing makes NO sense. You are paying $15 for the service, however much for the actual equipment, then you are paying "competitive prices" if you choose to buy the game. The problem is you must be online to play the games you purchase AND if you choose to pay the monthly fee at a point you lose access to the games you did purchase. Preposterous if you ask me. The ONLY way I would EVER consider using it is if they had an amazing library of games and the cost for rentals were equivalent to that of Blockbuster or something where you have access for a week at like $6 a pop. Even then, just GameFly.

One thing that was unclear is when the actual OnLive MicroConsole (the box you plug into your TV) will available -- the June 17th launch only refers to the service being up and running for PCs and Macs. And in terms of when the service hits in the rest of the world, Perlman says that more details will be available later this year.

So they're launching the service before the hardware?

Edeuinu

I'd pay $15/mo for this again...

SEGA_CHANNEL_1jpg.JPG

OnLive, prob not. :D

Did they say how much the rentals would be? I'm assuming $15 doesn't give me perpetual access to every game in their library, even if that's what it would take to interest me.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
LovingSteam said:
As stated in the other thread, this pricing makes NO sense. You are paying $15 for the service, however much for the actual equipment, then you are paying "competitive prices" if you choose to buy the game. The problem is you must be online to play the games you purchase AND if you choose to pay the monthly fee at a point you lose access to the games you did purchase. Preposterous if you ask me. The ONLY way I would EVER consider using it is if they had an amazing library of games and the cost for rentals were equivalent to that of Blockbuster or something where you have access for a week at like $6 a pop. Even then, just GameFly.
Wait, I thought it was one price for all-you-can-eat games. Are you saying you have to pay extra per game? If that's the case then forget it.

What will the hardware cost? Box and controller or whatever else may be required? If these are minimal charges (they should be free) then I will sign up early to try and get the first 3 months waived

Aselith

Wait so it's $15 a month and you have to pay more to get the full version of games? Bahahahaha :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Good luck in your failure, Onlive.

lockload

VideoMan said:
Wait, I thought it was one price for all-you-can-eat games. Are you saying you have to pay extra per game? If that's the case then forget it.

Yes you need to pay to rent/buy the games on top

jlevel13

VideoMan said:

Did you not even read your own OP?!?

Ridiculous, how can they expect people to pay $15 a month and then buy their games separately?

Should've been $20-25 a month with free rentals and an option to buy games as a download (to your local system)

PSGames

Aselith said:
Wait so it's $15 a month and you have to pay more to get the full version of games? Bahahahaha :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Good luck in your failure, Onlive.

How in the world do you expect them to give games away for $15 a month? Use common sense.

ATF487

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ridiculous, how can they expect people to pay $15 a month and then buy their games separately?

Should've been $20-25 a month with free rentals and an option to buy games as a download (to your local system)

Yep. I'd pay 25-30 dollars a month for a gametap like scenario

They are going to have offer some really good long term subscription deals to get people on GAF to subscribe. At least they should have an option where you pay $20 -$25 a month and get 4 free rentals (each a week duration). I guess we will find out soon. But as far as I'm concerned, I'll pass.

Edit:
ATF487 said:
Yep. I'd pay 25-30 dollars a month for a gametap like scenario

I totally forgot about GameTap.

jlevel13 said:
Did you not even read your own OP?!?
:lol :lol :lol

Yes, as others have said, the games are not included. Do you HONESTLY think the publishers who charge $50-60 a pop for their games and who want to get rid of the used game market would sign up for their games to be played by EVERYONE for a $15 monthly charge to OnLive?!?! They didn't say how much rentals/ purchases would cost other then it would be competitively priced. I am guessing $5-7 for a rental that lasts 5-7 days and retail price for purchasing the game. The $15 is simply the cost of the service, think of Xbox Live but a lot more expensive.

PSGames said:
How in the world do you expect them to give games away for $15 a month? Use common sense.
Well I hope they have some worth while freebies, it's a ton of money to pay imo and then having to pay most probably full price per title.

