• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 50, 2015

The saddest for Xenoblade is not being out of the UK top 40 (it was expected given the first week) but not being on the France top 5, where Nintendo and JRPG are both usually welcome. I really expected it to chart at least one week here. Instead, Rainbow Six, erk.

With that said...
I bought digital

geordiemp

No Xenoblade? UK has shit gaming taste confirmed

No, UK has great tastes and is not interested in shit games that look like crap, confirmed.

I dont get why would anyone buy a game where you take turns and looks like a ps2 game,. but each to their own.

I dont get JRPG's, you dont get western action games...each to their own....I dont call JRPG's shit do I, I dont understand the appeal but I leave it there...

jaina

The biggest concern for X is that it didn't even chart in France, where normally Nintendo stuff actually does quite well on launch.
It's because of the top 5. X launched at 7th in Germany, so I expect it to manage somewhere in top 20 on release in France.

Well that's because it's a babbygame. Hardcore games sell much better, like Halo 5.

Not to be that guy, but if gaming went to SWBF type games only and we lost stuff like Halo 5. i would quit gaming. I am bored of Star wars after 2 matches. Heartbreaking, but then it's like everything, the biggest selling stuff is far from the best. Music etc

I thought Xenoblade was one of the best games of the last gen, but I'm not going to invest in a console that's dead in my country, with a successor already on the book, just to play one game. Maybe if Nintendo had lowered the price I would have jumped in, but the fact the Wii U is in the same price range as the Xbone or ps4 is just utterly nuts.

This, so fucking much, when the Xenoblade bundle is £249.99, or i could get an Xbox one, Ori/ Rare replay and battlefront from £270 or an xbox one + FIFA, for £260 it is stupid.

I've been scouring everything to get a cheap Wii U new bundle just too get Xenoblade, but i can't really justify to myself buying a console, that is dead, that is going to have its successor out in 12 months for around £250, console needs to be £150 solus for me to buy.

Footos22

This, so fucking much, when the Xenoblade bundle is £249.99, or i could get an Xbox one, Ori/ Rare replay and battlefront from £270 or an xbox one + FIFA, for £260 it is stupid.

I've been scouring everything to get a cheap Wii U new bundle just too get Xenoblade, but i can't really justify to myself buying a console, that is dead, that is going to have its successor out in 12 months for around £250, console needs to be £150 solus for me to buy.

Deals have been shit lately.

2013 black Friday I managed to get a wii U premium with 3 games from amazon for £180.

Nothing close since

No, UK has great tastes and is not interested in shit games that look like crap, confirmed.

I dont get why would anyone buy a game where you take turns and looks like a ps2 game,. but each to their own.

I dont get JRPG's, you dont get western action games...each to their own....I dont call JRPG's shit do I, I dont understand the appeal but I leave it there...
Little harsh but your right about UK tastes.
It has great tastes.

jaina

Pretty sure it was at 7 in Germany, beating everything but the big hitters on PS4.
Thanks, checked back in the other thread and corrected it. So it MIGHT have reached 5th in France (as JRPG/Nintendo tend to rank a bit higher there), but in fact didn't.

panda-zebra

Not to be that guy, but if gaming went to SWBF type games only and we lost stuff like Halo 5. i would quit gaming. I am bored of Star wars after 2 matches. Heartbreaking, but then it's like everything, the biggest selling stuff is far from the best. Music etc

pssst... not every game is made with you or the GAF massive in mind. It's Star Wars, it's shooty, but as a 16-rated game, for a parent it's not as iffy to buy for your kids as some of the 18-rated FPS stuff that they might really want to play. For a game released before xmas, that's a win in my book.

We need as wide a spread of titles as possible... if something like SWBF can help bridge that gap and get the slightly older kids off their small devices and buying/playing consoles or on PC, that has positives for the future. There's nothing to suggest all shootbangs are going to get dumbed down to these levels, but without games like this and Splatoon, maybe you old Halo fans, dwindling in numbers, won't readily be replaced without gateway titles that can pull more people into the fold?

geordiemp

Little harsh but your right about UK tastes.
It has great tastes.

Sorry about that, gets me riled up when people think its cool to hate on popular western games like BF, COD, GTA and praise JRPG's.

People have different tastes..nobody is right...just different

If it wasn't for sites like GAF, I wouldn't even know Xenoblade had released.

Totally agree. I can put my hand on my heart and say I have never seen a WiiU in real life, only pictures, never mind the games... Most shops do not sell it, stock it or display it, and certainly dont have demo stations ( I have a Wii though )

GeeTeeCee

If it wasn't for sites like GAF, I wouldn't even know Xenoblade had released. I haven't seen a single shred of marketing from Nintendo. I can't blame the public for not buying a game Nintendo doesn't care to let them know even exists. Between TW3 and my upcoming playthrough of Fallout 4 I can't justify another 100 hour+ RPG anyway.

Now that AC: Syndicate is sub-£25 I caved in and bought it.

pssst... not every game is made with you or the GAF massive in mind. It's Star Wars, it's shooty, but as a 16-rated game, for a parent it's not as iffy to buy for your kids as some of the 18-rated FPS stuff that they might really want to play. For a game released before xmas, that's a win in my book.

We need as wide a spread of titles as possible... if something like SWBF can help bridge that gap and get the slightly older kids off their small devices and buying/playing consoles or on PC, that has positives for the future. There's nothing to suggest all shootbangs are going to get dumbed down to these levels, but without games like this and Splatoon, maybe you old Halo fans, dwindling in numbers, won't readily be replaced without gateway titles that can pull more people into the fold?

Hey I'm happy star wars exists. I'm not the one going into threads making sly remarks about how something sells over another game. I was just making a statement against those kinds of remarks while stating those light hearted games are not for me.

Sorry about that, gets me riled up when people think its cool to hate on popular western games like BF, COD, GTA and praise JRPG's.

People have different tastes..nobody is right...just different

I can put my hand on my heart and say I have never seen a WiiU in real life, only pictures, never mind the games... Most shops do not sell it, stock it or display it, and certainly dont have demo stations. I have a Wii though

Yeah I agree with you here. I find it ignorant when someone says a specific region has shit taste just because their favorite game or genre didn't do well.

Nintendo is the one to fault.
They fucked up with the Wii U. Simple as that.

Hope they do better with their next console, whatever it is. If not, I could see myself buying Nintendo games for my PS5.
last part is a half-joke

Hasney

What were Nintendo thinking releasing it at the busiest period of the year?

It's the only thing Nintendo had of any quality ready to go for this period. It was the only thing they could do to try and drum up some Wii U sales for Christmas.

Obviously, nothing would have really worked, but I can't fault them for not having something out at this time of year.

Nintendo is the one to fault.
They fucked up with the Wii U. Simple as that.

Hope they do better with their next console, whatever it is. If not, I could see myself buying Nintendo games for my PS5.
last part is a half-joke

And to be fair, unless it's a Wii style megahit, it's not going to make massive jumps in the UK anyway. The fact that XCX is up 73% on the previous game is good and if Nintendo or anyone else had better expectations for it in this country, they were deluded.

Kysen

Nintendo being stubborn with the Wii U price tag is what is doing the most damage here in the UK. It is way too expensive for what it offers. Add in competition being only £20 more and it is a joke.

Hasney

Nintendo being stubborn with the Wii U price tag is what is doing the most damage here in the UK. It is way too expensive for what it offers. Add in competition being only £20 more and it is a joke.

Well they're not willing to lose money on it and by the time the new consoles came out, it was already a write off. Might as well make some meagre profit rather than losses. I don't think a price drop would be beneficial for them, especially when it would still sell like shit and then lose them money on top.

Chris1

Well they're not willing to lose money on it and by the time the new consoles came out, it was already a write off. Might as well make some meagre profit rather than losses. I don't think a price drop would be beneficial for them, especially when it would still sell like shit and then lose them money on top.

I agree, even with a realistic price drop it won't help much. Only way I can see a price drop helping is if it was to £100 or something, but there's no chance of that happening. £200 won't do much when plenty of places have had xbox ones for like £230.

nib95

Banned

That's the main reason I haven't picked one up again. But honestly, now it's too late. With the NX around the corner, I'm not going to pick up a Wii U even if it's dead cheap.

Phamit

Atleast on Amazon.de Xenoblade seems to be undershipped, pre release it was several times out of stock and since release the game is out of stock too,

but in the UK the Wii U is just dead

Hoo-doo

Banned

Not to be that guy but if gaming went to [GENERIC SHOOTING GAME] type games only and we lost stuff like [GENERIC SHOOTING GAME SEQUEL]. I would quit gaming.

Well okay. I think it's quite clear that multiplayer shooters are as popular as ever and both games are doing slightly different things with the same core formula. There really isn't that much that sets the two apart and there is plenty of games that cater to your specific playstyle.

stryke

This should go well with my chips.

noobie

Banned
Star Wars Battlefront is better positioned than I expected in the race for Christmas number one (week 52). It should get a sizable bump next week thanks to the release of the movie.

I still think Call of Duty: Black Ops III will be the winner, but I'm starting to have doubts about it.

Fifa 16 is heavily bundled and is more dependent of hardware sales, so it is also a legitimate candidate for taking No1 in a week where lots of new console systems will be sold.

Will we be getting Week 52 and Week 53 numbers after the holidays are over? or they are not reported ever...

No Xbone 2m announce yet?
Such announcements are usually made on Tuesday or atleast not on the same day of chart release... if my memory serves me correctly

Raist

Banned
It must have passed it by now. Can MS stop MCV from announcing it?

Probably not. They'd get that info from UKIE/GfK so it's not up to MS to decide with whether they can publish it or not I guess.

Will we be getting Week 52 and Week 53 numbers after the holidays are over? or they are not reported ever...

They're always reported, and not delayed either unless it's an actual bank holiday. Week 52 was published on the 29th of December last year which was a monday, for instance.

Hasney

It must have passed it by now. Can MS stop MCV from announcing it?

Probably not. They'd get that info from UKIE/GfK so it's not up to MS to decide with whether they can publish it or not I guess.

They're always reported, and not delayed either unless it's an actual bank holiday. Week 52 was published on the 29th of December last year which was a monday, for instance.

I think they could. I believe the agreement says not to state numbers, even milestones without permission from GfK/UKIE. If MS have cut a deal to not have them announced, they won't be announced.

I have a feeling that it may even be to do with UKIE trying to get digital sales. Maybe not announcing them without MS's say so could help them cut a deal for XBL digital sales to rank.

r8Cb.jpg

Found Xenoblade in the All formats.

Wii U is fucked in the UK no matter what game, as seen by the Black Friday sales, barely a Wii game in the top 40. Seems like when the Wii U and 3DS were in trouble everywhere, it went under in the UK and just pulled through elsewhere.

For those asking on the first page, Xenoblade charted last week and it's gone this week

Last week, week 49 UK chart individual units

31 (28) XBO MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)
32 (39) PS4 WWE 2K16 (TAKE 2)
33 (34) PS4 MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (TELLTALE GAMES)
34 (NE) WIU XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X (NINTENDO)
35 (__) XBO WWE 2K16 (TAKE 2)
36 (20) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
37 (30) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
38 (29) 360 DISNEY INFINITY 3.0 (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
39 (35) PS3 MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (TELLTALE GAMES)
40 (36) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2016 (SEGA)

Rymuth

Hey I'm happy star wars exists. I'm not the one going into threads making sly remarks about how something sells over another game.

Says he's not making sly remarks. Makes sly remarks that Halo 5 should be selling over Battlefront.

I'm drowning in irony. El oh el :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The point is that there's room in the market for a shallow shooter that looks pretty and makes people feel like they're in a movie.

The balance issues are separate.

Top Bottom