• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palutena Confirmed for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U

Motor Bug2005

Neo Member
I'm uncertain. I don't think it sounds like her in the reveal trailer.
If it is, she's out of practice on the voice she used in Uprising.
I agree that her voice sounds slightly different. It now sounds like it's Laura Bailey providing it; what almost convinces me of this is that Palutena's voice in the reveal trailer is virtually identical to Blaze the Cat's voice in Sonic Generations IMO (whom Laura currently voices along with Omochao).

Gartooth

Holy crap seriously!? Wow, the replacement VA did an incredible job mimicking the voice from Uprising, I honestly thought it was the same person.

Zalman

Holy crap seriously!? Wow, the replacement VA did an incredible job mimicking the voice from Uprising, I honestly thought it was the same person.
Seems like the two are close friends and apparently she did a lot of research and listening.

The Adder

Banned
It's okay because Bayonetta is parody for whatever reasons.

It's parody because it features a super sexualized female protagonist whose sexuality is played for laughs (opening where they soft focus and put pink borders around the screen while her nun costume is shredded for example) while inverting or outright lambasting tropes used in your classic hero tales.

The competent and capable good(ish) are either women or men who exist on the periphery of the story.

The damsel in distress is a dude.

The main villain is a male, but not a real threat. The real threat is a goddess.

Neiteio

Brandy Kopp sounds close enough. I was nearly positive it was Ali Hillis, and that's coming from someone who played 111+ hours (one hundred eleven hours) of Kid Icarus Uprising

And my hands are fine, thank you

arab

this thread is a real testament to the state of gender in video games. but i guess we gotta figure out if she's wearing panties, right?!?

Jawmuncher

If they can get such a good replacement for Palutena wonder if something like that would happen with Snake.

Holding out till the bitter end.

Neiteio

this thread is a real testament to the state of gender in video games. but i guess we gotta figure out if she's wearing panties, right?!?
That thigh-high slit on the one side of her dress, coupled with the knee sock, was measured out in exacting fashion, presumably with an electron microscope. You can tell they put a lot of thought into it. They show so much while showing so little. And that's before you even get to the mystery of the pantsu. I can only imagine the greatest thinkers of the future will wrestle with this matter.

laoni

Yeah, I could tell it wasn't Ali at first listen, but I didn't know who it was.

She sounds good though, really close. There was just something...off, to me.

Some Nobody

Being me is confusing. Because:

I hear you, men and women are just fundamentally different in this regard.

But have you considered the other side of the coin? About how hard it is to be a man and not be ruled by your penis? It's not that we want to look at women as sexual beings all the time, it's that we can't help not to.

Women should, and probably do, feel empowered by the fact that they can manipulate men to get exactly what they want, when they want it. Men can be seen as disposable entertainment, because our feelings are more primitive and not really 'feelings'. We should just hang our head in shame when our biology is telling us that a woman is hot. Right?

Just throwing that out there, have a nice day. :)

>_< You're making us sound positively ridiculous. You're an adult and fully capable of not making other adults of the opposite sex feel uncomfortable with words and actions. Seriously, the next time you decide to use "your penis" as a reason to explain your actions towards women...don't?

And it's not that I don't kinda understand what you mean, but...please find a better way to say it? Something that doesn't literally reduce us to our genitals?

And yet. That said....

It's two. Fucking. Seconds. Like, seriously. That's not even hyperbole. Two. Fucking. Seconds. The rest of the trailer made Palutena look so cool that she went from "character I've never heard of" to "OMG I WANT SMASH SO I CAN PLAY AS HER". It's a two minute trailer, but we're discarding 118 seconds because...I don't know why.

Neiteio

That said....

It's two. Fucking. Seconds. Like, seriously. That's not even hyperbole. Two. Fucking. Seconds. The rest of the trailer made Palutena look so cool that she went from "character I've never heard of" to "OMG I WANT SMASH SO I CAN PLAY AS HER". It's a two minute trailer, but we're discarding 118 seconds because...I don't know why.
Yeah, and that's what pains me. Making a stink about two seconds of fully-clothed body parts just undermines the dialogue on much more severe depictions just about everywhere else in the industry. What they showed is equivalent to a muscular dude flexing his muscles.

The objectification of women in videogames is a very real issue, but people aren't going to take it seriously when this is the example. I mean, there are girls at private schools who look more provocative than anything in this trailer. I think the higher-priority topics are shit like Ivy Valentine in Soulcalibur, I.E. designs clearly meant to turn men on, hence design choices such as a metal thong wedged up her ass.

That said, if there are people who are concerned about Palutena's depiction, they have every right to say so, and I don't mean to discourage them. Just sharing my viewpoint.

LOL @ the sexism argument getting revived with the bump.

Yeah, I could tell it wasn't Ali at first listen, but I didn't know who it was.

She sounds good though, really close. There was just something...off, to me.
It felt slightly off to me, too, but I wasn't certain. Kudos to the voice actress for making it seem to similar.

Mechazawa

Because for two seconds, the audience are treated as pandered idiots. It's called fan service for a reason, homegirl.

That doesn't discount the rest of the 2 minutes. It just makes the 2 seconds stick out like a sore thumb and ripe for criticism.

Top Bottom