• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 17% of most Xbox 360 titles are ‘FPS/TPS’

Slavik81

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why? Shitty games are part of the library too. And in fact, there are plenty of shitty shooters that get released. You have to count them ALL to get an accurate assessment.
Because the games not worth playing are irrelevent. What's the point in using these numbers if you make them useless by counting games nobody wants to play?

Dave Long

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
You just summed up 50% or higher of ALL GAMES. Hell, Duck Hunt fits that category.
Certainly shooting stuff is a tried and true way to allow players to interact, but when you combine that first 17% with the titles I picked out, it does up the percentage of games that all kind of play the same.

I think that's what's at the heart of the matter when people say 360 is all shooters. Also, the highest profile games are almost always the ones with the guns and if not, they're also rated M (like Oblivion for example...). You really only have to look at the popularity of the genres on 360 via sales and you can see what's favored. Other than sports games and the occasional racing title, it's the system for shooters.

Considering how many PC gamers migrated to an Xbox platform, that's not surprising.

Gattsu25 said:
duck hunt is a light guin game

light gun games = shooters but don't IMO fall under FPS/TPS

My point exactly. Just because you "shoot things" it doesn't make the game a FPS/TPS. I think we're grasping at straws in here.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning in here people are trying to put on these numbers. Face it, his list is a little flawed. Some games are in categories they shouldn't be. But there isn't enough error to completely change the findings. The Xbox 360, while having a lot of POPULAR shooters isn't just a "shooter box" anymore. But what am I saying? Carry on GAF.

fronn

I think the more important and interesting % would be the % of the high profile titles that are racing, shooters, etc. That's what inevitably gives the impression about a system -- most games don't get advertised very much... certainly not on the level of gears, for example.

ex0du5

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
MGS4 and GTAIV = shooters confirmed.

I consider MGS4 and GTAIV shooters. Not considering them shooters is like not considering Oblivion an RPG (which I don't >_<).

Slavik81 said:
Because the games not worth playing are irrelevent. What's the point in using these numbers if you make them useless by counting games nobody wants to play?

What you find worth playing and I find worth playing is very subjective. You have to look at the library as a whole. There is no other way to compare it really, and to take titles out jusbe because you think they aren't worth playing is kind of silly.

For instance, someone could say "The only games worth playing are first person shooters". Well, what do you know, the 360 has 100% of it's library as FPS. Never mind the good sports, driving, or role playing games.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ex0du5 said:
I consider MGS4 and GTAIV shooters. Not considering them shooters is like not considering Oblivion an RPG (which I don't >_<).

is it... a shooter?

so if we're using the "only count games that sell and are high profile" logic, that means the Wii is a minigame console with the exception of Zelda, and that the PS3 and PSP do in fact have no games?

ex0du5

Banned
soul creator said:
so if we're using the "only count games that sell and are high profile" logic, that means the Wii is a minigame console with the exception of Zelda, and that the PS3 and PSP do in fact have no games?

I'd say you should count exclusives only...doesn't matter if they're high profile or not.

Slavik81

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What you find worth playing and I find worth playing is very subjective. You have to look at the library as a whole. There is no other way to compare it really, and to take titles out jusbe because you think they aren't worth playing is kind of silly.

Could you not say that about game reviews? Shouldn't every game be unrated because the score will be different for everybody? How can you say a game is bad if somebody else likes it?

GAF complains about every little fucking detail. I bet most of you don't even play games. You just come on here to bitch about shit you've never played.

C4Lukins

So by some of the logic in here, Halo 3, GTA 4, Chromehounds, and Gears of War are all essentially the same type of game. I mean your killing stuff right? With projectiles! I cannot wait for Fable 2 and Mass Effect to get added to the Shooters list. If only Mario Sunshine was a 360 game we could add another one. And what is Oblvion doing under RPGs?

angelfly

EverSoTrendy said:
GAF complains about every little fucking detail. I bet most of you don't even play games. You just come on here to bitch about shit you've never played.

superpapermario.jpg

jrricky

Banned
bryehn said:
If you count Paper Mario on Wii, you should count ALL downloadable titles.
Is that a jab or are you being ignorant?

If latter, I hate to say this,but um....Paper Mario is on the Wii as a cd based game called Super Paper Mario....um, yeah.

Steroyd

JdFoX187 said:
I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning in here people are trying to put on these numbers. Face it, his list is a little flawed. Some games are in categories they shouldn't be. But there isn't enough error to completely change the findings. The Xbox 360, while having a lot of POPULAR shooters isn't just a "shooter box" anymore. But what am I saying? Carry on GAF.

