• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League Season 1 | Stage 5 Grand Finale

shira

S1yiHxa.png
Edit
5TEcnOJ.png

The inaugural Overwatch League (OWL) is Blizzard's foray into bigtime E-sports. With a reported $10-20M franchise cost Blizzard has setup the first season into Four 5 Week Stages with 12 games (1 game = 4 maps) running Wednesday to Saturday from January to June where 12 teams fight for the 6 playoff spots. Over 270 maps in the Regular Season alone.

IKve7lM.png
$3.5M USD has been allocated for the first OWL season of which at least 1.75M is guaranteed for the players.

- $500k USD for 4x Stage Playoffs
The 2nd and 3rd best teams of each of the four Stages play each other with the Winner playing the 1st seed for a $125k USD prizepool for the top 3 teams.
1st $100k USD​
2nd 25k​
3rd 0k​

- $1.3M USD in prizemoney for final standings placement:
1st $300k USD​
2nd 200k​
3-4th 150k​
5-6th 100k​
7-8th 75k​
9-10th 50k​
11-12th 25k​

- $1.7M USD prizepool OWL Playoffs for top teams in the Atlantic and Pacific team qualify while the 4 next best teams regardless of Division qualify as Wildcards. The top 6 teams and Grand Finals which will be held in July:
1st $1M USD​
2nd 400k​
3-4th 100k​
5-6th 50k​
In addition, all players receive a $50k USD base salary, health insurance, retirement savings, housing and are eligible for at least 50% of the team prizepool winnings.

For a team of 6 the highest possible salary could be $333k USD before taxes winning every stage, first place standing and winning the playoffs (assuming the owner takes a 0% cut, $191k for a 50% cut), on a team of 12 the lowest possible salary could be 51k. This is in stark contrast to Valve games where players are directly paid 100% of the winnings after taxes but there are no other frills.

U7DI3lF.png
Plans are for teams to have their own home stadiums and for teams to visit each other like the NFL system they are copying. For now most games are going to be played in Blizzard's own in-house Esports Arena with seating of around 300 in the stands.
p9eD8DO.jpg

There is also about 150 floor seats and custom high definition wall screens which change color and pattern for each team and act as monitors and reinforce team colors
BEImRNQ.jpg

qmoSslV.png
owl-team-logos.png

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/teams
- 12 Teams in 2 Divisions
- Teams consist of 6-12 players with no country restrictions.
- Players can be swapped out in between maps.
- Players must be 18yo to play, so some players are on rosters waiting for their birthdays.
- Jan 22 marked the opening of the mid-season signing period. Unsigned players can be signed to a new team for the start of Stage 2 (Feb 21).
- Teams can trade players starting on Feb 11 (when Stage 1 ends)
- The rosters will be locked Apr 3 until the end of OWL S1.

