• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch animated short - "Dragons"

Finaika

This is blizzard's style. It's always been blizzard's style. Those elevating Warcraft 3's dialogue are wearing some serious blinders.

It's like expecting the next avenger's movie to be Shakespeare. After all, you expect those to improve each time, they can't all be mindless fan service... Right?

Blizzard is the Marvel of videogames.

RedAssedApe

Banned
In what capacity. You don't get to play the Overwatch backstory. The closest you get is auto callouts based on that backstory between characters, based on who is present, where they are, and what's going on.

poorly worded on my part. these shorts just make me wish there was a story mode.

zoukka

This is blizzard's style. It's always been blizzard's style. Those elevating Warcraft 3's dialogue are wearing some serious blinders.

It's like expecting the next avenger's movie to be Shakespeare. After all, you expect those to improve each time, they can't all be mindless fan service... Right?

There isn't a middle ground between shit and shakespeare?

And yes I've always hated the writing in avengers, thanks for reminding me :)

Trickster

The hyperbole regarding Blizzard's writing is real in this thread. Blizzard ain't BioWare people (ignoring that BioWare itself also has writing issues) and shouldn't be expected as if they were.

Sorry but this is some defendist bs. If you establish a story in your game and take it seriously, expect your audience to take it seriously too.

FeD.nL

I don't think the writing is bad in these shorts.

Simple and effective doesn't equal bad in my book. They set the tone well, show off these characters and establish their relationship. It doesn't need to go much deeper than that imo.

There isn't a middle ground between shit and shakespeare?

And yes I've always hated the writing in avengers, thanks for reminding me :)

Hyperbole to show my point. If you missed it, it's that your pseudo intellectual tearing down of others for enjoying "simple" entertainment is ridiculous. There us a reason cliches exist, and not just to annoy you. We retell aesop's fables in a million firms because they are universally recognizable and they play on those sensibilities.

I'm not saying that media can't challenge that, it should... But the equivalent of a summer blockbuster isn't likely to be it.

You're better off hitting the indie or film festival scene.

In short, a multi billion dollar company that could do better writing doesn't to keep it simple and relatable to entice millions of customers, angering a select few who can't just turn off their brains and enjoy the ride every now and then.

(Edit) for what it's worth, I thought the avenger's writing was terrible too, but I can understand the value and why so many people did enjoy it.

Azoor

Guys, you cannot expect the same kind of writing you see from TF2 in Overwatch.

One thing you must know is that the TF2 shorts were meant to be funny and Overwatch's are supposed to be taken seriously. The comparison isn't fair, especially since the tone of both games is radically different.

That being said, the writing is these shorts isn't bad, just bland and predictable.

Trickster

I don't think the writing is bad in these shorts.

Simple and effective doesn't equal bad in my book. They set the tone well, show off these characters and establish their relationship. It doesn't need to go much deeper than that imo.

Just to be clear, since I did just jump into the fray about the writing. I personally wasn't talking about the writing in these shorts. These shorts have been great I think. I was talking in a more general sense.

Take Legacy of the Void for instance, now that is an example of something that has some shit tier writing

zoukka

Hyperbole to show my point. If you missed it, it's that your pseudo intellectual tearing down of others for enjoying "simple" entertainment is ridiculous. There us a reason cliches exist, and not just to annoy you. We retell aesop's fables in a million firms because they are universally recognizable and they play on those sensibilities.

I'm not saying that media can't challenge that, it should... But the equivalent of a summer blockbuster isn't likely to be it.

You're better off hitting the indie or film festival scene.

In short, a multi billion dollar company that could do better writing doesn't to keep it simple and relatable to entice millions of customers, angering a select few who can't just turn off their brains and enjoy the ride every now and then.

(Edit) for what it's worth, I thought the avenger's writing was terrible too, but I can understand the value and why so many people did enjoy it.

I understand why they do it. I understand why all trailers have the same music. I understand why Marvel films have awful writing.

Understanding does not mean I approve any of it. There are smart blockbusters, there are smart game trailers. These are indeed multi-million selling companies so they should not have my empathy and understanding, on the contrary, the audience should demand the absolute best they can achieve because they are filthy rich and in a position where they can reach every gamer on the planet.

You sound extremely apologist for these huge companies.

That being said, the writing is these shorts isn't bad, just bland and predictable.

In my world these mean the same thing.

