• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter predicts the death of the console

wigwag85

Banned
I think phones are a bit of a red herring. The market is already saturated with good enough phones and the UI for actually playing all but the most basic of games sucks.

I think the real console killer is PC gaming. PCs are cheap, versatile, and most importantly, easy as fuck to use now. It's not the 90s any more.

In two years you will probably be able to get a prebuilt PC that's as good, if not better, than a PS4 for roughly the same price as a PS4. When has that ever happened before in the existence of consoles?

Hubble

The major issue is the advancement of mobile graphics is rapid. Every year people are buying new smartphones or the new iPhone, more so, than consoles or PCs, so that puts them at a disadvantage.

stop-picking-on-britney.jpg
Leave Michael alone!

Seriously though. It could happen.
But on the other hand: Who needs desktop PCs? Laptops can do everything they can! But apparently there are always enough people out there who don't get the memo.

NolbertoS

I feel bad for Jimquisition. Here Pachter, who has a business degree and for some unknown reason gets paid alot of money for wrong analysis and people in the industry and gaming mags give him his 15 minutes of fame, time and time again. If he stopped becoming a reverse prophet all the time and actually predicted some real predictions accurately, than maybe he deserves his 5-6 figures he earns telling gamers his opinions are facts.

While Jimquisition who seems to predict some gaming trends and becomes fact doesn't get his face plastered on WSJ, or Forbes or IGN for his analysis.

Kyougar

. . . AGAIN.

C'mon Michael. Stick to the financial aspects. You are are not an engineer. When you try to talk about the technology it just comes out as hilarious. Battery issues, power consumption, heat dissipation are all serious issues that are not easy to handle. Thus, mobile devices are always a little behind the larger plug-in stuff.

And Microsoft knows this stuff full well. We are talking about a company that had to write-off $1B because their console with a big fan still overheated and died with a RROD.

You know the same could be said about the difference between PC and Console right?

C'mon Michael. Stick to the financial aspects. You are are not an engineer. When you try to talk about the technology it just comes out as hilarious. Control issues, power consumption, heat dissipation are all serious issues that are not easy to handle. Thus, console devices are always a little behind the larger plug-in stuff.

So why would Mobile to Console be different to Console to PC?
Console Masterrace? (/s) It's a gaming Device that has a larger Audience then Consoles, as Consoles had a larger Audience then PC's (somewhat of a challanged point)

And I REALLY wanted to make the Analogy regarding the Console is dead narrative to the PC Gaming is dead narrative a decade ago. BUT you could really make a case for the death of dedicated Console Devices. They are not needed in the future (when Digital Distribution and Streaming is taking off)
And the largest reason: They are a closed off System with ONE Company behind them. What their biggest Plus in regards to Exclusives is. Could be their downfall in the Future. If this one Company decides its not worth it anymore (Microsoft), if the other Company decides it has no more money for such and Adventure (Sony) and if the third Company decides it has no Target Audience for Home Consoles anymore (Nintendo), then Console Gaming is dead.

This Case cant be made for PC. Because they have mulitple Companys behind the entire ecosystem. You could even argue that mobile is also in danger, because of the closed system but Mobile gaming is currently the 90's of console gaming.

As Gamers, we dont want to hear such things and for some of us this seems ridiculous. But these Companys are no Charitys. Especially not Microsoft. If they cant find their Audience or if its too much a moneysink, they will close the Gaming Adventure.

Indiedevs

Banned
Didn`t Yoshida say at some point earlier this year that Playstation will become more like a service in the future, and less like a "console"?

Dire

DerZuhälter;130219520 said:
Leave Michael alone!

Seriously though. It could happen.
But on the other hand: Who needs desktop PCs? Laptops can do everything they can! But apparently there are always enough people out there who don't get the memo.

Desktops today are the consoles of yesterday for gaming. You can't beat the price:performance there.

The one and only reason I think it's reasonable to talk about the end of console gaming is that Sony/Microsoft looked to cut costs in a way that I think is ultimately going to be their downfall - they refused to subsidize the costs of their hardware this gen, something that'd come to have been expected from the big players. This gen you can already build a PC that is capable of outperforming consoles on a console budget. Crazy, but true. The fact I still think it's necessary to provide a source and proof for that statement on an enthusiast site like Neogaf is the only reason this thread isn't an open and closed "Well duh." Most people, even on here, are picturing the consoles of today like the consoles of well.. like they've always been. They're not.

But back to desktop vs laptop, I think it's similar to the argument you could have made for consoles in the past - the price:performance is just much more favorable for desktops. The ease of upgrading and lack of ring fenced hardware/software makes that price benefit actually grow over time when you consider the long term. If you're going to spend $xxx on a laptop, you could spend that same money getting a much better performing desktop. Laptops will certainly be the inevitable end of desktops, but right now the price differences are keeping that inevitability at bay.

liquidtmd

Banned
Has anyone got a list of any remotely semi accurate predictions that Patcher has made 12-24 months ahead of time (that weren't stark ravingly obvious to begin with)?

I want this to happen. So Devs can just make games for one platform and no more shit ports, shitty exclusive stuff. With Steam boxes and average PC price - it makes sense to me.

