• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINION: The Star Wars prequels are better than the original trilogy (arguments and discussion included)

Which of the two Star Wars trilogies do you prefer?

• The original trilogy (I grew up with them)

Votes: 81 71.1%
  • The prequels (I didn't grew up with them)

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • The original trilogy (I didn't grew up with them)

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • The prequels (I grew up with them)

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The original trilogy has the weakest battles, but I can still appreciate them in the same way that I can appreciate battle scenes in Spartacus and Seven Samurai even though bigger and better battles have appeared on screen since then.

My two main issues with the prequel trilogy and the Disney trilogy are (1) the poor acting and (2) the "merchandizing". The dialogue is really really bad. The actors barely seem to comprehend the words they're saying. Some scenes in the prequel trilogy are Castle Shikigami 2 english translation bad. Dialogue gets better in the "new" trilogy comparatively but it's way too hammy and disconnected. Characters are primarily known by their catchphrase and mannerism. Every single line attempts to be the new "I have a bad feeling about this".

The merchandizing... Well just take a look at the glorious battles you've mentioned in the OP. Every scene displays a new droid, a new ship, a new soldier type showing up in well-paced 15-45 second intervals, like the steady rhythm of a song. And the characters casually banter while blowing it all up in lazy green-screen CGI. Consider the opening battle of Ep. 3 where Anakin and Obi Wan are battling in space. "Look master, Vulture Droids, now on sale at Target™ for $49.99" "YES! I see them, Anakin, and what better time for some Republic Clone Army Transport LEGO Cruiser™ to show up on DVD and Blu-Ray for $16.99 to explain the origin of this particular military unit". They yawn. R2D2 squeals and both jedi knights laugh as they crash into a ship and double-frontflip out of the cockpit. Rinse repeat.

Jar Jar is no worse than C3P0.... except the prequels included both and made C3P0 even more insufferable.
Yeah, merchandising...that's what makes the sequels spin, too. Reminds me of...

CZY

Everyone: please note how people reply. They reply the same way as in the ass threads:

"It's nice"
"The movies are bad"

I give up. It seems to be impossible to make people think, to actually put in some effort. To have a proper discussion with arguments, rather than just monkey brains spewing out their opinions left and right.

I'm out.
You made this post like 20 minutes and 15 posts into a thread,you have problems beyond your shitty Star Wars opinions my dude.

epicnemesis

Prequels have a great story that gets completely overlooked due to the horrific dialogue, acting, and digital effect overuse.

OT just oozes soul and passion while also revolutionizing film.

While I’ll agree that the prequels get a bad rap, they are in no way comparable to the OT.

To reduce my point further, fuck you OP.

Tschumi

They're hugely different in tone, and i think most star wars megafans in the late 90s were expecting more of the original trilogy's tone.. anyway it comes down to how individuals feel about it.

Top Bottom