• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panel De Pon DS , Super Paper Mario screens

God damn what a sweet ass looking game.
Honestly
Pixel numbers and bloom lighting and AA aside, why bother when you can have something this good? i really hope the next Zelda uses this style of art design!!
The goodness just doesn't stop coming, Nintendo are pacing their releases, releasing little media until a month or two before a release and allowing 3rd parties to have some time to themselves.
BRAVO nintendo....Bravo!

Aeana said:
Hmm... if Panel de Pon is sideways like that, how can you use the buttons to move the blocks? :( A touchscreen mode is just fine, but if it's touchscreen only... that stinks. :( I've used the homebrew Tetris Attack DS and using the touchscreen mode feels like a completely different game. I like to play with both!

And I never liked holding the DS sideways, anyway... it's not very comfortable with a regular DS (I don't have a Lite).

I'd imagine that the touch screen was made to move the cursor, while the L/R buttons would be to swap blocks back and forth.

Jonnyram said:
Thank god noone went to Famitsu's site to check the PdP details eh.
You can have 4 players over wireless LAN, there are also wi-fi battles (doesn't say if it's 4 players or not) and you can voice chat while battling.

Oh, and it's developed by Intelligent Systems.

FAP FAP FAP!!!!

Can we get more details please?? Gameplay? Tell me they haven't made stylus play mendatory. I want to play the good ol' way!

itsme

Banned
I'm disappointed by the dry looking Panel De Pon... I always prefered Panel De Pon over Tetris Attack/Puzzle League due to the art presentation. Very dry...looks like some home brew project.

Neomoto

Pureauthor said:
SPM, PDP2, Ouendan 2, DQIX, MP3, MGS4, Halo 3, DMC4, PW3, PW4, SMG, FE:GoD...

2007 = BEST YEAR FOR GAMING EVER CONFIRMED
You forgot a couple but yeah, incredible year indeed!

Also, Intelligent Systems seems to be in full force! All those awesome games rapidly after eachother. Only thing missing for the time being is a Fire Emblem DS, which I'm sure will come rather sooner than later, right? :(

Nintendo probably wanted to make it more appealing to all sorts of people.

It'd still be nice if there were optional characters to play as. Lip versus Raphael Raven!

Odinson

I never played paper mario but I will be picking up SPM. I'm beginning to become interested in games I wouldn't care about during the GC days. Keep it up Nintendo.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Not that I'm not looking forward to SPM, I really am, but I hope IS brings us another normal Paper Mario too at some point on the Wii. It's one of only a few turnbased RPGs I actually enjoy.

Batongen

Banned
I really want this game. Hopefully the 2d to 3d transitions aren't too tedious, but I shouldn't have any real doubts, it's IntSYS :D

Kirk

Totally stoked for both games, and I'm so glad that Paper Mario didn't get dumped. Panel de Pon looks totally generic, which sucks, but it might actually be better than the original Panel de Pon design anyway...But really, 4 players? It could be black and white for all I care, I'm in. Please, please let there be at least one single cartridge compatible mode.

Ranger X

Holy shit that's Super Mario Bros 1-2 level...

h-104_67428_070221pamario03.jpg.jpg

What the hell is going on in this game? SMB remix unlockable? Classic levels spread out through the game?? ?

Jcgamer60 said:
Yeah, but i know what he means. Super mario RPG is one of my all time favourite snes games. Nintendo + square ftw.

From what I've been told, Alphadream is comprised of the development staff that originally worked on Super Mario RPG. So Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga technically IS a sequel, it just has some new gameplay mechanics and a different graphical style. (And Luigi for more than a few quick references!)

Including a Geno cameo is probably a strong hint.

But wow. A new Panel de Pon... I know at least one person who might buy a DS just for that. It'd be nice if they threw in some skins referencing the different versions, like Yoshi and Lip, maybe even Pokémon for the Puzzle Leaguers, but in the end, the gameplay is what matters, and that's one addicting game. And if there's really WiFi in it... phew.

Super Paper Mario looks beyond awesome, too. Interesting to see that the "retro" sprites are back to original colors. At one point, they seemed torn between having "actual" retro sprite colors, or the retro sprites, but with more current colorations (I.E. Mario with a red shirt and blue overalls.)

ethelred

Mama Smurf said:
Not that I'm not looking forward to SPM, I really am, but I hope IS brings us another normal Paper Mario too at some point on the Wii. It's one of only a few turnbased RPGs I actually enjoy.

