• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panama Leaks Case: The most important judicial trial in Pakistan's history

Linkark07

Banned
At least somebody is taking Panama corruption decently seriously.
The road to removing the PM for corruption is always spiky.
Godspeed to Pakistan, and thank you OP for keeping us updated.

You know the irony? The country from where those leaks came from and they haven't done anything at all. We have all these scandals about Odebrecht and yet nobody is in prison. And our Government is doing anything they can for delay any investigation.

Congratulations to Pakistan for doing something. Thanks for the updates OP.

As a American, I don't quite understand the concept of the courts being used to bring powerful politiicians to heel /s

But damn this thread is a white knuckle thrill ride

E: Can we donate money to the OP?

Government now begins a carefully orchestrated campaign to take the supreme court head on, Remember, this is a party that stormed the Supreme Court in 1997 when the prime minister was charged with contempt of court.

SC judge's 'unfounded allegations' against govt regretful: spokesperson

The government has denounced a Supreme Court judge's statement calling the attorney general a representative of the 'Sicilian mafia', saying that the comments were against the code and conduct of the apex court.

During the opening of the case against Senator Nehal Hashmi after his outburst against the judiciary, the Supreme Court bench hearing the case had a particularly fiery exchange with Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf.

"Congratulations Mr Attorney General: it seems that your government has joined the Sicilian Mafia," Justice Sheikh Azmat quipped as he addressed the AG on Thursday.

"We have faced military dictatorships, but even they did not dare threaten our children," Justice Afzal said to the AG. "Our children are being threatened under your government," he observed.

Expressing "deep regret" over the remarks, the government spokesperson in a statement said the SC judge levelled "unfounded allegations" against the government

"The prime minister's actions against a PML-N member were neglected during the hearing," the government spokesperson said.

The spokesperson added that records available in print and social media proved that the government swiftly expressed its anger when Hashmi's inflammatory speech came to light, which also showed that the government's policies were not in line with Hashmi's remarks.

He also noted that the Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Marriyum Aurangzeb clarified that Hashmi's remarks had no link with PML-N and its policies.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1336754/s...legations-against-govt-regretful-spokesperson

Also note that they did not mention who the government spokesperson was on this occasion.

Hassan Nawaz appears before JIT for Panama Papers probe
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s younger son, Hassan Nawaz, appeared on Friday before a joint investigation team probing into the Panamagate case.

Hassan was supposed to appear before the JIT two days ago but on his request the probing team allowed him to be present today for investigation. According to Express News, PM Nawaz’s younger son also brought with him the required documents which the said JIT had inquired about.

Earlier on May 30, the JIT grilled the prime minister’s son Hussain Nawaz for almost three hours as part of investigation to establish the money trail for the purchase of luxury flats in an upscale neighbourhood of London.

Appearing perturbed after another hours-long questioning by the JIT on Thursday, Hussain claimed the ongoing probe against him and his family was the latest example of a tradition of political victimisation that began during the tenure of Pakistan’s fifth premier.

Seemingly unhappy with the JIT interview, the prime minister’s scion said that it would be ‘okay’ if the investigation proceeds fairly and in accordance with law. “But if someone will not be fair, then it should be brought to the notice of the Supreme Court, public and media,” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1425442/hassan-nawaz-appears-jit-panama-papers-probe/

Panamagate probe: Hussain complains of victimisation

ISLAMABAD:
Appearing perturbed after another hours-long questioning by the joint investigation team (JIT) looking into the Panamagate case on Thursday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s son Hussain Nawaz claimed the ongoing probe against him and his family was the latest example of a tradition of political victimisation that began during the tenure of Pakistan’s fifth premier.

“From the time of [prime minister] Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy to this day, politicians have always suffered from political victimisation,” he complained before reporters following his questioning, the third in five days.

Without mentioning a timeframe, Hussain said he had been asked to reappear for another questioning session in the coming days. No fresh summons has been issued to him though, he said.

“I am here after attending a long session with the JIT. I reached around 10am and now it’s 4:15pm. They made me wait for two hours,” Hussain told reporters. “[But] I will come as many times as they summon me.” To a question about his younger brother, Hasan Nawaz, Hussain said “he [Hasan] will also come Inshallah (Allah willing).”

“Whosoever is summoned will appear before the JIT. We have been answering their questions, as politicians are always held accountable and answerable,” Hussain said. He complained that his lawyer was not allowed to accompany him during the questioning.

To another question, Hussain claimed he did not know why he and his family were being investigated. “There is nothing new in the ongoing cases against us. Cases were also lodged against us during the tenure of military dictator Pervez Musharraf.”

When asked about difference between questioning during the Musharraf and now, Hussain said “They [Musharraf’s regime] used to question us in isolation with no permission to talk to our lawyers. We were not allowed to meet our children and our family. Today, this is not so. The situation is a little different this time around.”

About the investigation, Hussain said he answered all the questions the JIT members asked him. “You should ask them [JIT] if they were satisfied or not,” he added.

“But, I want to make it clear and there should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that there exists no evidence of any irregularity or crime against the prime minister, me or my siblings. We committed no irregularity so it’s beyond question that they [JIT] will find any evidence,” the prime minister’s son said.

According to sources, Hussain has submitted almost all the documents about offshore firms and properties sought by the JIT. On Thursday he was questioned in light of the documents produced by him on Tuesday.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1425201/panamagate-probe-hussain-complains-victimisation/

Hasan, Kayani testify before JIT

ISLAMABAD:
Prime Minister’s younger son Hasan Nawaz and his business associate Javed Kayani on Friday testified before the joint investigation team, formed to probe the Sharif family’s offshore assets, amid heightened security outside the JIT Secretariat.

Under the new security measures, nobody was allowed to stand in the proximity of the Federal Judicial Academy — the official JIT secretariat where the hearing took place – let aside entering it.

With the probe unfolding, PM’s elder son Hussain Nawaz has been summoned before the JIT today (Saturday) for the fourth time, while Finance Minister Ishaq Dar has also been ordered to appear along with him.

And on Friday, on the basis of the documents submitted before the Supreme Court in the Panamagate case, it was alleged that PM’s business associate Kayani had opened three fake accounts in early 1990s in the names of Sulman Zia, Muhammad Ramzan and Asghar Ali at Habib Bank AG Zurich branch in Lahore. The FIA had later found out that none of the three individuals existed and fake identity cards had been used to open the said accounts.

The bank’s records had revealed that large sums of money had been transferred from the said accounts to Sheikh Saeed Muhammad, a close friend of Prime Minister Sharif based in Washington DC.

Kayani, the individual behind the opening of the fake accounts, is said to be the nephew of Sheikh Saeed Muhammad.

It is also alleged that Kayani additionally opened three more accounts at the Bank of America in Lahore in the names of Kashif Masood Qazi, Sikander Masood Qazi and Nuzhat Masood Qazi.

Records showed that a sum of $20 million had been transferred from the ‘fake’ account of Sulman Zia to the account of Kashif Masood Qazi. The money had been used as collateral by the Sharif family for sanctioning a loan for Hudabiya Engineering Ltd from the Bank of America. The directors of Hudaibiya Engineering Ltd at that time were Hussain Nawaz, Kulsoom Nawaz, Nawaz Sharif and Shehbaz Sharif.

Meanwhile, Hasan – who recently arrived in Pakistan from the UK after receiving summons from the JIT – reached the venue at around 10am along with some folders containing documents. He was questioned for almost seven hours as he left the building at around 5:05pm.

During this time, Hasan tried to go outside the secretariat building but he was not allowed. Later, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders claimed that Hasan was not allowed to leave the venue for Friday prayers.

Under the new security protocol devised for the protection of the Federal Judicial Academy, the entry of everyone — including federal ministers, MPs, political activists and others — has been completely banned even in the proximity of the secretariat’s main entrance.

For this reason, the security personnel deputed to guard the building on Friday did not allow Minister for Capital Administration and Development Division Tariq Fazal Chaudhry, Islamabad Mayor Sheikh Ansar Aziz and others to enter the newly cordoned-off area in front of the main gate of the JIT Secretariat.

The PML-N leaders were not allowed to receive Hasan upon his arrival to record his statement, nor were they allowed to say good-bye to him at the time of his departure due to the new security arrangements.

According to sources, the standard operating procedures of the new security have been devised by the Islamabad police as the JIT members had expressed their annoyance over the media talk of the PM’s elder son Hussain Nawaz on Thursday and the presence of PML-N activists on that occasion.

Hasan’s earlier interview to a foreign news channel was quoted as reference against the Sharif family where he told the interviewer that the Sharif family does not own London flats rather his family pays monthly rent against the flats to retain them. The claim was in contradiction with what other family members had later claimed.

Due to strict security arrangements in place, Hasan, unlike his brother Hussain, did not talk to the media before and after appearing in front of the JIT.

On Thursday, Hussain, who has appeared thrice before the JIT, claimed that the ongoing probe against him and his family was the latest example of a tradition of political victimisation that began during the tenure of Pakistan’s fifth premier Huseyn Shaheed Suharawardy.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1426142/top-court-finds-no-substance-hussains-objections/

A picture of Hussain Nawaz from the Judicial academy was leaked, it is unknown if he was in the waiting room or being interrogated at the time, but no doubt this is a ploy
to gain sympathy as the ruling party are already appealing to the conspiratorial mindset in their supporters by suggesting the JIT is a conspiracy against them.

DBaxqeiVYAAUfAV.jpg:large

ISLAMABAD: A picture of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's son Hussain Nawaz before grilling session with Joint Investigation Team (JIT) at the Federal Judicial Academy here has gone viral on social media, ARY News reported on Sunday.

The photo that apparently dates back to May 28 shows the premier's son Hussain Nawaz sitting on a chair before an interrogation session by the JIT. The leaked photo is raising questions about the source behind it.

https://arynews.tv/en/hussain-nawazs-photo-grilling-session-jit-goes-viral/

The government also leaked whatsapp calls between the Supreme Court registrar and the chief of Securites and Exchange Commission Pakistan to the media in order to make the JIT controversial. The registrar basically told the head of SECP to nominate specific names in the JIT; however, the controversy is nonsense since the Supreme Court in its judgement stated they would nominate the JIT themselves.

It is now apparent that the government is monitoring calls of judges and probably their family members after this.

ISLAMABAD: On April 28, 2017, Chairman Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan Zafar Hijazi wrote a letter to Registrar Supreme Court Arbab Muhammad Arif and the issue discussed was the ”WhatsApp" call and the JIT.

The letter gives details of how by using iPhone application the SECP chairman was conveyed, ”the directions are that the name of Mr. Bilal Rasool should be included in the new panel."

The letter reveals that initially the Registrar SC spoke to the chairman SECP from his official number on the issue of JIT constitution but before concluding told the chairman that he wants to immediately talk to the latter using WhatsApp. The chairman immediately did receive a call which was initially considered a WhatsApp call from a US number but later found iPhone's FaceTime call.

On April 29, the chairman SECP clarified to the SC Registrar through a "corrigendum" that on scrutiny of phone it transpired that the call was in fact made from iPhone application instead of WhatsApp application. The number used was 03468887777.

