• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 31, 2008

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
You know I'm amazed at how many shops around in my little town were advertising the fact that Mario Kart Wii was "now in stock again!" I knew that the UK liked their Mario Karting but the Wii one is definitely selling buttloads.

Now imagine if Sega had allowed them to put Sonic in there... I think I remember a long time ago Shigeru Miyamoto talking about the possibility of Sonic in a Mario Kart game at the time (before Double Dash!! was unveiled). Am I imagining things or did that happen?

Neomoto

In the UK, every week is a holiday week.

Wii Fit AND Mario Kart holding off SC IV is pretty telling. (not counting 2 other games that hold of the PS3 version as well). Nintendomination continues. With all these "evergreen" titles constantly charting in every region, constantly selling so well it makes you wonder when the heavy 3rd party support will kick in.

Accident said:
Guitar Hero was selling more on the 360 in the US until Rock Band was launched, having two games competing in the same genre might have something to do with it.
So why did Rock Band on Wii sold a cool 200k+ AND had the by far best selling GH:Aerosmith version in the same month? And that isn't even counting the GH 3 version that even though having a drop-off, it was still in the Wii chart meaning it sold well too.

milanbaros said:
Wii Fit's Chart run

1,3,3,3,40,-,-,11,29,3,4,1,1,1,1.
Wow, 3 months AFTER release, it returned at the number 1 spot for a month and counting. I wonder how many games can say that.

Jammy said:
DS and Wii dominate again. Is school still out? Or do kids buy Soul Calibur IV, too? :lol
The schools with all the hardcore kids are out last week. No, seriously. I can prove it with these facts:

andthebeatgoeson

DNF said:
??? did this week already started a school-holiday ? damn, you uk-pupils have a lot of freetime
They have been on vacation for the better part of a year. Fall of Europe incoming...

Oh man, this meme will have legs.

Opiate

Release list time. What are the significant releases through the end of August for all systems? How about September if anyone could?'

Off the top of my head, the answer is "practically nothing," but I hoped someone could be a little more specific, as I assume I'm missing at least a game or two.

Opiate said:
Release list time. What are the significant releases through the end of August for all systems? How about September if anyone could?'

Off the top of my head, the answer is "practically nothing," but I hoped someone could be a little more specific, as I assume I'm missing at least a game or two.

Wii

Sam & Max Season One - August
Soul Calibur Legends - August

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - September
Samba de Amigo - September
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - September
de Blob - September

DS

Civilization Revolution - August

de Blob - September
Make 10 - September

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Opiate said:

Absolutely jack shit in August. Too Human on the 29th, at a push. I reckon it'll hit top 20 and drop out.

sinseers said:
Uh Oh.....someone keep any eye on that PS3 GTA IV in the UK. I think it's gone stealth. :lol

Fixed?

Surprising that Battlefield Bad Company has supplanted COD4 on the 360 but not on PS3. I was under the impression that both games were virtually identical on both consoles.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Surprising that Battlefield Bad Company has supplanted COD4 on the 360 but not on PS3. I was under the impression that both games were virtually identical on both consoles.
Well, 360 has the advantage of a previous Battlefield game.

Neomoto said:
Wii Fit's Chart run

1,3,3,3,40,-,-,11,29,3,4,1,1,1,1.
Wow, 3 months AFTER release, it returned at the number 1 spot for a month and counting. I wonder how many games can say that.
Yeah, that's the ridiculousness of it all. I think we all know how it got those positions, but it still looks silly.

Opiate

Cosmonaut X said:
Wii

Sam & Max Season One - August
Soul Calibur Legends - August

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - September
Samba de Amigo - September
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - September
de Blob - September

DS

Civilization Revolution - August

de Blob - September
Make 10 - September

Firstly, I would question your calling some of these "significant" releases. :p

Secondly, what about 360 and PS3, though? I know Too Human counts, for sure, at the end of August. Anything else?

okrim

Banned
oh gesus ...nintendo destroy the videogame market with his terrible casual games...and the gaf nintendo fan are happy but for what? the wii continues the way to produce stupid games and the third parties too, nothing it' s positive...I prefer the nintendo of gamecube to that...I ' m not interest of his profits...

Weisheit

okrim said:
oh gesus ...nintendo destroy the videogame market with his terrible casual games...and the gaf nintendo fan are happy but for what? the wii continues the way to produce stupid games and the third parties too, nothing it' s positive...I prefer the nintendo of gamecube to that...I ' m not interest of his profits...
Easy_English_Dictionary.jpg

Weisheit

Sage00 said:
Yes, lets mock people who are not native English speakers. Great idea.

Or we could not be assholes, deal?
I can't speak Spanish, which is why I don't post on Spanish forums, if you're gonna post you could at least, you know, know the language. I know thats way out there.

Arde5643

okrim said:
brain2.jpg

Weisheit actually might be referring to this for you.

Gabyskra

Banned
okrim said:

Singstar, The Sims, Buzz, license games. Nothing new, move along.

Opiate

Ugh, please don't go down this road. Okrim's post was an absurd one in so many ways: how did you decide to pick on the spelling and syntax when the substance was much more ripe for ridicule?

Or you could do the noble thing, and just ignore it. Please guys? As a favor to a person you don't know? Let's just get back to the meat of the topic or move on.

[Nintex]

okrim said:
supermariogalaxy_sslg2.jpg

If this is destroying the videogame market then Nintendo has my blessing to tear it down brick by brick.

Arde5643

Opiate said:
Ugh, please don't go down this road. Okrim's post was an absurd one in so many ways: how did you decide to pick on the spelling and syntax when the substance was much more ripe for ridicule?

Or you could do the noble thing, and just ignore it. Please guys? As a favor to a person you don't know? Let's just get back to the meat of the topic or move on.
Agreed - I just decided to ridicule him not for his English post, it was more for his dumb poster of the day mode since he decided to post such a stupid comment in a sales age thread.

In any case, sales charts thread is pretty much clear cut these days - Nintendo products rule most of the hardware and software charts while the rest of the systems are left trying to get the most they can.

Next guess is I suppose is, in which week will Soul Calibur 4 fall off the top 40 UK chart?
For 360, I'm guessing week 5.
For PS3, I'm guessing week 4.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm behind Weishit. Retard in bad english is just even more terrible. I don't go onto Indian boards talking about how their food was better last year and it just isn't really food anymore. WTF, 'UR CURRY SLUSHY IZ SHIT NOWZ'?

Opiate said:
Firstly, I would question your calling some of these "significant" releases. :p

Well, it's all I could put together for those two systems, but the Wii list has a big first-party title, two major-ish third party titles - SW:TFU and SdA - and a pair of minor third-party titles (although seeing what happens with SCL in the wake of SCIV might be interesting...)

The DS list is far less impressive, but I think Make 10 is being published by Nintendo and is being positioned as a Maths Training-level release.

Secondly, what about 360 and PS3, though? I know Too Human counts, for sure, at the end of August. Anything else?

No idea, I'm afraid. I'm a Wii/DS/PS2/PC/GBA/GC gamer, and that keeps me busy enough ;-)

Gabyskra

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
I'm behind Weishit. Retard in bad english is just even more terrible. I don't go onto Indian boards talking about how their food was better last year and it just isn't really food anymore. WTF, 'UR CURRY SLUSHY IZ SHIT NOWZ'?

Maybe. But that could help you learn the language. I know I made progress over the years thanks to internet and message boards.

Weisheit said:
I can't speak Spanish, which is why I don't post on Spanish forums, if you're gonna post you could at least, you know, know the language. I know thats way out there.
This is an international forum. People from all over the world post on here. Some are better in english than others, but all of them are understandable (except for that 1 member, Donvea or something. He actually has a "fanbase" because of his shitty language :lol). My english has gotten a lot better, because of gaf. Don't act like a jackass and mock him for his language, but do it for the stupid content of his post.

(And yes, i've probably made some typo's in my post. Sue me!)

nli10

Opiate said:

COMPREHENSIVE RELEASE CALENDAR sure there are some wrong dates but most of it holds true to published data.

Also whichever is nearest the top for each week has had the most pre-orders so you can use it to gauge hardcore interest in titles.

Essentially

Aug:

Too Human & Bangai-O Spirits

Sep:

CivRev DS, Spore, WOW Lich King

Also in August is Driving test theory training for DS. TBH I think this one is going to go Gold at least, if not Platinum. If they TV advertise it's a license to print money.

nli10 said:
Also in August is Driving test theory training for DS. TBH I think this one is going to go Gold at least, if not Platinum. If they TV advertise it's a license to print money.