I mean the hardware in the 'new' generation is not much of a step up on last gen in what it can produce - and if that's the sign of years to come, with cost cutting - then PC is certainly the future.

Indiedevs

Banned
I want this to happen. So Devs can just make games for one platform and no more shit ports, shitty exclusive stuff. With Steam boxes and average PC price - it makes sense to me.

I mean the hardware in the 'new' generation is not much of a step up on last gen in what it can produce - and if that's the sign of years to come, with cost cutting - then PC is certainly the future.

If "shitty exclusive stuff" is gone, how is Microsoft or Sony going to make money for their stuff?

HariKari

If "shitty exclusive stuff" is gone, how is Microsoft or Sony going to make money for their stuff?

Like everyone else, they will have to move away from producing hardware and move more towards content. As media in general decentralizes away from the TV, it will become more about who has the best content. Netflix right now enjoys an advantage that wont exist when there are many, many other streaming services, which is why they are getting into original content now.

It's a good thing for the industry, as it will be more about the games than pushing hardware, which means fewer instances of exclusives solely for moving hardware. This is also why Microsoft is trying to get Xbox games to work in a PC browser. It won't always be about your own box. Eventually, the effort required and the profit potential of having your box will simply cease to be worth it, and games will become universal (probably PC) in nature.

slapnuts

This guy has totally ruined his rep over the last few years, unfortunately a lot of gullible mainstream gamers still take his opinion seriously but these people will learn eventually like all of us did when we first got sucked into the tech, internet world years ago. Most of here at Gaf know better but a lot of folks out there just now starting to get into the social network scene/internet scene will eventually find out for themselves that not everyone with a few creds and a "voice" to speak their opinion are always right.

This guy is probably right 40% of the time, why this guy is still being allowed to have a mic to share his opinion is baffling to me yet people still give this guy an opportunity to have a "voice" in the social media internet scene....

Consoles are not going anywhere and as a matter of fact older folks are becoming gamers more than ever these days...same goes with PC gaming...both are on the rise actually. My personal opinion is that smart phone gaming will never EVER be able to replicate console and pc gaming...it's good for on-the-move type gaming or to waste a bit of time while your away from home but other than that...i look at the library of smartphone gaming and i see nothing but mostly garbage, to be fair, there are some good games on phones to give props to some of the more talented mobile game studios/devs but how in the world can someone say Console/PC gaming will be dead soon is baffling to the point of it being offensive.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mobile devices will never catch up to dedicated game consoles. Yes, phones and tablets get more and more powerful, but they will always be many years behind the big boxes you plug into a wall socket in terms of processing power and such. They will never actually catch up, for ridiculously obvious reasons. That iOS version of BioShock is perhaps the closest thing to a straight mobile port of a recent console game I've seen, and it's nowhere close to the 360 version in visual quality. And that's running on 9 years old hardware. Even as phones can do more and more impressive things on the surface, their overall processing power will always be many, many years behind.

You could perhaps argue that what a phone (or a Chromecast-like thing you plug into your TV, or whatever) can do is good enough for most people, but the great success of the PS4 (and to a lesser extent the XBO) proves that there are many people who still want something better. Don't know why that would completely change in the next five years. By then phones will have caught up a bit more, sure, but then the new consoles will again be on a completely different level. That vast power difference will never just disappear.

televator

In 100 years when we have computer chips in our heads we won't have need for consoles and then Zombie Pachter will rub it in everyone's face that he was
eventually
right. Then he'll eat everyone's brains.

UrbanRats

This is a poor comparison just because: I can get a mp3 file on my phone and it sounds exactly the same as it does on my iPod. My enjoyment is exactly the same when listening to the song on either device.

I can't play Demons Souls, or Destiny, or CS:GO on my phone, and if I could it would be nowhere near the same experience. It will never happen. Mark my words.
Not with the phones you have now.
Doesn't mean in 10 or 20 years, things will be the same.

To say it will "never" happen is just absurd.

Like people in the 1800 were in any position to say what would've and wouldn't have "ever" happened.

It's just a matter of time frames.

Maybe in XX years you will have a portable, Oculus Rift-like device, integrated with your super powerful phone, that will let you play Dark Souls in a manner much more immersive than any TV could.

Zweisy1

It's inevitable sooner or later.. Tbh I don't think I'd miss consoles all that much.

Far more interesting things going in the pc side of things.. In both hardware and software. If just the few console exclusives I still care about like Quantum Break or Bayonetta 2 would cone out on pc I could happily forget about consoles.

Klart

Remember how everyone, Pachter included, talked about how the PS4 and Xbox One and all that weren't going to sell because everyone has phones and tablets now? Then stores couldn't keep PS4s in stock when it launched.

Good times.

Aaah... Those were the days...

Powerful phone and stream-based games are going to lead to even further fragmentation of the market, and everyone is going to be all over the place, and there will be no unity, the focus on technology and business models will cause design to stagnate, indie people will continue to more concerned with low-risk high-return stuff like narrative or multiplayer instead of design/art-intensive stuff, hardly anyone will be making games I like, and I will hide underneath Nintendo hardware using it as a shield because I at least know they'll still come out with 3-4 games a year I give a shit about assuming they're even in business

maybe i'm just being pesimistic

Top Bottom