LovingSteam said:

And there lies the potential success of OnLive. OnLive is a service where you can rent games where the money actually goes to the publishers. In a world where companies are trying to kill the rental business (a business which was killed long ago for PC gaming), I find it reassuring that a new legit way of renting games is emerging.

Compared to $8/month for Xbox Live Gold (1-month sub to 1-month sub) it's actually not bad for what you're getting.

Of course I'd wager that the overlap between people that complain about the price of Gold is going to be 98% of those who will complain about OnLive.

If they can provide an attractive all-you-can-eat cost.. it'll be sweet!

lockload

At least if i buy a game on steam i know it will be there in a few years time and obviously i can play it on the move on my laptop without an internet connection ill stick with that

TouchMyBox said:
And there lies the potential success of OnLive. OnLive is a service where you can rent games where the money actually goes to the publishers. In a world where companies are trying to kill the rental business (a business which was killed long ago for PC gaming), I find it reassuring that a new legit way of renting games is emerging.

Yes, thats the point. The only one that this benefits is OnLive and the publishers, NOT the customers. Realize this is ONLY PC games. Meaning you won't find the console exclusives like GoW3, Halo, etc. These are the PC games such as Crysis, Stalker, Metro 2033. Why in God's green earth would someone pay $15 a month only to have to pay MORE to actually rent or purchase a game. If you purchase a game you only have access to it as long as you are paying the $15 a month. Again, how does this benefit the consumer?

Omar Ismail said:
Compared to $8/month for Xbox Live Gold (1-month sub to 1-month sub) it's actually not bad for what you're getting.

Of course I'd wager that the overlap between people that complain about the price of Gold is going to be 98% of those who will complain about OnLive.

If they can provide an attractive all-you-can-eat cost.. it'll be sweet!

For the price of 2 months on OnLive you can find a year subscription of Live on sale a few times during the year. For the price of 3 months of OnLive you can get a year subscription of Live throughout the year. How is this not bad in comparison?

Aselith

PSGames said:

They stream it to you. Isn't that the hook on this service? It's not like you get the game forever (as far as I know), you pay your money and then you play it through their service only for as long as you're a subscriber. If $15 isn't enough to allow unlimited streaming then they should have adjusted the monthly rate.

People aren't going to pay $15 so that they can pay $30 for a game when there are MUCH better options available. This business model is busted straight up. If they can't price their service competitively then they are going to fail.

-viper-

Banned
$15 a month PLUS additional money for extra games? You could probably justify such a price if games were available to play for free (rental style), but wow. All that needs to be said is:

wtf+is+this+shit+piccard.jpg

ascii42

D4Danger said:
$15 a month to play the game you bought?

yeah, no.
That's not horrible if you consider you don't need to worry about upgrading your computer. The games will run like you have the newest hardware. With that said, I don't play PC games nearly often enough to justify this for myself.

mr_nothin

Banned
How is this expensive?
$15 a MONTH plus lowered (hopefully by a lot) game prices and you get to play them with graphics that most wish they could have. No extra videocard/powersupplies/etc needed. It's $15 for a whole month.

Turfster

Don't forget you'll be able to play your overpriced games with awesome latency and in glorious badly compressed 480p (if your connection can hack the constant 1.5Mbps you need for it, that is).
I'll pass, thanks.

LovingSteam said:
Yes, thats the point. The only one that this benefits is OnLive and the publishers, NOT the customers. Realize this is ONLY PC games. Meaning you won't find the console exclusives like GoW3, Halo, etc. These are the PC games such as Crysis, Stalker, Metro 2033. Why in God's green earth would someone pay $15 a month only to have to pay MORE to actually rent or purchase a game. If you purchase a game you only have access to it as long as you are paying the $15 a month. Again, how does this benefit the consumer?

I think all of this relates to the "disposable" nature of games these days.

Assuming we don't know the price of the yearly script fee, I am going with say... $20 off the normal $180 if paid month by month. For another year of investment, you have a Playstation 3 for life and an greatest hits title. This makes no sense, seeing that you are paying just to have a box in your home...that $180 fee doesn't include any kind of games, just the capability.

I would have used the 360 as an example with the arcade unit for $200, but at that point with RRoD's, you are better going with on-live. :|

Top Bottom