How can you say that when there's no comparison to the Xbox.

Hell i'm pissed off as it is with the amount of FPS/TPS out/announced for PS3.

Ranger X

Is this thread a tool for future trolling?

Do i notice that the 360 still is the console with the most FPS/TPS therefore validating the impression we get from many?

Gattsu25

Banned
Grayman said:
no just at the idea. Duck hunt is played from first person, just you can't move.
I think the movement from the first person perspective is integral to what makes a game a FPS title much in the same way that including stats and levels doesn't make any random game an RPG

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm more disgusted that nearly 40% of the 360 library is sports games (if you include racing, which you should)

Slavik81 said:
Could you not say that about game reviews? Shouldn't every game be unrated because the score will be different for everybody? How can you say a game is bad if somebody else likes it?

Review scores are very subjective. That's the nature of reviews. Everyone has an opinion. But in this case, you're saying we should take bad games off the list so that we can get a more accurate count of the % of shooters, which is just dumb. You need to look at the % of shooters vs. the library as a whole, or it doesn't really mean anything. There is just no logical reason to remove ANY games from the list when you are evaluating the library as a whole.

The more I think about it, Duck Hunt really is a FPS! :lol The NES is the true shooter system!

dionysus

Yaldog
Chairman Yang said:
I'm more disgusted that nearly 40% of the 360 library is sports games (if you include racing, which you should)

What library isn't under those conditions? Please don't include consoles out less than a year.

Link316

Banned
but what's the % when you go by the type of games that sell on the 360? that's probably where the FPS/TPS rep is coming from

Slavik81

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Review scores are very subjective. That's the nature of reviews. Everyone has an opinion. But in this case, you're saying we should take bad games off the list so that we can get a more accurate count of the % of shooters, which is just dumb. You need to look at the % of shooters vs. the library as a whole, or it doesn't really mean anything. There is just no logical reason to remove ANY games from the list when you are evaluating the library as a whole.

As it stands, the library as a whole is not being evaluated. I think that while the library as a whole would be a useful statistic, so should a more subjectively picked list (or a set of lists) from which to draw a more useful statistic.

After all, the measurements made will ultimately be something subjective. It's not as if you can definatively pick a genre for many games. No matter what you do, the list will be subjective.

Link316 said:
but what's the % when you go by the type of games that sell on the 360? that's probably where the FPS/TPS rep is coming from

I guess so, even though that's kind of a weird complaint. Every PS2 game didn't exactly set the charts ablaze, but it obviously had a ton of variety. Like someone said earlier, when a customer goes to see what types of games are available for a system, they look at every game - not just some arbitrary like "exclusives" or "games that have a review score of higher than 93%". I doubt they have a printout of the most recent NPD results with them.

Slavik81 said:
As it stands, the library as a whole is not being evaluated. I think that while the library as a whole would be a useful statistic, so should a more subjectively picked list (or a set of lists) from which to draw a more useful statistic.

After all, the measurements made will ultimately be something subjective. It's not as if you can definatively pick a genre for many games. No matter what you do, the list will be subjective.

How is the library as a whole not being evaluated? The list looks like someone took a fairly recent date and started putting ALL THE AVAILABLE 360 games into categories. So how is that not evaluating the library as a whole?

Now granted, obviously there are some games that straddle a line between genres or may be somewhat mislabeled, but for the most part they're in the right spots. As mentioned earlier, Tomb Raider has shooting elements in it, but it isn't a shooter. Personally, while I saw a few games in odd categories, I didn't see any that would be moved to the "shooter" category per se, although you could make a case for something like Full Auto, which is a shooter/driver, but it has to go somewhere. Action/Adventure doesn't quite seem right. I'd likely lump in with driving, but that's just me. I could see it going with shooter.

The point is, up until a specific date, this is a list of everything that is available on the system, and for the most part, things are grouped the way they should be. By dropping games out of the list arbitrarily, you skew the numbers.

Ah well, I've probably spent too much time in this thread the way it is, as obviously we're not going to convince each other of anything, so take it for what it's worth.

bryehn

jrricky said:
Is that a jab or are you being ignorant?

If latter, I hate to say this,but um....Paper Mario is on the Wii as a cd based game called Super Paper Mario....um, yeah.

He included Super Paper Mario & Paper Mario on the Wii RPG list. Two completely different games.

Banned
soul creator said:
I guess so, even though that's kind of a weird complaint. Every PS2 game didn't exactly set the charts ablaze, but it obviously had a ton of variety. Like someone said earlier, when a customer goes to see what types of games are available for a system, they look at every game - not just some arbitrary like "exclusives" or "games that have a review score of higher than 93%". I doubt they have a printout of the most recent NPD results with them.
No, but they probably remember what games MS shove down their throats with marketing.

it's hard to not have a shooter image when the big games you always market to the mainstream are stuff like GRAW,HALO,GOW, R6, Call of Duty, etc etc...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
dionysus said:
What library isn't under those conditions? Please don't include consoles out less than a year.

Most are, which is why it's not a big deal to me. I was just surprised that people apparently bitch about shooters when sports is more prevalent.

beerbelly

Banned
frankthurk said:
About 55% give or take a bunch since the data seems like it's mostly guesstimates.

And? This just means the games are there but most of the whiners who complained about too many shooters are still not jumping in.

No, but they probably remember what games MS shove down their throats with marketing.

it's hard to not have a shooter image when the big games you always market to the mainstream are stuff like GRAW,HALO,GOW, R6, Call of Duty, etc etc...

so now we've successfully moved the goalposts to "shooters on 360 get too many marketing dollars" :lol

BboyDubC

Ranger X said:
Is this thread a tool for future trolling?

Do i notice that the 360 still is the console with the most FPS/TPS therefore validating the impression we get from many?

Wow, GAF is a bunch of idiots, CONFIRMED. 360 has the most GAMES period. Or did you miss the fact that it has almost 3 times the number of games of PS3, and almost double that of Wii? Freakin morons... and this thread brought them all out en masse. "don't count games I dont like... 100% FPS confirmed!111!!1" "dont count games that didnt sell in teh month of may" "dont count games that are multiplatform (idiots overlooking the fact that almost all the shooters are multiplat for both PS3 and Wii unless they came out before the two systems existed)". This thread should be locked and deleted to hide the idiocy of GAFfers.

beerbelly said:
And? This just means the games are there but most of the whiners who complained about too many shooters are still not jumping in.

Derive your own conclusions based upon your own personal bias.

beerbelly

Banned
frankthurk said:
Derive your own conclusions based upon your own personal bias.

From the same site:

PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 games that have sold more than one million copies.

* Resistance: Fall of Man (2 million)[95]

* MotorStorm (1 million)[96]

50% of PS3 gamers bought at least 1 FPS. Derive your own conclusions based upon your own personal bias. :lol

beerbelly said:
From the same site:

PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 games that have sold more than one million copies.

* Resistance: Fall of Man (2 million)[95]

* MotorStorm (1 million)[96]

50% of PS3 gamers bought at least 1 FPS. Derive your own conclusions based upon your own personal bias. :lol

Mine: the PS3 needs more damn games and Resistance rules.

Ranger X

BboyDubC said:
Wow, GAF is a bunch of idiots, CONFIRMED. 360 has the most GAMES period. Or did you miss the fact that it has almost 3 times the number of games of PS3, and almost double that of Wii? Freakin morons... and this thread brought them all out en masse. "don't count games I dont like... 100% FPS confirmed!111!!1" "dont count games that didnt sell in teh month of may" "dont count games that are multiplatform (idiots overlooking the fact that almost all the shooters are multiplat for both PS3 and Wii unless they came out before the two systems existed)". This thread should be locked and deleted to hide the idiocy of GAFfers.

I don't care about the total of games. If one console had 3 games and one was an FPS it means 33% of its games are FPS. This means its the console where there's the more FPS games. It's the percentage that interests me. The more the library of all consoles will growth, the more that percentage will show a tendency if ever there would really be one.

You know what's GAF idiocy? It's people like you taking post like my last one all wrong and sounding all offended or like i rang the fanboy bell. Another clue for your my buddy: My last post was also humoristic. But you always have to explain yourself in this board full of geniuses i guess.

Ranger X said:
I don't care about the total of games. If one console had 3 games and one was an FPS it means 33% of its games are FPS. This means its the console where there's the more FPS games. It's the percentage that interests me. The more the library of all consoles will growth, the more that percentage will show a tendency if ever there would really be one.

You know what's GAF idiocy? It's people like you taking post like my last one all wrong and sounding all offended or like i rang the fanboy bell. Another clue for your my buddy: My last post was also humoristic. But you always have to explain yourself in this board full of geniuses i guess.

if we're going by percentage, doesn't that also disprove the "360 is primarily a shooter system" as well? It seems like sports games and "action/adventure" are the ones with the highest percentage. *shrug*

Top Bottom