• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreos are getting crazy

It's basically turned into the "craft brewery" of cookies. The new flavors just don't stop. I've never seen a cookie company so inspired and so fearless. It's almost on par with Japanese Kit-Kats at this point. I'm leaving a ton of them off too: Peanut Butter, Toffee Crunch. They just need sake flavored.

JDp7cL3.png
1NOPG5k.jpg

pyOK7ZP.jpg
R7onKRC.jpg

yZgra3M.jpg
sNMPb0m.jpg

o7rDaG4.jpg
uUqkIV6.jpg

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Yeah they've really gone next level the last few years. Or more? How long have they been getting away with this? I distinctly remember a time when it was just regular Oreos or double stuffed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah i love it.

chips o'hoy started this trend of experimentation a few years ago. i didnt love them all but liked a lot of them. good to see oreo's follow suit.

now they just need to get into the sugar free business. sugar is the main reason why everyone gets fat on these things.

BeardGawd

Banned
Those lemon thins are amazing I also love the White fudge Oreos.

Oreos make the best milkshakes and icecream too. The GOAT cookie.

badblue

Gold Member
We must stop consuming, because they are putting ammonia☠️

It's fine, #trustthescience.

In the food industry, ammonia is one of the alkaline reagents used to process cocoa and is a widely known and accepted additive. "This is far from earth-shattering,” said Bruno De Meulenaer, professor of food safety at Ghent University. “Ammonia is used, to darken cocoa, to remove the bitterness or to make it more soluble, for example for chocolate milk.”
Mondelez emphasises in a press release that "Oreo cookies on the market are safe to eat and do not pose any risk to food safety." De Meulenaer concurs: “The ammonia is lost during the baking process."

Besides, this is not the first time ammonia use in food has come up as a controversial topic. Don't people remember the Pink Slime of 2012?

The meat industry has been trying to raise awareness of other foods that contain ammonia, in response to what it has characterized as an unfair attack on a safe and healthy product.

For example, ammonia compounds are used as leavening agents in baked goods and as an acidity controller in cheese and sometimes chocolate.

“Ammonia’s not an unusual product to find added to food,” Gary Acuff, director of Texas A&M University’s Center for Food Safety, told a recent press conference hosted by Beef Products Inc. “We use ammonia in all kinds of foods in the food industry.”

Kraft Foods Inc, whose brands include Chips Ahoy cookies and Velveeta cheese, is one company that uses very small amounts of ammonium compounds in some of its products. It declined to specify which products.

“Sometimes ingredient names sound more complicated than they are,” said Kraft spokeswoman Angela Wiggins. She also pointed out that ammonia, made up of nitrogen and hydrogen, occurs naturally in plants, animals, water, air and in some foods, including milk.

Wiggins said that in turning milk to cheese, a tiny amount of ammonium hydroxide is added to a starter dairy culture to reduce the culture’s acidity and encourage cheese cultures to grow.

“It is somewhat similar to activating yeast for dough by adding warm water, sugar and salt to create the proper environment for yeast growth,” Wiggins said.

In the case of ammonium phosphate, used as a leavening agent in baking, she said the heat during baking causes the gas to evaporate so no ammonia is left in the product. “It is quite similar to adding wine to a sauce and cooking away the alcohol.”

Knowing The More You Know GIF by Joey Bada$$

levyjl1988

Banned
I wish Oreos would release a version without the cream. Too much sugar in the center. I prefer the chocolate biscuit instead.

Tams

Not even close to KitKat. I can go down to the nearest chemist/drugstore and find more varieties of KitKat than that, and they'll be more 'inventive'.

Obligatory fuck Nestlé though.

MrMephistoX

I remember a lot more variety in the 90’s like chocolate dipped and strawberry along with double stuffed mint and giant Oreos: these seem pretty tame.

Top Bottom