https://compete.kotaku.com/a-viewers-guide-to-overwatch-league-1821908160
Atlantic Division
63GN6Aj.png
London Spitfire
Owners: Cloud9, an American esports organization based in LA
What to know: The Spitfire epitomizes the ridiculousness of Overwatch League’s location-based branding, with owners based in California, a team name that claims to be from London, and a roster comprised entirely of South Korean players. The roster mashes together players from GC Busan and KongDoo Panthera, the latter of which has been one of Overwatch’s most successful lineups, particularly in APEX Season 3. If these two teams can figure out how to recombine their two lineups into new alignments, Spitfire could end up being the team that gives the Dynasty a real challenge this season.
87anKHo.png
Florida Mayhem
Owners: Misfits Gaming, British esports organization
What to know: In yet another confusing location jamboree, this Florida-based team is owned by Brits and has a mostly Swedish roster. With only six pros signed, they’re the smallest team in the league, and in preseason, it didn’t seem like these guys could keep up. Most of the players appeared on Sweden’s Overwatch World Cup team, where they made it through the semifinals but got knocked out in the quarterfinals. Put them squarely in the “scrappy underdogs” category.
CxxLhmL.png
Philadelphia Fusion
Owners: Comcast
What to know: The Philly Fusion was the only team that had to bail completely on Overwatch League preseason. They pulled out at the last second, probably due to visa troubles. What’s more, the team’s tank player, Su-min “Sado” Kim, recently got a suspension for boosting, which is when a player levels up other people’s Overwatch accounts in exchange for cash. Philly’s got a decent roster, but we haven’t seen them play together yet, so we have no idea how good they are right now.
zU64qSe.png
Houston Outlaws
Owners: OpTic Gaming
What to know: With Jacob “JAKE” Lyon, Matt “coolmatt” Iorio and Shane “Rawkus” Flaherty all hailing from the USA’s Overwatch World Cup team, the Houston Outlaws are setting themselves up as the all-American Overwatch team this year. South Korea’s team eliminated the USA during the World Cup, so the narrative has already been set up for any showdown between the Outlaws and Seoul Dynasty. The Dynasty and the Fuel already beat the Outlaws during preseason, though, so these players have their work cut out for them.
qLYF2jU.png
Boston Uprising
Owners: Robert Kraft, New England Patriots owner
What to know: The Uprising has the opposite of the blueblood pedigree of its NFL parent. With a roster full of second-stringers and young unknowns, the Uprising came into preseason surprising everyone by not being that bad. The team managed to beat the Shanghai Dragons 3-2, and lost 3-1 to their natural rivals in New York Excelsior. Unlike most of the other teams, Boston has four support players, which should serve them well given how much of the current meta relies on multiple supports, with someone always on Mercy… although, that could change at any time.
6ZgPLAT.png
NY Excelsior
Owners: Jeff Wilpon New York Mets COO
What to know: New York already had to play Boston during preseason, and they’ll open the regular season against each other. Unlike the Krafts, the Wilpons decided to go the route of only drafting South Korean Overwatchplayers, including most of the members of the team LW Blue. The team also signed Yeon-oh “Fl0w3R” Hwang, yet another player too young to compete yet; he won’t turn 18 until May, most of the way through the first season. He’ll be worth the wait, as shown by his versatility with multiple characters during Overwatch World Cup. In the preseason, they beat Boston and lost to Seoul.

Pacific Division
QSgMQ2X.png
SF Shock
Owners: Andy Miller, NRG Esports chairman and co-owner, Sacramento Kings co-owner. Plus, investments from Shaq, Marshawn Lynch, J.Lo, and more
What to know: Overwatch League player salaries start at $50K, but the SF Shock’s star DPS player Jay “sinatraa” Won negotiated a much higher paycheck than that. ESPN reported the 17-year-old pro will be taking in $150,000, but he can’t play in the league until he turns 18 this March. Even without their star DPS player, the Shock played better than expected during preseason. The team’s nine-man roster is dominated by DPS players, which means that the roster will be easy to fill in until Jay Won comes of age.
UlfZl5H.png
LA Valiant
Owners: Immortals, an esports organization that went all in on Blizzard’s Overwatch League, only to then get the cold shoulder from Riot Games. Immortals’ 22-year-old CEO Noah Whinston told Venture Beat he hopes to “kick some ass on Robert Kraft” and plans to “deal out some tough blows to the traditional sports owners.”
What to know: The LA Valiant had a good preseason, including a win against the LA Gladiators (yes, Los Angeles has two Overwatch League teams, for some reason) as well as a win against the San Francisco Shock, the team they’ll face again on opening day. This time, the Valiant will have star DPS player Brady “Agilities” Girardi, who just turned 18 in December. By the way, the other LA team is owned by Stan Kroenke, so the LA residents who’d prefer to root against traditional sports billionaires should make sure to raise a flag for the Valiant rather than the Gladiators.
JWG5vR2.png
Shanghai Dragons
Owners: NetEase, a Chinese internet tech company
What to know: Shanghai Dragons have a stacked roster of talented Chinese players, three of whom appeared in the top 8 in Overwatch World Cup this past year. But the team fell flat during preseason, and its future seems a little rocky: their coach recently got fined for account sharing, as well as for communicating with other Overwatch pro players without getting permission from management.
y5CgvN1.png
LA Gladiators
Owners: Stan and Josh Kroenke, owners of Arsenal, the LA Rams, and so much more
What to know: LA Gladiators’ roster has a couple of notable standouts, like Lane “Surefour” Roberts, who helped bring Canada’s Overwatch World Cup team to grand finals. There’s also Aaron “Bischu” Kim, notable for playing pro in a totally different esport, League of Legends. Surefour’s sharp shooting should help elevate the team up from the middle of the pack, but Surefour’s also known for his hotheaded personality, such as in this post-match interview last year during which he claimed to have “played fine personally,” unlike the rest of his team. Way to be a cliche DPS player, guy.
wDJR8Ub.png
Dallas Fuel
Owners: Team EnVyUs, plus millions of investments from oil and energy magnate Kenneth Hersh, hence the “Fuel” team name
What to know: The Fuel have a stacked roster with a tendency for drama. DPS player Félix “xQc” Lengyel got hit with a week-long suspension from Blizzard thanks to some false reports he filed to troll people during a live Twitch broadcast. There’s also Timo “Taimou” Kettunen, who got fined for making a “lewd comment” about an interviewer, and who also appeared in a video (now removed) doing a dramatic reading of the leaked horny DMs of one of his esports rivals. Despite those two, the roster EnVyUs has collected was strong enough to attract the attention of Brandon “Seagull” Larned, former Team Fortress 2 pro and popular Twitch streamer. Seagull claimed he got multiple offers and chose the Dallas Fuel.
CPa9xbH.png
Seoul Dynasty
Owners: KSV eSports
What to know: The Seoul team is made up of the players from Lunatic Hai, three of whom appeared on the winning Overwatch World Cup team, taking home the trophy for South Korea. Lunatic-Hai has become renowned as the best Overwatch team in the world, with multiple first-place finishes at APEX. They were the only team to win three times during their preseason round. Good luck to everybody else!

Each team has in game skins(palette swap colors) for every hero.
The good news is the first one is free.
5vZvi4b.jpg

Physical goods are also on sale in person at the Blizzard Arena or online
ImXlGWs.jpg

40TXOCV.png

The official Mobile OWL app on iOS and Android can help you keep track of your favorite team on the go.
ESPN also does a nice job with short written recaps.
theScore Esports and Liquipedia list the results with no recap.
Ashkon is doing video ~10m game recaps and post-game interviews

sLgn5vv.png
You can watch the games live on Blizzard's OWL site or on Twitch.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Is Overwatch entertaining to watch?

The last match of the night (Dallas vs Seoul) was lots of fun to watch. IMO, You still have to have some basic knowledge of the game to understand what is going on, but the team and ability coloring does help a lot.

I think having 40 games each is way too ambitious for something like this starting out, especially since some of the teams yesterday looked pretty bad overall. I really only see people tuning in to watch the power house teams (like 3 of the 12 teams) and expect the in house “arena” to be quite empty in a month or two. That’s my prediction anyway.

Last edited:

shira

The Overwatch theatre has about 120-150 seats. It's Blizzard in California. Some kids will always go just to be on "TV" or twitch

The one they used for Blizzcon/World Cup is much bigger.

Xiaoki

It can be, but so far OWL has been pretty dull outside a few moments.

Every freaking game and every freaking team its Mercy, D.Va, Winston, Zenyatta, Tracer and Genji running the same freaking dive strategy.

Blizzard really needs to rethink what they are doing with Overwatch.

shira

Sadly it looks like a lot of teams are going to get dumpstered with no chance of improving.
There is no 1st round draft pick for coming in last so player recruiting/poaching is going to be key.

I expect the top teams to be good matches

Last edited:

Blam

Sadly it looks like a lot of teams are going to get dumpstered with no chance of improving.
There is no 1st round draft pick for coming in last so player recruiting/poaching is going to be key.

I expect the top teams to be good matches
I really don't like this since it's gonna be really hard to get any real fun match ups like this. The teaming system I don't like since then we don't get good match ups like the CS Scene.

shira

I think Blizzard is really fucking up by not doing some team and player branding.
Casual viewers do not know any of the players or how good they are.
There really should be some stats and meta so that it's more easily understandable from a super casual POV

Does look more like a random matches then world finals, people keep going in solo, not reseting.
Yes, sadly that's one huge risk you take when you do a league format.
If the teams are not good you have games nobody is going to want to watch, but these fans are just cheering everytime the camera is on them.

The hope is that everyone improves over the course of the season.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I enjoyed watching Soulburn and what was the other guy ... CERN or something ... on the Philly team, when they got going they were just demolishing the other side. Those two dps were dominant at times

nice OP.

I play OW casually and had some fun with some buddies doing stupid stuff like Sym/Torb combo or just play whatever we want without thinking about if it'll help or hurt the team, especially since we only play in quick play and never in ranked anyway. my reaction time is simply not good enough to play a lot of the hero's like Widow or Genji and every time I watch the OWL matches I got reminded of that. still, these pro games are fun to watch from time to time. not too sure about Blizzard going for the whole E-sport thing but I guess we'll see how well it goes for them once the season ends.

shira

So it looks like Seoul is coming up as the clear favorite with another dominating win to go 3-0.
Florida and Shanghai are both 0-3.

Today is a later start but we have NY and LA.V (both undefeated) going head to head.

DonF

Anyone knows of a good youtube channel to see highlights of the day/match/league? I can't keep up with the schedule and the streaming 8(

lefty1117

Gold Member
Looks like Florida is going to be pretty bad this season. Only putting 6 players on their roster is going to prove to be a terrible move by the GM. It just seems like they never have a good strategy and they are winging it ... maybe it's more a coaching issue than a player skill issue? And I spent my free tokens on a Mayhem skin >.<

Guess I"ll have to put my stock into the Fusion, who look like a pretty good team, especially their DPS players.

I have to admit I'm having a much more fun time watching these matches and getting to know the players than I thought I would, and I'm learning quite a lot by watching and listening to the announcers, a couple of them being quite good at imparting knowledge.

shira

Florida and Dallas are so fucking bad

Dallas is bad and garbage

Dallas player got banned for a week for this :
dukenuk3m said:
His team lost and they were interviewing one of the players of the winning team. The player they interviewed is openly gay. He used one of xQc's catch phrases as a taunt in the interview. xQc found out and told the guy to go 'suck a dick.'

edit: forgot to include the, 'you'll probably like it,' he tacked on at the end.

edit(x2): Muma Interview -- xQc reaction (NSFW)
1pHvj45.png

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I want to turn my fuel skins back in and exchange for London or New York.

Fuel have been embarrassing :-(

shira

I want to turn my fuel skins back in and exchange for London or New York.

Fuel have been embarrassing :-(
I feel like that is the downside of the OWL format.
You have these guys all locked in for 7 months at 50k salaries.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I feel like that is the downside of the OWL format.
You have these guys all locked in for 7 months at 50k salaries.

I honestly feel this is what will crush the league as what team owner is going to want to go through what the dragons are going through right now? They are getting bodied every single game and I don’t think there is any amount of practice to save this team. I get all pro sports have their terrible joke teams, but having 2 or 3 teams they are crushing the rest like we have now is not going to grow this league anymore.

I will optimistically wait til march area to survey the scene then though.

Last edited:

Owari

This shit is so boring. Of course Korea was always going to win. They should do an OWL without Korea, that might actually be exciting.

rubenburgt

It could be, but I don't think it's ready for esports yet.

As someone else has pointed out, the teams only uses the same team compositions over and over again resulting in mirror matches. There are 26 characters in the game, but we only get to see 8 characters being used. And it are only the fast moving heroes that are being used (Dive Meta). And Blizzard decided to use only a few maps for the OWL.

Sometimes do you see a good match with less picked characters, but most of the times is it just the same as the previous matches.

Players have been complaining about this a lot on the forums and reddit and that Blizzard doesn't balance the game properly. And I don't blame them to be honest. Underpowered heroes are ignored for 2 years have less than 1 hour minutes playtime in the whole OWL while Mercy has a playtime of 38 hours in the whole OWL.

Pickrate and playtime of heros in OWL:

But like I said, the matches can be fun to watch sometimes.

And there are a lot of South Korean players btw. Nothing wrong with that, but some teams have South Korean players flew over so they could be part of their teams. That's just... weird. Take London Spitfire as an example. It's an EU based team, but it consists only out of South Koreans.

Last edited:

Talonz

Twitch chat is the only reason this match is entertaining. GivePlz TAKE OUR ENERGY DRAGONS GivePlz.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Own stadium sounds unrealistically expensive. I hope Blizzard is actually footing some of the bill. If they're letting teams sink or swim, and have to take care of venue costs, that'd be utter shit of them to do that.

shira

Own stadium sounds unrealistically expensive. I hope Blizzard is actually footing some of the bill. If they're letting teams sink or swim, and have to take care of venue costs, that'd be utter shit of them to do that.
They have mini stadiums in China as part of League and Dota 2. Korea obviously has them for Starcraft and LoL, but it's also quite a bit cheaper to build and have regular use outside of OWL.

The owners paid the $10-20M franchise fee so they have money to burn. For regular folk it's incredibly hard to process how much money these owners have, but what they are buying into is an investment that will pay off in 10-20 years not a quick turnaround.

