• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Dragoon: Remake is 90% off on PC

Mr Hyde

Played through it a couple of times on Switch. I also bought it dirt cheap, like 90 % off. The game pretty good, but I have a nostalgic boner for the original so that might play into my opinion. It's a pretty faithful remake, old school OST is there and the iconic intro and cut scenes haven't been messed with. So for me who has no longer access to the original, this remake is as good as it gets. I hope Zwei and Orta gets a remake too.

Buggy Loop

Played through it a couple of times on Switch. I also bought it dirt cheap, like 90 % off. The game pretty good, but I have a nostalgic boner for the original so that might play into my opinion. It's a pretty faithful remake, old school OST is there and the iconic intro and cut scenes haven't been messed with. So for me who has no longer access to the original, this remake is as good as it gets. I hope Zwei and Orta gets a remake too.

I sadly only played Orta and a bit of Panzer dragoon

Me and my friends as teenagers we rented the Saturn in Canada which had a ridiculous high price. We even had to have a $500 deposit to rent it (WTF) and we played Panzer Dragoon all night with beers. That's pretty much it. Never had more Saturn experiences. But i'm glad to really return to this game now, and hopefully there's talk of one day remastering Zwei.

What happened to this?

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
iconic intro and cut scenes haven't been messed with.
Unfortunately I have to disagree; the chilling scream of the Dragoon when its original rider dies is changed and muffled now. I used to always get goosebumps at that moment in the intro, but in the remake I don't feel it at all.

Wildebeest

It is enjoyable, but there are apparently enough differences to really annoy people who have replayed the original to death.

coffinbirth

Double-dipped this at launch, but this is an excellent deal.

Also, still a glimmer of hope for Zwei...

From Feb. 24th 2023:

"Monika Ginter (Marketing & Communications Manager at Forever Entertainment) has also confirmed that the game is work in progress. Although the game was previously stated to be released in 2021, this was an “unfortunate” tweet made by someone who no longer works at Forever Entertainment. There is no confirmed release window for Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake."

I wrote a review for Panzer Dragoon for anyone interested.

I put it in spoilers as not to take up to much space, but please feel free to read:

The game sucks.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I wrote a review for Panzer Dragoon for anyone interested.

I put it in spoilers as not to take up to much space, but please feel free to read:

The game sucks.
You ever play Orta? That’s the only I’ve played and it was pretty badass in 2003

Last edited:

Skyfox

It's fun on steam deck. I think the crappy (in comparison to the original) cgi doesn't play on the deck, but the game looks and plays great!

Reactions: GHG

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd rather forget it exists so Sega can give it to a better dev with a bigger budget next time to bring the whole series on par with Orta at least. Unless Zwei is still on the way and proves they actually do have what it takes this was a sub par effort. Similarly for HOTD which was pointless without a gun. Granted their Front Mission remakes seem a little better but that's a whole different thing, I guess it's easier to copy paste and tweak turn based mechanics compared to getting the feel of a shooter right or even improving on an original title by looking at what its successors did as PD needed so🤷‍♂️

And nah this just doesn't feel good, Zwei doesn't have Orta's form altering shenanigans but is still a far superior game and perfect itself. The graphical improvements are lacking too, sure there are more polygons but they're based on the original low res blocky graphics with a weird art style on top and no actual details, ie the city structures still don't make sense where you'd imagine there are roads, walkways, etc., that would now be perfectly visible with the better visuals and only weren't included due to the low fidelity of the original, just don't exist, so the buildings and world make 0 sense.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
For that price its worth it to own a bit of gaming history, but the game itself is very barebones for someone who played Orta before this.

Orta is still a near-perfect game after 20 years and still feels 'modern' while this remake of the first game feels somewhat dated. Your dragon being able to change to fit your playstyle or certain enemies made Orta an entirely different experience imo.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
guy-knocking-walls-i-m-in-oe0to1pgae9vqe4t.gif

For that price its worth it to own a bit of gaming history, but the game itself is very barebones for someone who played Orta before this.

Orta is still a near-perfect game after 20 years and still feels 'modern' while this remake of the first game feels somewhat dated. Your dragon being able to change to fit your playstyle or certain enemies made Orta an entirely different experience imo.

The original is worth playing at the very least to have a frame of reference and because some story bits tie to the rest of the series. The stellar artstyle, atmosphere and soundtrack make it shine. Gameplay-wise its sequel (Zwei) was such a massive improvement while also expanding the lore and retaining its atmosphere that it may make the original feel rough around the edges a bit, but still fun. And challenging.

The remake .. eh, it's a remake with a lot of shitty choices wrapped amateurishly together. The original's replay value wasn't good to begin with, and the remake magnifies that about tenfold while throwing away the novelty and introducing issues that make it play worse. It is worth playing as an alternative, it's not bad, and obviously a must for fans like me. It's just a damn shame that it's so cheaply and stupidly cobbled together. I hope to God they make it right with Zwei.

Orta is my least favorite in the series because it feels like an after-though, and eventually i found out that it basically was. Kind of butchered that unique atmosphere and lore, which believe it or not were key pillars in the design process of this IP. It's not a memorable game and i haven't bothered to replay it since, while i have replay both Panzer Dragoon a few times and Panzer Dragoon Zwei about a billion times. But i do agree that it has excellent gameplay, best in the (rail shooter) series.

Krathoon

All they got to do is release emulated versions of the whole series using an HD resolution. People would lap it up.

Last edited:

Miles708

The original is worth playing at the very least to have a frame of reference and because some story bits tie to the rest of the series. The stellar artstyle, atmosphere and soundtrack make it shine. Gameplay-wise its sequel (Zwei) was such a massive improvement while also expanding the lore and retaining its atmosphere that it may make the original feel rough around the edges a bit, but still fun. And challenging.

The remake .. eh, it's a remake with a lot of shitty choices wrapped amateurishly together. The original's replay value wasn't good to begin with, and the remake magnifies that about tenfold while throwing away the novelty and introducing issues that make it play worse. It is worth playing as an alternative, it's not bad, and obviously a must for fans like me. It's just a damn shame that it's so cheaply and stupidly cobbled together. I hope to God they make it right with Zwei.

Feel the same (but how you dare talk badly about Orta! :messenger_grinning_squinting:) , all in all i think the remake kind of lessens the legacy of the game and anyone playing it for the first time would just think it wasn't anything specialto begin with.
That's not how you treat such an important series.

Scotty W

Game is way overrrated

Krathoon

I went ahead and bought it. I had it on the Switch. The load times in the remake annoys me. Makes you just want to play the original.

Top Bottom