• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Raccoon City Dev had a NEW Resident Evil title canned due to Star Wars Leak

I remember playing this online but there was somehow an agreement made by the community that VS mode was to be played as a horde mode and no one ever shot the other team.

Neff

Game is not only hands down the worst RE title I've ever played, but not even a serviceable, enjoyable TPS in its own right. Buggy, unsatisfying, ridiculously basic, edgelord-y shite.

I won't miss a sequel.

Tapejara

I do like the idea of a spin-off focused on elite Umbrella agents, but Capcom has fumbled the idea twice now. ORC was bad but showed some potential, while Umbrella Corps was just awful. Like, ORC has problems for sure, but Umbrella Corps is so much worse.

wipeout364

I actually enjoyed raccoon city. Cop op was pretty fun and an interesting take on the series. The mechanics were very weak though but that said it was a better game than that recent RE Umbrella Corps game. One of the issues was the decision to lock half the campaign behind DLC, that was terrible.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I remember this game as that game my ex-friend went out of his way to support as a middle finger to capcom for not making resident evil 5 graphically the same for all consoles (at the time) so it could be on the wii

Also as that game of "why isn't a headshot killing a zombie?"

Game is not only hands down the worst RE title I've ever played, but not even a serviceable, enjoyable TPS in its own right. Buggy, unsatisfying, ridiculously basic, edgelord-y shite.

I won't miss a sequel.

Play Umbrella Corps. It can probably beat that lol.

Jackpot

Banned
That's why the product came out as bad as it did.

Weapons would routinely turn invisible, sound would break entirely, and enemies would give zero hit feedback because "they didn't want to make an action title to begin with"?

That makes no sense.

Slayven

This was before the EA and Lucasfilm deal.
Slant Six was also working on a Star Wars Battlefront 3 for LucasArts back when ORC released and some of those files made it onto the same disc. Clearly an error on Slant Six's part. (or maybe their version of Battlefront got canned by the Disney buyout of Lucasfilm and someone wanted to leak its existence.

Mixing up projects resources is not a good look.

Gestault

I've only skimmed the article, but a point/question:

(1) Wouldn't this be a legally significant sign that assets were being made on another client's dime? That's a big deal for a subcontractor.

Whether it's cross-contaminating contractor funds, or publishing unlicensed assets in a retail game, holy shit, what a goof.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I beat the campaign. I thought it was pretty mediocre, but not as bad as some people say. Never did play the DLC, which was supposedly better. Wasn't about to pay $20 for the other half of the game I had already spent $60 on.

Never played Umbrella Corps. Didn't know it even had a single player mode. If it's canon, it doesn't sound at all significant going by the synopsis.

giphy.gif

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

I won't miss a sequel.

Try umbrella corps.

ORC looks like a magnum opus of gaming compared to what UC is

despite the quality of a game, it's never good to see a dev shut their doors due to decisions of higher ups

Although this makes me sad about battlefront 3.

I won't miss a sequel.

It's genuinely one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had - atrocious game with a developer that hasn't been missed.

Fury451

Banned
What a really weird situation. I didn't like the game, but that's really sad that something that was so lucrative for the studio also killed their chances for another series title because of something so random.

Good decision on Capcom's part. Abysmal game. ABYSMAL.

Uh...Capcom is the one who wanted the game that way by the sounds of it.

And considering they made Umbrella Corps, which was an infinitely worse piece of shit than ORC ever was even for being kinda ho-hum, I'd say their decision making is kinda bad.

See also: Everything else Capcom has been doing in the last 2-3 years.

It's unfortunate that the game sucked so much, because the character designs were dope (at least on the Umbrella side). I wound up modding them into New Vegas.

Heh, I used some of their designs in L4D2. The Umbrella operative designs were too good to be wasted in just one game.

Tapejara

It's genuinely one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had - atrocious game with a developer that hasn't been missed.

Aw, I miss Slant Six. Sure their games weren't great, but I had a lot of fun with SOCOM Confrontation and as a Canadian it sucks when one of our developers shuts its doors.

Jawmuncher

Weapons would routinely turn invisible, sound would break entirely, and enemies would give zero hit feedback because "they didn't want to make an action title to begin with"?

That makes no sense.

I was just saying it was a possibility. Of course it doesn't cover all the other issues the game had. I've played it 3 different times (PS3, 360, and PC). So I know about all of the issues that plagued it. I'm just saying it would've been interesting to see if maybe just maybe had Slant six made the title they wanted. If things would've been better for this hypothetical title is all.

Good decision on Capcom's part. Abysmal game. ABYSMAL.
Yeah, developing that real pos Umbrella Corps was a far better decision.

ORC actually had potential and

was the most fun I had with a niche MP mode since MGO1.

Feel bad for Slant Six, there Socom was a better Socom than the creator's(once patched)

Tapejara

You know, I genuinely liked Operation Raccoon City. I like it more than Resident Evil 5 and 6. My problem is, you can definitely see where the publisher pushed their agenda. The game was cut into two to sell half the game as DLC, that I didn't agree with. I remember the company focusing on Vector and the other operatives and mentioning you'll be able to play with US soldiers as well, but they literally cut that to get another £15 out of you. Also the inconsistencies from the original titles annoyed me such as how poorly they killed Birkin and forced him to inject the G-Virus and the way they changed the layout of the police station outside of the main hall. But for the most part I did enjoy the game, I played with four friends and really wanted a sequel. Slant Six were a great developer and it's sad to see them gone.

That being said, they did some great work on SOCOM, I'm surprised Sony didn't tap them for another SOCOM game after Zipper made that god awful SOCOM 4.

I think Slant Six had already shifted to mobile development by the time SOCOM 4 hit shelves. And Zipper themselves were still around until after Unit 13 launched. Wikipedia states that Zipper were working on a new SOCOM:

Wikipedia said:
Prior to its closure, Zipper Interactive were working on two unannounced titles for the PlayStation 4 before both projects were cancelled once the closing was complete. One was another entry in the U.S. Navy SEALs series, and the other was a first-person shooter meant to be a new IP.

Zipper closed in 2012, and Slant Six closed a year later, so they likely wouldn't have been able to get anything off the ground in that short amount time. *pours one out for Slant Six and Zipper*

I think Slant Six had already shifted to mobile development by the time SOCOM 4 hit shelves. And Zipper themselves were still around until after Unit 13 launched. Wikipedia states that Zipper were working on a new SOCOM:

Zipper closed in 2012, and Slant Six closed a year later, so they likely wouldn't have been able to get anything off the ground in that short amount time. *pours one out for Slant Six and Zipper*

With our luck, Zipper was probably working on a SOCOM 2 Remake finally going back to their roots.

How exactly did Battlefront assets end up inside Operation Raccoon City?

ORC was a deeply flawed game -- melee is bizarrely designed, for example: you just spam the melee button and can keep doing it with no restraints because there's no stamina system -- but it's not an absolute disaster of a title. The DLC campaign is better designed, but buried in a submenu and sold for an additional cost.

I mean, I can't fault Capcom.

Don't leave your assets for another game from another company that is a major IP on a disc for a game from another IP from another company.

Stop wasting money on stupid shit when you have million plus seller sitting on a shelf waiting to be tagged in.

Remake Outbreak. 4 player coop, new maps inspired by the old games with classic bosses, classic characters, progression system for the characters with persistent crafting or drops on the maps, custom character allowing you to mix and match skills, create a bio, ect., horde mode with some tower defense elements. Charge 40$. Market it. Make all the money.

CamHostage

Aw, I miss Slant Six. Sure their games weren't great, but I had a lot of fun with SOCOM Confrontation and as a Canadian it sucks when one of our developers shuts its doors.

They were also instrumental in the engine for the PSP Syphon Filter games, and made some pretty decent and nice-looking portable SOCOMs (SOCOM FTB 3 and SOCOM Tactical Strike.) If they had stayed on portables, they might not be getting such a rueful eulogy here, but for whatever reason, when they ventured out onto consoles, something always went bad for Slant Six.

Side-note: too bad the interview didn't take the chance to ask if RE:ORC was the remnant of the ill-fated PSP Resident Evil Portable game. Capcom says it wasn't, but I've seen other hints pointing back at the rumor. Would have been good to have confirmation either way if Slant Six was in the mix of that project.

Stop wasting money on stupid shit when you have million plus seller sitting on a shelf waiting to be tagged in.

Remake Outbreak. 4 player coop, new maps inspired by the old games with classic bosses, classic characters, progression system for the characters with persistent crafting or drops on the maps, custom character allowing you to mix and match skills, create a bio, ect., horde mode with some tower defense elements. Charge 40$. Market it. Make all the money.

1000 times yes.

It would work so well on todays consoles. Quick, and easy to get into games, voice chat, Traditional RE gameplay, Survival Horror.

God dammit, Capcpom.

I don't get it. Maybe my English isn't good enough.

How does Star Wars assets leak lead to the game being cancelled? What? How does that even work?

How exactly did Battlefront assets end up inside Operation Raccoon City?

ORC was a deeply flawed game -- melee is bizarrely designed, for example: you just spam the melee button and can keep doing it with no restraints because there's no stamina system -- but it's not an absolute disaster of a title. The DLC campaign is better designed, but buried in a submenu and sold for an additional cost.

Slant Six were one of the billion companies trying to make Battlefront 3 as Pandemic who created it and Mercenaries was shutdown following the failure of Mercs2.
Both games would have had speedy schedules and shared engine and such and got left in.

I appreciate Slant Six but they certainly weren't the best or brightest out there.

Top Bottom