• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch dropping paid loot boxes this month

Draugoth

Gold Member
overwatch_loot_box.jpg

Overwatch players will no longer be able to buy loot boxes after August 30, Blizzard has confirmed. While paid loot boxes will be going away August 30, players will still be able to earn them through gameplay until Overwatch 2 releases, currently set for October 4.

The company has said loot boxes will not be used in Overwatch 2 and the original game will no longer be playable after the sequel launches. Any unopened loot boxes in players' accounts will be automatically opened for them prior to the launch of Overwatch 2. (All cosmetics won through loot boxes in the original game will transfer over to the sequel.)

Blizzard has taken a variety of approaches to loot boxes in recent years. While it has removed paid loot boxes from Heroes of the Storm and now the Overwatch franchise, it has continued to use them (or conceptually similar offerings) in Hearthstone and the recently launched Diablo Immortal. Earlier this year, Blizzard won a court ruling by having a law suit about Overwatch loot boxes relegated to arbitration. It is also facing a proposed class action suit over Hearthstone's loot boxes.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This I don't get. Are people going to start suing Topps and Upper Deck over Baseball/Basketball/Football cards and WOTC over Magic: The Gathering cards? Hearthstone packs are just digital versions of those.

This only states lootboxes for overwatch 1... I suspect what they mean is they don't want anyone getting any of the new loot rotation for overwatch 2 by saving loot boxes up before 2 launches.

If they are dropping it completely great, but there is no mention of not using Lootboxes for overwatch 2.

ManaByte

This only states lootboxes for overwatch 1... I suspect what they mean is they don't want anyone getting any of the new loot rotation for overwatch 2 by saving loot boxes up before 2 launches.

If they are dropping it completely great, but there is no mention of not using Lootboxes for overwatch 2.

No the article says they're facing a lawsuit over Hearthstone packs. Which like I said doesn't make sense because then you'll have to sue every trading card manufacturer on the planet and outlaw them being sold in packs in stores.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No the article says they're facing a lawsuit over Hearthstone packs. Which like I said doesn't make sense because then you'll have to sue every trading card manufacturer on the planet and outlaw them being sold in packs in stores.

Ah sorry thought it was more in line with how that might effect loot boxes in Overwatch 2.

Then essentially... yes as an outcome it could happen, at least to the digital versions of these games.

However physical items and digitally held items are two diffrent thing's it's kind of what the idea behind NFT's tried to solve before it was warped into a money making scam very quickly.

Essentially a physical item and a digital item are treated completely differently, for example there's a game called second life where people can sell me a digital home, does that have the same legal application as if I bought real property? The answer is of course no and the same thing applies to digital trading cards because their not real. The ability to physically hold something in your hand goes a long way.

So the fallout is that it would make sense to directly effect other digital versions of card games, but have no effect on the physical side of the business, it would need further cases directly against that side of the business to make any change there.

But as an easy alternative... they could just move to prebuilt deck packs rather than RNG card packs, people buy those all the time when I used to work in retail, often selling out far quicker than the little booster packs, always some kid wanting the latest championship deck with a shiny EX whatever on the front.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

When you open a pack of baseball or MTG cards, you don't know what you're getting. It's the same type of "gambling" people are claiming digital card packs are.
Kind of but you can still trade and maintain ownership outside of others control. It is only similar.

wipeout364

The article says paid loot boxes will not be in Overwatch 2. Interestingly it says Overwatch 1 will no longer be playable after Overwatch 2 launches.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The article says paid loot boxes will not be in Overwatch 2. Interestingly it says Overwatch 1 will no longer be playable after Overwatch 2 launches.
This was known.
They announced that a while ago.
No paid lootboxes in OW2 and no Overewatch after OW2 launches.

But its still weird that they would force EOL a title that still has a lot of players.
If it was F2P I would understand but Overwatch costs money.
They are banning you from playing a game you paid for even if its still alive.

From a business standpoint I understand, they want everyone to migrate to Overwatch 2......still kinda scummy.

SCB3

When you open a pack of baseball or MTG cards, you don't know what you're getting. It's the same type of "gambling" people are claiming digital card packs are.
And it doesn’t fit the definition of gambling, to me gambling means you can lose what you put it, with loot boxes and TCG you always get something

Tbh Overwatch is the best version of lootboxes tbh earn able and purely cosmetic

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I know this debate is about loot boxes, but fuck Blizzard for disabling overwatch when overwatch 2 arrives.

I can still play cod 4 mw despite there's been several releases after it.

ManaByte

I know this debate is about loot boxes, but fuck Blizzard for disabling overwatch when overwatch 2 arrives.

I can still play cod 4 mw despite there's been several releases after it.

