• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAC-MAN Champion Edition 2 - Trailer - September (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

BigMack

Yeeees!! Never played the original CE but loved CE DX. I've never done drugs but I imagine CE DX is what its like to play a game on acid.

Hope the achievements are more challenging though.

HarryKS

Well, the others can pack it up.

THIS IS the game you need to play.

First one was a monster. A bona-fide sleeper hit.

There is something about that trailer than I dont like. I think it is the music. The music feels like fake PacMan CE music. It reminds me of the bastardized Super Meat Boy tracks that was used in the PS4 version of the game. Hopefully it is just a bad choice of music for the trailer and there are better track choices within the game itself.

Jeels

I have been asking for the first, which I never played, on the PS4 forever.

This is one better. :)

Edit: WAIT UNO IS BACK?! SAYS WHO?

There is something about that trailer than I dont like. I think it is the music. The music feels like fake PacMan CE music. It reminds me of the bastardized Super Meat Boy tracks that was used in the PS4 version of the game. Hopefully it is just a bad choice of music for the trailer and there are better track choices within the game itself.

Let's be real, there's not a lot that can ever top Pac-Rainbow.

S1kkZ

i feel the same way, music in the trailer is awful. i hope we can select the pacman ce music.

Had a lot of fun with the first CE and I'm not the biggest fan of the original arcade classics. welI definitely keep any eye on this.

mollipen

All right, guys, with the benefit of hindsight: what's the better game-- CE or DX?

CE, and it isn't even a question. My problem with DX is probably the same problem I'll have with CE2: the idea that just throwing a bunch of "stuff" into the game makes it good.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with DX—but it's not anywhere close to the perfection of CE. The original Pac-Man was a simple yet complex core mechanic that needed very few gimmicks to offer stellar gameplay, and that's the same thing I'd say about CE. I think you could feel Toru Iwatani's hand in both of those games, where that idea of game design got lost in the fluff of DX.

mcw

Listen, CE was basically perfect. The only way you can make a sequel is by going bigger and broader. Embrace the fuckery.

Hmm. I guess I understand, I just wish there were a better way for perfect games like CE and GeoWars 2 to still be headliners on current gen consoles.

mollipen

Listen, CE was basically perfect. The only way you can make a sequel is by going bigger and broader. Embrace the fuckery.

Actually, it wasn't perfect in two ways: it needed a fast restart, and it needed a way to save, access, and share replays. The second isn't as much of a problem these days, but then again, the game isn't on all modern consoles.

Looks a bit too flashy and gimmicky, CE nailed the presentation for modern Pac-Man games and DX gave the gameplay a much needed shot in the arm with the ghost chaining - but DX is about the limit of how crazy I want classic style Pac-Man games to get.

Neiteio

Yeah, I'm not sure about how all this map-switching/giant ghost stuff works, but I imagine you can still play the classic modes from CE DX.

yyr

All right, guys, with the benefit of hindsight: what's the better game-- CE or DX?

DX by about 300 miles.

I can understand some folks not liking it as much because it seems to run on pre-determined patterns, but it isn't until you're gunning for the Time Attack leaderboards that you realize they're not quite as pre-determined as you thought. Also, the intensity of trying to nail every last precise movement is unmatched by...pretty much anything else. It took the concept and puffed a whole lot of fresh air (and intensity) into it.

An amazing game all around. But both are worth owning.

Edit: these are my personal opinions, of course...I know that some prefer the first game.

Neiteio

I did, I didn't know if you wanted to be mentioned by name so I decided not to. Thanks again for the game!
Well, the giveaway was a public thread! I'm just glad you enjoyed it. :)

I think that was around the time Pac-Man was announced for Smash, so it was a way of celebrating.

Ironically, this game is not coming to WiiU

dock

Am I the only one that preferred the original Pac-Man CE to the DX version?

I liked DX's gameplay additions but the graphics and gimmicks got a little heavy, and this looks like simply too much.

Looks a bit too flashy and gimmicky, CE nailed the presentation for modern Pac-Man games and DX gave the gameplay a much needed shot in the arm with the ghost chaining - but DX is about the limit of how crazy I want classic style Pac-Man games to get.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this.

Truly a retro megaton. Agree with all the praise for CE and DX here. I bought an Xbox 360 at least in part for PMCE. Definitely worth it.

Oddly enough I just played through the PSP version of Pac-Man Arrangement this morning (on the PS3 Pac Man Museum collection) and it looks like CE2 might be taking a few general ideas from that game, such as environmental objects and large bosses. Will be getting this Day One for sure.

ChaosXVI

I am so all over this. I played DX to death, and to this day I'm in the top 10 on the Ghost Combo for the Highway level.

I hope this one is just as addictive.

Dinjoralo

CE, and it isn't even a question. My problem with DX is probably the same problem I'll have with CE2: the idea that just throwing a bunch of "stuff" into the game makes it good.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with DX—but it's not anywhere close to the perfection of CE. The original Pac-Man was a simple yet complex core mechanic that needed very few gimmicks to offer stellar gameplay, and that's the same thing I'd say about CE. I think you could feel Toru Iwatani's hand in both of those games, where that idea of game design got lost in the fluff of DX.
I never played CE, but I'm getting that feeling from this trailer. It feels like there's lots of new stuff that doesn't really fit the simple elegance that DX was, for me. It looks like CE2's gonna have a bit too much bloat and fluff, presumably to justify an entirely new game. I guess Iwatani's not involved with this game?

yyr

Oddly enough I just played through the PSP version of Pac-Man Arrangement this morning (on the PS3 Pac Man Museum collection) and it looks like CE2 might be taking a few general ideas from that game, such as environmental objects and large bosses.

Do yourself an amazing service and check out the REAL Pac-Man Arrangement, originally released in 1996, if you haven't yet tried it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_Arrangement
That game implemented many of the same ideas, but with faster, more entertaining gameplay, and also included 2P simultaneous play. Console ports of this game are included in the Namcomuseum collections on PS2/Xbox OG/GameCube, as well as on the GBA Pac-Man Collection.

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0UpDQl-bsg

Did the ghosts in the first Pacman championship retain their tracking from the original Atari game? One went straight for you, one alway flanked, etc.

Top Bottom