The letter having subject -- ”Constitutional Petition Nos. 29-30 of 2016 and Constitutional Petition No. 3 of 2017 -- Imran Khan Niazi and others vs Mian Nawaz Sharif and others" -- reads as:

”Dear Arbab Muhammad Arif Sahib -- Assalam-o-Alaikim,

I refer to your letter dated April 27, 2017 in response to SECP's letter No. SECP/CP 29-30/ dated April 26, 2017 on the subject matter, I have been directed to furnish two more names in connection with constitution of JIT.

In pursuance thereof, I am pleased to recommend two more suitable officers of the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) for gracious consideration and approval of the Honourable Bench to be selected as a nominee of the SECP in the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), as deemed appropriate and fit by the lordships.

i. Mr Ali Azeem Ikram -- Executive Dir

ii. Mr Yasir Manzoor -- Director

2. It is pertinent to mention here that while I was in the process of selection of further two names for complying the written directions, my staff officer informed me about the telephonic message from your side, desiring to speak on phone.

3. Subsequently, on my request, my staff officer connected you on your given landline number 051-9213770 and you required confirmation regarding receipt of subject letter through fax, which was confirmed. Further, you also conveyed that you would speak on WhatsApp (a messenger application), shortly. Immediately thereafter, I received a call on WhatsAPP wherein the caller said, ”the directions are that the name of Mr. Bilal Rasool should be included in the new panel".

4. Later, I noticed that the cell number from which WhatsAPP call was received, was a USA No. 001-412330826 and further that the date and time of receiving the call was 11:48 pm and date was 25th April, 2017 whereas, in actual the time was around 4:45 pm and the date was 27th April, 2017.

5. This has raised a serious doubt in my mind. Since, I have no means to verify the veracity of the aforementioned call, I am not considering it. However, I feel it is my duty to bring on record the aforementioned uncanny situation for information and record of the Honourable Supreme Court of Pakistan.

I again reiterate SECP's commitment to extend fullest institutional support and assistance to the JIT, as and when required, within the confines of its regulatory ambit.

With regards

Sd

Zafar Hijazi".

On April 29th, the chairman SECP issued a corrigendum addressed to Registrar SC to clarify:

"Please note that in para 3 & 4 of the aforementioned letter there is a reference of 'WhatsAPP' call made to the undersigned. However, on scrutiny of phone it transpires that the call was in fact made from iPhone application 'FaceTime' having number +923468887777 (at 4:44pm. yesterday) instead of 'WhatsApp' application. Accordingly para 3 & 4 of SECP's letter dated April 28, 2017 may be read as such with the aforestated correction. Contents of the rest of paras of SECP's letter dated April 28, 2017 are reiterated. (Copy of screen shot of the mentioned incoming FaceTime audio call is attached)."

No comments: SC registrar

ISLAMABAD: When Geo News correspondent asked the Supreme Court registrar Tuesday about the reported WhatsApp call, he said "no comments, let me do my job."

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/20...l-call-via-WhatsApp-name-Bilal-Rasool-for-JIT

Qatari Prince refuses to appear in person before JIT. This is huge because the entire case of the Sharifs rests on the Qatari letter which stated that sold the flats to the Sharifs in 2006 under a settlement. When the Supreme Court was told that Qatari had not replied to summons more than a week ago, they had stated that Qatari letter could be trashed if he did not appear.

ISLAMABAD: Qatari Prince Hamad Bin Jasim Bin Jaber Al Thani has on Monday responded to the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) by sending in a letter but on the other hand has apologised from appearing in person before the investigating team.

According to the letter submitted to the JIT, the Prince wouldn't be able to come to Pakistan due to his personal engagements.

Reportedly, Hussain Nawaz had suggested the JIT to record Hamad Bin Jasim Bin Jaber Al Thani's statement through video link, which they rejected.

On the other hand, the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) has received the reply of Qatari Prince through a letter.

According to reports, Pakistan's mission in Doha had received Qatari Prince's reply three days ago.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/06/05/qatari-prince-refuses-to-appear-in-person-before-jit/

A reminder of what transpired when the letter was first introduced back in November.

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court was not pleased on Tuesday to hear yet another explanation for how the Sharif family paid for its London properties, observing that both sides were doing their best to ensure that the court would eventually have to form a commission to decide the Panamagate case.

”This document has completely changed the public stand of the prime minister," Justice Asif Saeed Khosa observed after the Sharif children's newly-engaged counsel, Mohammad Akram Sheikh, presented before the court an attested letter from a former Qatari prime minister.

”This is all hearsay," said Justice Khosa, who is part of the five-judge larger bench, headed by Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, which has taken up the Panamagate case.

Like a rabbit out of a hat, Mr Sheikh had pulled out a document dated Nov 5, 2016 — marked private, confidential and not to be disclosed to any party, except for the benefit of the courts of Pakistan — on the letterhead of Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jaber Al Thani, who ruled Qatar from 2007 to 2013.

But the court was not amused. Justice Khosa observed the document originated only a few days ago and was not 30 years old, asking the counsel whether the gentleman who signed the letter would appear for cross-examination if the court placed the document on the record. Although he didn't respond before the court, Mr Sheikh told reporters after the hearing that the former Qatari premier would appear before the court, if necessary.

The letter states that Hamad's father — Jassim bin Jabr Al Thani — had ”longstanding business relations with Mian Mohammad Sharif" — Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's father — ”which were coordinated through my eldest brother". In the year 1980, ”Mian Sharif expressed his desire to invest a certain amount of money in real estate business of Al Thani family in Qatar," the document said.

”I understood at that time, that an aggregate sum of around Dirhams 12 million was contributed by Mian Sharif, originating from the sale of business in Dubai," the document said, adding that four flats: 16, 16A, 17 and 17A Avenfield House, Park Lane, London, were registered under the ownership of two offshore companies, while their bearer share certificates were kept in Qatar. ”These were purchased from the proceeds of the real estate business," the document claimed.

It went on to explain that ”on account of [the] relationship between the families, Mian Sharif and his family used the properties whilst bearing all expenses relating to the properties, including the ground rent and service charges".

”I can recall that during his life time, Mian Sharif wished that the beneficiary of his investment and returns in the real estate business [should be] his grandson Hussain Nawaz Sharif," it explained, adding that in the year 2006, the accounts in relation to this investment were settled between Hussain and the Al Thani family, who then delivered the bearer shares of the companies to his representative.

But Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali was not swayed and observed that the court would examine the evidentiary value of the document later.

”Do you understand the implication of the document?" Justice Khosa asked, pointing at Mr Sheikh. He observed that all this document explained that Hamad bin Jassim did not have to account for anything, and that his father was extremely kind and generous to give away money to Mian Sharif.

”You do not have any explanation for the properties except for this?" Justice Khosa inquired again.

He observed that while Nawaz Sharif was everybody's prime minister, the stance adopted before the court was different from what he said on the floor of the National Assembly on May 16, 2016, where PM Sharif had stated that the flats were purchased using proceeds from the sale of steel mills in Jeddah.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1296666

So why was the Qatari prince so interested in this case and why did he help the Sharif family? The answer as always lies in shady business deals.

ISLAMABAD: In a surprise twist, a new revelation came to the fore in Panamagate case as a Qatari prince, who came to Nawaz Sharif’s rescue before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, turned out to be a business partner of Sharif family’s frontman, Saifur Rehman.

Shaikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Hamad bin Abdullah bin Jassim bin Muhammed Al Thani, who sent a letter before the apex court hearing Panamagate case, came to be a business partner of former National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Saifur Rehman.

Sources said Qatar-based construction company, Redco International is owned by Qatari Prince Shaikh Hamad. It sister company, Redco Textile is being overseen by Saifur Rehman and his family.

It should be mentioned here that Redco website flashes photographs of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Saifur Rehman with Prince Hamad.

Meantime, Al Baraka company busy with different projects at Port Qasim is also owned by Qatari Prince Hamad, the sources said.

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2016/11/new-twist-appears-in-panamagate-case/

This is not mentioning the billions in LNG trade deal with Qatar in which the Sharif government has bought LNG at inflated rates. In short, there is no doubt in my mind personally that Sharifs are receiving kickbacks from Qataris in these deals, Such has been their Modus operandi for a long time. In the current case, they were asked by the court to disclose all their business dealings with this Qatari prince but failed to reply.

Amazingly enough, this isn't the first time they've asked help from Qatari princes in court cases, the older brother of this Qatari prince helped bail the Sharifs from a corruption case involving the purchase of an expensive helicopter.
RAWALPINDI, April 23 Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif filed an appeal in the Rawalpindi bench of the Lahore High Court on Thursday against his conviction by an accountabi lity court in a helicopter purchase case.

Judge Farrukh Latif of the accountability court had sentenced Mr Sharif on July 22, 2000, to 14 years` imprisonment and fined him Rs50 million. The trial was held in the Attock Fort.

The appeal has been flied by Advocate Khawaja Haris.

Mr Sharif has requested the LHC to set aside the judgment and declare his conviction unlawful because the trial was mock, unjust, unfair and hasty.

He said he had not been allowed to meet his counsel for consultations by the then dictator.

He also said that the court did not provide him a period of three weeks to prepare his defence against the charges of buying a helicopter in 1993 through income not shown in his assets.

Mr Sharif said in the appeal that the helicopter had been bought by a citizen of Qatar and there was no proof or evidence of his involvement in the corruption reference prepared by the National Accountability Bureau.

https://www.dawn.com/news/459663

Supreme Court satisfied with JIT's second report; JIT claims that institutions are not cooperating with them. Supreme Court tells them to submit a different application on their reservations which will be acted upon.

The joint investigation team (JIT) probing the prime minister's family's business dealings abroad submitted its second report before the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

After reviewing the report, the three-member special bench of the apex court, formed to monitor the JIT's proceedings, reiterated that the JIT will not be allowed extra time to complete the task assigned to it.

In a previous hearing, Justice Ijaz ul Ahsan had warned Additional Director General Wajid Zia, head of the JIT, that the tasks assigned to the investigative body should be completed within the 60-day timeframe provided to the team.

"We will not allow extra time under any circumstances," Justice Shiekh Azmat, a member of the bench, had said.

During Wednesday's hearing, Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, who heads the bench, observed that the first half of the JIT's report contained a list of difficulties faced by the team.

He advised the JIT to submit a separate application listing the "problems, obstacles and difficulties" being faced in completing the assigned task.

"Based on the application, we will issue directions to the attorney general," the judge said, adding that he hoped the team would complete the task in the allotted time.

The JIT told the court that investigations into the Sharif family's business abroad were proceeding in the right direction.

During the hearing, the lawyer representing Hussain Nawaz, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's eldest son, asked the bench to hear yet another petition filed on behalf of his client as soon as possible.

The application, filed before the apex court on Wednesday, seeks the formation of a commission to investigate the 'leaking' of a CCTV image of Hussain's appearance before the JIT.

It also seeks the court to prohibit the JIT from recording videos of the proceedings.

The court asked the JIT to file its response to Hussain Nawaz's request and scheduled a hearing for June 12.

Meanwhile the ruling party continues its attacks on JIT and Supreme Court.

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah on Wednesday said that the Sharif family reserves the right to boycott the JIT, DawnNews reported

"The members of the JIT do not enjoy the same privileges as the judges of the apex court do," he added while speaking to reporters in Lahore.

Although, the SC has constituted the JIT, the team members themselves are not the apex court, he said adding that the objections raised by Hussain Nawaz regarding two members of the JIT were not addressed.

"The objections should have been responded to," he said.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1338011/no-room-for-an-extension-supreme-court-reminds-panama-papers-jit

Nawaz Sharif's brother, Shahbaz Sharif who has been quiet since Panama scandal started has finally found his voice now that Hudaibya Paper Mills case is being re-investigated. Until now, Shahbaz Sharif was not implicated directly in the ownership of the flats but there is significant evidence on his money laundering in Hudaibya Case.
LAHORE:
Obliquely criticising the ongoing probe by a joint investigation team (JIT) into the ruling family's offshore properties, Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif has called for an impartial and across the board accountability and remarked: ”To hold a single family accountable is no accountability".

”I request the apex court to hold accountability without any discrimination so the country can move forward," Shehaz said on Tuesday while answering queries of journalists at the inaugural ceremony of a patient transfer system in Punjab's provincial capital.

”If accountability is to be done, it should be done across the board. The looters and plunderers in [scams like] NICL [National Insurance Company Limited], Bank of Punjab, Overseas Foundation, OGRA [Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority], Nandipur Project should also be held accountable," he added.

Without naming him, Shehbaz also took a swipe at the PPP Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari and asked why nobody was holding accountability of people, who have deposited $60 million in Swiss Banks.

He said all should be held accountable if and when needed but victimisation should be avoided, adding that the Sharif family had been victimised during previous regimes including that of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and General Pervez Musharraf.

To a question regarding a leaked picture of Hussain Nawaz being interrogated by the JIT, the CM said son of the prime minister was made to sit before a probe panel as if he had done corruption.

”He has not looted a penny of this country," Shehbaz said, adding that if the JIT had made sincere efforts, they would have brought back all the plundered money back to Pakistan.

According to sources in the ruling party, the chief minister made these statements a day after a meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Khawaja Saad Rafique, who were on a daylong visit to Lahore.

Sources said the JIT proceedings were discussed extensively in the meeting and the provincial government was advised to get vocal on Panamagate issue in line with the party policy. They said media interaction on Tuesday allowed the Punjab government to show its solidarity with PM's family.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1429098/targetting-one-family-no-accountability-shehbaz/

The first part of the JIT report consists of threats that are being directed towards the JIT themselves. According to media sources they are being told to make reports in the Sharif family's favor or else be prepared to face the consequences; To separate themselves from the investigation to buy more time; Nine-figure amounts are reportedly being offered as bribes to the JIT.

The head of the JIT has stated that all these threats will be made public on a separate petition filed in the SC, hopefully in the next day or two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good luck Pakistan gaf. My main (teenage) crew growing up were Pakistanis, along with a bunch of Bangladeshi kids and random Sikhs. Everyone got along, outside of the occasional fight over a girl at a Banghra. I learned to and can still swear in Punjabi at the occasional clerk or cab driver who calls me Gurra Tutti [sp].

Watching this play out is fascinating. One question - why is the leak of the photo of the President's son so scandalous?

Good luck Pakistan gaf. My main (teenage) crew growing up were Pakistanis, along with a bunch of Bangladeshi kids and random Sikhs. Everyone got along, outside of the occasional fight over a girl at a Banghra. I learned to and can still swear in Punjabi at the occasional clerk or cab driver who calls me Gurra Tutti [sp].

Watching this play out is fascinating. One question - why is the leak of the photo of the President's son so scandalous?

It's actually not scandalous, it's merely being used as a propaganda tool by the government to malign the JIT saying the JIT is out to get them and is biased.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders on Wednesday castigated the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) asking whether it was a probing body or a butcher shop.

PML-N leader Talal Chaudhry said that there was a need to make another JIT for this JIT. He said Sharif family was appearing before it despite reservations. “This is not legal but political case against the Sharif family,” he added.

Punjab Law Minister Punjab Rana Sanaullah said that the JIT report getting marred by controversy could lead to chaos in the country.

The provincial minister said this while speaking to media. “If a campaign starts against the JIT report, I will be at the forefront,” said Sanaullah. The minister said that the Sharif family reserves the right to boycott the JIT.

Sanaullah stated that it was the Supreme Court’s responsibility to present a satisfactory answer in relation to the issue of Hussain Nawaz’ picture before the session and the controversial Whatsapp call.

He said after the picture of the PM’s son surfaced, there was no doubt that the Sharif family was being ridiculed. He alleged that the witnesses in the case were being pressurised and notice should be taken of the matter.

Talking to media at the Press Information Department, former minister Mushahidullah Khan said calling an ambulance to the Federal Judicial Academy, JIT headquarters, was nothing more than a drama.

He said mother of Hussain Nawaz was worried amid reports of ambulance being sent to the Judicial Academy. "Any member of the JIT could have informed the family of Hussain Nawaz that he was fine, he said. He said son of an incumbent ruler was probed for seven hours.

Khan said even Musharraf, who had his entire government probing Nawaz Sharif, could not prove anything and ended up bringing ridiculous charges of plane hijacking. While talking to media, PML-N leaders said that unfortunately a media trial had been launched to malign prime minister and his family.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/209357-PML-N-asks-if-it-is-JIT-or-butcher-shop

This is the kind of mudslinging that is taking place in order to make the JIT controversial and all these statements came out in a single day. State ministers are working overtime and conducting 4-5 press conferences a day.

JIT is given evidence of money-laundering in Chaudhry Sugar Mills case owned by Sharifs. This is important because of the millions of dollars that were being sent back to Pakistan as 'gifts'. Pakistani law created by Sharifs in the 90s allows money coming into the country to be unquestioned by any authority, an easy way of whitening black money.

Tehlka TV has also obtained copies of correspondence and emails between Exchange Commission of Pakistan and British officials. The record shows that first about Rs800m and then about Rs78m was sent to Britain in 2009, through the Chaudhry Sugar Mills, owned by the Sharif family. The main concern of the British officials was that a huge sum of money had been transferred to their country, without major trade being taking place between the two countries.

The record had been put in cold storage after Nawaz Sharif became the prime minister of Pakistan. The record says the Sharif family had sent huge sums of money to London through its Chaudhry Sugar Mills and the money was received by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s son Hassan Nawaz in the UK.

The SECP had started investigations after a fraud alert was generated by huge money laundering by the Chaudhry Sugar Mills. It wrote its first letter to the UK Home Office on August 1, 2011. The letter said the SECP needed information about the recipient of the money, as he lived in Britain.

http://en.tehlka.tv/jit-finds-solid-proof-sharifs-money-laundering/

NBP president, A central figure in money laundering is now crying about mistreatment to the Supreme Court after his interrogation.

ISLAMABAD – National Bank of Pakistan President Saeed Ahmad has alleged the joint investigation team (JIT), probing assets of Sharif family, of mistreating him during interrogation contrary to the orders of Supreme Court.

As per details, the NBP head has sent a letter to registrar of the apex court over the alleged rude behaviour of the investigators.

He alleged that the JIT members adopted threatening and abusing behaviour towards him during the interrogation that made him feel as if he was a death row convict.

Ahmad further disclosed that he had to wait for five hours before the start of the interrogation, adding that the JIT members questioned him for more than 12 hours in three sessions.

Referring the orders of SC to treat the people with respect during interrogation, he stated in the letter that the member’s behaviour was totally contrary to the directions.

He had written a letter to the registrar on June 5.

Saeed Ahmad made his first appearance before the JIT on May 30 and recorded his statement.
https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pak...ama-jit-of-mistreatment-during-interrogation/

Panama JIT head submits petition in SC over threats.

ISLAMABAD (Dunya News) – Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing Panama case filed a petition in the Supreme Court on Saturday informing it about the threats and difficulties faced by the members, according to sources.

JIT head and Additional Director General of Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), Wajid Zia, was previously told by the apex court to submit a separate petition for their concerns.

He has told the Supreme Court about security concerns, criticism on members, external pressure and other obstacles faced by the JIT. Sources told the the petition was prepared by Wajid Zia himself and Irfan Naeem Mangi of the Balochistan National Accountability Bureau (NAB).

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/392244-Panama-JIT-head-submits-petition-in-SC-over-threat

Govt fails to convince Qatari prince to appear before JIT
ISLAMABAD:
The government has failed to convince Prince Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al Thani of Qatar to testify before the joint investigation team (JIT) probing into the offshore properties of the Sharif family.

Sources told The Express Tribune that Pakistan’s former attorney general Salman Aslam Butt and former chief of the defunct Ehtesab Bureau Saifur Rehman had been tasked to convince the Qatari royal to visit Pakistan for recording his statement before the JIT.

Subsequently, Butt had visited Qatar last week while Rehman is already stationed in the Arab state. However, both have failed to convince the prince, who had provided two letters to establish the money trail for the Sharif’s London properties during the hearing of the Panamagate case before the Supreme Court.

The JIT had sent two letters to the Qatari prince last month. In his reply, the prince had stated that he stood by the statement given in his letters presented before the Supreme Court.

However, a senior PML-N lawyer said the letter would not be enough to prove the money trial until the prince recorded his statement.

“The family has only less than a month to convince al Thani to record his statement,” he said, adding that Butt and Rehman were still making efforts to convince him to appear before the JIT via video link.

He said the legal team was also evolving an alternate strategy in case al Thani chose not to appear.

“Khawaja Haris advocate, who is supervising the family affairs before the JIT, will definitely make a plan to deal with the prevailing situation,” he added without going into detail.

A senior lawyer, who was part of the Sharifs’ legal team in the past, said no one could bind a foreigner to record a statement under the law. However, the top court has already asked the JIT to disregard the Qatari prince’s letter if he does not appear in person before the panel.

“The respondents [Sharif family] will have to face consequences if the prince fails to appear before the JIT,” the apex court’s three-judge bench had recently observed.

Meanwhile, sources said the JIT is considering summoning Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Finance Minister Ishaq Dar in the coming weeks.

According to a source, the SC administration has taken special security measures for safe custody of the record related to investigation in the Panamagate case. A camera has been installed at the record room of the Registrar Office, which no is authorised to visit, except for the registrar.

Sharif family's lawyer tells them to stick to one lie

The sources further revealed that the PML-N leadership has heeded to the advice of its legal wizards that the Sharif family should adopt a uniform stance before the JIT in order to avoid any kind of contradictions in a bid to strengthen their case.

“PM’s sons and cousin have appeared before the JIT. Hussain Nawaz appeared before the panel five times, Hassan Nawaz twice and Tariq Shafi once. They have been interrogated in detail. Their stance should not be in contradiction with that of Mian Sahib when he appears before the inquiry panel and answers questions related to offshore properties,” said a PML-N lawmaker, requesting anonymity.

