• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, El Capitan has always been great. You should have upgraded day 1 when it was released. There was no reason to as long as all your apps were properly updated.

Sierra's gonna be great too, but that one does have a cut-off that's slightly higher than El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks had. However your MacBook is within that cut-off so I recommend updating to that in September too.

I recently made this Emoji Dictionary for Mac OS X

https://github.com/gingerbeardman/Emojipedia

screenshot_dictionary_lookup.png

screenshot_dictionary_app.png

Sch1sm

I'm really over the amount of space photos uploaded to my PhotoStream take up on my rMBP. Is there a way to have it so it doesn't go to this Apple device, just to my phone and iCloud.com, or am I just forever stuck? Irritating to have it considering I never look at them on my laptop.

I'm really over the amount of space photos uploaded to my PhotoStream take up on my rMBP. Is there a way to have it so it doesn't go to this Apple device, just to my phone and iCloud.com, or am I just forever stuck? Irritating to have it considering I never look at them on my laptop.

You talking Photo Stream or iCloud Photo Library?

If it's photo stream just turn it off. If it's the latter turn on "optimize storage" instead of "download originals"

Ambitious

I dislike how apps are moved to the end of the Desktop list in Mission Control upon entering fullscreen mode instead of to the right of the current Desktop. Should be a setting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dislike how apps are moved to the end of the Desktop list in Mission Control upon entering fullscreen mode instead of to the right of the current Desktop. Should be a setting.
A workaround:

Click and hold on the Fullscreen button and put it on one side of the screen.
Then click it.

It will open in Fullscreen with no other window and it'll be immediately to the right of the Desktop instead of at the end of the list.

Alternatively, drag the window to the top and move it wherever you want in the list.

Ambitious

A workaround:

Click and hold on the Fullscreen button and put it on one side of the screen.
Then click it.

It will open in Fullscreen with no other window and it'll be immediately to the right of the Desktop instead of at the end of the list.

Alternatively, drag the window to the top and move it wherever you want in the list.

That's good to know, but unfortunately that only works for apps which are already running. If you launch an app that was in fullscreen mode when you last used it, it will again launch in fullscreen, but it will be moved to the end of the Desktop list.

Ambitious

On my Mac mini, User A is always logged in with Kodi and Plex running. For administration, I use SSH and VNC to connect to User B, who has admin rights.

When I initiate screen sharing from the Finder, a dialog appears, stating that A is currently using the display and asking me whether I'd like to ask for permission to use the display or simply log in as B. Is there a way to prevent this dialog from appearing? I always want to log in as B.

On my Mac mini, User A is always logged in with Kodi and Plex running. For administration, I use SSH and VNC to connect to User B, who has admin rights.

When I initiate screen sharing from the Finder, a dialog appears, stating that A is currently using the display and asking me whether I'd like to ask for permission to use the display or simply log in as B. Is there a way to prevent this dialog from appearing? I always want to log in as B.
If you initiate screen sharing from the command line you can include the user in that:
Code:
open vnc://user@pass:server:port

Worth a go.

Ambitious

If you initiate screen sharing from the command line you can include the user in that:
Code:
open vnc://user@pass:server:port

Worth a go.

Unfortunately, I would have to include the password in the command, which I'd rather not do. Besides, I don't think I could include my SSH private key using the "open" command.

mrkgoo

For the record, I'm still getting the stalls with the distnoted process on 10.11.6. But now because I'm aware of it, I don't have to hard reset, just kill the process.

Why would launchpad show a blank progress bar underneath it? When I click the icon, it shows a paused download or something of some sort.

A) I'm not downloading anything.

B) I can't cancel it or do anything.

C) No updates are available.

D) No viruses, apparently.

Why would launchpad show a blank progress bar underneath it? When I click the icon, it shows a paused download or something of some sort.

A) I'm not downloading anything.

B) I can't cancel it or do anything.

C) No updates are available.

D) No viruses, apparently.
An App is updating/installing/stalled.

Fuchsdh

I thought so, but I see no updates available.

I've been having Internet issues, but it's not moving at all. I've also restarted my computer.

Honestly I've seen that issue occur since at least Mavericks. Doesn't really affect anything but sometimes it gets stuck as if there's an app downloading and there's not. You could try selectively killing Launchpad or resetting its prefs.

mrkgoo

Can just be a weird bug. Icons on the dock can sometimes get stuck on displaying modifiers like unread messages on messages, unveiled photos on iPhoto and likewise installing app on launchpad.

I get the bar sometimes on some folders when a file is moved across.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mrkgoo

There we go that's a big update so must have been taking some time. Not sure how that type of update displays in launchpad.

Will sierra automatically download in background? Seems a pretty big one. I hate these days how companies are more aggressive in getting you to update to their new OS. It's likely I will stay on El Capitan . I need to know aperture works on sierra or I'm staying.

Top Bottom