• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

I love this little trickle of bad news leading up to the PSV release - it's almost like Sony don't want their system to succeed.

Sony is copying Nintendo, all the 3ds bad news lead the 3ds to outsold the ds in record time>
Sony believe Vita will do the same :)

Kyoufu

I'm still excited for the launch but Sony are doing their best to make the system look less and less appealing.

It's going to be a rough first year for the system...

Durante

Don't worry guys, this is just leading up to the announcement of Vita allowing you to access any region's store from any account! I'm sure of it!

Not

Corto

I'll stick with my Ipad 2.

-doesn't have buttons
-doesn't have Sony first party exclusives
-no removable battery
-no OLED screen

Every device has its compromises. What it's fair for you to accept in one device could be a deal breaker for another user. I'll stick with my Vita.

If you like the games on Vita, get a Vita. If you don't, don't.

Why do people have to be so attached to their shitty companies?

The double-standards bug the hell out of me too. 3DS is region locked, but since it is made by Nintendo, it's okay. Vita is region free, but now since you can only have one account on a system, it's a piece of shit. Okay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So this makes the Vita functionally region-locked with respect to digital content. Hmm. Unfortunate.

Not really unexpected. You have to bend over backwards to use region-locked/"region free" PSN games on the PSP1. Though that bending over backwards is having to retype in the account information for whatever account your using but yeah...

Durante

What does this even have to do with this thread? I like the games on Vita, and I'd like to be able to buy them digitally from all over the world :/

The double-standards bug the hell out of me too. 3DS is region locked, but since it is made by Nintendo, it's okay. Vita is region free, but now since you can only have one account on a system, it's a piece of shit. Okay.
It's a major reason I'm not buying a 3DS. There are multiple different people on GAF!

Kyoufu

I don't know who is in charge of the firmware and what it can do, but it's poor form. Sure, it has great features like in-game screenshots/streaming and cross-game chat, but the best part of PS3 was the freedom with multiple accounts.

I suppose we'll have to format the system but it's mightily inconvenient.

No one said its ok for 3DS to be region locked :0

Its shitty for vita because of all the little bad news that is coming out .
Also shitty because when people think region free, they will think every thing in one account under one memory stick .

I don't think changing memory card allows you to change account. You can still boot the Vita up without a card in it, so it stores your account information on the internal memory I guess...

just in case it writes information in a special way. i wonder how it'll affect DLC saved to game cards?

I'm tempted to tweet Yoshida about this but it probably won't do any good if the decision has already been made.

ugh. i wasn't sure what the big deal was (past gamehsaring) till stump's post, then jett brought up something even worse. i honestly can't put it past sony to do just that next gen, too.

As stupid as this is I don't think they would do that. It would be ridiculous after the PS3 having multiple accounts and unless MS did it too they would be deliberately gimping themselves compared to the competition. There's only one friend code per 3DS (right?) so they're not offering less than the competition in the portable space.

Roto13

Just so I know if I am keeping score right, and please tell me if I am wrong, but the PSP Vita currently has:

- Locked at 1 account
- Expensive proprietary memory cards
- Low battery life (Under 6 hours for a handheld)
- Capped downloads over 3G
- 3G that requires AT&T
- No free backwards compatibility with PSP disk games
- Doesn't support Video out
- No removable battery

I'm still tempted to pre-order so I am really hopping I'm wrong about some of these assumptions.

It seems like every bit of news about the Vita is bad news. This is particularly bullshit. I have four PSN accounts from three different regions and they all have PSP games.

I don't think changing memory card allows you to change account. You can still boot the Vita up without a card in it, so it stores your account information on the internal memory I guess...

well just for neatness, have 2 mem card each with different region content, when you want to switch account, take out the mem stick, factory restore to different account region, then put in the memstick with that region.

although I think you can just use 1 mem stick and store game from all region in there.

edit: btw, on psp, to switch account you only need to log off than log in with different account, but if you connect it to PS3, the PS3 will automatically switch the region account of your PSP. so there's still chance that Vita is the same that when you connect it to PS3, it will automatically change Vita account without factory reset

GJS

-doesn't have buttons
-doesn't have Sony first party exclusives
-no removable battery
-no OLED screen

Every device has its compromises. What it's fair for you to accept in one device could be a deal breaker for another user. I'll stick with my Vita.

Vita doesn't have a removable battery either, after all the Pandora battery stuff I can't imagine Sony changing their mind.

well just for neatness, have 2 mem card each with different region content, when you want to switch account, take out the mem stick, factory restore to different account region, then put in the memstick with that region.

although I think you can just use 1 mem stick and store game from all region in there.

sounds convenient...

I'm tempted to tweet Yoshida about this but it probably won't do any good if the decision has already been made.

As stupid as this is I don't think they would do that. It would be ridiculous after the PS3 having multiple accounts and unless MS did it too they would be deliberately gimping themselves compared to the competition. There's only one friend code per 3DS (right?) so they're not offering less than the competition in the portable space.

can it be fixed with a firmware update? we should tweet spam him lol.

I honestly think it won't since he confirmed that it would be one account like the PSP long ago.

what's unfortunate though is that they added the restore to factory setting as a step if you want to change accounts. :/

What does this even have to do with this thread? I like the games on Vita, and I'd like to be able to buy them digitally from all over the world :/

It's a major reason I'm not buying a 3DS. There are multiple different people on GAF!

Sorry, I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit drunk atm--- but to be honest, I'm 50/50 annoyed at Sony for releasing bad news (period) since the amazing price announcement, and at game players for fucking freaking out over EVERY LITTLE THING (especially those that concern VERY FEW PEOPLE).

I think the 3DS and the Vita both have a chance to have some quality games--- I'm a gamer, after all, which means I like games. Period. I have a 3DS (with sharp bottom pegs) and I am picking up my Vita in two weeks (with obscenely priced memory card). Viva la gaming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also shitty because when people think region free, they will think every thing in one account under one memory stick .

I presume that will still be the case if you import physical copies of games. You'll be able to play JPN games on a US account, right?

This really pertains to 'digital imports' which is another layer on top.

I think I'll be keeping things simple and any imports I do will be on game cards.

How much will you lose in a system format, though? If it's just things like your wallpaper and wifi settings I could perhaps be occasionally tempted.

It seems like every bit of news about the Vita is bad news. This is particularly bullshit. I have four PSN accounts from three different regions and they all have PSP games.

Wikipedia says that the Vita is going to be region free. Won't that help?

Vita doesn't have a removable battery either, after all the Pandora battery stuff I can't imagine Sony changing their mind.
I thought about posting a reply but he has good points. Each system has it's ups and downs. Besides my reply would have been that the Ipad 2 has 2 buttons and that's just being petty.

Rolf NB

Yes. But PSN content though region free is account locked.
On PSP yes, it is. On PS3, no, you can play content from any region on any account. You only need the "right" account to make the purchase and initiate the download.

Any clarification on Vita?

Benedict

On PSP yes, it is. On PS3, no, you can play content from any region on any account. You only need the "right" account to make the purchase and initiate the download.

No. for instance Bioshock 2 DLC from US does not work on my EU copy of Bioshock 2.

I honestly think it won't since he confirmed that i would be one account like the PSP long ago.

what's unfortunate though is that they added the restore to factory setting as a step if you want to change accounts. :/

I really think you can skip those step via PS3. what are they gonna do? make a special check whether your PS3 account is the same as Vita account and then deny access if it's not the same?

But I should be able to hold all region specific games and DLC on diffirent cards. Just change the card after format and theres all the right games for the right account.

gogogow

Doesn't this only mean that you can't buy content from a different region ON your Vita?

If you want to play content from a different region you have to sync your device with that account on the PS3. So it might still work for Vita, if Sony didn't change that, that is. If it works, you better make up your mind which games you wanna take out on that day, so you sync it first.

No. for instance Bioshock 2 DLC from US does not work on my EU copy of Bioshock 2.

most DLC nowadays need to be matched with the game disc region. but you can download dlc through EU store, then login with US PSN and have access to those DLC since it's already installed on your PS3. it's not always this way, Dead Space 1 dlc is free region.

Wonder if I can use my main PS3/PSP account, a US one, on my JPN Vita? If so then that's not too bad as I can still earn trophies to that account, if not I'm just going to have to make another new one.

Just so I know if I am keeping score right, and please tell me if I am wrong, but the PSP Vita currently has:

- Locked at 1 account
- 3G that requires AT&T
- No removable battery

I'm still tempted to pre-order so I am really hopping I'm wrong about some of these assumptions.

Yay, let's all freak out over every single negative instead of considering the stream of positives too.

Grimmy

Banned
I'm one of the people who is most vocal about the region-lock issue, but seriously, this is a minor problem at best. I never had more than one PSN account, as I never really needed to, and I don't have a PS3 so apart from downloading some PSN PSP games, I barely use it.

Kyoufu

This won't be too bad if we can download content from other region stores via PC or PS3 and play them on our main Vita accounts.

Unless of course, Sony only allows Vita to run digital games tied to the account active. <--- this is what we really need confirmation on.

Roto13

Wikipedia says that the Vita is going to be region free. Won't that help?

I thought about posting a reply but he has good points. Each system has it's ups and downs. Besides my reply would have been that the Ipad 2 has 2 buttons and that's just being petty.

How would that help? Half of my games won't work on my Vita. Some of them I can't buy again on my North American account, even if I thought that was a reasonable requirement.

gogogow

What positives?I am serious , what positives?Games? I missed something?

- Powerful portable HW
- Price
- Region free gaming
- Dual sticks
- 5 inch OLED screen

At the end of day it depends what you find more important. Does the positives outweighs the negatives?

- Locked at 1 account
- 3G that requires AT&T
- No removable battery

todog

This will probably affect the UMD passport program as the registered UMD games will have to be downloaded from PSN (UMD region dependent probably) :(

Curufinwe

Io nly ever used my New Zealand PSN account to get a demo on Wipeout Pulse on my PSP and I didn't anticipate using it all on the Vita. But this is still bad news. You never know what content is going to be kept off your home PSN's store.

M3d10n

It might not be a big deal if:

1) Nothing really important is stored in the system itself (either on the PSN account or the memory cards).
2) Memory cards can store data from multiple accounts.
3) The format process is fast enough.

And I believe iOS devices work the same way, no? You can only ever have one account in the system and switching requires a format, doesn't it?

Now, thinking again #2 makes me worried... it would be epic-level douchebaggery if memory cards must be "linked" to specific accounts.

I really think you can skip those step via PS3. what are they gonna do? make a special check whether your PS3 account is the same as Vita account and then deny access if it's not the same?

In terms of connecting the vita to your ps3 i wouldn't be surprised tbh if it does exactly that.

I presume that will still be the case if you import physical copies of games. You'll be able to play JPN games on a US account, right?

This really pertains to 'digital imports' which is another layer on top.

I think I'll be keeping things simple and any imports I do will be on game cards.

How much will you lose in a system format, though? If it's just things like your wallpaper and wifi settings I could perhaps be occasionally tempted.

Well it did say factory so i would assume all you've listed is on the chopping block (date and time also).

Aeana

Uhhhhhhh....
One of the main reasons I'm buying a Vita is so I can play Ys Celceta, and I was going to download it from PSN. ....Jeez.

Top Bottom