All of the OW1 maps are in OW2. So I don't really see the problem.

Basically this. And the argument cannot really be made that one is virtual and the other is physical because - using that logic - they could be sued for selling anything in game (even using direct money to buy something). Hey, let's sue Apple for selling "virtual" games on their app store...

The real reason why they are being sued is because they're virtual loot boxes; not just because they're virtual. Oh, they're probably also being sued because they're Activision and - in a litigious society - going after the ones with all the monizes is the thing to do.

Banned
them removing the free level up loot boxes is not a good idea.
having that as a way for progression would keep the playerbase way more active I bet... and Overwatch needs every bit of player retention it can get

STARSBarry

Gold Member
To be fair I believe this is one of the games Microsoft are using as prime example that the merger can go ahead because Activision Blizzard don't produce anything of consequence.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Fuz

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
All of the OW1 maps are in OW2. So I don't really see the problem.
The problem is I have to buy access to play them again.

I can still play old cods that has the same maps as the remastered versions.

None of my cods are obsolete.

Ow1 is a tile filler wasted in my library

rubenburgt

It doesn't matter if the game has lootboxes or not, the game will remain shit.

Terrible balancing, no communication and greedy practices.

I give this game 3 months max, and that's me being very optimistic.

Banned
The problem is I have to buy access to play them again.

I can still play old cods that has the same maps as the remastered versions.

None of my cods are obsolete.

Ow1 is a tile filler wasted in my library

? you are aware that Overwatch 2 is free 2 play right?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have a feeling that Overwatch 2 will be a video game that will be talked about a lot, because of how bad it will be.

It has had too many problems since early development of the game was leaked, along with controversy.

I definitely have a feeling that it will be much lower than the first.

Reactions: Fuz

Cyberpunkd

This I don't get. Are people going to start suing Topps and Upper Deck over Baseball/Basketball/Football cards and WOTC over Magic: The Gathering cards? Hearthstone packs are just digital versions of those.
That’s the thing - with physical you get something tangible you can sell or trade, with digital cards you do not. It’s just replicable pixel art.

Last edited:

Banned
That’s the thing - with physical you get something tangible you can sell or trade, with digital cards you do not. It’s just replicable pixel art.

getting tradable and tangible things makes it arguably more similar to gambling than most loot boxes

stuff like CS:GO are an exception here since you can trade that stuff

Last edited:
How AB deployed lootboxes in OW was the least controversial method of the practice. Early-on there were issues, but they readily addressed and fixed them (duplication rates, odds, etc.).

Despite not constituting gambling, they can be viewed as predatory, particularly when they're aware that a large amount of their player base is within the 12-17 years range. That is a problem AB does not need on its plate, plus I believe that even they recognize that the whales will bypass spending money on lootboxes if there is a time-based earning equivalent (my mind jumps to certain streamers who had thousands of unopened lootboxes for the hell of it). So the model only targeted those who wanted keep pace with the playing segment of the community, a demographic that rapidly disappeared as the game aged.

People have sued and courts have already acknowledged that card packs are gambling. However, the issue is that until now, plaintiffs didn't have standing. You have to prove a sufficient connection to harm or damages and that threshold hasn't been met yet.

These companies have been playing with fire and pushing the envelope more and more. The more predatory they get, the greater chance a plaintiff is going to be able to prove harm.

Three

The suit is because they did not publish odds. Baseball/Basketball and Football cards print the odds in the small print.

Last edited:
That's specifically about chase cards (like the rare autograph cards), not the packs themselves.
What? The case was about packs containing chase cards. WOTC includes "chase" cards all the time in their premium pack offerings, but no one is going to be able to prove standing in a case against them either. Doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Still this argument in 2022 🤣🤣🤣

DragonNCM

I have a feeling that Overwatch 2 will be a video game that will be talked about a lot, because of how bad it will be.

It has had too many problems since early development of the game was leaked, along with controversy.

I definitely have a feeling that it will be much lower than the first.
You are right my friend, it will be bad for us......but you missing other point....it will be good for Blizzard :)

AREYOUOKAY?

This kind of sucks because battle passes or straight up buying a single item for $20-50 is far far worse. At least in Overwatch 1 you could get as many loot boxes as you want for free.

Last edited:

LRKD

This sucks! Overwatch 1 actually had a really good lootbox system tbh. Buying lootboxes is cringe, but the way overwatch 1 worked you never felt the need to buy skins, just play the game enough and save up some gold from free loot boxes and you could get all the skins you wanted.

I have no faith that they'll somehow do it better in Overwatch 2, especially after that survey asking players about $50 skins. Also really shit to force players into overwatch 2, it's gonna be a totally different game, and it sucks to lose access to the original.

Top Bottom