• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot: 'La La Land' "Not Memorable"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Best Animated Feature
I watched them all and liked several of them, but I loved The Red Turtle, which was the most profound of the group.

My vote
The Red Turtle

Wow, i didn't expect something other than "I don't watch animated shit, lol", this is such a step up.

Salmonax

I don't understand her hatred of Arrival -- because I rented the movie on Redbox and kept it for 4 days.... and never got past the first 20 minutes without falling asleep. I really did try to watch it. It I just couldn't get into it or even get halfway through the movie.

So I literally don't know what's to hate about it.

Noted?

Nielm

Honestly, I agree. I didn't like La La Land or Arrival much, and I don't think Emma Stone should win the Oscar.

meow

I didn't like Arrival either. The ending felt like a total cop-out.

I also didn't like Moonlight. The main character (and really most of them) just felt really flat.

Manchester was pretty good, some solid performances all over there. It was a movie where you kinda knew where it was going but you didn't care, you still wanted to follow it through.

Lion was pretty good too but the first half I felt was way stronger than the second.

Gonna try to watch La La Land and Hell or High Water before Sunday and that's probably all I'll get to.

SeanC

Wow. Someone sure has it against Arrival.

Wouldn't be surprised if Moonlight upsets for BP. I know some voters and they voted for it. Yes, it's a small pool of people but they're all old and white which I found interesting and the other I know voted for Manchester.

I think La La Land has reached the "backlash" part of "I hate popular movie" cycle early. Usually it's after something wins BP.

EGM1966

How off. I thought He'll or High Water was terrific just as she did but can't understand her hatred of Arrival. I presume like many she just automatically hates SF. Ignoring its cinematography seems especially crazy. That goes for Silence too.

But very interesting to read. Agree with her on Viola Davies too: she should be picking up awards as lead actress. She's right about Fences too. It does suffer from just being the play. It's still very good though.

Interesting comments on Gibson too.

Infinite

I think if I had to pick a few potential selections that I think are more deserving than what made the list I'd go with some of the following which I enjoyed more than any of the current nominees:
Sully, Cafe Society, Elle, Julieta, Staying Vertical, L'Avenir, Crosscurrent, Aquarius, White Girl and I'm holding a spot for Personal Shopper, which I haven't seen yet but I tend to love almost everything Assayas does.

Of the actual nominees I think Hell or High Water was my favourite and then probably Moonlight, but I didn't love either. I liked them enough but they didn't really wow me. All the ones I mentioned (with the exception of Personal Shopper for obvious reasons) wowed me in one way or another and really left a mark with me as a viewer.

Edit: somehow forgot to mention Silence, which I also throught was fantastic.
Pretty sure white girl came out 2 years ago.

Also I thought the movie was incredibly boring with ultimately nothing to say.

vulva

Pretty sure white girl came out 2 years ago.

Also I thought the movie was incredibly boring with ultimately nothing to say.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4129870/
2016, and that's fine that you found it boring. I thought it was an interesting and captivating look at white privilege. If you felt it had nothing to say that's on you, and I'm not about to tell you that you're wrong for not seeing it the way I did (I can't imagine being that arrogant) but to me it was easily one of this year's strongest films.

Edit: I keep remembering great movies that came out in 2016, Nocturama is also on the list for me as well. I'd probably add Les Cowboys too.

I agree with a lot of what she's got to say. Arrival is vastly overrated. La La Land is great but none of the performances are award worthy. Viola doesn't belong in the Best Supporting Actress, she should be up for Best Actress - especially considering 99% of the recipients of that award have been white and Viola would probably win it.

CloudWolf

Aside from her hate for Arrival... she seems perfectly reasonable? I mean, I don't agree with everything, but she gives some good arguments. And I agree with how silly it is the Academy keeps putting these lead actors and actresses in the "supporting" category.

Her voting for The Red Turtle is also great, I fully expected every voter to just blindly pick the Disney flick.

Aklamarth

So little love for "Lion" in these ballots. Disappointing :)
Also complaining that Lion is "little too predictable in its storytelling is amazing since is based on real life events.

