• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over-level, under-level, on-level: Which do you prefer in most games?

Kadin

Here's the thing I don't get - with myself at least. I prefer to play everything over-leveled as I've already mentioned but yet when I play a game with a difficulty setting, it's never 'Normal'. It's always one level at least above that even if it's the hardest difficulty. Something inside me doesn't like the fact that I play a game on it's normal level yet I over-level just about any time I've given the chance.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either.

I do have a bizarre need to be over-levelled in a lot of Final Fantasy games specifically, and weirdly, I don't really have the issue in a lot of other JRPGs. It also depends if there is fun side content, too. I'm not sure if it's a 'hey, you should be at this level!' 'You can't tell me what to do, you're not my mother!' kinda thing. In a lot of earlier FF games, I think it was my hatred of random battles that would leave me taking the time to over-level so that I could steamroll through them. FFXIII's levelling was a bit funny in particular, as it would lock down parts of the crystarium until you reached certain moments of the story. My passive aggressive responsive was to do a lot of experience farming, and then be able to unlock a bunch of abilities when the next part of the crystarium unlocked. Sweet vengeance. You're not my mother, FFXIII!

I do think under-levelled and on-level runs in games are really satisfying, but I have a deep integral need to be over-levelled when it comes to FF games. Maybe it's relaxing monotony? I don't know. The level design is generally quite enjoyable, too, unlike P3/P4, so I'm not trying to get out of the areas as quick as possible. (Thank god for P5.)

Being under leveled is by far the most rewarding. Level grinding is just there in case the player finds the game too difficult. Same thing with guides and walkthroughs, they should only to be used if the player is stuck and has no idea what to do next. Not to be relied on or to be brought out at the first sign of adversity. Over leveled is for new game +.

Max level.

One Punch Man my way through.

Off topic, but the more OP I can get, the better. I remember one Age of Decadence run I did with max stats that (endgame spoilers)
I literally punched god in the face.
It felt amazing.

psyfi

Banned
If I'm really enjoying the game: on level. If I'm feeling luke warm: a bit over leveled so I can speed through it.

I don't know if i have preference, but I typically end up a tad bit under leveled. It's not that I try for that though, I just avoid most battles. I don't really understand why anyone would over level. For me, ordinary enemies are the worst part of JRPGs, so fighting them repeatedly for hours just to blow through bosses (my favorite part), just seems weird to me.

For WRPGs it rarely feels like levels matter that much in the first place; maybe I've been playing the wrong ones.

When it comes to an RPG, especially JRPG's I appreciate when I can play a low-level run. I rarely do these but sometime I don't want to grind, actually most of the time I don't want to but when a game adds in one hit kills without a way to negate them, even if it only leaves you with one health then I consider the game to be poorly balanced. I enjoyed the last section of FFXV more because I had no interest in the fetch quest so was only around level 30 when I got to the final chapter section and even though I had to item spam at times I could finish the game the game no problem on normal.

I'd prefer if levels play a lesser role in the game. One of my favorite implementation was Chrono Cross, where you'd only "level up" after beating a boss.

RPGam3r

I don't worry about it. I play the way I want where I like exploring everywhere, doing all side quests and usually that leads to me being over leveled.

gelf

I hate being over leveled. Trivalised encounters are pretty dull. This a big reason I hate RPG levelling systems seeping into other genres too and making it too easy to break the game balance.

luulubuu

I like to be under leveled RPGs only if I'm liking the story or the setting, for example in the Souls series or in SMT (both can be pretty hard) but I always end being overpowered

C= (-。- ) フゥー

In Pokemon is actually hard to be underleveled

p.s: first post in GAF :D

Underleveled for the story, over for the post game stuff (which sometimes is designed for max level anyway). I feel like most RPGs are designed to be done without any grinding if you want to test your skill, so fighting as little as possible up until bosses almost always makes them feel just right for me. On the other hand, in post game bosses usually just start becoming cheap so I will over level the shit outta myself so I can see what the game has to offer but not kill myself from frustration after I've already gotten to the game's proper climax.

I'd prefer if levels play a lesser role in the game. One of my favorite implementation was Chrono Cross, where you'd only "level up" after beating a boss.

Giving the player strength for overcoming a legitimate challenge is a lost design idea unfortunately.

Milijango

I like to be under leveled RPGs only if I'm liking the story or the setting, for example in the Souls series or in SMT (both can be pretty hard) but I always end being overpowered

C= (-。- ) フゥー

In Pokemon is actually hard to be underleveled

p.s: first post in GAF :D

Same here, nothing worse than the feeling that you just brute forced what was supposed to be an awesome encounter.

Though as much as I love the Witcher 3's story I could not be happier to have steamrolled the end of that game.

A tad over leveled, to make the final boss challenging. KH and KH2 were two games I only died a couple of times, but those were at the very beginning and the very end.

luulubuu

Same here, nothing worse than the feeling that you just brute forced what was supposed to be an awesome encounter.

Though as much as I love the Witcher 3's story I could not be happier to have steamrolled the end of that game.

Now that I think about it, in Dead Rising I wanted so hard to be over leveled.

I just finished Dead Rising for the first time today (4th game I finished this year!) and as much I loved it, I had a bad time at first because I was under leveled, after a few painful re starts, the game turned to be awesome.

Sölf

I want to be on level, unless I get stuck or I just overlevel from doing the optional stuff (which I do).

I only underlevel if I actually want to try that. Lufia 2 is a good example, because the game is not even that hard even when you avoid pretty much everything (which cleary can't be the intended way to play the game).

watershed

Banned
I typically only play rpgs if I enjoy the combat and if I enjoy the combat I'm probably gonna fight a lot which means my party is pretty OP in most rpgs I play. But I don't mind and it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game. I like being a god by the end of an rpg.

I prefer under level when I can pull it off. On level is good too, but I often end up over-leveled because I want something specific and the nature of the game means I end up higher level. I actually prefer games that dont level characters who are out of your party so I can swap people around and keep my levels on point while still doing extra stuff.

Under. I try to skip random battles as much as I can until I get to a part where I'm having trouble. Then I level on those enemies cause that's much quicker than if I had wasted my time killing low-level and on-level enemies. Then when I feel I can move forward without getting wiped out I repeat the process. Part of this comes from the fact that when I was a kid I'd rent NES and SNES RPGS and try to beat 'em in a weekend. No time to powerlevel. Unfortunately sometimes time would run out on the rental and I couldn't beat the game because my party was too low and I didn't have time to train. I made it to the final bosses of FF IV and VI and Secret of Mana this way and had to take them back to the video store unfinished. Now, though, I just kill the highest level enemies and quickly level if I have trouble with a final boss.

Ogawa-san

Overlevel. I have a great time breaking a game that tries its best to break me.

Like how I spent 10h in one room in Persona 2 running in circles and grinding, just so enemies would stop bothering me for the rest of the game.

hao chi

I prefer to be on-level, but if I get stuck in a hard boss and just changing up my strategy isn't getting me results, I'll grind until I'm over-leveled.

ViciousDS

Banned
Over leveled.......I enjoy feeling like a badass

However lost odyssey did have the perfect leveling system and style for a turn based RPG.

It would actually play catch up if you were behind in a area under leveled and then slowed you down when you hit a cap per say to extreme measures where you
Would have to fight 100 battles just to level once.

Anything but overleveled. I like being reasonably challenged. If I'm underleveled there are ways to overcome that. Once you become overleveled there's no going back.

EDIT: To that point, if I'm playing a game with random encounters I actually get anxious about wandering around a single area for too long. One too many unnecessary fights, and boom! I'm too strong. Or at least that's what I lead myself to believe.

EDIT 2: This is also the reason why I love FF13 more than most. You can't overlevel! Every single chapter is specifically tuned to a particular level of progression. They made it just for me.

VillageBC

Slightly over leveled for bosses so they are a bit of a challenge. But for the regular mobs, I prefer to just curb stomp them.

Overleveled for sure, but not so much as to ruin the difficulty. Generally I feel like most, if not all, games with a leveling system are a little bit too difficult at on-level and can be enjoyed much more easily when a bit overleveled. Most notably, I've found that to be the case in my recent experiences with Bloodborne, if you'll pardon my blatant sacrilege. Also Xenoblade Chronicles, especially towards the early-middle and end.

If I want to play a game for difficulty I play a game that doesn't have leveling in it.

Way over level, I want to be rewarded for that grinding and steamroll over everything. I do the bonus stuff so I can be even more overpowered and steamroll even more. Just fun that way.

eXMomoj

Typically over level but that's because I enjoy completing every side mission/quest as soon as they're available before continuing onto the main story mission/quest.

Zafir

Usually on-level is the best so you get the intended challenge. Under-levelled can be fun sometimes, but other times it can make stuff tedious for various reasons (it taking longer to kill without actually adding much of a challenge)

That said if I'm not enjoying the gameplay in a game but still want to finish it for whatever reason, I'd rather be over-levelled so I can get through it faster I guess.

Fuzzery

I once fought Cynthia in Pokemon Platinum underleveled by almost 10 levels. It was one of the most miserable experiences I've had with that game.

If anything, slightly more than on-level.
Use a sweeper or items

Gyrados and dragon dance until max attack and you can OHKO everything, I was like 15 lvls under

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Over.

I love trying to complete all side missions anyway.

Some games will try to balance it out with zone leveling the enemies. And I like that. Even that can be exploited, and I choose not to.

But over always.

Top Bottom