“The versions of all the Sharif family members recorded or to be recorded before the JIT need to complement each other. This is the only way to give credence to our defence in the inquiry. Any contradictions, anomalies or discrepancies are going to cost us dearly,” the source said, adding that the PM and the Punjab CM would review in detail the statements of the Sharif family members to be made before the JIT today (Sunday).

https://tribune.com.pk/story/143254...e-nawaz-top-aides-brainstorm-future-strategy/

This is why everyone sane wanted Nawaz Sharif to resign before this investigation started. Panamagate JIT tells SC that government departments are tampering with records to help Sharifs.

ISLAMABAD:
The joint investigation team (JIT) probing the ruling family’s offshore wealth has alleged that the records related to the Panama Papers case were being tampered with by some government departments to assist the Sharifs.

“The JIT has alleged that certain institutions are altering records. Even forgery has been carried out,” remarked Supreme Court judge Justice Ijazul Ahsen on Monday. “There are serious allegations levelled by the JIT in its application.”

The remarks were made after the three-judge bench of the apex court went through an application filed by the investigation body, highlighting impediments being faced by its members during its probe.

Another judge, Justice Azmat Saeed Shaikh, observed that there would be far-reaching consequences in case of forgery. “You are representing the federation, not the government,” the judge told Additional Attorney General Waqar Rana.
The top court directed Rana to submit a reply on the JIT’s application.

Earlier, Khawaja Haris, the counsel for Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s son Hussain Nawaz, appeared before the bench to take up the issue of his client’s photo interrogation being leaked and request a ban on the video recording of witnesses during their questioning.

The bench, however, told him that the JIT had submitted an inquiry report on the picture leak that would also be forwarded to the AGP and he could share it with the counsel. Later, the hearing of the case was adjourned till Wednesday.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/143336...records-help-sharifs-panamagate-jit-tells-sc/

Obstruction of justice being committed on a grand scale according to the leaked JIT report.

ISLAMABAD: The Joint Investigation Team set up by the Supreme Court of Pakistan to probe the offshore business dealings of the ruling family has leveled serious allegations against state institutions including the Intelligence Bureau, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan, National Accountability Bureau, Federal Board of Revenue and the law ministry.

The report said the officials of Intelligence Bureau intimidated Bilal Rasool, a member of the JIT, and hacked facebook accounts of his family members.

It said the JIT sought records of all inquiries held against Chaudhry Sugar Mills and Sharif Family, but the SECP denied any inquiry was held against Sharif family, with its chairman stopping his institution from searching the records of inquiries.

“Record of Chaudhry Sugar Mills was tempered at the behest of SECP chairman and Executive Director Ali Azeem changed it from past dates”

According to the JIT report Azeem was also nominated by the SECP chairman for inclusion in the JIT as its member to sabotage investigations," it noted.

The report said the law ministry caused five-day delay in responding to its letter that was written in order to carry out investigation abroad.

It accused NAB of exerting pressure on JIT member, Irfan Mangi by issuing him a show cause notice on April 25, for his deputation in the country’s anti-corruption watchdog.

The panel said in its report to the Supreme Court that the FBR provided record of Shairf family from last five year when it was asked to provide record since 1985.

It accused the government of of leaking details of JIT correspondence with institutions.

The JIT report said Tariq Shafi was asked by the chairman of Ittefaq Group to visit Prime Minister House prior to his appearance before the JIT.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/2...egations-against-IB-NAB-SECP-FBR-law-ministry

All records they are asking from institutions is either being tampered with or not being provided, Intelligence Bureau officials are sent to patrol the houses of one of the JIT members.

Absolutely sickening what is happening right now.

A complete summary of the 100+ page report, the attorney general is supposed to respond to this on Wednesday.

The joint investigation team (JIT) probing allegations of money laundering against the Sharif family has made startling allegations accusing government institutions and departments of tampering records, creating obstacles in the probe and even threatening members of the six-member team.

In a damning application filed with the apex court earlier this week, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, the JIT informed the Supreme Court about the various challenges they have been facing in concluding the investigation within the stipulated two-month timeframe.

SECP 'tampered' record

Led by Federal Investi­gation Agency (FIA) Additional Director Gen­eral Wajid Zia, the JIT alleged in its application that Chairman Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) Zafarul Haq Hijazi "was instrumental in closing the investigation of money laundering case launched against Chaudhry Sugar Mills Limited", which is owned by the Sharif family, in 2016.

"This act of backdated closure of investigation... is a criminal act, with a view to facilitate the Respondents (the Sharif family) against whom the present investigation in being conducted," it said.

It said the SECP chairman's orders to tamper the record and close investigation against Chaudhry Sugar Mills Limited were executed by SECP Executive Director Ali Azeem Ikram, who was incidentally nominated initially by the chairman to be a member of the present JIT "with a clear intent to subvert the investigation of the JIT".

The application further accuses the SECP of restricting its own officers from inquiring about the requests handed to them by the JIT.

The JIT said it had asked the SECP to provide any documents pertaining to investigations carried out regarding Chaudhry Sugar Mills or any other company related to the Sharif family. However, an SECP officer ─ whose name was withheld for security reasons ─ claimed that the SECP chairman did not allow him to check from all concerned departments of the SECP and confirm whether there were other inquiries against companies owned by the Sharif family.

IB 'facilitated' hacking of JIT member's Facebook

The JIT application also questioned the role of Intelligence Bureau (IB), which works under the federal government, during the course of the investigation.

It said the application filed by Hussain Nawaz to the SC, in which he had raised objections against two JIT members — Bilal Rasul of the SECP and Amer Aziz of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) — was accompanied with CNICs of Rasul and Mian Azhar. These CNIC copies bear the requisitioning number printed by National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) for identification of the institution/intelligence agency which seeks such documents for official purposes.

"Upon further checking, it has been revealed that the requisition was made by the IB from Nadra and the same was provided to [Hussain Nawaz]".

In another shocking allegation, the JIT said Hussain's application contained copies of screenshots from the social media account of Bilal Rasul and his family.

"The Facebook account of Mr. Bilal Rasul, which is also used by his wife/family, was ostensibly hacked to retireve the contents attached [with the application]... without the consent of Mr. Bilal Rasul or his family," it alleged.

This was done, read the application, "ostensibly through the facilitation of the IB".

It further said the field staff of IB were "found loitering" near the house of one of the JIT members on May 24. These officials later "adversely questioned" the house keeper of the JIT member, causing fear amongst his family members.

NAB strategy to 'harass' JIT member

The National Accountability Bureau is employing an underhand strategy to overawe one JIT member, Director General NAB Balochistan Irfan Naeem Mangi, the application alleges.

Mangi has received a show cause notice dated April 25, 2017 by NAB in relation to the "relevancy of his experience at the time of his induction [in the bureau], back in 2004".

When Mangi requested NAB authorities to allow him some extra time to respond to the notice as he was occupied with the JIT investigation, the anti-graft body sent him a letter dated May 31, 2017, directing him to submit his reply within 15 days "failing which an ex-parte decision would be taken against him".

The JIT said the show cause by NAB is likely to distract Mangi in his performance as a JIT investigator and overawe him so that he is harassed.

'Intentional tampering' by state institutions

Citing the delay in the issuance of the notification which would have notified member countries of the UN Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) of the authorisation of the JIT head, the application noted that this was proof enough that "the government machinery is being used so as to attempt to frustrate the proceedings of the JIT".

The notification in mention was particularly important as it would have enabled the JIT to undertake Mutual League Assistance (MLA) in acquiring or certifying documents from foreign countries.

Laying the blame straight on the government, the JIT application reads: "The matter was intentionally lingered at the behest of [the] Ministry of Law and Justice."

The application goes on to blame the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) for alleged concealment of documents when asked to present the income and wealth tax records and tax returns of the Sharif family from 1985 till date.

The literature states: "The FBR has not taken the plea that it is only required to maintain tax records for five years", while it has offered only "piecemeal, incomplete and selective" records from 1985 till date.

"No plausible explanation has been given as to why a truncated set of records is being given," the application continues.

The application also alleges that confidential correspondence is being "consciously leaked" to the media in an effort to undermine and scandalise the investigation.

Witnesses being 'tutored'

Claims of witness tampering were also levelled against the Sharifs as the JIT alleged that the CEO of the Ittefaq Group, Haroon Pasha, had asked witness Tariq Shafi to come to the Prime Minister House where he was instructed by Pasha to offer statements before the JIT as directed to him at the PM House.

The witness in mention corroborated the facts before the JIT in subsequent sessions, the appication said.

"The Prime Minister's House and its sanctity is being undermined so as to coercively influence witnesses," it read.

The document submitted to the Supreme Court also reveals the JIT's displeasure at the leak which resulted in the summon letter issued to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif being distributed to select media outlets.

"It may be noted that the leak of 'confidential' letter/information is a crime in itself," the application stated as it went on to highlight how the release of such sensitive information could "accentuate security at the time of the appearance of witnesses before the JIT".

JIT members being threatened

Without naming ex-PML-N leader Nehal Hashmi, the JIT criticised the senator for his fiery remarks allegedly against the team members, claiming that Hashmi "explicitly and vociferously intimidated the JIT".

It also noted that JIT members are being likened to "qasai (butcher)" and "James Bond" as a form of menacing the proceedings, while some elements have issued threats such as "the JIT itself is asking to be attacked".

The document points out that one of the JIT members is frequently quoted as being the son of General Aziz, which is "factually incorrect and is a source of discomfort for his aging father".

Prayer to the court

Concluding the long list of stringent allegations, the application requests the Supreme Court to take action against officials from the concerned departments and against those who "unfairly publicly comment in the media in relation to the JIT and this honourable court".

The application urges the SC to pass "corrective orders so that the government machinery is not permitted to be misused".

It also seeks the issuance of orders which will ensure the security of witnesses, members of the JIT, their families, while also securing the jobs and tenures of the JIT members and the witnesses.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1339300/p...ations-against-govt-seeks-strict-court-action

Video recording does not change legal value of witness statement: SC

A three-member bench of the Supreme Court on Wednesday reserved its decision regarding a petition filed by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's son, Hussain Nawaz, seeking the formation of a commission to investigate a photo 'leak' from his appearance before the joint investigation team (JIT) probing allegations of money laundering against the Sharif family.

Hussain Nawaz's lawyer Khawaja Haris while presenting his arguments against the use of video cameras during JIT proceedings said that the law did not allow for video recording which, he maintained, was of no legal value.

Haris warned the court of the possibility of video being leaked in the future which, he said, would have much greater consequences. "Who will be responsible if the prime minister’s video is released on social media tomorrow?" Haris asked.

Hussain's counsel claimed that the video recording was being used to add undue pressure on witnesses. "What is the need for it when it cannot be used as evidence?" he asked.

"I am discussing the psychological aspects of video recording," Haris said, adding that the witness is engulfed in fear during video recordings.

He claimed that witnesses were being pressured to change their statements.

Justice Ejaz Afzal said that the video recording does not change the legal value of the statement. "It is only used to determine the correct context of the statement," he asserted, maintaining that the rights of witnesses remain unaffected.

To this, Haris said that correct statements had been recorded even before the introduction of video technology.

"We are not living in 1889," Justice Afzal responded, adding that the use of technology was 'no big deal'.

Haris argued that the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) Article 161 allows for verbal investigation which can be written whenever required. A record of the written statement can be kept separately, he added.

Rejecting these arguments, Justice Ejaz Afzal said that a statement recorded under Article 161 is not admissible as evidence and is only used when there are two contradicting statements.

Article 161 of the CrpC, pertaining to the examination of witnesses by police, states that the officer may write any statements made to him during the course of a probe and in doing so, will make a separate record of the statements of each person whose statements are recorded.

Hussain's counsel argued that a video recording is tantamount to making a witness sign a statement.

"Since a witness cannot be made to forcibly sign a statement, a video recording would be against the law," he said, adding that the court could not issue an order that was against the law.

Haris pointed out that the JIT had conceded that a team member had 'leaked' the photo which meant, he claimed, that they had no control over the CCTV cameras.

During an earlier hearing, the JIT had rejected all allegations against the photo 'leak', but also told the SC that punitive action has been taken against one individual suspected of involvement in the incident.

"How can the JIT be the judge of its own actions?" Haris questioned, referring to the JIT's action against its team member.

Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf Ali seconded Haris’s point of view, saying that the court could not create space for new rules in existing laws on its own.

Continuing his arguments, Haris stated that the JIT is bound by a criminal code, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Ordinance 1999 and the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Act 1975 under the court's authority.

It could, therefore, not proceed according to its own rules and would have to follow the procedures already laid out, Haris argued.

Video recording does not affect the rights of the witness and should continue, Justice Afzal maintained.

The judge asked the attorney general to look into the JIT's allegations in detail, adding that the court would not tolerate hurdles in the JIT's proceedings. He warned that obstruction of the probe amounted to going against court orders.

Justice Azmat Saeed Sheikh added that the JIT's allegations were serious andforcibly sign the statement, a video recording would be against the law, could not be ignored.

The court, however, reserved its judgement on the case until tomorrow.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1339488/v...ot-change-legal-value-of-witness-statement-sc

PM Nawaz appeared before the JIT today, his body language looked rattled when he walked out of the Judicial Academy and read a speech which had been prepared beforehand.

Addressing the media after his appearance before the inquiry team, the PM said he has accounted for every penny today. ”I have just presented my stance before the JIT," he told reporters outside the Federal Judicial Academy.

Interrogation

According to sources, PM Nawaz was asked the following questions by the JIT:

1. Different positions he has taken with reference to London properties and the source of funding for the purchases

2. His role in Hudaybia Paper Mills, and documents to show until when he was a part of the board of directors or managements of other family businesses

3. His knowledge of the funds transferred through and into the accounts mentioned in Ishaq Dar's affidavit

4. The role he played in his sons' businesses and whether or not he provided or received any financial help to or from them

5. Sources of income

6. His knowledge of the sale of Gulf Steel and an explanation of his statement before Parliament on the issue of the steel mill in Jeddah

The premier upheld that all sources of his assets were already submitted to relevant authorities. ”Today is a historic day for Pakistan's judiciary. My whole family and I have presented ourselves for accountability."

”Is there any family in Pakistan that has appeared for accountability other than mine," he asked. ”My personal businesses have nothing to do with federal treasury. And no matter how many conspiracies my rivals are hatching, they will not be successful."

A confident premier added: ”We are going to emerge successfully not only from this test of time but also in the next general elections with a more overwhelming majority and people's support."

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1436106/pm-nawaz-appears-jit-probing-panamagarte/

PM Nawaz Sharif made to wait half an hour; forced to answer tough questions in front of JIT.

ISLAMABAD: The ruling party Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) on Thursday decided to adopt an aggressive strategy against the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing the cases related to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his family members.

Sources privy to the details of the meeting chaired by the prime minister soon after his appearance at the Prime Minister's House said that the PM looked confident but narrated an ordeal he had to face at the JIT hearing.

A source said that the prime minister told his colleagues that he had to wait for almost half an hour after arriving at the Judicial Complex, despite the fact that the JIT had already been informed about the schedule of the prime minister.

”The prime minister looked a bit concerned after the JIT appearance. He feels as if the JIT, rather than probing the case, looks more inclined to ridicule the elected prime minister of the country," the source said.

The source said that the JIT was repeating almost same questions raised against the prime minister and his family by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders and other media outlets.

”The questions asked from the prime minister and his family have been almost identical and have no relation directly about the Panama Leaks case," the source said.

The source said that the meeting concluded that it seems as if the JIT wanted to damage the ruling family politically; hence, the federal government had decided to deal with the matter politically too.

Asked whether the prime minister had handed over necessary evidence to the JIT, the source said that all related documents had already been shared with the investigation team.

”The ruling family has already shared the relevant record with the JIT. The prime minister also shared some documents. But the legal team of the prime minister believes it's not about the case; rather the investigation is being designed to deal a major political blow to the government. We would not allow this to happen. From now onwards, you will see a clear change in our strategy," the source added.

Top PML-N leaders, cabinet ministers, legal aides of the ruling family and some close family members attended the meeting.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/06/15/pml-n-to-alter-its-strategy-on-dealing-with-jit/

Nawaz was Nervous After JIT appearance – Body Language Experts

Body language experts Dr. Sara and Dr. Wajahat believe that Nawaz Sharif was visibly nervous after he came out to address media personnel from the Judicial Academy.

Both experts noted how the premier kept on clearing his throat frequently and his face also showed signs of fatigue.

Nawaz also did not answer any questions about the reports which according to the body language experts, was not a positive sign as well.

The experts were of the view that the body language of the PM Nawaz showed that he was asked tough questions by the Joint Investigation Team.

https://www.pakistantribe.com/62475/nawaz-nervous-jit-appearance-body-language-experts

JIT officials to leave for Doha to probe Qatari letter

ISLAMABAD: Two members of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) for Panama probe will leave for Doha to verify the letter from Qatari Prince referring to the business ties with the Sharif family.

JIT head Wajid Zia has contacted the Supreme Court's Registrar Office and awaits the approval from Panama case implementation bench. According to the recommendation, two JIT members will visit Doha to investigate the Qatari letter.

The Qatari Prince Hamad bin Jasim Al-Thani had asked the Panama probe JIT to arrive in Qatar in order to record his statements about the financial details with the premier's family.

Qatari Prince had earlier refused to appear before JIT and visit Pakistan due to certain concerns. He had agreed to record statement if the investigation team visits the Gulf country.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/features/15-Jun-17/jit-officials-to-leave-for-doha-to-probe-qatari-letter

Brother of Nawaz Sharif testifies for over 3 hours.

ISLAMABAD:
Chief Minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif on Saturday said that his and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s appearances before the Panamagate Joint Investigation Team (JIT) show that they have trust in the rule of law.

The younger Sharif spent more than three and a half hours testifying before the JIT, according to him, as someone acquainted with facts of Panamagate case.

Shehbaz arrived well on time at the Federal Judicial Academy, the JIT’s temporary secretariat, amid heightened security arrangements, matching those done at the time of the prime minister’s appearance before the probe team on June 15.

Interestingly, Shehbaz’s testimony matched facts earlier stated by his family members about their businesses. He asserted that their business was destroyed by various dictatorial regimes and that the nature of allegations and ‘conspiracy’ currently the Sharif family had been facing were not new. However, he did not accuse any state institution of destabilising democracy, as had been maintained by the elder Sharif.

Shehbaz only answered two questions from media-persons present there. He got agitated when a reporter asked him about his family and its wealth, and left the venue without taking any other question.

“I have recorded my statement and answered all questions to the best of my knowledge,” he told the media-persons.

“It is a historic occasion … that an elected serving PM and CM [have] appeared before the JIT. We have served the cause of rule of law by appearing before the probe team,” he said.

According to Shehbaz, his family’s appearance also demonstrated contradictory behaviour of democratically-elected politicians and military dictators in terms of respecting the judiciary.

“I have been suffering from backbone problem for a long time, but I did not use it as an excuse. I did not take refuge in any hospital nor did I announce visiting my physician in London,” he said, in an apparent reference to Gen (retd) Pervez Mushrraf.

“The Sharif family is not facing [such] investigations for the first time,” he said, while recalling January 2, 1972 when then government had nationalised his family’s business, Ittefaq Foundary.

When a reporter quipped that even children of the Sharif family were billionaires, he got infuriated and said: “Don’t distort facts. When Bhuttos and Musharraf destroyed our businesses, was not that plunder?”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1437838/punjab-cm-shehbaz-sharif-arrives-judicial-academy/

Intelligence Bureau admits to spying on JIT members.

ISLAMABAD:
Intelligence Bureau (IB) chief Aftab Sultan has confirmed that information on members of the joint investigation team (JIT) – tasked with investigating the Sharif family’s offshore properties – were gathered because of the high-profile nature of the Panama Papers case.

In a two-page letter submitted to the top court on Saturday, Sultan said how the low-downs were leaked was a matter of political concern, and the issue was already under investigation.

As a regular practice, Sultan said, the department collects low-downs of government officials and other subjects of interest on important positions.

In its response on Friday, the IB had denied allegations of hacking of the Facebook accounts of JIT member Bilal Rasool or his family.

“Low-down on a member of the JIT were done under the standard operating procedures. Thus, the allegations levelled against the IB were vehemently denied,” it said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1437986/ib-chief-admits-collecting-low-downs-jit-members/

Former FIA official wants to testify before JIT and has suitcases full of evidence.

ISLAMABAD: It appears that Asif Ali Zardari has finally decided to go for the kill against the Sharif family.

In his considered view the appearance and testimony of Senator Rehman Malik, due to be presented in the JIT on June 23, will be the final nail in the Panama coffin.

But in his latest meeting with Mr Malik in London a few days back, Zardari was a little apprehensive, as Malik had told a TV channel that his report on Hudaibiya was ”not an FIA document but his personal property." Could Malik bypass him for obtaining immunity, a NRO for himself, Zardari wondered.

PPP circles say Zardari was thinking that if he could get Nawaz disqualified now, Imran Khan would be easy to handle and he could even become the next prime minister. He had earlier indicated he may contest election for an MNA seat.

So in this setting when the JIT summoned Rehman Malik and set the date of June 23, Zardari reluctantly agreed and ostensibly Bilawal endorsed it too.

Lady luck, however, appears to be favouring Zardari and not very happy with the Sharifs. An antidote of any tricks Mr Rehman Malik may be considering is now available.

A surprise, apparently credible, witness in London has surfaced, who says he is the real author and investigator of the FIA report, which Rehman Malik claims to be his property.

The witness is ready to travel to Islamabad and testify before the JIT, if he was provided full security.

This new star is the then Deputy Director of Economic Crimes and Special Investigations in FIA, when Mr Rehman Malik was the Administrator at the time the Hudaibiya Report was written.

Mr Inamur Rehman Sehri, who spoke to this correspondent from his London home on Friday morning, says he personally dug out all the material on the Sharifs, though working as deputy of Rehman Malik, who never did anything himself but collected the data and documents and put them in an ”official" FIA report and put his name to it.

Sehri says he still has suitcases full of these documents and many more and he can bring everything to Islamabad just in case Mr Rehman Malik disowns any document or tries to play games.

Sehri told this correspondent that because of his anti-Sharif investigations, the Nawaz government fired him from service in 1997 and he had to shift to London for safety and to keep his family kitchen running.

But he has kept all the documents for the ultimate day of reckoning, which he says appears to have come now.

When I spoke to Sehri, he was confident and said: ”I am a Pakistani and want to play my role for the country."

Rehman Malik was wrongly saying that the Hudaibiya report was not an FIA document, he says. ”This is a mystery and I can solve it," he adds but he is genuinely worried that if the Sharifs know that he was coming with suitcases full of papers, he may face a genuine security threat.

So it is now for the JIT and the Supreme Court to not only summon him but also ensure that he gets proper blanket security —- from his aircraft on arrival in Islamabad to his flight back to London.

PPP sources say Asif Ali Zardari is also aware of Sehri's presence and potential and has quietly agreed that he should appear before the JIT, either with Rehman Malik or later, as the JIT may decide. He thinks his presence and corroboration will keep Rehman Malik within his limits.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/pakistan/17-Jun-17/as-rehman-malik-heads-for-jit-what-is-zardari-doing

After this news was published his son who still lives in Pakistan was threatened.

SC warns IB against harassing members of Panamagate JIT

ISLAMABAD:
The Supreme Court (SC) has raised serious questions over the conduct of Intelligence Bureau (IB) in the ongoing Panamagate case probe by a joint investigation team (JIT) into the Sharif family’s offshore wealth.

A three-judge implementation bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, warned the civilian intelligence agency against harassing the JIT members, investigating the allegations of corruption against the ruling family in line with the top court’s historic April 20 verdict in the Panama Papers case.

“Harassment of JIT members must be stopped forthwith, otherwise we will have to pass unpleasant orders,” remarked Justice Ijazul Ahsen. The judge asked Attorney General of Pakistan (AGP) Ashtar Ausaf Ali to tell government officials to “remain in limits”.

Another judge, Justice Azmat Saeed Sheikh, asked the AGP to tell the IB officials to immediately stop harassing members of the probe body. “Advise your government not to create obstructions in the operation of the JIT and don’t force us to pass any order,” Justice Sheikh said. “For god’s sake, don’t use IB in this matter.”

The judge went on to ask whether the agency was working for private individuals or the state of Pakistan. He observed the IB committed a crime by passing on the information of JIT members to a private person (Hussain Nawaz).

The bench sought legal assistance from AGP regarding IB’s role in the Panamagate proceedings. Justice Khan asked the AGP to inform the court what should be done about the agency’s role in the case.

The top court bench also directed the head of Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to launch an inquiry over the JIT allegations of forgery by Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) in the records of companies owned by the Sharifs.

IB chief Aftab Sultan last week confirmed that information on JIT members was gathered because of the high-profile nature of the Panama Papers case. In a two-page letter submitted to the top court on June 17, Sultan said how the low-downs were leaked was a matter of political concern, and the issue was already under investigation. In its earlier response, the IB had denied allegations of hacking of the Facebook accounts of JIT member Bilal Rasool or his family.

The hearing of case is adjourned till Tuesday.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1439468/sc-warns-ib-harassing-members-panamagate-jit/

Dismissed: SC rejects Hussain’s picture leak plea

ISLAMABAD:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday decided against entertaining a request from Prime Minister’s son Hussian Nawaz for an independent commission to probe the issue of his photograph being leaked on social media.

The three-judge special bench of the apex court also rejected Hussain’s plea against video recording of witnesses by the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) tasked with probing the Sharif family’s offshore wealth.

The bench, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, while announcing the order, observed that “audio or video recording cannot be admitted into evidence for the proof of statement(s) till the law is amended”.

However, a member of the Sharif family’s legal team, expressing serious concern over the court order, said: “The bench [is] contradicting itself and committing mistakes again and again only because it has already decided that [the] JIT cannot do wrong.”

Justice Ejaz, who authored the five-page order, says in any case, use of video or audio to facilitate the recording of statement is not prohibited under the law. “Likewise, it is not prohibited when the finished product, to be used in the court to confront the witness, is the statement reduced to writing and not its audio or video recording.”

“Since the statement so transcripted or reduced to writing cannot enlarge its scope or its probative worth it could possibly have on its proof, the concerns voiced by the applicant [Hussain Nawaz] being paranoiac appear to be more of form rather than substance,” says the order.

The court order says in this computer age where almost everything is communicated and even business of every type is transacted online, emphasis on the form of doing a thing as it used to be done in 1898 would amount to putting at naught the dynamics of scientific and technological advancements which have not only liberated man from exhausting labour but also made things easier.

“Law in many countries of the East and the West has been changed and even re-enacted. Addition of the word ‘truly’ in Sub-Section 2 after the word ‘answer’ and insertion of the proviso to Sub-Section 3 of Section 161 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 of India, providing for recording of such statement by audio-video electronic means is an illuminating example on the subject.”

The bench admitted that audio or video recording cannot be admitted into evidence for the proof of such statement till the law is amended “as it has been amended in India and other countries, but its use to facilitate recording of such statement cannot be discouraged on the basis of so pedantic an interpretation as sections 161 and 162 of the CrPC”.

Expressing its concern over the “government-run media campaign” against the judiciary and the JIT, the bench once again warned the government functionaries against going to the media.

“Instead of submitting their concerns in the court, why are government functionaries getting articles and news stories published?” asked Justice Azmat Saeed Sheikh.

He also asked the AGP that if the government functionaries wanted to convey their concerns through news reports, then the court did not need him.

Justice Azmat also said that heavy responsibility rested on the government to show restraint before pointing fingers. “Don’t force our hand,” he added.

“Media circus and media trial should be stopped,” Justice Ijaz-ul-Ahsan told the AGP. The judge lamented that the government itself was providing material to the media who could not be blamed for publishing it.

Justice Ijaz also asked the AGP to tell the “self-appointed government spokespersons” to show restraint while issuing statements. However, Justice Ejaz made it clear that speeches made by politicians and news reports could not change their mind.

“Let them say whatever they want as we are not scared,” he added.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1440215/sc-rejects-hussain-nawazs-plea-stop-recording-jit-proceedings/

FBR not providing Sharifs’ wealth record, JIT tells SC

ISLAMABAD:
The Joint Investigation Team (JIT), tasked to probe the Sharif family’s assets, has informed the Supreme Court (SC) that the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) is not providing complete wealth record of the ruling family.

During Thursday’s hearing of the Panamagate case by a three-judge implementation bench of the apex court headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, JIT head Wajid Zia said the probe body wrote three letters to the revenue board, asking whether the record was not submitted by the Sharifs or if it was stolen from the FBR office, but no reply was received.

Expressing serious concern and indignation, the top court bench observed that it was a clear case of defiance shown by the institution. “Does this mean the record has been stolen?” asked Justice Ijazul Ahsan, observing that the court may summon FBR head if record was not provided.

Another member of the bench, Justice Azmat Saeed Sheikh, observed that the ‘foot-dragging’ would not go in favour of the ruling family.

“No foot dragging. We are at the last scratch of the investigation. Our patience is running out,” Justice Azmat asked the AGP.

The bench went on to ask the JIT head to submit a complete list of documents which are not being provided by the FBR. However, Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP) Ashtar Ausaf Ali assured the bench that the available record would soon be provided to the JIT.

Meanwhile, in response to an inquiry made by the bench members, Zia said the investigative body did not reveal the name of the person who leaked Hussain Nawaz’s picture during interrogation for security reasons.

Upon this, the bench asked the AGP to submit a written response on behalf of the government to ascertain whether it had any reservation on the disclosure of the suspect’s identity. “The AGP has better sense of security concerns and if he does not have an objection on the disclosure of the person’s name then the JIT should have no issue,” Justice Khan remarked.

The bench further directed the JIT to submit its final investigation report on July 10.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/144179...providing-sharifs-wealth-record-jit-tells-sc/

PM's son-in-law appears in front of JIT today.

ISLAMABAD – The six-member Joint Investigation Team tasked to probe offshore assets of the Sharif family concluded its first session with PM’s son-in-law Captain Safdar here on Saturday.

The JIT had summoned Captain (retd) Safdar at 11 am today and interrogated him for five hours as the proceedings are heading towards completion.

Talking to newsmen after the appearance, Captain Safdar said he would not disclose what took place during his appearance before the JIT as the matter was pending in court.

“We stand for the protection of the 1973 constitution,” he affirmed.

He claimed that the Panama case was not against Nawaz Sharif but against a leader that made Pakistan a nuclear power, the one who made motorways and took Pakistan away from darkness.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/headline/capt-r-safdar-to-appear-before-panama-jit-today/

Nawaz Sharif gives a media talk in London, He knows his days are numbered.

Shortly after reaching London, while addressing the media, he criticised the Panama’s Joint Investigation Team and questioned the creation of such a team.

He said, “I asked the JIT, what was it trying to find as the Panama proceedings elude me”, and claimed that the JIT members could not answer his questions

“I asked the JIT whether the national kitty was being looted, as the JIT proceedings are revolving around our [Sharifs] private businesses only.”

He said, “In 1972 our factory was nationalised,” which Sharif compared to being robbed and said, “We should be asking questions instead of answering them.”

He said, “I don’t care for my wellbeing or my family’s as I have presented myself and my family for accountability.”

PM Nawaz said that during the tenure of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Pakistan’s economy has been stabilised but the frequent opposition sit-ins are hurting it with no regard for the country.

In the by-elections, 95 per cent success belonged to the PML-N. Calling JIT a farce, he said, the country’s time is being wasted in such proceedings.

He said the JIT’s history is in front of everyone; it is distracting the public from the real issues.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/06/24/pm-addresses-media-in-london-questions-jits-existence/

Nawaz Sharif's cousin summoned again. It's going to be an interesting interrogation given how Tariq Shafi has publicly blamed the JIT for forcibly extracting an investigation out of him.

ISLAMABAD – The joint investigation team (JIT), constituted by the Supreme Court to probe businesses and financial dealings of Sharif family, has once again summoned Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s cousin to appear before it.

The investigation team issued summons to the PM’s cousin, Tariq Shafi, to appear before it at 12 noon on July 2. The summons, signed by National Accountability Bureau (NAB) member of the JIT Irfan Mangi, were issued on June 23, Geo News has reported here on Monday.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakistan/panama-case-jit-again-summons-pms-cousin-on-july-2/

JIT summons Maryam Nawaz: the De facto successor of Nawaz Sharif and propaganda master for the ruling party.

A six-member Joint Investigation Team (JIT), probing the Sharif family’s offshore assets in line with Supreme Court’s April 20 verdict in Panamagate case, has summoned Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s daughter Maryam Nawaz for questioning on July 5.

According to Express News, the summon was issued to the primer’s daughter on June 25, directing her to appear at the Federal Judicial Academy, Islamabad at 11am on Wednesday next week.

Meanwhile, the probe body has also summoned prime minister’s sons Hassan Nawaz and Hussain Nawaz on July 4 and 5, respectively. This will be Hassan’s third appearance before the probe body and Hussain’s sixth who has already shown up for five times at the federal judicial complex. Hassan first appeared before the probe team on June 2 while Hussain had first appeared before the JIT on May 28.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1445098/panamagate-jit-summons-maryam-nawaz-july-5/

SECP chairman manipulated record of Chaudhry Sugar Mills money laundering investigation after Panama Leaks surfaced in 2016 and shut down the investigation at the behest of Sharif family.

Sources in the FIA and SECP said that the team's first order of business was to meet Muzzafar Ahmed Mirza, the commission's chief prosecutor and head of its Prosecution and Legal Affairs Division.

Mr Muzzafar was asked to remain available during the holidays and ensure that officials of the law department were present, along with all the relevant records.

An FIA official Dawn the FIA team started its work on the same day as it was notified not only to save time, but also to maintain secrecy and avoid any hindrance in the investigations, referring to SECP Chairman Zafar Hijazi.

The accusation of record-tampering was levelled against incumbent Mr Hijazi, as it was alleged that he closed an inquiry of money laundering by Chaudhry Sugar Mills — owned by the Sharif family — with retroactive effect.

”The FIA officials came prepared and knew where to start. Within minutes of taking charge, Mr Arsalan, deputy director of the Enforcement Department, was called to answer some questions," the official said. His interview lasted for more than four hours.

In its response to the JIT's allegations, submitted to the Supreme Court, the SECP maintained that investigations against Chaudhry Sugar Mills were completed in 2013, before the incumbent government came to power.

But a startling revelation was made by Maheen Fatima, the current director of the Internal Audit and Compliance Department, before the JIT and the FIA team — that she had initiated investigations against Chaudhry Sugar Mills in 2011, but the case was closed in 2016

In her statement to the JIT, which was also repeated in front of the FIA team, Ms Fatima claimed that the investigation into money laundering by Chaudhry Sugar Mills was dumped in March 2013, at the time of the elections.

In view of these contradictory statements, sources said that those examined by the FIA team included Abid Hussain, who was heading the Enforcement Directorate in 2011 and is currently the executive director of the Corporate Supervision Department in the SECP's Company Law division.

In addition, then acting SECP chairman Tahir Mahmood — who is currently working as commissioner of the Company Law Division — was also asked if the investigations against Chaudhry Sugar Mills were finalised in 2013 or not.

Another officer, Ali Azeem, who was executive director in 2016, told the FIA team that the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case was closed in 2013 and referred to the official statement submitted by the SECP to the Supreme Court.

But sources in FIA said that it was clear from the statements that after Mr Hijazi took over as the chairman in Dec 2014, he reshuffled executives in the commission and closed the sugar mills inquiry after the Panama Papers case surfaced.

This has made the SECP a divided house, since those related to the Enforcement Department maintain that the case was closed in 2016, while the official stance of the commission is that the case was closed in 2013.

The FIA team is expected to finalise and submit its report to the JIT on June 30 or July 1, 2017.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1342029/fia-goes-ahead-with-secp-probe-at-brisk-pace

A nice summary of how the Sharifs screwed their own case.

The ruling party of Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has invested hugely in manipulating public perceptions in their favour through the media. The Sharif brothers have been at the heart of allegations to have even maneuvered results of public surveys to their political advantage whenever they felt that their government was under threat from the military establishment in the past, or more particularly after adverse court proceedings started against them in November last year on charges of illegally transferring millions of dollars abroad to setup offshore companies to do dubious business.

The ruling family's detractors have their own cogent reasons to point out that Sharif brothers generally leave little trace of evidence behind their wheeling and dealings as they do everything possible under the sun through ”technically sound legal cover". However, following the adverse court ruling on April 20 and subsequent investigation against them from May this year onwards, it appears that divine law has been turning against them. Their past modus operandi to make holes into the national kitty is getting exposed day by day through ongoing investigations they first tried to obstruct by presiding over the state institutions which were supposed to probe their wrongdoings.

Constitutional provisions on Honesty and their implications on PM

The famous articles of the constitution 62 and 63 go in tandem with the Accountability Ordinance. These constitutional articles are shortcut legal routes to disqualify any member of the Parliament if he is found lying to the nation. This means that if the Supreme Court finds glaring contradictions by the Prime Minister in the process of proving himself innocent on the charges of money laundering it can straight away disqualify him from holding any public office for five years. Two judges have already disqualified him on similar grounds while even if one among the other three judges decides so, Prime Minister would be sent packing home.

Legal tricks in timeline of buying Overseas Properties

Over the course of the past eight months of court proceedings and investigation into the Panama Papers scandal, the entire burden of proof has virtually fallen upon Nawaz Sharif to prove his innocence. The reason is that he held the office of the Prime Minister three times and his children were apparently dependent on him when expensive properties were bought in London through two Panama based off-shore companies Nielsen and Nescoll from 1993 to 1995.

However, the Prime Minister and his family seem to have made up facts of their own to counter the charge-sheet that he owned luxury flats in London in early 1990s by illegally transferring money from Pakistan. These properties, as per the defense line of the ruling family, were purchased after 2006. Obviously it was an attempt to prove that his children were grown up and independent legally in 2006 to do their business and hence he is not linked with their wrong doings.
That is why in the Supreme Court proceedings and during the course of subsequent investigations, both sons Hassan and Hussain disowned their father (Prime Minister) and so did the father. Nonetheless this has not worked.

How the Ruling Family's Strategy to Frustrate Accountability Law is Failing

The major component of the strategy of the ruling Muslim League has been to use ”technical legal grounds" to prevent the Joint investigating team and the Supreme Court to convict Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on money laundering charges. This strategy is not working given the sheer amount of glaring contradictions and failure of the ruling family to come up with plausible evidence to defend the charges of money laundering and lying to the nation by concealing his and his family's mega business empire abroad through offshore companies. The ruling family made mistakes one after the other because lies do not find a second leg to stand on.

The Prime Minister and his family knew in advance about Panama Paper scandal in early 2016 and therefore, they strategized to allow Hussain Nawaz, son of the Prime Minister to publically own the offshore companies through which properties in London were purchased days before the scandal made headlines in the world. The ruling family thought that the accountability law would neither come into action against Prime Minister for not being directly linked with the Panama Papers scandal, nor would his son would be implicated since Hussain has never been a member of the Parliament or held any public office.

Owning offshore companies is legal to evade taxes by hiding the identity of real owners at many foreign destinations like in Panama and British Virgin Islands. Therefore, Hussain Nawaz, was propped up in the media days before the Panama Paper scandal to admit that he owned offshore companies which he said was legal to do business abroad. The motive was to play down the scale of the scandal and de-link it from Prime Minister to avert its legal implications on his high-profile public office.

This did not end here. Yet another miscalculation of the ruling family was that banking transactions cannot be produced beyond 10 years under the law of the land in Pakistan and probably this timeframe reduces when it comes to retrieving bank transactions from elsewhere in the world, while Joint Investigating Team (JIT) already had access to much of dubious transactions from the archives of National Accountability Bureau (NAB), Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and intelligence services. These bank transactions were made in the name of one Qazi family in London to illegally transfer money abroad allegedly on behalf of the Prime Minister in 1990s.

Similarly they had a miscalculated strategy in place on how to conceal the tax records of Prime Minister and his family. The ruling family mistakenly thought that the existing law would not allow investigators and the top court to retrieve tax records beyond five years from Federal Bureau of Revenue (FBR). Now Joint Investigation Team (JIT) faces manipulative resistance from FBR in retrieving the complete income tax record of the Prime Minister and his family which the investigators would probably retrieve under court orders sooner rather than later. The tax record would help investigators to determine the scale of the circulation of money the Sharif family possessed in early 1990 when the properties in London were bought.

What led Sharif family to seek the help of the Qatari Prince?

The Supreme Court in its first round of hearing dismissed the legal pleas of the ruling family linked with ”time bar factor" excuses referred above. Therefore, as a last resort Sharif family had to rush to seek the help of its Arab friends in the Middle East. That is where the ruling family had to manufacture facts.

Incredibly Prime Minister's son Hussain Nawaz's legal defence was that his grandfather singlehandedly chose him to inherit the whole family business which the Prime Minister's father, the late Mian Muhammad Sharif first set up in Dubai, Qatar and then in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in the early 2000s, and that the sale of steel mills in Saudi Arabia helped Hussain Nawaz to purchase properties in London in 2006. The ruling family has so far failed to collect proof for this story which appears to have been concocted. An affidavit of Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jaber Al-Thani, Qatari prince attempting to own money trail to the properties in London has already been rejected by the apex court. There is so far no evidence on the record that the Sharif family purchased flats in London in 2006.

Likely Legal Grounds to Oust Prime Minister from Power

As a universal rule, the guilty mind always makes its manifestations in one way or the other. So appears to be the case with the Prime Minister. The fear of more disclosures on how allegedly he and his family ”camouflaged" their wealth in offshore companies made the Prime Minister nervous and he made mistakes one after the other. He addressed the nation several times and made speeches in the Parliament. This brought forth an inherent series of contradictions, all pointing out to the fact that Prime Minister has a lot to hide from the court. Had he not defended his family, the Prime Minister might have escaped from the accountability on technical grounds.

The Prime Minister's claims of possessing the record of each and every penny of the business empire his family owned and later his and family's failure to prove so led him to be disqualified by two senior judges. This also attracted a strongly worded order for further investigation from other three judges on April 20 this year to probe the sources of the income with which his family set up dubious offshore companies abroad through which properties in London were purchased.
The two judges invoked Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution to disqualify him since he lied to the nation by hiding his assets abroad.

They said luxury properties of the ruling family in London ostensibly are disproportionate to the known sources of income of the Prime Minister, hence they ordered the National Accountability Bureau to hold his trial on the charges of corruption and corrupt practices. Their judgment doesn't hold ground until three other judges announce their final verdict on whether or not he should be disqualified after the conclusion of the ongoing investigation. The final judgment is expected after JIT concludes its finding on July 10.

Three other judges may find more contradictory materials in the defense line of the Prime Minister and particularly after his cross examination by the JIT. Prime Minister reportedly walked out of the room when JIT grilled him about his contradictions. Therefore, it appears the judgment of three other judges may not be very different to those of the two senior judges.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/opi...ons-in-high-pitched-court-battle-in-pakistan/

Sharifs sugar mills laundered Rs1.4b in 2009

ISLAMABAD: The Chaudhry Sugar Mills, owned by the Sharif family, laundered over Rs1.4b, it has emerged.

According to his nomination papers in the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) and tax returns, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif showed himself as a paid director of the Chaudhry Sugar Mills, which laundered over Rs1.4b in 2009.

According to a letter by the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP), the sugar mill sent about Rs740m and about Rs700m abroad in 2009 and concealed the two transactions in its accounts. The letter was written by the SECP director investment to British officials. The letter was sent to UK Central Authority, Home Office, and asked it to tell the SECP about the sender of the money to the UK, because the amount was sent to the UK without any exports and an attempt was made to portray it as a legitimate business.

http://en.tehlka.tv/sharifs-sugar-mills-laundered-rs1-4b-2009/

Ushay

I can't wait for this to be over on 10 July. Out with the Shariffs! Pakistan has suffered too much corruption, its time to heal and grow.

I can't wait for this to be over on 10 July. Out with the Shariffs! Pakistan has suffered too much corruption, its time to heal and grow.

neither is likely to happen, for corruption like that is usually endemic to the current power structure, which tends to have to be completely uprooted from top to bottom for any hope of change.

Still, this is better than nothing.

I don't think they will give a judgement straight away on 10th July though it is possible. They shouldn't take 2 months this time though.

FIA team probing tampering completes its investigation, tampering is almost certainly proved through moles and examination.

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) team probing alleged record tampering by the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) finished its work on Friday after spending over two hours with the IT department of the corporate sector regulator.

The four-member FIA team, headed by Anti-Corruption Wing Director Maqsoodul Hassan, started its investigations after working hours on Friday, June 23, and ended its work on the SECP premises late on Friday, June 30.

After quizzing several SECP executives and holding meetings with the commission's senior management, the FIA team spent their final hours in the IT department.

There were rumours that certain hardware, including the laptop issued to SECP Chairman Zafar Hijazi, had also been confiscated. However, this impression was denied by a senior SECP official.

A senior SECP executive told Dawn that to ensure the security of data on the whole network, the SECP had several backup servers.

”The software operates from abroad and the data is protected at five levels," the official said. ”The FIA personnel took email records of several executives who were investigated earlier, while the option to delete previous records has been blocked in the emails of many officers."

The FIA team was established on the directives of the apex court when the JIT alleged that the SECP was involved in record-tampering.

Meanwhile, sources in the FIA said that several proofs of tampering had been collected from the SECP, some of which had even been acknowledged by mid-level and senior officers of the commission.

”They have all acknowledged that the closing note in the case of the Chaudhry Sugar Mills was penned in 2016 in the office of SECP Chairman Zafar Hijazi retroactively. This may not be a serious crime, but it also proves harassment of employees because they were made to sign it under duress," the official added.

The closing note was made by Maheen Fatima, the officer assigned to the money laundering case involving the Chaudhry Sugar Mills, while it was signed by Ali Azeem, the head of the enforcement department in 2013.

However, there was no mention of Tahir Mahmood, who was acting SECP chairman in 2013 and is the current commissioner of the Company Law Division, an FIA source said.

”This is contrary to the written reply given by the SECP to the Supreme Court," the FIA official confided.

The SECP reply stated that SECP chairman Hijazi received a briefing by the officer concerned on the issue, Ms Fatima, in the presence of Commissioner Tahir Mahmood and was informed that the matter had already been concluded and the request letter sent to UK authorities for a probe in the case was withdrawn in 2013.

The SECP response to the Supreme Court further stated that the current chairman was appointed long after the matter was closed by the respective officers.

Meanwhile, sources in the investigation agency confided that the team had unearthed new evidence of record tampering in the documentation of Hudabiya Sugar Mills and other entities owned by the Sharif family.

”But this evidence, which is related to change in the name of directors without following the due procedure, is being scrutinised," the official said, adding: ”These misdeeds are being exposed with the help of moles inside the commission."

The FIA is likely to finalise and submit its report to the JIT tomorrow (Monday).

https://www.dawn.com/news/1342700

Right now the biggest mulling point for lawyers is whether the case will be decided by this 3-member implementation bench? Or will the decision go back to the 5-member bench? 2 of which have already decided on disqualification. It would be farcical if three out of five decided on disqualification but having only three members' vote be counted.

The Panama Leaks case is about to reach its much-awaited crescendo.
And for the second time, over the past one hundred days, the entire nation is looking towards the honourable Supreme Court for accountability of the most influential family in Pakistan's politico-financial paradigm.

This case, in its narrowest sense, is about the disqualification of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
However, a deeper analysis of the issues involved (especially in regards to the ongoing drama concerning JIT proceedings) would reveal that this case is about much more than simply the disqualification of one individual.
It involves important (even existential) questions about the tenacity of our State, and its institutions, to hold the powerful and the mighty accountable for their private and public conduct.
This case is not simply about Neilsen Enterprises and Nescoll Limited; in equal measure, it is about the National Accountability Bureau and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan.
It is not simply about Maryam Safdar and Hussain Nawaz; in equal measure, it is about Qamar Zaman and Zafar Hijazi.

Amidst all the chaos concerning JIT proceedings – including alleged threats to JIT members, leaked photograph, whatsapp calls, and SECP record tampering – an important constitutional question seems to have escaped our collective focus: will the final judgment be rendered by this three-member bench, or will it be referred back to the original five-member bench for a decision?

In this regard, if the case is to be (finally) decided by this honourable three-member bench, what will be the consequence of judgments authored by Justice Asif Saeed Khosa and Justice Gulzar Ahmed? Were they of no judicial or consequential value? Let us assume, for a moment, that this three-member bench decides the case in Mr.
Nawaz Sharif's favor with a 2:1 majority (one honourable member deciding against the Prime Minister), will it not be true (then) that, of the original five members, three have decided against the Sharif family? Should he not then be disqualified?

To this end, it is important to ask: did the five-member bench render its final ”judgment" on the 20th of April? Or was ”Order of the Court" not the same as its final judgment? Put it another way, did the ”Order of the Court" dispose off the petitions in April? Is there anything in the judgment to indicate as such? Or did the court, instead, decide that it will render its final judgment after the JIT proceedings have been completed? Are the JIT proceeding, and the special three-member ‘implementation bench', merely an extension of the original proceedings? And if so, can this three-member bench render the final verdict? Or will the matter (necessarily) be referred back to original bench for its conclusive ”judgment'?

These, and related questions, are of immense consequence for the Panama case.
Because if the final judgment, post-JIT report, is to be rendered by this three-member bench, then at least two honourable judges would have to decide against the Prime Minister for him to be disqualified.
On the other hand, in case the matter is to be referred back to the original five-member bench (two of whom have already decided against the Prime Minister), only more honourable judge can effectuate the Prime Minister's disqualification.

And, keeping in mind the stakes involved, the question as to whether the judgment is to be rendered by a five or a three-member bench, could well determine the course of governance and democracy for the foreseeable future in Pakistan.

Away from political consequences, in order to answer this critical question of bench formation, it is essential to once again parse through the order of the honourable court, dated 20th of April.

A careful reading of the 547 pages, authored by five honourable judges, would reveal that, in essence, there are only two ‘final' judgments in the field: one, authored by Justice Asif Khosa (which disqualifies the Prime Minister on merits) and the other by Justice Gulzar Ahmed (which fully agrees with Justice Khosa on the merits of the case, and adds an additional note on the ”singular point" concerning the applicability and scope of Article 184(3)).

The other three honourable judges (forming the majority) did not render a ‘final' judgment.
Instead, they identified and observed the multi-faceted issues that require inquiry, before a final judgment can be announced.
In the words of Justice Ijaz-ul-Ahsan, ”regrettably, most material questions have remained unanswered or answered insufficiently by [Prime Minister] and his children.
" As a result, the ”Order of the Court", declares that there are numerous questions that ”go to the heart of the matter and need to be answered", for which a JIT has been constituted.
The Order also directs the JIT to ”submit its periodical reports every two weeks", and final report within sixty days, before a special bench (of three-members) constituted to ”ensure implementation" of the Order.
And only after the final JIT report has been completed, under the auspices of the special implementation bench, will the court pass its definitive orders/directions.

In other words, having observed ”patently contradictory statements" of the PM and his family, and that ”no effort has been made to provide even the basic answers" (Justice Ahsan), the majority decided that ”investigation appears to be necessary before we can proceed further in the matter" (Justice S.
Azmat Saeed).
To make matters clearer, Justice Azmat Saeed observes that, once the JIT furnishes its report, ”this court will examine the matter of disqualification of [PM]".

This (five-member) court.
Not a sub-set of it.

And for this reason, the majority judges did not ”dispose off" the case, as is customary whenever a final judgment has been rendered.

In light of the above, it is perhaps erroneous to assume that the ”implementation" bench can pass a final judgment by itself, instead of the original (five-member) bench.

Unfortunately, there is no real precedent for this in the recent jurisprudence of our superior courts.
A comparison with the NRO case, in which an ”implementation" bench had been constituted to oversee the carrying out of Court's directions, is also inaccurate.
Importantly, in the NRO judgment, no aspect of the case required further ”investigation", before a judgment of the court could be rendered.
The judgment (of all concerned judges) was final and declarative.
It merely needed to be implemented.

In the Panama case, on the other hand, three of the five honourable judges of the bench have yet to render their final decision.
And even if one of the (undecided) judges holds the Prime Minister guilty, Justice Asif Khosa and Gulzar Ahmed will immediately find themselves in the majority.

These are challenges times for our polity, our State institutions, and the honourable Court.
Panama case has exposed the caustic nature of our politics (re: Nihal Hashmi), and the feeble state of our institutions (re: Qamar Zaman and Zafar Hjiazi).
The honourable Court, however, must stay clear of all such passions and prejudices.
As it has, so far.

Entering into the final stages of this politico-legal saga, it is important that we adhere to the constitutional requirements and procedures, which form the bedrock of our teetering democracy.
As such, the five-member bench, which heard the Panama case at length, must render the final judgment.
Whatever that judgment might be.
Because the last thing that we, as a people, can afford at this stage, is a controversy concerning why a (majority of?) three-member bench determined the fate of Panama case, and why the judgments rendered by Justice Khosa and Justice Gulzar were not counted towards the outcome.

http://nation.com.pk/columns/02-Jul-2017/three-member-or-five-member-bench

Captain Safdar - husband of Maryam Nawaz, offers a laughable reply to JIT's inquiries on how he spends the expenses of his family. This forced the JIT's hand in summoning Maryam Nawaz.

The answers given by Maryam Nawaz's husband Retired Captain Safdar during the questioning by Joint Investigation Team (JIT), probing offshore wealth of the Sharif family in the Panamagate Case, became the cause of his wife's summoning in the case.

During the questioning, the probe team had asked how is he paying the expenses of his family on which he replied that he was a "poor man" and is managing to fulfill the family's needs in some way.

When being asked to mention his NTN(National Tax Number) , Safdar replied that he doesn't have one.

The JIT also asked how he was paying for his children's foreign education expenses.

When he was questioned about the payments of expenses for his foreign tours, he said that his wife knows about the details.

It should be noted that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's daughter Maryam Nawaz has been summoned by the JIT on 5th July.

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/07/jit-summoned-maryam-nawaz-because-of-captain-safdars-answers/

Then you have Maryam tweeting pictures of her son playing polo in England, studying in an expensive university whereas millions of children are out of school in Pakistan. Or her daughter celebrating a lavish birthday party in a country where millions of children suffer from stunted growth due to malnutrition.

Then you have the gall to go and try to sell the fact that you are a poor man? So where did the bloody money come from?

CzabRMiW8AAzrQA.jpg

CzabpA4XcAASOj9.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom