• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 39, 2010

Pooya

[Nintex said:
]

- No TV ads or anything
I haven't seen any ads on big gaming websites, enslaved on the other hand had relatively good advertising from what I've seen, guess it doesn't matter much looking at the chart now.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
zsidane said:
11 on PC is just the Fifa 10 of the 360/PS3. Is this a way to treat PC gamers?
It's catering to a dead market, so it doesn't matter either way.
EA had their shot to revive Fifa PC in the West this year and it wasn't going to happen through retail.

Castlevania and Enslaved have only been on sale for one or two days, right? Still not great though I expect Castlevania to have some legs. Also surprised at the PS3 version charting higher. "People don't care about tech differences" is a stupid meme after all?

Spiegel

Castlevania and Enslaved :/ They deserve much better sales.

Wii Party will sell forever but that's an awful debut. Has the TV advertising started yet?

And Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light is #14 in the NINTENDO DS (FULL PRICE) chart. Wow

schennmu said:
Castlevania and Enslaved have only been on sale for one or two days, right? Still not great though I expect Castlevania to have some legs. Also surprised at the PS3 version charting higher. "People don't care about tech differences" is a stupid meme after all?

The "only on sale on or two days" thing applies to every single new release in this chart. Also worth noting that games like Castlevania and Enslaved typically don't have "legs" - they blow their load in the first week or two, so if they don't get great opening sales then they don't get great LTD sales.

The best you could hope for with CV:LoS is that its messed-up release and decent word-of-mouth means a better-than-usual second week hold, but that's about it.

EDIT:

Spiegel said:
Wii Party will sell forever but that's an awful debut. Has the TV advertising started yet?

Yeah, but only just - there have been some pre-release ads with (IIRC) JLS, but I'd expect them to get in full swing this week and for us to see the now-typical second-week bounce.

I do wonder whether the forced bundle w. a Remote is harming its sales potential, as most of the audience will have enough controllers by now (assuming they bought their console (1), Wii Play (2), Wii Sports Resort (3) and perhaps one more along the way)

Garjon

Bad news for Castlevania and Enslaved, but then I haven't come across any adverts myself so that could be a factor. Even worse are the sales of Wii Party - I've seen this advertised everywhere* and it only just broke the Top 10? I'm not really shocked at PES's performance though; it really has been on a steep downhill slope for years now.

*Though to be fair, the adverts were horrendous.

KingDizzi

Banned
Spiegel said:

And Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light is #14 in the NINTENDO DS (FULL PRICE) chart. Wow

Yep it's JLS sitting on a sofa getting all giddy playing the game, definitely not as bad as the DQ IX adverts though. Goodness at the PES numbers, never thought I would be seeing such low numbers.

Xater

Garjon said:
Bad news for Castlevania and Enslaved, but then I haven't come across any adverts myself so that could be a factor. Even worse are the sales of Wii Party - I've seen this advertised everywhere* and it only just broke the Top 10? I'm not really shocked at PES's performance though; it really has been on a steep downhill slope for years now.

*Though to be fair, the adverts were horrendous.

Judging by the demo they improved PES quite a bit, but I don't know how it stacks up to FIFA overall.

NHale

schennmu said:

Since the UK charts are weekly and almost every game in the UK is released on Friday, almost every game 1st week sales are "only one or two days".

Still most of the games peak in the 1st week with only those "one or two days" sales and I don't see why Castlevania would have legs, especially against the typical Fall releases. It will have legs but only when UK retailers drop the price to £19.99 and after a couple of weeks at that price it will disappear from the charts and never return.

Dabanton

I was busy this weekend so missed out on both Castlevania and Enslaved. Sort of glad now as i have a feeling they will be heavily discounted very soon...

Dabanton said:
I was busy this weekend so missed out on both Castlevania and Enslaved. Sort of glad now as i have a feeling they will be heavily discounted very soon...

Yup. They'll be forgotten once Fallout, GT5, Fable etc are released.

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm working out the numbers here, and they will be very low:

- Halo Reach at #4 is just over 26,000
- PES 2011 sold just over 80,000 so based on the Halo Reach number the sales spilt is 4:1 (PS3/Xbox 360)

Some more data:

ALL FORMATS

1. FIFA 11 - 303,770
2. PES 2011 - 82,000
3. Dead Rising 2 - 42,689
4. F1 2010 - ?
5. Halo Reach - 26,000
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - ?
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - ?

Withnail

Castlevania and Enslaved are similar action adventure style games, and their combined sales would appear to be pretty equal on both platforms. Maybe PS3 owners just favoured Castlevania because Enslaved is less enticing on a console with Uncharted 2. Who knows. The numbers are probably tiny anyway.

Pooya

going by 42,689 numbers that Opus posted and 60-38 split. DR2 PS3 is at 16221

so

CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW PS3 < 16K

The January bargain bins are going to be awesome at this rate.

Ninja Theory can't seem to make a game that will sell well, even when it does have a massive ad campaign.

Pooya

Opus Angelorum said:
Indeed, and the Xbox 360 version is around 9k.
it's 54-46, so 360 version is at most <14k and total sales are less than 30k, it's definitely below this but how did you come up with 9k number?
EDIT: FIFA 11 Wii, got it, so CLoS PS3 is lower that 16k, more like 11k!

Empty said:
Delicious prospects for rapid price drops with those Enslaved and Castlevania sales.

I usually hate this attitude but I'm gonna wait for Castlevania bomba. Give me a decent framerate, some polish (don't corrupt the freakin' save state!), Castlevania music and Castlevania enemies and I'll be there day one.

Xater

Galvanise_ said:
The January bargain bins are going to be awesome at this rate.

Ninja Theory can't seem to make a game that will sell well, even when it does have a massive ad campaign.

I have never seen much appeal in any of their projects. I don't even think I#ll bite for the bargain bin price. Castlevania on the other hand is another story.

miladesn said:
it's 54-46, so 360 version is at most <14k and total sales are less than 30k, it's definitely below this but how did you come up with 9k number?
EDIT: FIFA 11 Wii, got it, so CLoS PS3 is lower that 16k, more like 11k!

Yes, total for Castlevania is around 20k.

Pooya

6k < Enslaved PS3 < 9k - 47%

so

9k < Enslaved 360 < ~10150 - 53%

so looking to be ~10k for 360 and ~8.87k for PS3 and total of ~19k.

ALL FORMATS

1. FIFA 11 - 303,770
2. PES 2011 - 82,000
4. F1 2010 - ?
5. Halo Reach - 26,000
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - 19,000
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - 18,870

Kenka

Opus Angelorum said:
ALL FORMATS

1. FIFA 11 - 303,770
2. PES 2011 - 82,000
4. F1 2010 - ?
5. Halo Reach - 26,000
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - 19,000
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - 18,870

What a difference between PES and FIFA. Amazing.

Pooya

Konami is doomed, even PES doesn't sell much now, they are Metal Gear company at this point and Peace Walker didn't sell well outside of Japan. Their fiscal year report is going to be so grim :\ .

Mael

Spiegel said:

Wait! That's out?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kenka

miladesn said:
Konami is doomed, even PES doesn't sell much now, they are Metal Gear company at this point and Peace Walker didn't sell well outside of Japan. Their fiscal year report is going to be so grim :\ .

I hope Konami still has an ace of two up its sleeve.

miladesn said:
And it's a shame really. You could say they brought this upon themselves (the PSP is a virtually dead platform in the west, PES was mismanaged for years while FIFA took many steps forward and their LoS marketing was basically non-existent), but these are still quality products underperforming left and right. I hope they can catch some breath with MGS Rising and maybe try a thing or two on 3DS.

Galvanise_ said:
Apparently Mercury Steam has already begun development on a LOS sequel. Sales at this rate don't warrant it.

Well if the word of it having been cheaply produced is true, then it might happen. The game also doesn't seem to have had much of any marketing money spent on it either.

Spiegel

miladesn said:

PES sells much better in mainland Europe and this year's version will surely outsell MGS4 like each one of them did before.

It's true that the PES cash cow is getting smaller and smaller and they will have to do something soon to stay out of trouble but not next year. They have two Metal Gear Solid games lined up in 2011.

Xater

miladesn said:

Peace Walker though was alright quality wise. The problem was choosing a pretty much dead platform in the west.

The changes in PES came way too late. A PES on this level shozld have been out 2 year ago then things might have been different.

dolemite

Tiger Woods PGA 11 (PS3) is ~< 6k which means the 360 version at the bottom of the chart at #39 is about 4k. Looks like a very flat sales plateau for the titles below #20.

Top Bottom