• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man started development as a way to attract women to Japanese arcades

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this was an interesting tidbit about one of gaming's more well known series.

Mainichi said:
Pac-Man was released in 1980 by video game developer Namco (present-day Bandai Namco Entertainment) and took arcades around the world by storm. Iwatani, who was an employee at Namco at the time, later became a professor at Tokyo Polytechnic University Faculty of Arts' video game development department in 2007, where he now teaches game planning and programming.

"The development of Pac-Man started as a way to attract women to arcades, which were generally a men's playground. We thought that women liked to eat, so we came up with the idea of making a video game where a cute character eats little monsters rather than a savage video game where you kill your enemies," Iwatani recalls. He says the shape of Pac-Man was inspired by a pizza with one slice missing.
Source: http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20160102/p2a/00m/0na/003000c

Tizoc

It's a Japanese thing, pretty sure there was a video about the original Pacman's conception on youtube. Watched it months ago but forgot which one it is :X

Despite not being a woman, I like to eat, and I like Pac-Man. So their game was a success.

=P

What a weird thing to go on though.

Thought this was pretty well known. Oh did you know Pac-Man's Japanese name was Puck-Man but they had to change it for America because it can be easily vandalized. Pac-Man is so interesting.

Arnie7

Banned
vlcsnap-2011-08-01-20h45m37s137.png

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I dunno, guys. My Pacman Joke book from childhood told me he was modeled after a cheesecake with a slice removed.

I'm skeptical of this grand pizza theory.

Cess007

I remember reading this before. I always find it amusing. I remember reading the creator of Pac-man saying that he got the idea once he went to a restaurant and started paying attention to what the women next to him were talking (can't watch the video at work, dunno if this is also commented there)

Oneself

They followed the same planning when they came up with Candy Crush and it worked perfectly.
Flawless thinking and design my friends.

Flaw less.

PSqueak

Banned
Is this a japanese culture thing?

I am reminded of that Miyamoto interview where he describes Peach as a glutton.

I've heard this story before but the explanation wasn't that "women like to eat" but that at Really young ages before Boys and girls interests would start to differentiate more, they would both play "tag, you're it!" together so it's a game boys and girls can relate to

Fox318

to be fair if you grabbed a bunch of men up and made them try to come up with something targeted towards women it probably would sound like that.

"Well women have to eat right? We should make a game about eating"

entremet

yeah, women sure like to.. eat

what

Anyone who has worked in the restaurant industry knows this.

Most men tend to come with their opposite sex companions. While groups of women are more keen to eat out in restaurants regularly.

You can observe trends without being sexists.

Women also spend more money on food than men, according to market research, even if you factor in single person households.

The old lore back in the 80s (I was a teenager) was definitely that it was non-violent (in a sense...not shooting bullets like Space Invaders and Galaxian et al) and thus appealed more the the fairer sex (stereotyping, here, obviously, but some stereotypes are very true).

Not the eating thing.

So what happens when you eat them?

Think a moment about this. What are ghosts in the classical, pop cultural sense? Invisible apparitions that have sheets over them, thus giving them a physical appearance/form. What does Pac-Man do? He eats the sheets off the ghosts, sending the naked invisible ghost(only see its eyes because we need to know where they are in according to the game) back to their home base to don a new sheet. How the Ghosts can kill Pac-Man with a touch and why he can suddenly eat them after a power pellet and not before is an all different explanation. But yeah, if anything, the only violence in the game is seen from the Ghosts, themselves, towards Pac-Man(the dude's jaw is ripped open... ergh!). Ms.Pac-Man's death isn't bad, though. She just spins around.

Why does Ms. Pac-Man exist then?
Because guys can't fap to Pac-Man.

Top Bottom