• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PacMan Revealed for Smash. Bros

Mista Koo

Fixed for SMash Bros fitness
Moogle appeared in 2 Mario spinoffs.

1.jpg

Also Bomberman is now Konami :p

mantidor

Didn't know I wanted Pacman, saw the trailer and this pic:

screen-5.jpg

and I knew I was wrong to doubt in the pac.

I know its dumb but it bothers me, more than it should, that it seems Pacman will have stuff like Galaga attacks, is not even his franchise!

Or are those confirmed assist trophies?

I know its dumb but it bothers me, more than it should, that it seems Pacman will have stuff like Galaga attacks, is not even his franchise!

He's representing Arcade Namco.

It's their way of fleshing out his attacks and avoiding the pitfalls Sonic fell in to.

mantidor

He's representing Arcade Namco.

It's their way of fleshing out his attacks and avoiding the pitfalls Sonic fell in to.

I didn't know Sonic had pitfalls.

I still think the franchise has plenty enough content to flesh out attacks without having to resort to other universes. If they could pull it with freaking G & W they sure as hell could do it with Pacman

El Sloth

Banned
Crono was in one videogame and is not apart of the SE's two most iconic series: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Black Mage makes more sense, both classic, contemporary, and numerous in references (also wouldn't be another sword user, while magic users are much rarer). EDIT: Haha, Slime would be fun.

Also I think people assume Smash participants should lean towards the NES and SNES, when I don't see any reason why. EDIT: Well, I know why: biased nostalgia.
A slime that had the ability to turn into different slimes (King Slime being the final smash?) sounds like a lot of fun. It'd be like having the different attributes of the Pikmin or something.

I didn't know Sonic had pitfalls.

I still think the franchise has plenty enough content to flesh out attacks without having to resort to other universes. If they could pull it with freaking G & W they sure as hell could do it with Pacman

I like it. Pac Man is obviously most known for his arcade games. He is the mascot of arcade games from that era like Galaga. It's a nice way to incorporate more Namco franchises, while diversifying his attacks. Certainly better than grabbing attacks from his crappy 3d games.

batfax

Well, if you wanna get technical, he meets nearly all of the things he uses in the Namco Museum series. They always had CG openings of Pacman running into the characters that are present in that particular version of Namco Museum.

Even so, this is absolutely nothing new for Namco. Their classic arcade titles appear casually across nearly everything they do, from making cameos as little point items to having entire optional dungeons devoted to them in their Tales games. Pacman calling upon the powers of his arcade brethren is just par for the course. In fact, the way he uses them in the first place even reminds me of Legend of Valkyrie's magic system.

Lijik

Pacman has always heavily referenced general 80s namco arcade history. There was a King Galaxian boss battle in pac man world 1 for instance

Spinluck

Didn't realize how much Capcom likes trolling their fans. What the fuck was this...?

mega-man.jpg

231428-MegaMan.jpg

Oh man, lol. Mech suit Pacman too.

Game Guru

The Galaxian flagship was one of the 'fruits' in the original Pac-Man. In Pac & Pal, he fires a beam exactly like the Galaga beam that stuns enemies which is shown in the Smash trailer for him. There have been Rally-X cameos in that game as well... Pooka, the enemy from DigDug, appeared in a cameo as a friend of Pac-Man in Pac-Man World. Pac-Man served as host for the PS1 Namco Museum games which also featured Mappy and Xevious. The Pac-Man series has always been more cameo heavy than other franchises, so it makes some sense for Pac-Man to reference that.

Neiteio

I thought this at first too. It looks like Pac-Man's special switchy move thing replaces Peach's randomized turnip-plucking from a gameplay perspective, but instead of the Bob-Omb being the best option it's "RUN, COWARDS"
Dude, that would be AWESOME. But it's hard to tell if it's Sinistar. Didn't Sinistar always show its face? Maybe he does when he's activated...

EDIT: Wait, Bacmo doesn't own Sinistar, do they?

Game Guru

Dude, that would be AWESOME. But it's hard to tell if it's Sinistar. Didn't Sinistar always show its face? Maybe he does when he's activated...

EDIT: Wait, Bacmo doesn't own Sinistar, do they?

It's from Xevious... It's an Andor Genesis from Xevious. Pac-Man pulled out the Xevious mothership, so "RUN, COWARDS!" is still appropriate since if it's like how it was in Xevious it will be raining down bullet hell across the arena.

Makonero

The Galaxian flagship was one of the 'fruits' in the original Pac-Man. In Pac & Pal, he fires a beam exactly like the Galaga beam that stuns enemies which is shown in the Smash trailer for him. There have been Rally-X cameos in that game as well... Pooka, the enemy from DigDug, appeared in a cameo as a friend of Pac-Man in Pac-Man World. Pac-Man served as host for the PS1 Namco Museum games which also featured Mappy and Xevious. The Pac-Man series has always been more cameo heavy than other franchises, so it makes some sense for Pac-Man to reference that.

Hell, even Baten Kaitos had plenty of Namco references. (Maybe Kalas will get a cameo? Please Sakurai!)

Top Bottom