• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

osu! - free to play online rhythm game (PC, inspired by Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents)

Oh yeah, I played this years ago and it made me lament not having a tablet of some sort to get the most authentic experience I could.

Then again a lot of the popular beatmaps at the time were just ridiculous in having beatspam so excessive you couldn't even click fast enough to get 'em. Not the fun Ouendan experience I knew and loved, but I'll try giving it another shot and see how things have progressed.

I'm familiar with the iOS version of this, guess it finally made it's way to PC.
PC version came first, it's been around for ages.

Thanks for sharing this, I don't think playing this with a mouse would be as good as on a DS, but since it's free to play why not give it a try?

fek

I love this game, I play it since the first version in 2007, but just recently I bought a tablet to play it, since my wrist used to hurt a lot using the mouse.
There's been a recent update on how the rankings work too and I lost a lot of positions because I usually play on Hidden and it seems to have lost value in comparision to other mods.

Apparently I've played this game for 6 years now, heh. Mostly on and off nowadays 'cause I don't think there's a huge number of songs being made that particularly interest me. But it's good fun. Much more fun, I find it, if you have a tablet or are playing on a touch screen phone, though.

It's actually quite good. Loads of e-sports players use it for practicing mouse accuracy.

Well, playing Elite beat agents I've been stuck for ages on Without a fight/Jumping Jack Flash at Sweatin' difficulty, I find very hard to do all perfects, and no way I'm going to play all those notes with a mouse as fast and with the same precision; of course I guess this game has been calibrated to be played with a mouse without developing a carpal tunnel syndrome, still I reckon Ouendan is a game that was designed for a touch-screen in the first place.

TheOGB

Banned
I thought this was gonna be one of those super necro bumps, but it's not. This is the first I've heard of it having a mobile version though.

It's really great on my touch screen laptop. I just need to be careful not to pound on it during really fast sessions, lol.

There'a also an Android version. It's alright if you have a stylus like Note.

The Android version, which was actually my first exposure to osu!, is pretty good. It's great on tablet without a stylus, and if you have a regular phone, you can use a capacitive stylus just fine. That said, it pales in comparison to the desktop version.

Etzer

I found out about this recently, too. It's great to play with a Wacom Cintiq or similar tablet monitors. I had no idea there was a mobile version, though.

JoeFu

Banned
bump

Been playing this again after a long time away from it. Got a rhythm game itch and this is scratching it pretty well. I used to hate the controls, but now I'm okay at the game.

What are some of your favorite beatmaps?
I download random beatmaps just because I have no idea who these japanese pop artists are and found this Perfume song , it's really really fun on the hardest difficulty and one of the few I can get an okay score on.

Guess Who

Banned
I love the everloving Jesus out of Ouendan but it's just not the same with a mouse (or even a large touchscreen). Game needs a small-ish screen and a stylus.

Durante

I was really into Osu ~ 5 years ago. Got up to #5 in my country IIRC.

I still play from time to time on my Win 8 tablet/laptop, but using touch (and obviously non-competitively, you can't play competitively with touch :p).

Perona

It took practice but I've actually gotten really good at osu! with a mouse so it's not impossible to do well on songs with it.

JoeFu

Banned
I really love how there's more beatmaps of all the newer gametypes now too. I tried Osu!Mania and I'm awful at the beatmania type mode. Wish I could be better as those are pretty fun. Also suck at Taiko too

It's not just not impossible, most top players play on KB/mouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8UzyXn075o

In my experience it's almost impossible to be fast enough for some songs on most tablet HW.

huh, never thought about using KB buttons instead of the mouse even though that tooltip pops up sometimes. Might try it out. Just got used to left and right mouse clicking. Used to find it impossible to hit the fast beats just left clicking....

Arulan

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan was one of the first games I imported for the DS and it was amazing. I imported the sequel which was also great. I never did end up getting Elite Beat Agents however.

I played osu! for quite a while on PC when I first learned about it, this was probably ~4 years ago. The ability to add user songs/tracks definitely make it, you can always find more content, or even create your own. The challenge aspect, difficulty and leader boards I believe succeed in creating a need for wanting to master these songs, not to mention it's incredibly fun. I also believe the mouse as an input device adds to the game.

Perona

I really love how there's more beatmaps of all the newer gametypes now too. I tried Osu!Mania and I'm awful at the beatmania type mode. Wish I could be better as those are pretty fun. Also suck at Taiko too

huh, never thought about using KB buttons instead of the mouse even though that tooltip pops up sometimes. Might try it out. Just got used to left and right mouse clicking. Used to find it impossible to hit the fast beats just left clicking....

Yeah I use KB+Mouse, I was bad with actually clicking too. Disabling mouse acceleration also helped a lot.

tatsuki

Really fun game. Tablet+Keyboard user. I've been playing on and off for years now. I had about a year and a half period where no games that came out could keep me as entertained as osu! did. The player count has been rising quite well. I'm surprised it's just getting a thread now though.

JoeFu

Banned
It's awesome seeing progress. On that one perfume song I linked my first time beating it was only 848,632 and now my personal best is a 6,299,318. While nothing spectacular it's crazy how much playing that one song over and over again has made me better overall at the game. I'm beating songs I couldn't beat before now.

nullset2

Used to be really into osu since 2008, nowadays I'm no longer active in the community or game. My brother is an eminent person in the community and used to be top of my Country, so both of us have a history with the game. It's a damn fine piece of software, too, and peppy is one of my Software Engineering role models.

I have a ranked beatmap. It's a pokemon song from Smash Bros. I don't even like pokemon. Why did I map this: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/5025

tatsuki

It's awesome seeing progress. On that one perfume song I linked my first time beating it was only 848,632 and now my personal best is a 6,299,318. While nothing spectacular it's crazy how much playing that one song over and over again has made me better overall at the game. I'm beating songs I couldn't beat before now.
First time :p JK though. That acc is bad but w/e I haven't played in awhile.

Seeing yourself progress is pretty fun though. When I first started playing I would say "I'll never beat so and so a map" Which are all easy now. Try playing with the hidden mod on every once in awhile. It will help alot in the long run imo.

__
You can auto upload screenshots with Shift+F12 while in game.

Did anyone tried to recreate the music patterns for any of the songs from Elite Beats Agents (like have similar background stories and beats)?

bawk

Banned
I followed this game way early on but fell out of it. Not being on touch screen really doesn't feel right for me. Thankfully all the songs are portable to Android and iOS and they are phenomenal on those.

I got into osu! about a year and a half ago, I suspect, and I LOVE it, even if I'm not that good. As for beatmaps, some of my favorites include maps for songs pulled from Nanoha, like "Take a Shot" and "Massive Wonders," both by Nana Mizuki, and "Monstrous Turtles," the remix of "Sub Castle" from Super Mario World.

Honestly, though, I wish there were some tracks that were listed that aren't right now. Perhaps the ones I'm noticing the most right now are a good number of the really well-known Guilty Gear tracks ("Awe of She" is excellent, but why does "Holy Orders" have to be so difficult).

Top Bottom