• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Prediction: PS4 and Xbox 720 400$ or "99$ with subscription plan".

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't see how this subscription plan thing is going to work out...
They are going to get lots of people buying the $99 box and never fulfilling their subscriptions. Perhaps by using fake CC info or a prepaid debit card, whatever.
How can they avoid this?

gatti-man

Not sure what your talking about here but if thats how you feel then hey

256mb/256mb is a paultry amount of divided ram if you intend on running 720p assets. It's not how I feel that's a fact. Unless you expect everyone to build something from the ground up from your convoluted mess of cell+RSX(256+256) design it's pretty obvious your console will be second place with multiplats. So it wasn't an extreme gaming console.

I'm hoping Sony learned and releases a truly great machine this time around.

I would have to add up the costs to see which is the better deal. I like PS+ and will keep my subscription for a while. If it costs less for 99 + monthy fee vs 399.99 and PS+ subscription I will do the 99 deal. If the other way is cheaper I will do it that way.

Subscriptions will most likely be much more expensive over time, but a small amount per month is easier to digest than a lump sum even if you will lose 100$ over 2 years.

I don't see how this subscription plan thing is going to work out...
They are going to get lots of people buying the $99 box and never fulfilling their subscriptions. Perhaps by using fake CC info or a prepaid debit card, whatever.
How can they avoid this?

How do they do it right now? They probably have quite a bit of your info before you get the system. Plus the threat of ruined credit, wage garnishing and collection agency hassling.

Thoraxes

How do people still doubt that you can make a machine drastically more powerful than current ones a year from now for $400? The current PS3 already makes a profit at just $250 for God's sake....

People thought the Vita was going to be $350+ when it was unveiled too. They've clearly figured out ways to drive costs down quickly.

By forcing you to buy the proprietary memory separately and by taking a hit on every system made.

AzaK

Price doesn't matter. I will be getting both DAY 1!

I wish Nintendo felt like that too :) The XBOX made most of its units off core gamers. It's behind Nintendo for sure but it doesn't have Japan AT ALL. An argument could be made that a core machine with lots of tech AND a great casual/mainstream appeal could just do gangbusters.

Izick

So if you plan on buying XBL Gold anyway, why the hell wouldn't you do the 99$ plan? I mean unless you can only get a good HDD with the 400$ ones or something.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'd rather pay $700 for one time buy than get into subscription plans.

Front $700 for a games console?
Shit are you rolling in dough or you really have nothing better to spend money on.

If the plan and the console at the end of the day cost the same why would you not want to jump on the plan.

Lets assume its similar to the current X360 plan.

You could walk into a shop and leave with a console and 2 months of Live Gold/PSN+ for $99.

From there you only pay lets say 10 dollars a month for Gold/Plus access.

Ask me it seems like an alright deal....fronting a cent more than 500 dollars for a console is ludicrious.
$400 i could probably stomach, albeit suffering buyers remorse the moment the money leaves my account.

Shit, if the Maths of the new subscription is within 20 dollars of the launch price, I will jump on it.

The only reason the X360 subscription is seen as sorta bad is because with enough hustling and looking out for deals on Gold cards you can get a cheaper deal.

So if you plan on buying XBL Gold anyway, why the hell wouldn't you do the 99$ plan? I mean unless you can only get a good HDD with the 400$ ones or something.

I honstely dont understand why people would be so against this "option".
People are using the X360 deal as a gauge and the X360 subscription ends up being more expensive at the end of the 2 years than buying a console and hustling 2 years of Gold.

But if you are only jumping into consoles now and are definitely getting PSN+ or Gold....the deal should be sweet as fuck.

You're pretty much incapable of handling finances if you jump in on one of those 99$ deals where you sign up for Xbox live.

I pay 35$ a month for infinite text-messages, phone-calls and internet-usage for my phone, a contract I'm stuck with for two years. I calculated that after the time is over, I would've gotten my iPhone 4S and all of my phone-usage for around 900$, which is a pretty good deal when an iPhone 4S cost around 650$.

However, since you can buy prepaid-cards for Xbox Live, you are an idiot if you pay monthly direct to Microsoft.

dezzy8

$100 or $200, with some sort of subscription sounds good if the consoles are going to be as expensive as the PS3/360 were. I really need to start saving for these damn things.

Isn't Patcher like 0 for 321 with his predictions now?

Just saying!

And didn't he once say that basically people shouldn't listen to him?

Kokonoe

Banned
Really hope they improve the DPad on the 720 controller if it's just the 360 one.

Oh, and all controllers should be rubber and not plastic!

I'll be buying both the PS4 and 720 outright. I don't really care about a glorified payment plan when I can just pay and be done with it.

Top Bottom