I understand why they do it. I understand why all trailers have the same music. I understand why Marvel films have awful writing.

Understanding does not mean I approve any of it. There are smart blockbusters, there are smart game trailers. These are indeed multi-million selling companies so they should not have my empathy and understanding, on the contrary, the audience should demand the absolute best they can achieve because they are filthy rich and in a position where they can reach every gamer on the planet.

You sound extremely apologist for these huge companies.

In my world these mean the same thing.

You're assuming "best" is for everyone, when you're really meaning best for you...

You sound less like someone who wants to discuss the merits or demerits of this kind of video game short, and more like someone that simply wants to be right.

zoukka

You're assuming "best" is for everyone, when you're really meaning best for you...

No. I am not implying that Blizzard should start producing artsy and edgy material or educate the masses. There is however a lot of room to improve even inside their strategy and style of "epic and likeable" storytelling.

I've always hated the argument of "dumb entertainment", when blockbusters and games can be made well, written well and still cater to large masses.

Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1, Diablo 2.

None of those games have stories to write home about. I'm huge fan of WC3 and I love the narrative presented in the campaign, however nothing in WC3 is new that hasn't been done before. And I'm going to ignore D2 being that it was a Blizzard North game.

Sorry but this is some defendist bs. If you establish a story in your game and take it seriously, expect your audience to take it seriously too.

I never said you couldn't take the story seriously, I'm simply commenting on the hyperbole people have it such as calling it hilariously bad and whatnot. Both the story and dialogue are servicable, which again, is nothing new as Blizzard are known for the past 2 decades, even at their peak of narrative structure, for servicable writing in their games.

Pretty cliche but fun none the less. Animation quality is on point as usual. I think I like the Tracer v Widow one a bit more due to the little bit of world building it does, but I'd put both of them way above the Winston one.

Dreavus

I thought the writing was fine. More than half of the dialogue is literally a fairytale/myth about the two dragons which is supposed to carry a certain simple cadence.

I thought the writing was fine. More than half of the dialogue is literally a fairytale/myth about the two dragons which is supposed to carry a certain simple cadence.

Which is fine except it's stuck between being too on the nose yet diverging in important spots so it doesn't really work.

Toxi

Banned
The point of the myth as a framing device is to tell a simplified version of the story, boiling it down to its basic themes, but that doesn't work when the "real" version is so simplistic and cliche already.

Dinjoralo

The writing for those shorts hasn't been terrible, per se, but it could really use some more creativity to go along with the characters and the setting. At least this short didn't do the dumb forced arc-word stuff that Winstons and Widowmakers shorts had.

Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1, Diablo 2.
Story and writing are different things, go back to Warcraft 3 and the dialogue is not how you remember it. Hell none of them are, but the plot kinda make the writing feel better. I feel like the only difference between blizzard writing then and now is that they are writing for larger audiences. They are still good, but they are good in a different way. It's like star trek vs the star trek movie reboot. Both entertainment but one was more quiet and bad an audiance that was willing to enjoy it's subtlety.

peakish

I felt like this was the weakest of the shorts so far. The Winston one worked well to reinforce his character and set up his story, as well as setting off the events of the Overwatch program restart. The Widowmaker one tried to do some (very light) world building for the omnid-human relations and since it's a recognizable trope with historic parallels you get what's at stake even if it's predictable.

Dragons just shows two brothers' personal history, and it's not a very interesting one. It's an enjoyable and cool fight, but if you're setting up something personal like this I'd prefer the writing to be less bland. As I've said in some other threads I like that Overwatch doesn't have a central storyline, because at this point it's only tropes which works better in small doses. This short was pushing it.

Honestly the Cheese gets me so hyped with that soundtrack

Genji: The world is changing once again, Hanzo, and it's time to pick a side.

[Genji leaps onto a nearby building's roof. Conflicted, Hanzo rushes over to retrieve his last arrow and aims it at Genji.]

Hanzo: Real life is not like the stories our father told us! You were a fool for believing it so!

Genji: Perhaps I am a fool to think there is still hope for you. But I do.

[Genji turns back towards Hanzo. Wavering, Hanzo lets down the arrow without firing.]

Genji: Think on that, brother.

[Genji vanishes is a cloud of smoke, leaving behind the feather Hanzo had laid out. Hanzo lowers his bow and replaces his arrow in his quiver before heading back inside.]

5uZTn0X.jpg

Top Bottom