Driving test theory training for ds is a license to print money.. at least in spain and if they advertise it properly...

i only wish that software like that was as well designed as nintendos

nli10

Starchasing said:
Driving test theory training for ds is a license to print money.. at least in spain and if they advertise it properly...

i only wish that software like that was as well designed as nintendos

The old PC versions that came out when the theory test first started were shit and sold enough to get ELSPA awards. If this is reasonable with video footage included as it looks then it's golden.

Opiate

Arde5643 said:
In any case, sales charts thread is pretty much clear cut these days - Nintendo products rule most of the hardware and software charts while the rest of the systems are left trying to get the most they can.

If all we care about is system wars, I suppose, but there are lots of other interesting discussions.

Many people have suggested that traditional fighters may make a come back. That wasn't a position I considered to be reasonable, but given that Soul Calibur IV just sold SEVEN TIMES as well as SCIII in its opening week, perhaps it isn't so crazy (and I believe 360 + PS3 has a smaller userbase than PS2 did at the time).

We could mention that third party software continues to sell very well on the Wii in the UK, which needs to be pointed out constantly still. I think a lot of people still do not realize that third party games are selling on that system.

We could talk about EA's financials: EA showed that they made almost 2x the amount of money on the PS3 last quarter as they did on the 360. How did they do that? The games released on both systems were BF:BC, UEFA EURO and Nascar 09. Looking at Battlefied: Bad Company selling much better on the 360 than it is on the PS3 in the UK, it's still difficult for me to see how the PS3 bested the 360 so handily. Somewhere -- most likely in Europe -- something EA is making is selling much, much better on the PS3 than it is on the 360.

See? There's lots to talk about.

Opiate

nli10 said:
COMPREHENSIVE RELEASE CALENDAR sure there are some wrong dates but most of it holds true to published data.

Also whichever is nearest the top for each week has had the most pre-orders so you can use it to gauge hardcore interest in titles.

Essentially

Aug:

Too Human & Bangai-O Spirits

Sep:

CivRev DS, Spore, WOW Lich King

Never heard of that driving game. Who is developing it?

Arde5643

Opiate said:
stuffs to talk about

:D

No, no - I agree, with the hardware war thing concluded, we can actually start talking more about the games' sales prediction and analysis.

I wish we can see some numbers in ChartTrack though, just to see how better or worse SC4 is doing compared to the previous versions.

Opiate said:
If all we care about is system wars, I suppose, but there are lots of other interesting discussions.

Many people have suggested that traditional fighters may make a come back. That wasn't a position I considered to be reasonable, but given that Soul Calibur IV just sold SEVEN TIMES as well as SCIII in its opening week, perhaps it isn't so crazy (and I believe 360 + PS3 has a smaller userbase than PS2 did at the time).

We could mention that third party software continues to sell very well on the Wii in the UK, which needs to be pointed out constantly still. I think a lot of people still do not realize that third party games are selling on that system.

We could talk about EA's financials: EA showed that they made almost 2x the amount of money on the PS3 last quarter as they did on the 360. How did they do that? The games released on both systems were BF:BC, UEFA EURO and Nascar 09. Looking at Battlefied: Bad Company selling much better on the 360 than it is on the PS3 in the UK, it's still difficult for me to see how the PS3 bested the 360 so handily. Somewhere -- most likely in Europe -- something EA is making is selling much, much better on the PS3 than it is on the 360.

On the other side of the coin, established franchises selling extraordinary on opening day is probably just a testament to the demographic of a particular userbase. GTA IV and Halo did very well thier respective opening weeks, but had shorter legs than thier predecessors.

titiklabingapat said:
On the other side of the coin, established franchises selling extraordinary on opening day is probably just a testament to the demographic of a particular userbase. GTA IV and Halo did very well thier respective opening weeks, but had shorter legs than thier predecessors.

Just as another point of discussion, didn't SCIII exhibit a marked drop-off from SCII - thanks in part, I'm sure, to the decision to make it PS2-only - and is that perhaps worth considering when looking at the opening sales for SCIV?

test_account

XP-39C²
Arde5643 said:
:D

No, no - I agree, with the hardware war thing concluded, we can actually start talking more about the games' sales prediction and analysis.

I wish we can see some numbers in ChartTrack though, just to see how better or worse SC4 is doing compared to the previous versions.
We dont have any numbers (i think), but we do have some info on how Soul Calibur 4 did it compared to Soul Calibur 2 and 3 :) Check out Raist's earlier post where he posted some Chart Track announcement (or what i shall call it) :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12255466&postcount=84

It is the first All Formats No1 for the SoulCalibur franchise since ‘SoulCalibur II’ (GC, PS2 and Xbox) reached the summit for one week, back in September 2003. It has been almost 3 years since ‘SoulCalibur III’ was launched, only on PS2. Released on Xbox 360 and PS3 the long-anticipated sequel is the fastest selling in the franchise with the PS3 version outselling it’s PS2 predecessor’s launch week by more than 3 to 1. It is the fastest selling traditional beat-em up game to be launched on either PS3 or Xbox 360 (56% of sales were on Microsoft’s format) and marks a mini-revival for the genre after the recent success of Nintendo’s ‘Super Smash Bros.
It might not be too much detailed info unfortunately, but it is some info atleast :)

Opiate said:

Im interested in knowing if any small 3rd party will be able to monetize on wii...

They are in a good position to do so... most big publisher bet on the wrong horse and there is a window of oportunity there. I hope that high voltage games does well with that FPS they are doing. there are othe rmany gaps that nintendo isnt filling ready for other parties to do so...

Arde5643

test_account said:
We dont have any numbers (i think), but we do have some info on how Soul Calibur 4 did it compared to Soul Calibur 2 and 3 :) Check out Raist's earlier post where he posted some Chart Track announcement (or what i shall call it) :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12255466&postcount=84

It might not be too much detailed info unfortunately, but it is some info atleast :)
Thanks - so first week-wise it's definitely doing much better than SC3.
Let's see if it will demonstrate legs to carry it further.

FrankT

Opiate said:

While for Activision and THQ for the same quarter the 360 was on top and Ubisoft saw the PS3 on top with one exclusive during the time frame. One or two quarters really does not say much either as the whole fiscal year for EA the 360 led by almost double the earnings of the PS3. With that said, look at this quarter and see what EA has out. Madden for the most part and this isn't what you would call a hit overseas. If it's anything like last year then the platform that will reap the benefits again for the quarter is going to be 360 by in large. You also have the GAAP versus non for EA during the quarter and the 360 is on top there as well, which probably says the most about the situation at hand than anything. Looking at the overall scope of the industry provides a much better picture. I certainly wouldn’t rely on merely European sales to fill the blanks as there are a number of plausible factors at work here as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Arde5643 said:
Thanks - so first week-wise it's definitely doing much better than SC3.
Let's see if it will demonstrate legs to carry it further.
No problem :) Ye, it seems that it outsold SC3 (atleast at the launch week) :) It also says "fastest selling in the franchise", i wonder if that includes Soul Calibur 1 as well.

Ye, let's see if Soul Calibur 4 have legs or not :)

Opiate

titiklabingapat said:

Absolutely: it's entirely possible that this is all that's at work here. We'll see. In this case, I bet it is not: in the case of GTA IV, for example, it greatly exceeded the previous iteration's initial sales, but it did not exceed them seven times over (it didn't even exceed them twice over). There is a pretty big difference.

MGS4 in Japan is another example of what you're talking about, Titkla: it sold as well as MGS2/3 in Japan its first week, but had a much more precipitous drop thereafter, and likely will end up selling 20-25% less than the previous iterations. Again, "selling as well or a bit better" opening week is a far cry from SC IVs "7x the opening week."

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
While for Activision and THQ for the same quarter the 360 was on top and Ubisoft saw the PS3 on top with one exclusive during the time frame. One or two quarters really does not say much either as the whole fiscal year for EA the 360 led by almost double the earnings of the PS3. With that said, look at this quarter and see what EA has out. Madden for the most part and this isn't what you would call a hit overseas. If it's anything like last year then the platform that will reap the benefits again for the quarter is going to be 360 by in large. You also have the GAAP versus non for EA during the quarter and the 360 is on top there as well, which probably says the most about the situation at hand than anything. Looking at the overall scope of the industry provides a much better picture. I certainly wouldn’t rely on merely European sales to fill the blanks as there are a number of plausible factors at work here as well.

I don't think you got my point: I wasn't trying to look at the "overall scope of the industry," as you put it. You're clearly making this a 360 vs. PS3 battle here, and that's exactly what I want to avoid. This isn't about Microsoft and Sony, or "the overall picture," it's about EA.

For EA, PS3 did much better than the 360 last quarter in terms of revenue. I'm not asking: "Does this mean the PS3 is better than the 360 for selling software right now?" Because clearly it hasn't reached that status. The question, instead, is: "Given that EA released the same games on the PS3 and 360 (Plus C&C:Kane's Wrath on 360!), and given the sales we do know of games like BF:BC in America and UK both selling better on 360, how is it even possible that the PS3 doubled 360 revenue?

FrankT

Opiate said:
I don't think you got my point: I wasn't trying to look at the "overall scope of the industry," as you put it. You're clearly making this a 360 vs. PS3 battle here, and that's exactly what I want to avoid. This isn't about Microsoft and Sony, or "the overall picture," it's about EA.

For EA, PS3 did much better than the 360 last quarter in terms of revenue. I'm not asking: "Does this mean the PS3 is better than the 360 for selling software right now?" Because clearly it hasn't reached that status. The question, instead, is: "Given that EA released the same games on the PS3 and 360 (Plus C&C:Kane's Wrath on 360!), and given the sales we do know of games like BF:BC in America and UK both selling better on 360, how is it even possible that the PS3 doubled 360 revenue?

That is exactly why I stated the GAAP issue short sighted to merely think otherwise and no it isn't just a 360 v PS3 issue. It is however about how EA reports the earnings for each quarter for each platform.

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
That is exactly why I stated the GAAP issue short sighted to merely think otherwise and no it isn't just a 360 v PS3 issue. It is however about how EA reports the earnings for each quarter for each platform.

I don't think that explains the issue entirely. GAAP doesn't usually create that large a disparity, or even very close to it; it's possible, though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Opiate said:

WOW! I didn't know that. How is that possible? What about SC 1 and 2's opening weeks? I hope that what helped SC IV wasn't the, you know, chests of the female characters, eh.

[EDIT] What is GAAP anyway? I've seen that term a few times, but I can't figure out what it means.

donny2112

Kilrogg said:
[EDIT] What is GAAP anyway? I've seen that term a few times, but I can't figure out what it means.

Generally Accepted Accounting Principles

i.e. There's the generally accepted way (GAAP) or the "EA knows better" way (non-GAAP).

D.Lo

Frillen said:
17 DS titles in the top 40. I think that's a new record!

NDS: 17
WII: 13
360: 5
PS3: 4
PS2: 1
PSP: 0
This is insane.

And Soul Calibur IV almost certainly cost more to produce then all 9 of the 3rd party Wii titles that charted combined. Actually, that's probably true of every charted game on PS3 or 360 apart from the Olimpics game.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Opiate said:

It's very hard to read your original paragraph and not get into a 360vPS3 mindset.

As for your question: EA altered their accounting methods last year. In doing so they changed the way they count the revenue from their online titles. Revenue is now spread out over time until online service expense are spent. This method, however, hasn't effected the 360 greatly because the Xbox Live expense are upfront. You can look at the quarters where they went back and adjusted them and then compare them to their original report to see just how much of an impact it had on each system.

It's made trying to use EA fiscal reports to compare system sales futile. At the moment, the PS3 is being bolstered by sales from the previous quarters (especially from last Christmas). At the end of the year, expect PS3 sales to be smothered as revenue is left out for future saervices.

Neomoto

"Also in August is Driving test theory training for DS"

What the.. SOLD! First time I heard of this, if it's any good I'll be there day one. :)

Souldriver said:
Yeah, that's the ridiculousness of it all. I think we all know how it got those positions, but it still looks silly.
Yeah, if they released enough stock Wii Fit and Mario Kart would likely constantly be in the top 3 since release.

[Nintex] said:

If this is destroying the videogame market then Nintendo has my blessing to tear it down brick by brick.
I prefer other non-games like Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Excite Truck too thank you very much. Guess I'm just crazy like that.

lopaz

Banned
Neomoto said:
"Also in August is Driving test theory training for DS"

What the.. SOLD! First time I heard of this, if it's any good I'll be there day one. :)

dude the UK theory test is a joke it's not worth dropping the price of a DS game. You could probably pass just on common sense alone

Top Bottom