• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono tweets picture of Deep Down running on PS4

Orayn

I'm expecting Capcom to come short of a video running "real-time" when it comes to gameplay. No way the animation will be that good.

Well, the animation is more of a gameplay vs. non-interactive demo thing, not necessarily hardware.

Xpliskin

It's easy to determine if he's lieing or not:

Compare the posted screenshot with the trailer, see if any of the frames match the posted screenshot (assuming it's not a screenshot of unused trailer footage)

I'm expecting Capcom to come short of a video running "real-time" when it comes to gameplay. No way the animation will be that good.

The animation can absolutely be that good. Capcom is very much one of the companies that's willing to give up player control for animation priority. Look at the Monster Hunter games. They're built entirely around that concept. Now the animation there obviously isn't as advanced (which isn't surprising since it's still heavily based on PS2 tech), but it shows that they aren't afraid of going that route. We don't see that type of high quality animation because companies are afraid to take control away from the player.

I don't see what's so impressive in the demo, two NPC's, one dragon and enclosed environment. Yea the animations are all mo-capped and won't be that good in game for sure (except for the dragon)

Violater

Violater why can't you just be excited? It won't kill you.

Lol from fucking team CG no way I am agreeing with you nut cases.
It's easy to determine if he's lieing or not:

Compare the posted screenshot with the trailer, see if any of the frames match the posted screenshot (assuming it's not a screenshot of unused trailer footage)

Have at it, looks like a blurry screenshot to me.
It could be running on the PS4 now, but does it look as good as what was shown onstage?

sn00zer

Fuck.... I really thought it was just an average looking CG video.... didnt think it was realtime....im impressed

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, if you look at what Capcom has done with realtime cutscenes this generation it really shouldn't be too surprising. They've produced some of the most impressive examples of in-game cinema this generation.

KAL2006

Banned
Realtime, whoopty fucking do

But is it gameplay, thats the real question. If it's gameplay I would be highly impressed. If it's just realtime, I have seen many impressive realtime cutscenes, even on PS3, just look at Uncharted.

rvy

Banned
The animation can absolutely be that good. Capcom is very much one of the companies that's willing to give up player control for animation priority. Look at the Monster Hunter games. They're built entirely around that concept. Now the animation there obviously isn't as advanced (which isn't surprising since it's still heavily based on PS2 tech), but it shows that they aren't afraid of going that route. We don't see that type of high quality animation because companies are afraid to take control away from the player.

I hope you're right because it's impressive, but I'll remain skeptical until I see gameplay.

Don't understand why so many are skeptical of what was shown. I expect a ton of PS4 games to look that good in a few years.

Violater

What does the picture in the OP prove other than Ono can use a camera.

Lawyer-ed.

My gripe is they tried to pass it off as gameplay when it was clearly not.

Don't understand why so many are skeptical of what was shown. I expect a ton of PS4 games to look that good in a few years.

My crystal ball is kinda fuzzy, so I can't whether it will or will not happen.
To me it was head and shoulders above everything else shown that day.

i-Lo

He says he can move the camera but if the entire thing is just a predetermined real time cutscene without any underlying real time physics related component then it'll obviously look prettier than actual gameplay.

However, lest we forget what the devs been able to accomplish on outdated CPU+GPU+ <512MB RAM (256MB for GPU for PS3), in time, we shall reach the fidelity of what we saw in that tech demo during gameplay.

Another thing to remember is what was said by Suckerpunch about the inF SS footage, i.e. it was running real time (and the skin shader in that quasi open world game looked better than KZSF).

And lastly, PS4 has gone through some tremendous changes over the last year and so these tech demos are based on incomplete specs. In fact, I expect what we saw to run just as easily on XB3 come E3.

Triple U

Banned
You mean like ND cutscene?

I am saying I do not believe.
Of all the things shown that day this was the only one that raised doubts in my mind.

Realtime, whoopty fucking do

But is it gameplay, thats the real question. If it's gameplay I would be highly impressed. If it's just realtime, I have seen many impressive realtime cutscenes, even on PS3, just look at Uncharted.

I think you all are confused. Realtime would be nigh distinguishable from gameplay. NDs cutscenes are not real time, they are in-engine, albeit pre-rendered.

sono

If you are like me you read this op and didnt understand it. I did some google. This may help: Deep down was a game demo shown by Capcom at Sony PS4 conference. A lot of comments were made on internet that it looked too good to be running on PS4 in game. Yoshinori Ono is the executive producer of Street fighter 4 at Capcom. The green troll in front of the screen I dont have an explanation unless it is relating to humour. I expect others will know. Am I getting close.

KAL2006

Banned
Can this finally be the end of the "IT WASN'T REAL TIME" debate???

Please, God...

I think the people who said this is not realtime, got their words mixed up, I think they meant "this is not gameplay", which I do agree with. I'ts all realtime, but it's all a realtime cutscene, with just the option to move the camera around (no ai, physics and etc). Just look at Agni's Philosophy thats realtime too.

Reiko

Banned
Don't doubt Capcom.

excella_gionne__re5__vyk4q.jpg

You will look like fools.

If you saw this in 2001, would you think this was possible on console?

raven777

I think the people who said this is not realtime, got their words mixed up, I think they meant "this is not gameplay", which I do agree with. I'ts all realtime, but it's all a realtime cutscene, with just the option to move the camera around (no ai, physics and etc). Just look at Agni's Philosophy thats realtime too.

no the problem was the some people thought it was CG clip, not real-time cutscene.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Deep Down was far simpler in terms of numbers of assets and general scene complexity than SE's Agni real-time demo. The individual effects were more polished that's all.

Its totally doable. Lets not forget there's no game logic running, its an animation so its 90% GPU based.

Triple U

Banned
A realtime cutscene would have physics though..

Don't doubt Capcom.

That's not a good comparison Resi 5 wasn't even a glimmer in Campcom's eye in 2001 and the next gen consoles were still 4 years away. If I saw the Resi 5 screenshot in 2005 yes I would believe it possible.

I'm not saying that Deep Down isn't running on a PS4. I'm just saying it's a bad comparison.

i-Lo

Another point of contention is if this game turns out to be, Dragon's Dogma 2 (highly likely) then it'll be an open world game. I doubt as a first gen game it'll be able to present that kind of visuals for it on consoles (the difference between Oblivion and Skyrim on 360 is a good example).

Don't doubt Capcom.

excella_gionne__re5__vyk4q.jpg

If only game was half as good as it looked (specially true for RE6).

Besides Dragon's Dogma, have they made any good games recently (not JP exclusive or rehashes)?

Perkel

Banned
Deep Down was far simpler in terms of numbers of assets and general scene complexity than SE's Agni real-time demo. The individual effects were more polished that's all.

Its totally doable. Lets not forget there's no game logic running, its an animation so its 90% GPU based.

I think people simply do not believe because they use current technology as standard what is possible and they scream CGI.

Thing is that Demo packed really nice tech that will be used in future games. Dragon fire is confirmed tech that they will implement in future games and that effect was alone beyond what is possible today.

Simply put that demo was just showcase of technology first then power and technology made that WOW effect.

Top Bottom