Well, Paper Mario's not one of the "few" turn-based RPGs that I enjoy, but I do enjoy it enormously, and yes, I hope we get a Paper Mario 3 as well.

Kulock said:
From what I've been told, Alphadream is comprised of the development staff that originally worked on Super Mario RPG. So Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga technically IS a sequel, it just has some new gameplay mechanics and a different graphical style. (And Luigi for more than a few quick references!)

The director of Mario RPG went on to direct Mario & Luigi. And yes, if you look at the dev staff, the two games share a lot of people in common (including the enormously talented Yoko Shimomura).

traveler

Not Wario
I hate to rain on the love parade, but I too, I'm afraid to admit, can't see the GOTY glory that so many are proclaiming here. It looks like New Super Mario Bros. with RPG requirements for abilities I should have already (I have to learn how to jump on and kill Goombas? WTF?) and a cool, little twist in the form of the 2D/3D switching. I mean, I think it'll be plenty good and all, just not great.

Panel de Pon looks a little bland, but who cares? It's Tetris Attack for the DS. Now THAT is something I can get behind.

Edit: Just noticed so references to it popping up, so I figured I'd chime in. I really liked the SNES Mario RPG, noticeably moreso, even, than the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games.

I just hope Super Paper Mario is going to be challenging. I heard it was only 8 levels.

The puzzles look cool, but so were SOME of them in Paper Mario RPGs, and they were entirely too easy.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The wide screen looks funfastic in this game. I can't remember a game that looked so improved in Wide Screen. WOW.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Sold and SOLD!!!

Panel is without question the best vs. puzzle game ever, and SPM looks awe inspiring.

Jcgamer60

Kulock said:

Thats news to me. Never Bothered with superstar saga, but i have heard good things about it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm sure Panel de Pon will turn out fine being by IntSys, but I was hoping for a theme as well. And of course...

SUPA PAPEA MARIO IS GON ROCK!

Odrion

Banned
Wow, now I'm excited.

Please don't be 8 levels like that guy said, please don't be 8 levels like that guy said...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Bah. I was hoping we'd see some actual new screens with new locales or something for SPM. Not Having Bowser in the underground SMB level and calling it new.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oblivion said:
Bah. I was hoping we'd see some actual new screens with new locales or something for SPM. Not Having Bowser in the underground SMB level and calling it new.

Hey but now it is in widescreen, which must count for something.

Harukio

Super Paper Mario looks sweet in action, and I bet the same will be for Panel de Pon.
Also while Panel de Pon may look to "clean" or "dry" it may likely hold some surprises.
(and both games probably aren't showing much further than the first or second level/mode anyway)

Armitage

BuzzJive said:
h-104_67428_070221pamario.jpg.jpg

h-104_67428_070221pamario02.jpg.jpg

I can't stop trying to picture the transition between these two shots. This game looks so pretty.

I didn't even realize this were pictures of the same place until you pointed it out! I wasn't really that excited for this game but I'm probably going to pick it up when it releases if it's as good as everyone is saying.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
I don't know why anyone said there is AA in this game. yea, when all the lines are straight, but come on.

He was saying that a game can look good WITHOUT bloom lighting, AA, etc. Besides, as you pointed out, with all the right angles and straight lines, AA would not be very effective.

ant1532

Banned
the girl next door said:
Why is there a LIFE BAR?!?! :(
Mario's supposed to be "1 hit and you're dead"....
It has a lot of RPG elements people. It aint no straight up platformer.

PantherLotus is welcomed to argue.

Both looked over and above awesome.

Panel de Pon DS. Nintendo, I am going to have sex with you. **** Yes.

I don't even care that it looks dry. It's Panel de Pon! Yoshi stuff would be cool though, but if it gets any facelift for America it'll be Pokemon.

Jiggy

I'm seriously hoping Super Paper Mario doesn't disappoint. I hate having any kind of doubt at all considering how much I want 2D Mario to be prominent on home consoles again (and, ideally, lead the way for numerous other 2D home console games both from Nintendo and other developers), and considering that SPM looks so creative, interesting, and conceptually awesome, but admittedly the movement in the Paper Mario games was a bit rough and felt too weighted for the franchise. Hopefully, though, with less "RPG" to focus on this time around, Intelligent Systems really buckled down and worked on getting the platforming right.

agent069 said:
Touch screen Panel De Pon, is gonna be pretty frantic, we can't wait to try it on, it sounds fantasctic!

Not only that, but more intuitive to control, at least in my book.

JoDark said:
Panel is without question the best vs. puzzle game ever

Puyo Puyo says hi.

Top Bottom