Life can really be a bit too predictable :))

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Best Animated Feature

I'm not big on animation or animators. I know a girl who only has sex with animators — she works over at Disney. In any event, my least favorite was Moana — just typical Disney fare. I really, really liked Kubo and the Two Strings, My Life As a Zucchini and Zootopia. But I loved The Red Turtle — it was so simple and it spoke about life and it looked like a watercolor painting to me. Plus I have a fetish for turtles — I've just written a project about a turtle.

My vote
The Red Turtle

Ridley327

Ballot 3 is up, and holy shit.

Hacksaw Ridge would be my first one out. I'm not a huge fan of [Hacksaw Ridge's] Mel Gibson, as a person, but setting aside his politics and how vile he is, which is hard to do, he's still lacking as a filmmaker and needs to update his style. He was acting pretty nuts at the official Academy Q&A, playing with his beard and everything; you can take the alcohol away, but that's when the insanity really starts. I'm over him.

Then [Lion's Dev] Patel. He really seems like he's needy as an actor and just wants you to like him, but he shouldn't be that needy — he's grown up to be a really handsome, sexy dude, with this mid-range brown color, so everyone loves him.

I'm not big on animation or animators. I know a girl who only has sex with animators — she works over at Disney. In any event, my least favorite was Moana — just typical Disney fare. I really, really liked Kubo and the Two Strings, My Life As a Zucchini and Zootopia. But I loved The Red Turtle — it was so simple and it spoke about life and it looked like a watercolor painting to me. Plus I have a fetish for turtles — I've just written a project about a turtle.

WAT

I really loved A Man Called Ove, and I can't say anything bad about Star Trek Beyond. But as a heterosexual male, it's hard not to vote for Harley Quinn [the character played by Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad] — plus, the makeup was really, really good. I'm surprised it didn't get other tech credits, as well, but I guess it's not really an Academy movie — it was way too much fun.

The director [Peter Berg] is a really talented guy, but he should be careful or he's gonna end up being the Oliver Stone of less important films.

To his credit, he did make the effort to see everything that was nominated, including the shorts categories.

But as a heterosexual male, it's hard not to vote for Harley Quinn [the character played by Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad] — plus, the makeup was really, really good. I'm surprised it didn't get other tech credits, as well, but I guess it's not really an Academy movie — it was way too much fun.

drewscanlonblinking.gif

Yet another voter knocking Silence down on the Cinematography category because of the religious themes. It's a movie about Jesuit missionaries, what did they expect?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Best Documentary Feature

I did not see 13th or Life, Animated. I liked O.J. — didn't I watch that on television? [It quickly is established that the version the voter saw on television was the FX limited series The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.] I am embarrassed to say I thought it was the one I saw on television. I liked Fire at Sea because it highlights a subject that we have to pay attention to. Oscar-nominated documentaries should be about things we ought to pay attention to [the plight of refugees] — I'm terrified that next year we'll have a documentary about transgender bathrooms, which is not something I think we should be paying attention to compared to other things. It's a joke. I voted for I Am Not Your Negro — I once met James Baldwin and I think everyone should know more about him.

My vote
I Am Not Your Negro

Ridley327

Oscar-nominated documentaries should be about things we ought to pay attention to [the plight of refugees] — I'm terrified that next year we'll have a documentary about transgender bathrooms, which is not something I think we should be paying attention to compared to other things.

What in the actual fuck.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There's an astomishing number of complete weirdo's that Oscar voters seemingly according to these ballots. If I had read this shit beforehand I wouldn't put the awards at in such high regard.

Morgan freeman was right, it really is just a pat on the back.

Kasper

I'm just glad Hell or High Water even got nominated. I thought the movie was excellent, but it's the type of film I expected to garner no interest from the public at large, be it critics or audience.

Barzul

La La Land wasn't that great to me. It was just ok. I enjoyed Fences and Hidden Figures more, Arrival is about on par with it, the ending on that one muddled things a bit. Gonna watch hacksaw ridge next.

JABEE

I am still salty The King's Whatsit won over The Social Network and Black Swan.

I liked the King's Speech more than The Social Network. Never saw Black Swan.

This year I like Fences and Hell or Highwater. I thought Manchester By The Sea was underwhelming. Going to watch Hacksaw Ridge tonight.

Denzel Washington or Casey Affleck should win Best Actor.

I finally watched Arrival last night. Didn't like it as well. I don't think it's going to win many awards beside maybe cinematography and sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom