• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Coming to Switch on September 27

dacuk

I don't understand those posts. The game has been on PC since 2015, it's not very demanding on resources and it's beatable in less than 10 hours. It's been on steam for less than 10 bucks. If you wanted to experience the game what was stopping you? (Sincere question).

ps: I'm 100% in for but a fair price.
When the concept of "not playing on PC" is beyond your understanding...

Last edited:

lestar

Not sure if serious.

Microsoft is willing to bring their games to other platforms, Nintendo is known for keeping their IPs close to their chest, so the chance of something like that happening anytime soon is less than zero.

Never say never. Nintendo had put Mario and Zelda in other non Nintendo platforms in the past. There was Mario and Zelda in the philips CD-I, Mario in MS-DOS, and more recently, Mario games on mobile phones and Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy on the Nvidia Shield. I can see a contract agreement between Nintendo and MS to share some of their IPs

Never say never. Nintendo had put Mario and Zelda in other non Nintendo platforms in the past. There was Mario and Zelda in the philips CD-I, Mario in MS-DOS, and more recently, Mario games on mobile phones and Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy on the Nvidia Shield. I can see a contract agreement between Nintendo and MS to share some of their IPs

Not gonna happen.
Also those games were all secondary shitty projects.
Mainline games that move hardware will never release on anything other than nintendo consoles.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't understand those posts. The game has been on PC since 2015, it's not very demanding on resources and it's beatable in less than 10 hours. It's been on steam for less than 10 bucks. If you wanted to experience the game what was stopping you? (Sincere question).

ps: I'm 100% in for but a fair price.

I don't game on PC

lestar

Not gonna happen.
Also those games were all secondary shitty projects.
Mainline games that move hardware will never release on anything other than nintendo consoles.

Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy aren't secondary shitty nintendo games and are on a non nintendo console

Vawn

Banned
Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy aren't secondary shitty nintendo games and are on a non nintendo console

What, in China?

If you're seriously hoping to see Mario and Zelda on Xbox you're just setting yourself up for more disappointment.

I hate to be the bearer of bad new, but There is no Nintendo/Xbox partnership. There is just Microsoft slowly moving into third-party status as it looks for an audience to buy its games.

nikolino840

According to Greenberg, it was developer Moon Studios that approached Microsoft about the idea. After feeling that the port “made sense,” a release on Switch moved forward.

Greenberg’s full words:

“Ori is built by Moon Studios, which is an independent, external studio. They came to us with a desire to bring the original Ori to the Switch. We thought that made sense, and we’re happy to work with them to enable them to bring that to Switch.”
“We understand their desire to bring that game to Switch, and in this particular case we were happy to support them. And we think that makes sense for the original Ori.”

Greenberg also reiterated that Microsoft “will be focused on making games for our platforms and we have no plans to expand our exclusive first-party games to any other consoles.” This includes Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which will launch “exclusively on Xbox One and on the PC.”

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Tried the demo out. It was pretty incredible. Really beautiful artwork and music. After the demo I bought the full version immediately. Sucks that I have to wait a week...

Last edited:

BitDust

Tried the demo out. It was pretty incredible. Really beautiful artwork and music. After the demo I bought the full version immediately. Sucks that I have to wait a week...

I agree, impressive port and game. I only find the intro a bit too long specially considering it's a demo.

nikolino840

Some have the fear for the screen too small...are you agree or Is ok?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Some have the fear for the screen too small...are you agree or Is ok?

I am one of the weird switch owners that uses the system like a TV console so I didn’t even try handheld mode. To be honest I don’t have the best vision so I avoid most handhelds now because of that.

That being said, even playing on my 70 inch TV from 6 feet away, when the game started right after the prologue some of the paths were a little tough to see with how far everything was zoomed out. I can definitely see how some (likely myself) would struggle to see certain things in a reduced down handheld screen, though I feel that’s more of a “me” issue then somebody else with 20/20 vision.

Baart

Banned
Tried out the demo and really impressed by the graphics, sound and super fluid controls.

Perfect for my Ambilight tv too, with these colours in between the darkness.

I didn't like how the atmosphere was regularly ruined by pointless 'achievement unlocked!' pop ups.
Other dislikes are the blabbering tree voice (cut down the reverb soundguy) and the overly sentimental tone making it seem desperate for an oscar nomination.
I also felt overwhelmed by the amount of collectibles in the first five minutes.

Not sure yet. Might pick it up if it ever releases on cartridge.

This was the last game I played through on my Xbone, definitely think the Switch is the better market for this type of game and it will suit the portable mode since you can drop save points almost anywhere.

BlackTron

This is pretty cool but I just can't stop wondering what's Microsoft's endgame here.
As far as I can tell, Nintendo is the one benefiting the most out of this partnership.
Is the Big N preparing something for Xbox and we just don't know it yet?

Microsoft benefits by getting access to Nintendo's user base.

It's the same reason they are putting Xbox games on PC. They need to put the games where people will buy them.

It's true that you need exclusives to promote your platform, but the One failed to garner a sufficient userbase. At this point they just need to sell some damn software to raise profits.

Cuphead and Ori will generate much better numbers on Switch than XB.

Vawn

Banned

So the game runs better on Switch than it did on XBO? That's funny.

I'm in. I bought my XBO near launch with the Hope's of great exclusives. In the end, it was just Cuphead and Ori. Now, I will have repurchased those games on Switch.

From the demo, it seems like it will be pretty good. The art, animation and overall graphic style mesh really well together. Not sure if I'm a fan of the level design just yet. It seems a little.....forgettable. The sound design is pretty great as well, as the world "ties" to the soundtrack and effects. Seems like it will be worth the 20 bucks, but I'm not expecting to be blown away gameplay wise. If I had to guess, I'd day it will be a fun, atmospheric piece of work that I'll forget about down the line.

Either way, you've got my money. Let's see what's up. Also, fuck these achievement notifications. This is the most annoying shit ever.

Orta

Banned
Probably the most beautiful game I've ever played. I would have bought an XBO just to experience it.

Is the Switch getting a physical version?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This game is absolutely gorgeous and it Runs flawlessly on switch. Like this is seriously “beating Nintendo at their own game” levels of great art style here.

DonF

I'm surprised this game is $20, heard tons of praises... Should I pull the trigger right away?

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm surprised this game is $20, heard tons of praises... Should I pull the trigger right away?
It's a great game and after having finished the Xbox One original I imported the Definitive Edition from the US to have it in retail form. So, obviously, I at least think 20€ is a good price for it.

ViperZombie

Neo Member
Amazing game, I never got round to finishing on Xbox so double dipped. Any chance of Killer Instinct for switch Microsoft.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m hoping it gets enough traction on switch for them to drop an announcement at e3 2020 for the sequel to drop that summer / fall instead of years later.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’ve beaten this twice, once normal and Once definitive,

But I would triple dip... on one condition. Does the Switch version have its own achievement list separate from the Xbox one and Xbox one definitive version?

mcjmetroid

Right just finished this game on the Switch and absolutely loved it. I have a small few issues however.

The chase sequences got a it nutty towards the end with far more trial and error than I would like and became with frustrating. Now I did play on hard but ya.

Also the game has a habit of not rewarding you with exploring. The game is kinda linear, it's one of those games that if you go the opposite direction than where you're supposed to you'll be halted by something you can't go through because you don't have the orb or power etc. Sometimes this can mean going 10 minutes In a direction and then halted.

And.. that's about it. It's one of the best looking Switch games and more of a metroidvania than I was lead to believe overall. Fantastic.

9/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom