• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar viewership drops 4% from last year; hits 9 year low

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-feb-26-2017-oscars/

Time zone-adjusted ratings for the Oscars have them down from last year’s awards. The decline in total audience was fairly small — about 4 percent, with 32.9 million people tuning in Sunday vs. 34.42 million last year.

The drop among younger viewers, however, was considerably larger: Sunday’s 9.1 rating represents a 13 percent drop from last year’s 10.5. It’s the lowest 18-49 rating for the show in more than 20 years.

Time to nominate a Star Wars film for best picture.

mreddie

ATmxDt5.gif

You know he's gonna bring it up.

skynidas

Banned
If they care about ratings they need to change how the show is made. Announcing new movies at the show or showing new trailers could do the trick.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ironically this was the first time I ever watched the show on its entirety, through the Double Toasted livestream. Then again, that doesn't count as official viewership.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
because it's boring and nobody cares. The best thing they could do is put a free stream online so people can just shit talk it all night.

Sephzilla

If they care about ratings they need to change how the show is made. Announcing new movies at the show or showing new trailers could do the trick.

I'd rather the Oscars not turn into The Game Awards.

Honestly, part of the "problem" is that I feel younger audiences are caring less about the movies and actors being nominated.

Blader

Too bad, they missed a hell of an ending.

Their numbers would probably tick way up if they just finally streamed the damn show.

Sethista

the whole show needs to change format, from an entertainment perspective.

Oscar is meaningless anyway to define wuality in movie and performances, since quality is not by far the only factor in defining the "winners". It could at least be entertaining to watch.

Oscars are obviously shit, but I'd imagine this has more to do with that people can get whatever they want from the Oscars w/o watching the Oscars.

My wife is obsessed with Oscars fashion but she doesn't watch the Oscars, she goes on Twitter and websites dedicated to it, then will watch Fashion Police tonight. Likewise, friends who are into who wins awards will watch the results on Twitter or w/e, and then watch the gaffes or good speeches on YouTube or w/e.

I couldn't be bothered by industry trade groups giving themselves awards.

jph139

I mean, I've never really seen the point when I can read about all of the winners online immediately. Not gonna spend hours watching commercials, bad jokes, and rich people patting each other on the back if I don't have to.

shira

No wonder they pulled that 'lolwhoops wrong movie guys' stunt at the end. Publicity, my dudes. Itsallaconspiracy

I think that gets you even less viewers if the initial results can't be trusted. You might dominate the headlines, but it gives less credibility to next year's ceremony. If they wanted more viewers they should have given Deadpool a best picture nomination.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cut it to 90 minutes and add an action category.

Instant 5% gain in viewership year over year.

They need to revamp the categories and add a few for popularity. Best action scene, best kiss or romantic moment, best villain, etc. Drop some of the technical categories from the telecast and move them to whatever night they do the stuff no one cares about (sorry best makeup, etc).

I know thats probably a hugely unpopular opinion here but really just haven't cared about any of the major oscar categories or noms in the past few years.

They should also try to get the run time down to 90 minutes with commercials, just brutally eliminate any categories from the telecast that aren't popular - best animated short, best docu short, best docu feature, best live action short etc don't belong on the main telecast.

I'd rather the Oscars not turn into The Game Awards.

Honestly, part of the "problem" is that I feel younger audiences are caring less about the movies and actors being nominated.

True. A lot of these people don't watch the nominated movies until after the Oscars are over.
1. It was a pretty bad year for movies.
2. It was up against The Walking Dead.
It was a great year for movies. It's only getting better and better.

That's what they get for not adding Deadpool as a Best Picture nomination.

/s

But seriously, I watched it all the way through last night and it was pretty damn boring aside from the end and some of Kimmel's stuff. Plus, I had little to no interest in seeing most of the movies that were nominated.

Chris R

Haven't watched in years.

Didn't care for basically any of the movies nominated this year (just aren't my thing outside of Arrival really), don't like Kimmel, show goes on for far too long, ect.

Fox Mulder

It's boring and irrelevant.

If you care, you can see the results without watching hours of blowjobs. Everyone else doesn't care about the films nominated each year.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't think it's possible for anything to have less appeal to me than spending 3-4 hours watching the Oscars.

No wants to see a bunch of Hollywood elites pat themselves on the back at how well they pretended to be other people in movies no one saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom