• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.N.03 deserve a second chance

P.N.03. was an interesting, undercooked concept. It has style and some neat ideas, but it's surprisingly clumsy for a Mikami game, and the shooting is straight-up boring.

It's just one of those weird little oddities of a game. Something that should have been special, but really wasn't it. It'll live on as a trivia question in ten years.

Great fucking game. I don't even care if it's repetitive, short and challenging. It is what it is.

I love the sleek sci-fi atmosphere and character design. And just imagine dat ass in HD.

She's like the female, non dystopian version of Adam Jensen of Deus EX: HR.

2DeusExHumanRevolution-AdamJensen.jpg

I always liked her design. Reminds me a lot of Lady from DMC.
She has like what, twelve palette swaps of the same suit?
And I'm counting even the last. This reminds me I must still made a playthrough with that...
Still perplexed about the pouches, however: what there is in, extra lives?

Now I'm thinking of, Vanessa can be seen also as a prototype for the REvelations' Jill
ass. ;P

We should at least have a Garry's mod download of the character model but we don't even have that.

At least the model was ripped and exportable as a .obj with XNALara:

Flipyap

WiiU games pad could do wonder with the gameplay.
What? HOW? It's a simplistic, clunky shooter about a tank with boobs, what could a second screen possibly add to it?

The game had lots of style, but every non-superficial aspect of it was pretty much a disaster. If anyone were to excavate the property in order to make a sequel, they'd have to reboot it so hard it would hardly even resemble the original and then you'd have to wonder if it's even worth dealing with Capcom just to put an utterly irrelevant title on the box. That is, assuming these imaginary rebooters care enough about the original game and aren't simply anxious to waste millions of dollars and years of their time just to bring back a particularly well-sculpted behind.

Kevtones

I've played and beaten Vanquish and it is not the spiritual successor to PN 03. Just no.

PN 03 is one of the misunderstood games out there. It's unconventional and would be absolutely amazing if played with a Donkey Konga-type controller.

Music is in RE Mercenaries I believe.

I started playing this for the first time recently, and I can't bring myself to agree with you OP.
Its pretty clumsy, the mechanics aren't explained particularly well, the world is pretty bland and the shooting is incredibly basic. It would need a drastic overhaul to be anywhere near workable by modern standard.

I think realistically this is no better or worse than any other mid-tier generic third person shooter from the PS2/Gamecube generation, it just has a sexualised protagonist so people care a little more.

Case in point. Game isn't about 'the depth of the shooting' it's about connecting to the rhythm. Each room is designed as a puzzle and it forces the player to utilize their moveset/rhythm to accommodate the layout. Yeah, some of the rooms are bland and less-interesting, but there's high-level of play in the game. See the Eurogamer quote - this is one of the most 'in-the-zone' games I've ever played.

I will say that starting the game off in that barren field was a really bad idea. It was one of the worst environments in the game and was at odds with what made the game special.

fernoca

One of my favorite games ever...kinda got tired of praising it as it was like talking to a rock. But did my part: preordered, got the bonus glasses, later...bought 2 extra copies for friends.

And I'm gay...so saying that those that liked it did because of the character..well, she was a great character (and the twist at the end was a nice touch). But as far as sexualized characters, I rather look at a shirtless REmake Chris dancing like Vanessa. :p

daemonic

Banned
I enjoyed it for what it was and still pick it up every now and then for some mindless fun. Was really hoping for a sequel but it's a given we'll never see this character again given how Capcom is treating its IPs these days. Vanessa would have been a great addition to MvsC3 world though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I liked the game a lot and I think it deserves a second chance to expand on the premise of the game. Better Level Design, Better enemy design and more moves for Vanessa and I'm sold.

I can't see how a sequel to it wouldn't just be the worst thing ever. I loved the game, but like many movies, etc. without the right team, (and even with) there's no guarantee a sequel would be any good.

oblo

I'd be allover a sequel, absolutely loved that game... Have been dreaming about a 3DS version actually, but whatever platform will do.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've played and beaten Vanquish and it is not the spiritual successor to PN 03. Just no.

PN 03 is one of the misunderstood games out there. It's unconventional and would be absolutely amazing if played with a Donkey Konga-type controller.

Music is in RE Mercenaries I believe.

Case in point. Game isn't about 'the depth of the shooting' it's about connecting to the rhythm. Each room is designed as a puzzle and it forces the player to utilize their moveset/rhythm to accommodate the layout. Yeah, some of the rooms are bland and less-interesting, but there's high-level of play in the game. See the Eurogamer quote - this is one of the most 'in-the-zone' games I've ever played.

I will say that starting the game off in that barren field was a really bad idea. It was one of the worst environments in the game and was at odds with what made the game special.
Amen.

If anything PN03 has more in common with Rez.

Sgblues

Send this, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Okami and DMC over to Platinum for treatment and it would be great.

Hell you can send Sengoku basara, Dino Crisis, final fight, ghosts n' goblins and Megaman over as well.

Vazra

I can't see how a sequel to it wouldn't just be the worst thing ever. I loved the game, but like many movies, etc. without the right team, (and even with) there's no guarantee a sequel would be any good.

Well P.N.03 its actually not that hard to mess since the game was flawed in a lot of areas. I think the team behind Dragon's Dogma/DMC games can handle it and maybe do it as a PSN/XBLA game afterall the style of P.N.03 doesnt screams retail title by any means. Keep it short with nice variety and keep the rhythm gameplay into it and it should be fine.

I adore this game. I understand the alleged flaws in the game, but I see them as more of a bizarre design choice. I like the clean, plain look of the game. Everything just felt right about it. I don't know how else to explain it.

The soundtrack is also thoroughly badass. I would kill your mama for a remake, sequel, rerelease.... I don't care. More, please.

I started playing this for the first time recently, and I can't bring myself to agree with you OP.
Its pretty clumsy, the mechanics aren't explained particularly well, the world is pretty bland and the shooting is incredibly basic. It would need a drastic overhaul to be anywhere near workable by modern standard.

I think realistically this is no better or worse than any other mid-tier generic third person shooter from the PS2/Gamecube generation, it just has a sexualised protagonist so people care a little more.

If you're approaching the game like a third person shooter, no wonder you don't get it... as has been mentioned, PN 03 may look like one, but it isn't a third person shooter, not one bit. It's actually pretty much a shmup played from a third-person shooter perspective. Completely unique game, and brilliant... I don't think there's anything else quite like it.

But remember: it's a shmup, not a third person shooter! And it's a great shmup.

super repetitive and eh.

and I should have unlocked the thong outfit (black butterfly) but it didnt let me for some reason.

I don't want a sequel. Its not that good a game.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
P.N.0.3 was AMAZING.

An old-school vertical shooter but in 3rd person, and RHYTHMN-based rather than totally MINDLESS button-mashing. If you are going to MASH THINGS UP make sure you improve on the original concepts ...

... otherwise there is ZERO point I'm afraid. The Capcom 5 should never have left Nintendo, and I want to see Dead Phoenix revived if possible!

:D

CTLance

I love the game. Somewhere I still have a mousepad I got for preordering it.

Only thing that sort of bothered me: I am German. I know what those names mean. I cannot help but smirk when a biiig scawy fewocious dandelion attacks me. I mean... COME ON.

Wouldn't mind a P.N.04, but I very much doubt it could live up to its predecessor.

Well P.N.03 its actually not that hard to mess since the game was flawed in a lot of areas. I think the team behind Dragon's Dogma/DMC games can handle it and maybe do it as a PSN/XBLA game afterall the style of P.N.03 doesnt screams retail title by any means. Keep it short with nice variety and keep the rhythm gameplay into it and it should be fine.

But PN03 is brilliant because of everything that makes it what it is, flaws and all. Like I said, that's like telling people to remake a B movie, it usually can't be done.

AAK

I presume the developers of this game live on through platinum games? I'd rather they concentrate on new IP's.

I really loved a lot of ideas present in P.N.03 but damn did it feel half baked. Loved dancing through those patterns. It's definitely a game that deserves a modern revision/remake/spin off.

Frodo

I remember being hyped as hell for this game during the GC launch. Unfortunately, only managed to get a GC late in it's lifetime and the reviews pushed me away from this game, and back in the day there was no way I could rent or borrow it from someone. Since my budget was reaaaaally limited I decided to buy other games instead, and ended up never playing it... :(

Would love if Capcom would give it another chance. Or maybe Nintendo should Bayonetta2 this game?! This and Geist.

/wetdream

Kyari

If you're approaching the game like a third person shooter, no wonder you don't get it... as has been mentioned, PN 03 may look like one, but it isn't a third person shooter, not one bit. It's actually pretty much a shmup played from a third-person shooter perspective. Completely unique game, and brilliant... I don't think there's anything else quite like it.

But remember: it's a shmup, not a third person shooter! And it's a great shmup.

I think really that just ties back into one of my other complaints though, the game makes little attempt to communicate what it is or how to play it. I know games were different back then but maybe the modern method of hand hold teaching of gameplay mechanics isn't so bad after all.

I don't WANT to hate PN.0.3, I just don't get it. I can't work out how I'm meant to be playing it in a way that stops it being an awful third person shooter.

Sqorgar

Banned
I don't WANT to hate PN.0.3, I just don't get it. I can't work out how I'm meant to be playing it in a way that stops it being an awful third person shooter.
I think I was most of the way through the game before it clicked for me. I seem to remember some sort of mode where you can replay old levels, but the layouts were randomized or something. Then I realized that the actual shapes of the levels wasn't the important part, and that it was instead made up of a bunch of encounters. Then I realized that every encounter was designed such that you could beat them without taking any damage - there's a sort of rhythm to them. So then I stopped worrying about going through the levels to get to the end and concentrated on getting through each encounter as expertly as I could.

I'll be honest, I never would've gotten that far if I didn't have Vanessa's ass shaking in my face the whole time. But once the game clicked, I really, honestly started to enjoy it as a game and it's one of the few games I immediately started over after winning.

Vazra

But PN03 is brilliant because of everything that makes it what it is, flaws and all. Like I said, that's like telling people to remake a B movie, it usually can't be done.

There are B movies that get sequels. P.N.03 can keep the charm and improve some of the flaws. Main flaw for me was the level design and enemies tbh and that could be changed and not affect the game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It was janky a as fuck, but it was fun. My only gripe with it is that I traded it with a friend temporarily, and I got my copy of Wind Waker all scratched. :(

Kevtones

1st impression: the controls suck, this big brown field sucks

2nd: wow these corridors are annoying and repetitive

3rd: at least the music is good

4th: I guess I can navigate the corridors without turning

5th: weird, the music hits a downbeat on that enemies' shot - if I spin on beat I can shoot it and spin in and out of cover 4 times to kill it in rhythm.

6th: wait, it's that way for every enemy, every layout, in every room...

7th: holy shit

Was Kamiya involved in this game? It kinda has some of his style... specially on the gameplay.

No, but it was directed by Mikami.

I've tried to get into this game a few times, but I haven't ever been able to stay interested past a few minutes into the second stage.

Dambrosi

Banned
woopwoop.png

Well, P.N.03 might not be the prototype Vanquish, but Vanessa certainly was the prototype Bayonetta, what with the emphasis on graceful and rhythmic combat and movement.

Which reminds me that I have a copy of this game in my Wii at this exact moment. The only thing stopping me from playing it now is Winter Brawl 7 on twitchTV, and the fact that I have an appointment in the morning that I absolutely cannot be late for, so g'night guys.

Top Bottom