Building a brand new NYC stadium would be incredibly expensive. They are honestly better off just using a really nice movie theater or theater. That kind of setup will already have a super high quality AV system, large screen, food, 500+ seats and security. I'm guessing they will just use Madison Square Garden's 2000 seat theater.

Who knows. To my brain it's incredibly dumb to fly around the world for regular season games but these guys might be rolling in money. Maybe they are thinking of doing promo videos for local tourism or getting airline/airplane sponsors.

DonF

I would love it if the best team played off meta, just for a change, to see what they can do.

Talonz

I would love it if the best team played off meta, just for a change, to see what they can do.

I keep waiting for a team to pull out Symmetra when they know the other team won't be using Dive. Just because she'll get a couple kills at the very least because nobody would be expecting it.

Xiaoki

You see off-meta team comps sometimes at the beginning of a round. But then, the other team runs the standard dive comp, pounces the off-meta, the off-meta start dying and slowly what started as an off-meta team becomes the standard D.Va, Winston, Tracer, Mercy, Zen and Other composition.

Seen this scenario happen a bunch of times so far in OWL. It's very predictable and very boring.

bigedole

Yesterday's games were awesome! Was amazing watching Boston be the first team to upset one of the full KR rosters, and then for Philly to do it right after was crazy. Really great games, for today I'm not sure if I want the Fuel to get a win and hopefully start digging their way out of this slump, or lose to the Shock for the luls.

WaterAstro

They have mini stadiums in China as part of League and Dota 2. Korea obviously has them for Starcraft and LoL, but it's also quite a bit cheaper to build and have regular use outside of OWL.

The owners paid the $10-20M franchise fee so they have money to burn. For regular folk it's incredibly hard to process how much money these owners have, but what they are buying into is an investment that will pay off in 10-20 years not a quick turnaround.

Building a brand new NYC stadium would be incredibly expensive. They are honestly better off just using a really nice movie theater or theater. That kind of setup will already have a super high quality AV system, large screen, food, 500+ seats and security. I'm guessing they will just use Madison Square Garden's 2000 seat theater.

Who knows. To my brain it's incredibly dumb to fly around the world for regular season games but these guys might be rolling in money. Maybe they are thinking of doing promo videos for local tourism or getting airline/airplane sponsors.
Yeah, I'm thinking of the American teams in this case. If they made every team build a stadium, that would be so damn expensive, even if they were renting a venue. Land is so expensive to buy and maintain. There's a reason why Riot made League teams funnel into LA so they can just make one venue used by every team.

shira

The mid-season signing period has opened and players can be signed to a new team for the start of Stage 2.
Teams can trade players starting on Feb 11 (when Stage 1 ends)
The rosters will be locked April 3rd until the end of OWL S1.

Dallas have added AKm

I was reading that some teams want 12 players on roster so that they can scrim 6v6 internally without revealing any strats or picks.

shira

Shanghai 4-0'd again to drop to 0-7
Seoul also get 4-0'd by London in another Korea vs Korea matchup

shira

Apparently Geguri has signed with an OWL team.
First major female player in a major esport's league
The team doesn't have to play her but I think it's a huge step for gender equality in pro gaming.
She was one of the early top Overwatch leaderboard players but she got harassed for cheating when people found out she was a girl.

Grimmrobe

Some of my friends who are borderline-pro TF2 players tell me that amongst high-level FPS 'e-sportsmen', Overwatch is considered to be pretty low skill. All the pro TF2 players have moved to Overwatch now, because that's where the money is, but the majority of them would much rather be playing TF2 because it's much more complex at a high level. Overwatch has lots of gloss covering not much substance, basically, whereas TF2 you need at least like 1k hours just to master rollouts.

shira

The final week of Stage 1 is all in-conference games

London and New York seem to have locked up two of the final three playoff spots. Barring some major upset from Houston or Florida.
Seoul getting upset by LA.V yesterday means that Seoul has to beat SF on Friday and gain +2 or else lose out the last playoff spot to LA.V who are playing league joke Shanghai

shira

The final day of Stage 1 marks a jumbo day of games starting with #1 and #2 teams New York and London who will probably be playing later today in the Stage Finals.

Right now the playoffs are assured for New York 8-1 +20

London 7-2 +16
LA.V 7-3 +13
Houston 6-3 +16

But the next two teams are up in the air.
London needs to not get shutout for 2nd place
Houston needs a win for 3rd place

Top Bottom