• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 34, 2016

Shin-chan

Has KoF ever been big in any PAL countries? I was always under the impression it was super niche outside of its Japan/Asia and NA fanbases.

You realise it costs a lot of money to port games to other systems, right?

I'll take that bet.

And I'm pretty sure it's incredibly niche in those markets too (it opens to around 20k first week in Japan and I doubt it's US sales are huge). Bomba seems like it might be overblown here ... but it is a very quiet time of year so maybe it is.

Re: Tekken v SF. The main reason I think Tekken will do better is because it's considered *the* fighting game for PlayStation and has been since the first game. Street Fighter may be one of the oldest and best but it doesn't have the franchise history that Tekken does with PlayStation. I remember getting our first PSX it came with Tekken 2 and then a few years later the PS2 came with Tekken Tag Tournament.

That's why I think Tekken will do notably better than SF on PS4. Maybe the genre decline is too great, though.

Umm what?

NMS will hit 150K next week. So over 150K after ~4 weeks in the UK, for a £45 indie title, is incredible.

Whoops, I didn't have the 110k figure for it's opening when I made that. I was going off of the 100k figure.

Let me revise that figure, it should be about >170k in the 10 week time frame if the trend continues.

Well, a much lower opening than a title launch on 4 consoles, sure.

Of course, the sales are still quite good. However, the legs themselves aren't as good as we've seen from other first party Sony titles this year.

I'm not making a comment on overall sales, I want to be clear. I said it back when NMS launched but with it's massive opening, the games legs could all but evaporate and it wouldn't detract from how huge of a success it is.

I'm more making an observation (with limited data of course) that it's drops mirror more a title with an extremely front-loaded opening then a games that typically open in NMS's range.

Sweet, one of us will just have to bring it up when it comes out (I'll try and remember) and hope we actually get some splits for once, unless it's super obvious (combined being below SFV/double the sales for T7)

Cool, I'll sub to the thread and hope I remember when it finally comes out.

As for the numbers, well if T7 sells the same or just slightly over SFV then I'll be happy to concede because there's no way the PS4 version will dominate sales to that degree. But if it's even 50% higher then I'd be pretty confident because I'm expecting the ratio to at least be 2:1.

And I'm pretty sure it's incredibly niche in those markets too (it opens to around 20k first week in Japan and I doubt it's US sales are huge). Bomba seems like it might be overblown here ... but it is a very quiet time of year so maybe it is.

Re: Tekken v SF. The main reason I think Tekken will do better is because it's considered *the* fighting game for PlayStation and has been since the first game. Street Fighter may be one of the oldest and best but it doesn't have the franchise history that Tekken does with PlayStation. I remember getting our first PSX it came with Tekken 2 and then a few years later the PS2 came with Tekken Tag Tournament.

That's why I think Tekken will do notably better than SF on PS4. Maybe the genre decline is too great, though.

I think Tekken's ties to PlayStation will skew the ratio heavily in its favour but it's not the reason why I think it'll do better. I think the mishandling of SFV (and the series as a whole, what with all the milking since SFIV) has led to a bit of an over-reaction when it comes to the fighting genre, even though Mortal Kombat X did exceptionally well last year. I just can't see Bandai Namco repeating Capcom's numerous mistakes.

tolkir

Spain:
Week (Aug 22-Aug 28) - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 Asetto Corsa (>3.500 / NEW)
02 (--) PS4 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (~3.500 / >150.000) *Free bundle with any PS4 buy in many stores*
03 (NE) PS4 Deus Ex Mankind Divided (~3.000 / NEW)
04 (--) PS4 Grand Theft Auto V (>2.500 / >350.000)
05 (01) PS4 F1 2016 (>2.300 / <8.000)
06 (--) 3DS Yo-kai Watch (<2.300 / <90.000) - Top 5 entire Summer until this week

LTD Consoles Combined:

Rocket League (20.000)

Guymelef

Spain:

02 (--) PS4 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (~3.500 / >150.000) *Free bundle with any PS4 buy in many stores*
06 (--) 3DS Yo-kai Watch (<2.300 / <90.000) - Top 5 entire Summer until this week

LTD Consoles Combined:

Rocket League (20.000)

Split should be 19.999 PS4 / 1 XBO.

To be fair Tekken hasn't had a great recent legacy. Definitely has a chance to do well and rekindle the hype but it's a game living on PS1 greatness and many disappointments after.

Tekken 6 sold pretty well though and it's been a long time for the proper next game so I can see it edging SF worldwide for one years sales and UK launch

Phamit

According to GFK

Mankind Divided is number one on the PC and Xbox One Charts and third in the PS4 Charts, They didn't say the who is second, but Madden NFL is on the number one. My guess is that No mans Sky is second.

The Ps4 is the casual console in Germany, so it isn't that surprising that Madden is more successfull than on Xbox. American Football became also a lot more popular in Germany since you can watch 2 games every sunday on free tv.

eFKac

Spain:

LTD Consoles Combined:

Rocket League (20.000)

Is that a broken street date number for Deus Ex? I mean otherwise that's absolutely dreadful

Bruno MB

Things are looking grim for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

It had a much worse opening than Deus Ex: Human Revolution in the UK, in Germany it was outsold by Madden NFL 17 (PS4 charts), and it couldn't even top Assetto Corsa in Spain.

EGM1966

Things are looking grim for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

It had a much worse opening than Deus Ex: Human Revolution in the UK, in Germany it was outsold by Madden NFL 17 (PS4 charts), and it couldn't even top Asetto Corsa in Spain.
I'm probably overreacting but it feels like SE have rebooted two franchises reasonably well (Tomb Raider and Deus Ex) only to mess up the second entry in terms of market performance (with RISE by taking the timed deal with MS and with Deus Ex by generating negative sentiment in the run up to launch and not marketing the game well enough to generate fresh demand given the relatively large gap for a direct follow on).

Vena

I'm probably overreacting but it feels like SE have rebooted two franchises reasonably well (Tomb Raider and Deus Ex) only to mess up the second entry in terms of market performance (with RISE by taking the timed deal with MS and with Deus Ex by generating negative sentiment in the run up to launch and not marketing the game well enough to generate fresh demand given the relatively large gap for a direct follow on).

Deus Ex was too long between entries.

Bruno MB

FScg6.png

Spain:
August 2016 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 NO MAN'S SKY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (02) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
03 (01) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH (NINTENDO)
04 (NE) PS4 F1 2016 (CODEMASTERS)
05 (08) PS4 ROCKET LEAGUE (505 GAMES)
06 (06) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (10) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
08 (NE) PS4 NO MAN'S SKY - LIMITED EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
09 (__) PS4 FAR CRY PRIMAL (UBISOFT)
10 (04) PS4 UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

EGM1966

Deus Ex was too long between entries.
Agreed. That was why they needed better marketing to create fresh interest. Instead they went with an approach such that I could imagine some not even realising it's a new game and thinking its some kind of remaster or extension.

Shame as I love the franchise and its design principles and want it to do well. The cherry on top was the negative crisp that put off people as well.

SE really need to manage their IP better in today's market IMHO. FFIV launch should be interesting. Let's see how that goes.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
FScg6.png

Spain:
August 2016 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 NO MAN'S SKY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (02) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
03 (01) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH (NINTENDO)
04 (NE) PS4 F1 2016 (CODEMASTERS)
05 (08) PS4 ROCKET LEAGUE (505 GAMES)
06 (06) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (10) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
08 (NE) PS4 NO MAN'S SKY - LIMITED EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
09 (__) PS4 FAR CRY PRIMAL (UBISOFT)
10 (04) PS4 UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Yokai Watch not first, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

EDIT: WOW Far Cry Primal charted. :O

I really hope we still get another Deus Ex after this before the generation is over.

Those numbers are rough and it seemed Square sent it to die. Maybe all their marketing money is going into FFXV

Top Bottom